Happy Birthday

Black hole of Vulnerability

[3rd person point of view]

 

"AGH!!!!!!"

Taemin had just woke up in tears at 8am. Another nightmare with his father had waken him once again.

Onew got out of bed, opened the door with a water bottle in hand and sat on the younger boy's bed. This routine had been going on ever since Taemin was his "room mate." 

"Are you okay? What happened?" 

Usually Onew wouldn't ask what happened in Taemin's dream, but seeing the young kid crying made him wonder. 

 

Taemin told his older friend about what his father said during his late night visit.

"Happy Birthday, you're one year closer to dying. One year closer to hell." 

"It's my birthday today. And he said that." Another tear dropped from Taemin's face. "When it was my birthday, when he was alive, it was great... he would tell me he loved me and he and Umma would bake Angel Cake for me, and we'd all eat it together with hyung. My dad and mom always made angel cake because they said I was their little angel from heaven."

 

 

Onew was pretty speechless. He had no good advice to tell his dongsaeng. He thought about it for a while, and it was a long awkward pause in the room. 

"..."

"Happy birthday Taemin," Onew silently spoke.
 

Taemin looked over at Onew. Onew smiled awkwardly, leading Taemin to do the same. Taemin sighed and wiped his face and breathed deeply, looking at his hyung once again.

"Thanks. I haven't heard that in a while." 

Onew nodded and patted his little friend, "Don't worry, today, we'll do things that you haven't done in a while." And left the room.

 

 

 

 

 

 

[Onew's POV:]

 

I walked back into my room, a little dramatic like, leaving Taemin with a question hanging in his mind.
"What is hyung talking about?"

 

Well, I thought about it. Dr Sung always tells me, "In order to be happy, you have to make others happy."  And I realize now, I should stop rolling my eyes when she says that because it's kind of true.

Well, that's what I'll be testing out today.

 

Since today IS Taemin's birthday, I should do something nice for him. I've been here for 10 years and on my birthday, my good friends Junghee and Gwiboon always visit me here and we have a tiny birthday party for me. It's the happiest day out of my depressing years, to be quite honest. So, I was thinking I should do something nice for Taemin and try to get to know him. 

I wanna be more than his private nurse. I'd like to be his friend. 

 

I dialed up Jungee on the hospital phone line.

"Yobosayo?" 

"Junghee! Hey. It's Onew."

"Hey oppa, what's up? Why'd you call so early..."

"I need to ask you for a favor, if you don't mind?"

"Alright, what is it?"

"It's my friend's birthday today, so I was wondering if you could get some Angel cake? And a nice plushie too. Please?"

"Wow, this person sounds pretty special to you Onew oppa!"

"I just wanna make a new friend is all."

"Okay, I'll drop it off before I go to work. I'll be there at 11."

"Araso. Bye Junghee, see you soon!"

 

 

 

 

[10AM Therapy session:]

Dr Sung: I hear you called someone at 8am on hospital line. Who'd you call?

Onew: Junghee.

Dr Sung: How come?

Onew: I asked her to bring me a cake.

Dr Sung: Is it your birthday today? *looks at her files to see if it's his birthday today*

Onew: Aniyo. It's Taemin's. 

Dr Sung: You're throwing him a party?

Onew: Yeah, it's a small party. Just the 2 of us.

Dr Sung: What gave you the idea for a birthday party?

Onew: You always say to make others happy so I can be happy, so I'm gonna test it out.

Dr Sung: *smiles warmly* I think that's adorable.

Onew: Yah -_- It's not like.... I like him or anything.. I'm just being nice.

Dr Sung: Alright Onew, I believe you. *checks time* It's already been an hour. I guess our session is done with?

Onew: Right, I should go, Junghee might be in the waiting room.

Dr Sung: Alright, tell me how the party goes, yes?

Onew: *walking to the door and nods head*

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

[A/N: Happy Birthday Taemin! =)

Alright. I hope you guys liked this. And also, comment please! 

I'll write about the party either tonight or tomorrow (story was written at 8:44 on Sunday, 17, July 2011)

Thank you.]