The Wedding Day

Push and Pull of Love and Hate

*knock knock*

Jan Di heard the faint knock on the door and soon enough it admitted her brother's lithe frame. Yi Jeong was tall and elegant in his three-piece dark suit. He was carrying a medium-sized box. "Need help?" He asked and flashed her the oh-so-familiar smile. She was fixing the bobby pins on her hair. She smiled in return and nodded. Yi Jeong set the box aside and stood behind her in front of her ornate dresser. Today was her wedding day.

"You are beautiful, Jan Di-ah." He said sincerely while securing the fresh stargazer in her hair. "Jun Pyo got all the luck." He tsked and narrowed his eyes playfully.

"Thank you, Oppa." She replied simply. "You don't look bad yourself."

"What are we, mutual admiration society?" He laughed. "Now, do you have everything? Something new?"

"My dress."

"Something blue?" She held up the blue embroidered handkerchief that Ga Eul gave her.

"And this is my something borrowed," She carressed the diamond-studded collar that was Chung Ae's. "Which doubles as something old." She beamed. The necklace was a family heirloom.

"Forget that. I think I have 'something old' here." He handed her the box that he was carrying earlier and when she opened it, she was speechless and tears just came streaming down her face silently. It was the complete collection of the mangas she drew before when both she and Ga Eul were working parttime at a manga publication.

"You knew?" She looked up at him and he nodded. She ran her fingers along the comic books. Though undeniably old, each of it were covered with transparent plastic carefully.

"I wonder why you weren't proud of it. You're very much talented." He knelt in front of her and wiped her tears with his own hands. "I am sorry if I made you feel inferior. I am not competing with you. And even if I am, I'll be glad to let you win. Always remember that."

It was too much for her to bear. She just hugged him, fighting more tears or she'll defnitely look like Cruella Deville in her own wedding day! "I love you, Oppa. I am sorry for all the trouble that I caused you."

"Shush, I love you too." He gathered her up carefully. "I think we better go or Jun Pyo will definitely throw a fit." He chuckled. And as if queue, Chin Hae appeared on the doorway.

"It's time kids." He clapped twice and held Jan Di's hand all throughout the long flight of stairs. Yi Jeong was falling closely behind, carrying her long train. Their mother was already in church, taking care of every little detail before the wedding take place.

***********************************************************************

"You may now kiss the bride." The officiating priest said and Jun Pyo gave Jan Di a thirthy-second kiss that sent the whole church into laughter and cheers. He looked on his left side and saw Ga Eul from across the pew. She was smiling and crying at the same time. His sister was undoubtedly beautiful but his eyes belonged to one woman alone: the maid of honor.

The past month, he could count with the fingers of one hand the times that he had seen her. She went back to work not to mention that she was also busy for Jan Di's wedding while he was running behind schedule for the the exhibit that's due to start in a month.

It was decided that their 'turn' would be next year. How he wished that it was true, that he really was getting married with the woman that he loved for years. The first time he saw her, feeling out-of-place in their own living room, he was smitten. But he didn't know how to approach a girl then. All of his attempts to start a conversation ended up in a quarrel. And Jan Di was too protective of her. Now that he's older and more mature, he still can't find a way to win Ga Eul.

He wanted to die when he heard from her own lips that she won't fall for him. After all the cunning things that he did just to keep her at bay, it was useless. When his mother found them in their cottage, he didn't know what came to his mind when he said that they're getting married. Then it was too late to take it back. Moreso, when he found himself enjoying the idea of being engaged to Ga Eul.

Her reluctance to continue with the charade hurt him. It was obvious that she didn't want anything to do with him.

"Yo, dude, move!" Woo Bin pushed him out of his stupor and his seat to get to the altar for the picture-taking. "You're spacing out!"

"It's none of your damn business." He retorted and glared at him.

"Tsk tsk. Must be real mad for postponing his own wedding." Ji Hoo joined in the teasing.

"I'll kill you both." He muttered.

"The best man and the maid of honor please." They heard the coordinator say and he approached the altar where Jan Di and Jun Pyo were. Ga Eul was walking like a dream from the opposite direction. The magenta gown accentuated her complexion. After the picture-taking, he saw her at the church's entrance and he readied to approach her when someone beat him to it.