The Wedding Monster

Push and Pull of Love and Hate

Yi Jeong was stumped to see Ga Eul bawling shamesslessly. It was a loud, piercing cry like that of a three-year old yanked away the largest toy store in the world. It was so disturbing that he had to stop the car.

"Waaaaaahhhhhhhhh!" She blew her nose loudly on her handkerchief.

"Yah! Ga Eul-yang, listen to me, will you?" He shook her slightly.

"No! I won't listen to you, you imp! Liar!" She hit him with her handbag then she hit him with her fists. Numerous times. And he let her until she was making nothing more than a slight whimper. She was sobbing on his chest helplessly and he couldn't help but feel guilty.

"C-can you do this for Jan Di and Omma?" He asked awkwardly.

"You're so selfish, So Yi Jeong! You are the most selfish person I've ever met!" She shrugged out of his touch and glowered at him. "You didn't even think how my family would feel because of this. And what will people think of me after all this? That I've been dumped by His Royal Highness, Prince Yi Jeong of Korean Despotism? God, you didn't even ask me if I want to be part of your stupid plan! You really think you have power over the people around you? How dare you!" She hit him with her hand bag once again. He won't be surprised if he'll emerge black and blue out of this.

"Ga Eul-yang. . .I am so sorry. But Jan Di has left me no choice--"

"Jan Di, Jan Di, Jan Di! Now I understand why my best friend keeps running away from her family! You've never given her free reign on her life like the way she wanted to. You always think you're right, you always think the world revolves around you!" She yelled angrily.

"I am only doing this to distract Omma. Do you know that our mother's sick, Ga Eul-yang?"

Ga Eul was taken aback. Chung Ae looks anything but sick. But she remembered Yi Jeong's horrified expression when she lost consciousness awhile ago. "What?"

"She kept thinking about my sister that she needs diversion. Badly. And this staged wedding will monopolize her attention for the time being. Until I find Jan Di." He had a faraway expression on his face. Ga Eul didn't say anything. She was still fuming with rage.

Yi Jeong started the car and drove in silence for long minutes. She can already see the airport's entrance when he spoke again. "If you really don't want to do this then I'll just tell Omma the truth." He said in a calm voice. What Ga Eul said really hit home. Was he really that bad of a brother?

"What does she have?" She asked.

"Cardiac arrhythmia." He sighed heavily. Jan Di wasn't even aware. He not supposed to know too until he discovered what's inside a locked room in the Geum mansion. It was converted into an intensive care unit, complete with ECG machine, ventilators, breathing machine, syringe and infusion pumps and so on. "You see, that's a traitor disease. I don't want her to be thinking of anything stressful."

Ga Eul couldn't agree more. It was the exact same heart ailment that claimed her father's life immaturely. They were already walking towards the boarding gate when she called him.

"Sunbae." He looked at her with a blank expression on his face. "I'll do it." She said simply and walked ahead of him. A sad smile crept up his face because of that.

**************************************************************************

"Why don't you try to take a nap in the garden, Ga Eul-sshi?" Chung Ae asked. It was just the two of them having lunch in the long dining table. "I'll ask the maid to install the hammock under the shady tree.

"Thank you, Ahjumma." She smiled a bit. If she really is marrying Yi Jeong then she could be the happiest daughter-in-law in the world. His parents're really thoughtful. She heard the stories of her co-workers about their in-laws and it was not an exaggeration to say that some were really alarming.

Since they arrived from Cheju, Chung Ae thought it was only fitting that she lives in their house. She'd let her visit her house to get her clothes but she sent a driver to accompany her just to make sure she comes back. She wasn't even able to say goodbye to Jae Joong properly. She wanted to take her words back and leave Yi Jeong hanging but she's worried on how she'll take it. She would rather put up with him than be the reason of Chung Ae's heart attack.

[flashback]

Ga Eul can see that Yong San was in the verge of hitting her because of what she thought she did. And she can't blame her. Her aunt trusted her so much and she never gave him any problems when she was in school. Only now that she's twenty-five years old. Yong San was panting and pale when they arrived in the Geum mansion. True to her words, Chung Ae summoned Yong San to talk about 'their future'. She wanted the earth to swallow her alive.

"What are you planning to do?" She looked straight at Yi Jeong's eyes.

"I'll marry Ga Eul-yang, Ahjumma." He said and if she didn't know better, she couldn't tell that he was JUST acting. Determination in his voice mirrored those in his eyes.

"How can I trust you with my niece's life when it didn't even occur to you that you have to introduce yourself to her mother, to me. Excuse me," She looked at Chung Ae and Chin Hae who's been sitting silently in the adjacent couch. "But I don't even know your son. I may know Jan Di but--" Yong San was fighting her tears.

Chin Hae cleared his throat. "Ms. Chu, rest assured that my son will take the responsibility."

"He should." She said. "You have to pay a visit in Busan." She declared. "I am not telling Mee Kyong about this. YOU go there and let your mother know." Yong San glared at her.

[end of flashback]

"The coordinator that one of my friends recommended would arrive this afternoon. She was the one Kwon Sang Woo hired for his wedding last year." Ga Eul's jaw dropped. Until now, nobody in Korean show business can surpass the wedding of Kwon Sang Woo and Son Tae Young. It was even featured as 'Wedding of the Century' in People magazine. "And don't you think it's more appropriate that you call me 'Omma'?"

She coughed from drinking the water because of her last statement. "Err. . .Don't you think it's too early to be planning about it? I mean, we still have to go to Busan--"

"What do you mean too early? Ga Eul-ah, six months isn't even enough to plan a beautiful wedding. And we can exhaust all of Yi Jeong's savings and it's still not enough!" She laughed. "But if you don't want to talk to the coordinator now then we can always reset the meeting."

Before she can react, the teak double doors to the dining area flew open. "I'm home!"