Busy as a Bee

Push and Pull of Love and Hate

"What are you waiting for? Take it." Jae Joong glared at her from reviewing the proposals sent by their account executives. He was just promoted Junior Director and was bombarded by a lot of work. And him hearing the incessant ringing of Ga Eul's phone (that she keeps ignoring, by the way), was not helping him at all. "I am throwing your phone out the window Chu Ga Eul," He breathed. "And I am not joking."

"I-I can't--! I just can't answer it, okay?" She raised a fearful pair of eyes at him. It was Yi Jeong on the other line.

"Then turn it off! I am trying to work here, you know?" He growled. They were in the living room, Jae Joong asserted claim of the couch and Ga Eul was sitting Indian style on the carpeted floor, chin on the coffee table.

"I don't wanna give him the idea that I don't wanna take his call. Let him think that I am busy."

"Busy my ." He peered onto the laptop in front of her and he found nothing but a blank Word. "He picked the cellphone without warning and flipped it open. Ga Eul was too stunned to speak. "Yobosaeyo?"

***********************************************************************

". . .Can. . .I speak to Ga Eul please?" He gripped the phone tightly when he recognized Jae Joong's voice. He's been trying to reach Ga Eul for the whole day and her phone just rang and rang. And she with--arrgh!

=I am afraid she can't come to the phone right now, Yi Jeong-sshi. Can I take a message?= The voice was neutral and quite friendly, totally disregarding their last conversation. But he can't help but be doubtful. And jealous.

"No. . .I don't think so. Thanks anyway." He didn't even say goodbye. He's becoming rude these days.

***********************************************************************

"Oh. Sure." Pause. "I'll tell her." Pause. "Okay. Annyeong." Jae Joong talked to the busy tone. He's not a multi-awarded ad maker for nothing. He closed the phone shut and eyed Ga Eul. "He's inviting you for dinner."

"And you said you'll tell me! Look what you've done!"

"At least he would stop calling every after five minutes." That's an exaggeration but still. "And he's not really the one--" Ga Eul's phone rang again. "Oh God. Is he dumb or something?" He whacked his forehead in exasperation.

"It's not him!" It was Chung Ae.

"A brandnew phobia?" The sarcastic remark. "You want me to talk to that person again?" The voice heed warning.

"H-hello. . ?" Why would she call her in this hour?

=Ga Eul-yang. Am I disturbing you, sweetie?= Yi Jeong's mother was against her moving back to her apartment but she managed to convince her somehow with a promise that she'll visit often. A promise she's not able to fulfill.

"No. Not at all, Ahjumma. Is there a problem?"

=Omma. Didn't I tell you you should call me Omma?=

"Yes. Sorry. Did something happen?" Did Yi Jeong tell his mother?! She clutched her chest painfully in anticipation.

Chung Ae chuckled. =Aniyo. . .I just wanted to invite you for dinner tomorrow. I hope you could come.=

"What is the occasion?" She managed to ask while racking her brain for an appropriate alibi. She couldn't possibly face him at this time.

=Nothing big. It's just my birthday.=

***********************************************************************

"I hardly see you these days." Ji Hoo turned his laptop off and followed Eun Hye inside the house. He was purposely waiting for her when the driver reported her activities to him.

"It doesn't really bother you before." She didn't even look at him.

"I don't want you giving Haraboji any problems, Eun Hye-ah. Did you hear me?" They don't really get along well. They have different interests, set of friends and ways to entertain themselves. The only thing common to them would be their aloofness to people they hardly know.

"What did I do? I am not allowed to go shopping now? It's my own money." She worked for Real Barcelona, the Yoon family's soccer team as it's promoter before she returned to Seoul.

"You know damn well money's not the issue here." He placed a hand on the door jamb when she's about to shut the door onto his face.

"Then what is? Look, I am tired, okay? I wanna rest." She tried to close the door but her brother's hand was still there.

"Are you secretly dating?"

"Why the interest with my love life? Feeling protective all of a sudden?" She smirked. "Too late." She pulled the door wide open and banged the door that if Ji Hoo's not fast enough, he would be nursing broken fingers.

***********************************************************************

"I have a problem." She sat on one of the comfortable armchairs in Changmin's office. He cocked an eyebrow, not removing his eyes at the catalogue that he was reviewing. "I'll have to attend this dinner party and--"

"Sorry guys I am late!" A storm--no. A tall female dashed onto the room, looking sassy in her tattered jeans and knitted sweater. Her knee-high boots made her look taller that she already was. And Ga Eul thought she's familiar. The girl bowed at Changmin and looked at her direction.

"Annyeong! I am Yoon Eun--Ga Eul Unnie?" Her bright brown eyes widened as well as her lips in an accommodating smile. "Hi!" She hugged her and gave her a beso.

"Eun Hye-ah?" No wonder she didn't recognize her at first. She's a lot different from the Eun Hye that she met days ago at Jan Di and Jun Pyo's wedding.

"You know each other?" Changmin pointed out the obvious.

"Changmin-sshi. You didn't tell me I'll be sharing the class with Ga Eul Unnie. Of course I know her. She's the fiancee of a very close friend, So Yi Jeong."

"So Yi Jeong!?" Changmin parotted in a loud voice. Jae Joong didn't tell him that.

***********************************************************************

"Good evening Young Master." The butler bowed and he purposely ignored him. He wasn't in the mood but his mother wouldn't forgive him if he won't show up on her birthday. He was just glad Chung Ae opted to host an intimate dinner with the closest friends as Jan Di won't be around. He padded to the dining room silently and he could hear the clinking of glasses and the upbeat conversation. He stopped for a moment and plastered a smile on his face.

"Mianheyo. I am late." His eyes roamed around the formal dining room, looking for his mother. He was surprised to see Ga Eul seated between his mother and Geun Young. How did. .? His mouth streched onto a real smile this time. "Saengil chukka hamnida, Omma." He hugged his mother awkwardly kissed Ga Eul on the cheek as everybody in the room was expecting him to do just that.

"Gomawo. Sit down, Yi Jeong-ah. I really like the gift that you two got me. Thank you." It took him sometime to have it registered. Ga Eul look at him and silently urged him to play along.

"Oh. Yeah." He forgot to get Chung Ae a gift. "You're welcome. Glad you like it."

"Were you able to finish the design you're working on?" Chin Hae asked and he wanted to hurt Woo Bin who's been grinning beside him. Even Ji Hoo was giving him knowing glances.