First Impressions Pt. 1

Our New Roommate is actually a...FANGIRL IN DIGUISE!?!?!

"They said I could go. What about you?" You say into your cell phone. 

"It took a lot of persuading but they finally said it was okay. Why don't you sound excited?" The sound of dramatic music from a drama that Eun Mi is watching can be heard in the background. 

"I am excited. Can't you tell?" 

"No." A very blunt response.

"Well I am. It's just that I feel really weird lying to my parents." 

"It's not like it's the first time you have." 

"But this time it's about a serious matter. I dunno I just need time to adjust to the changes I guess." You scroll down the list of emails in your fanpage's inbox, opening each one and answering the questions.

"You should of seen the looks my parents were giving me. I thought my mom was going to  cry."

"Same. My mom said that she was happy I was, and I quote, "changing the course of my life for the better." You raise your fingers into air quotations. She snickers. "Hmmpmmh. Yeah, I can imagine her doing that." 

"Our parents are a strange and rare species." You say, clicking the little boxes to the side of every answered email and pressing delete. The voices of two people bickering suddenly fills the speaker of your phone.

"What are you watching anyways?" You click on the "forums" button.

"Coffee Prince. Trying to get a feel of what you're going to go through in the next 3 months."  You snort. 

"You know that part where Eunchan almost gets caught changing? I wonder if that'll happen to you." 

"Uh, I certainly hope not. That's so unfair."

"What?"

"Why is it that some people are born with such insanely good looks?" You complain.

"Who?"

"Doojoon." You stare intensely at a picture of Doojoon from the making of IRIS 2. How can a guy look so damn fine in suit? 

"Life's not made to be fair. Some people are born with perfection. The unlucky others aren't."  You swear she is fliping her hair as she says this.

"Why do I feel like you're implying something. Hmm?"

"Whaat? Noo." 

"Well some people are born annoying as hell while the lucky others aren't." 

"HAHAHA no."

"Keke." You close all the tabs on your browser and turn off your computer. 

"Oh by the way did your parents sign all of the forms yet?" "Yup, my dad's going to the bank tomorrow to get money for the first month's fees." 

"Good. I have homework to do, I'll talk to you tomorrow."

"Okay. I'm so excited."

"Yea, me too."

 

 

~One Week Later~

 

 

"Here we are."

'Holy smokes."

 

 

The school looks bigger and more intimidating in real life compared to the picture on the brochure. Your neck is sore from trying to find the top of the school. The roof is still yet to be seen.

The morning sunlight shines onto the glass panels covering different sections of each wall, giving the building a majestic glow. Herds of students are walking around in pairs and groups or hanging around on the benches scattered around the front waiting for the first bell to ring.

The front of the school expands kilometers to the right and to the left. Rows of neatly trimmed shrubs covered by thick blankets of snow line the bottom of the school and mazes where colourful flowers are planted in the summer cover the school's yard. Everything is cut and arranged to perfection. The atmosphere smells crisp, cool and fresh.

"This place is giving me the creeps. Everything is just too right. You know what I mean?"

"Uh, that was a weird way of putting it but yeah. You can practically smell the richness from everyone and everything." She clutches tightly onto your arm. 

"The people here seem either really intimidating or really stuck up" You reply, looking over at a group of girls touching up their make up using their fancy $500 phones as mirrors. 

"I'm so nervous, look." She raises a shaking hand towards you.  

"Come on Eun, get a grip. We're just normal students going to school. No big deal. It's okay. Besides, we have something important to do." You grab her hand in attempt to stop it from shaking.

"If it's so okay then why is your voice shaky?" 

"It's cold outside today, I'm underdressed." You say despite your wool coat and chunky scarf. "Let's just do this." Mustering up what is left of your courage, you straighten up and begin walking towards the large glass doors. 

"Hey, wait up!" Eun Mi runs after you.

 

...

 

"Class, this is Lee ~~~. He's a new student here. Help him to get comfortable; show him around, make sure he doesn't yet lost. Okay?" 

"Yes Mr. Hwang." The class choruses.  You scratch the back of your head sheepishly. "Hi I'm ~~~. Please take care of me." You bow a 90 degree bow. 

"There's a seat behind Chung-Hee. You can sit there." Mr.Hwang gestures at an empty desk behind a skinny boy with gelled up hair. "Thanks sir." You reply and make your way over to the appointed seat. 

"The rest of you open your textbooks to page 126." Sounds of bags opening and pages being flipped fills the silent room.

