Freaky Unfamiliarity

Push and Pull of Love and Hate

Yi Jeong glanced briefly to his side where Ga Eul lay sleeping soundly before focusing his eyes on the road. She was even snoring lightly. He smiled. She's the only girl who slept on him. They arrived in Cheju after an hour flight and he rented a car to get them to their villa. The weather's not good and it was drizzling lightly that he had to turn the wipers on.

A few more minutes and he saw the exit where he had to turn. Before he could do that though, a car cut him off and swerved carelessly, missing their car by an inch, pushing him onto the other side of the road. He was panting when he pulled over. Ga Eul woke up from the sudden jerk. He was staring blankly onto the dark abyss in front of them. He was very close on hitting the guardrail and he can only guess what's on the other side.

"Are we there yet?" She asked, rubbing her eyes. "Hey, you're so pale." She mumbled and placed a hand on her forehead. Then she probably noticed that they were sitting on the side of the road. "What are we doing here in the freeway? Are you sick?" She asked frantically.

"N-no." He wasn't expecting her reaction. "I am alright. It's just that. . ." He shook his head. What if they really were hit? What if she's hurt? His heart was still pounding from adrenaline rush. "We're almost hit by. . .a drunk driver." He's sure the other had been drinking based on the way that he was driving. Her big brown eyes widened.

"Oh my god!" She slumped onto her seat and relief flooded across her face. "Do you want me to drive?" She asked and he shook his head. He swallowed hard.

"I am sorry I woke you." He mumbled.

"I shouldn't have slept on you in the first place." She said in an apologetic tone. He started the engine and made u-turn to get onto the exit again. He was extra careful in driving as the roads are all wet now. The drizzle became a full-blown rain. The awkward silence was defeaning him when she spoke.

"Who told you Jan Di's here in. . .in Cheju?" She asked.

"The one that looks after our vacation home. It was a good thing he called me and not Omma." He's sure Chung Ae will be alerting their jet and will be flying to Cheju without thinking any further. But knowing his sister, she wouldn't like it. She'll just insist on doing what she wants to do and won't listen. Sometimes, he was wondering what really she really is up to. When they were much younger, they were the best of friends. She even admitted having this huge crush on Ji Hoo when they were kids. But as they grew older, they just drifted apart. And his spending four years in Paris didn't help a bit in the growing distance between them. When he returned from his immersion in one of the most artist-friendly cities in the world, it seemed like he doesn't know her at all.

"So she's not hiding then, is she? If she knows you'll know where she'll be then. . ." She trailed off.

"Honestly, I don't know." He said in a low tone. "Maybe you're right. You know Jan Di better than I do." He sighed in frustration.

"From what I know, she wants to retreat to some place if she wants to reflect on something." Her encouraging tone was soothing his troubled soul. He got into a fight with one of his 'brothers' and now he's close to a confrontation with his dear sister. When will this ever end?

******************************************************************************

"Jan Di told me once that she hates how perfect you are." She continued. Her face scrunched up a bit, she remembered not agreeing with what she said. "That she can't keep up, you know? You're acing academics, sports, arts, etcetera. Then people around you will start comparing both of you. Jan Di may not be as brilliant as you but she's not dumb and you know that." Not a lot of people know but Jan Di loves to draw. According to her, Chin Hae wanted her to learn how to value money so she was not given excessive allowances that will lead her to the wrong side of the road again like when she was still in Shin Hwa University. Both of them took part time jobs at an independent manga maker when they were in college. She was an encoder and Jan Di was an illustrator. But she didn't tell her family about it. She was afraid that they will laugh at it. Especially that during that time, Yi Jeong was emerging as one of the best potters in Asia at a very young age.

"Did it ever occur to her that I owe it to her father?" He asked in a pained voice that she looked at him in surprise. "Appa treated me like his own son. In return, I wanted to be the best that I can be. That's the least that I can do. For taking care of Omma and me and for giving us Jan Di." He laughed an empty laugh. "She's lucky that she can do whatever she wants. At the end of the day, they will accept her 'cause she's their daughter. How about me? What will happen to me if he kicks me out of the house?"

She stared at him warily. Was he afraid to be left alone? He never pictured Yi Jeong to be such a little boy inside. But from she just heard. . .

"You might be laughing fully in your mind." He heard her say. She shook her head.

"No. . .I am sorry. I didn't know. . ." She's at a loss for words. Why did he confide to her? She, Chu Ga Eul, of all people! Weren't they enemies? She can deal with an overconfident and despotic So Yi Jeong. He's been like that for ever since she can remember. But this unfamiliar side of him was something she's not ready for.

"It's okay." He dismissed. He was back to his old cold self. "We're here." He declared and pulled in front of a high steel gate with intricate designs. He honked numerous times but nobody came out. They can see the yard from where they were but the large house was so dark and even the lamp posts were off.

"Could it be that. . .?" He went out of the car before she can finish her question. He didn't even bother to cover himself. She saw him push the doorbell several times in an impatient manner but to no avail. She pushed a button and the window on her side went down. "Hey! I think there's a black out! They won't hear you no matter how many times you press that! Do you have a key?!" She yelled through the rain.

"I don't! It's remote controlled!" He yelled back.

"Oh god!" She sighed in frustration. She's so tired and all that she wanted to do was sleep! "What shall we do now?" He got in the car soaking wet.

"I think I know where she is." He turned the engine on again and went straight to a private driveway beside the house.

"Where?" She asked in a tired voice. "I thought Jan Di's here. Do you have another house here in Cheju?" Before long, they were pulling beside a cottage in what seemed to be a private beach.

*****************************************************************************

"While the rest of Cheju boasts white sand beaches, we have black sand here." He laughed. He keeps keys of the log cabin always handy 'cause this is where he retreats if he wants to relax. And Jan Di loves here too. He just didn't think that she'll be going to Cheju if she wants to go away. It would be too easy to guess. But how can he dare to predict Jan Di? He opened the door and called for his sister. "Jan Di-ah! Jan Di-ah! Yah! Geum Jan Di!" He called and called but nobody answered. He gritted his teeth. He's sure the place is empty before they came. He turned the lights on but Ga Eul was correct. There's a black out. He fished his phone out for a source of light. He motioned her in. "Sit down first. I'll look for some candles."

"If she's not here then where is she?" She asked in a bleak voice.

He stopped on his tracks. "I'll fire our caretaker first thing tomorrow." And went straight to the kitchen.

He was the one who wanted to keep the log cabin as simple as possible. Now, he wanted to regret he didn't install automatic emergency lights and a land phone. He was looking for some candles when,

"Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" He heard her scream.

"Ga Eul!"