One Step Closer to Danger

Push and Pull of Love and Hate

It’s been a week and Jae Joong’s still not talking to her nor has her car been recovered. Who would want to steal a dilapidated car? But nobody knows the extent of people’s greed. Until she saves enough to buy herself a new car, she’s stuck onto taking the bus every morning. She panted when she reached the nearest bus stop and found quite a few people in there, a lot less than what she sees every morning.

"Why did it have to leave earlier than expected? Oh god!" A woman whined.

"We can sue the bus company!" Another gentleman mused.

"E-excuse me? The bus has left?" She glanced at her watch and it was 7:29am. The bus usually arrives at seven thirty. "But what happened?! I am so going to be late!"

"Everybody’s going to be late, young lady." An old ahjumma corrected her. The bus driver just decided to leave fifteen minutes earlier with no valid reason at all. Young people nowadays!" Ga Eul felt like crying that instant. She already had three consecutive tardiness and the head writer already warned her about it. It was just a good thing she decided to print the scripts last night or she would have to cram big time before presenting it to the head. She was in that line of thinking when a sleek black car stopped right in front of her, missing her by mere inches.

"Yah! You almost killed me!" She tapped the hood of the expensive car harshly, not caring if she’ll put a dent on it. Then the window on her side went down and revealed a smirking Chang Min.

"But I can save your off if you’ll get in." She sighed in relief and got in the car without thinking twice.

"Kamsahamnida! KBS please." She fastened her seatbelt.

"I called Jae Joong-sshi last night and I heard about what happened. I was just worried why you keep missing our lessons and then I realized I don’t even have your phone number.

"You might be surprised why an ancient car was stolen, right? I just don have the means to go to your office." Chang Min’s office is the other side of the city and before she can get there, the lesson would be over. "Sorry for not calling." She bowed.

"Apology accepted." He replied simply while looking straight on the road.

"Why were you there anyway?" As far as she can remember, Chang Min lives at the topmost floor of his building and that’s nowhere near the bus stop or their house.

"I was just in the area and I saw the country bumpkin waiting for the bus to arrive. You look like someone’s after your head so I decided to help you out." He snorted.

"You really think so? I am really am so dead if I am any second late. Thank you for stopping." She totally forgot now that he almost hit her.

"Can’t your boyfriend volunteer to take you to work? Just until you get yourself a new car perhaps?" He asked. Ga Eul didn’t know how to answer that and she’s not ready to discuss Yi Jeong with anyone yet.

"I think I am becoming really nosy." He laughed. "Just forget I asked.

"A-aniyo. . .It’s not like that." She waved a hand. "He’s just. . .I can’t really bother him like that." Chang Min doesn’t need to know that Yi Jeong’s not her boyfriend. If he corrects him, he’ll ask too many questions and she wouldn’t want that. Chang Min just raised an eyebrow but didn’t say anything more. Shortly after that, they’re already pulling up in the front of KBS Network’s main entrance. "Kamsahamnida, Chang Min-sshi! I owe you!" She said before opening the door.

She was already near the building entrance when Chang Min called her. "I’ll pick you up at six tonight. I don’t want you missing another lesson." He yelled before driving away. Ga Eul didn’t even have the chance to react.

*************************************************************************************

Chang Min couldn’t help but smile to himself when he was alone again in the car. He paid a king’s ranson to have someone steal Ga Eul’s car and to have the job be as spotless as possible. He was thinking that if he can’t get to the devil himself, then he should take his chances in getting to the ones important to him. He ruined someone dear to him anyway. He could see that Ga Eul’s a good person but she happened to be hanging out with the wrong people. He remembered he had to make a phone call. He pushed a button on the cell phone mounted on the dashboard when he stopped at a red light. He turned the speaker on. Someone picked up on the other line after three rings.

=Yobosaeyo?= He can’t believe that even her voice sounded y. He cleared his mind off the haze. He realized that thinking that way was already considered fraternizing with the enemy. She’s sister to one of Yi Jeong’s best friends after all.

"Annyeong hasseyo, Eun Hye-sshi." He greeted. "Max imnida."

=I know, Chang Min-sshi. Is there anything you need?=

"If it’s okay, can we move the lessons in the morning instead of the afternoon?" He wanted to start rolling the ball right away and monopolizing Ga Eul’s attention’s the first step.

=Oh. That would be okay, I guess. But Ga Eul-unnie’s not available in the morning, is she?=

"Uhm, Ga Eul-sshi already decided to stop going to the lessons and I have engagements to attend to during the afternoon. I hope it is okay." It wasn’t easy lying but just thinking of Young Sook kept him doing what he really has to do.

=Then that’s fine with me, Chang Min-sshi. But I am afraid I can’t make it this morning though. I have an appointment with my dentist.=

"That’s fine. We’ll cover two days worth tomorrow then. See you."

=Annyeong!=

*************************************************************************************

"Is there a problem?" Jun Pyo asked Jan Di. He noticed that his wife became silent after talking to the phone. If he’s not mistaken, she was talking to someone from home.

"It’s Woo Bin-ah." Jun Pyo raised an eyebrow. Why would his best friend call Jan Di instead of him? They were in Bulgaria, still in their European tour.

"What did he want?" He asked in an indifferent tone.

"It’s not want you think, okay?" Jan Di rolled her eyes. "It concerns my brother."

"Yi Jeong-ah? What about him?" He asked, instantly worried.

"He locked himself inside his penthouse since a week ago. When they can’t contact him, they just thought he was still in Busan."

"Busan? What was he doing in Busan?"

"He and Ga Eul’s supposed be going on vacation. That’s what he told me when he called me the last time. He sounded happy though when we last talked. Then Woo Bin went to his penthouse and the guard told him he didn’t have any record of Oppa’s car since a week ago. When they checked, it’s on its designated parking spot. He asked permission to break in and he was there."

"Bwoh? For a week? He didn’t do anything stupid, did he?" Jan Di gave a weak shake of her head.

"Yobo, would it be okay if we cut our vacation short? I’m worried about him." She asked. Jun Pyo sat beside her and hugged her.

"Of course. I’ll have it arranged tonight and we’ll leave first thing tomorrow. Cheer up. Everything will be alright."

"Gomawoyo." As she returned the hug.

*************************************************************************************

It was his recurring dream again. Ji Hoo heaved a deep sigh and wiped the sweat on his forehead. He got up and took a water bottle from the personal fridge and downed the contents before putting it down. He did everything to look for her but the search was futile. He looked in every place possible but he can’t find her.

Six years ago, they frequented a popular bar in Seoul. One night, there was this girl that caught his attention and but to his dismay, she had her eyes on Yi Jeong all night which seemed oblivious about it. She was flirting with him all night and Yi Jeong kept ignoring her advances. After drinking too many daiquiris and sunrises, she can’t even talk straight and he volunteered to take her home even if he didn’t even know her name more so where she lived. Nothing in her bag can tell him that information. He ended up taking her at his pad instead. The original plan was to nurse her until she was sober and then he can take her home. But while he was trying to change her clothes, she started groping him and kissing him and he was just a hormone-driven teenager at that time. The thing that shouldn’t happen, happened and he woke up the next day alone and the blood on the sheets was the only reminder that he did something he shouldn’t do.

He looked for her everywhere but she disappeared without a trace. He was stupid to fall in love with someone whose name he didn’t even know. That fact made the search even more difficult. It was so frustrating. He’s had the same dream almost every night since then. He felt so bad that he took advantage of a drunken woman and he was desperate to find her. Like what he always did if the dream disturbs his sleep, he prayed. He prayed that she finds her soon and that wherever she was, she can forgive him.