Why is it so quiet in here? Must be cause it's a Monday morning. You look around at your classmates and get out the required textbook. Everybody looks so serious. You notice everyone's straight sitting posture and correct your own.  Back at your school, the beginning of class starts out with loud chattering, obnoxious bickering and random bursts of laughter. The teacher would take a good three minutes trying to calm everyone down so that they can start a lesson. Usually by hitting a meter stick against the students' desks.

Do they even talk? You decide to test this out by tapping the shoulder of this Chung-Hee in front of you. He turns around and looks at you with a look of surprise as if he wasn't used to people tapping him. 

"Sorry, but can you tell me what page we should be on?"  He doesn't reply, just raises his textbook and points at the bottom corner of the page. Nope, they really don't talk at all.  

You pull out a blank notebook from your bag and write down the questions Mr. Hwang  is writing on the board. As he goes on about the history of ancient Korea you jot down the important points. Typically, you weren't the type to daydream or lose focus in class, but the newness of everything was so distracting. Must not lose focus. Ancient Korean history is interesting. Must not lose-gawh just this one time. You quickly avert your eyes from your notebook after losing the internal battle.

What you saw amazed you so much that you had to stop yourself before you said something verbally. The first moment you had stepped into the classroom was a nerve wracking and tensed moment so there really wasn't time for you to take in the surroundings. But now that you looked around, your old classroom ain't got nothing on this one. The walls were neatly covered from one wall to the other with detailed diagrams, historical pictures, and the perfect work of previous students. Cloth maps hung from the high ceiling and off to the side were shiny new looking smart boards and projectors. Tables display mini replicas of various historical landscapes.

Ah, this is where all the money goes to. No wonder the fees are so freaking high. You take note of the real mahogany wood cover of your desk and the thin self-moulding cushions placed strategically on the bottom and back of your chair. Your old school should really get some designing tips from here. You trace the surface of your desk. There's not even a single scratch. You shake your head in bewilderment. This place is, what's the word? Oh yeah. Perfect. Too bad you're only staying for a couple of months.

Okay that's enough. Back to work. You look back at the blackboard up front. To your horror, it was covered completely with new writing and labelled diagrams. Better get writing.

 

...

 

You have second period with Eun Mi so you wait outside her math classroom, that was on the same floor as your history room, after the first period bell.  "You okay?" You ask, taking in the dazed look in her eyes. 

"..." 

"Hey Euuuun. Did you hear me?" 

"The classrooms. The classrooms. They're, they're so beautiful. It's like we're not even in a school." She finally manages to get out. You laugh.

"I know right? I never knew schools could even look so nice." 

"Can we just stay here for the rest of our lives?" She gawks around at the marble flooring of the hallways and the neat arrangement of framed photographs and paintings lining the walls.

"Pwhahaha yeah maybe if our parents become multi-millionaires who own large franchises acround the country overnight. Considering their real income, we'll probably be out living on the streets after a year of schooling here."  

Eun Mi chuckles and proceeds to look at the framed pictures hanging on the hallway walls. You follow her.

Just as you are examining a watercolour painting of a lake house  in the summer, you hear mounted excited chatter and squealing. The heck? You spin around just in time to see a group of six tall guys making their way from a large throng of people. As they come closer, you realize with a start that they are B2ST. You freeze. Every muscle in your body seems to have stopped working. This moment. The moment where you can actually see them up close is finally here. Why doesn't your body seem to work properly? 

You finally break from your frozen state as they are only a couple meters from you and act out a state of annoyance and disinterest. Although your heart is racing at a rate that is not at all healthy, you put up a pretty good act. Do not react this way. You warn yourself. Think manly thoughts ~~~. You are supposed to be a man. 6 incredibly good looking and talented guys should not move you for you are a man.

Man. Man. Man. You chant in your head. But as they arrive at the classroom to your right, you can't help but look up at them. Your mouth drops open. 

Shit they are good looking. Okay that was an extremely bad idea. I can't look away now.

Was their skin always so nice?

Did they always have such y hair?

Why does it look like they are glowing?

God their eyes are mesmerizing. No stop, look away. You silently will yourself to no prevail.

Finally, you succeed but not until they are two inches away from you. They pass by you. The world seems to have stopped. You hold your breath. It is only when they finally make it to their second period classroom that you dare to breathe again. I'm going to have to get used to this. But it's going to be so so hard. 

You look down at the people in the hallway. There were girls fanning themselves and taking drinks from their chrome water bottles. Others were dazed in their spot or clasping hands with their friends and squealing. Is that someone on the floor? The guys on the other hand only looked mildly impressed. Some looked bored and rolled their eyes at the overly excited female population. If girls who regualrly go to school with them can't get used to it, how am I supposed to?

 

...

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

[A/N] Not really sure if the Coffee Prince reference part actually happened.  It's been a while since I watched it. I think it was from a parody of the drama.