The Point of No Return

Push and Pull of Love and Hate

Before she can react, the teak double doors to the dining area flew open. "I'm home!" Jan Di, in a canary yellow empire cut mini dress and lace-up sandals sauntered to where her mother was and kissed Chung Ae's cheeks. "Ga Eul-yang!" And she hugged her too. She didn't look surprised at all that she was in her own house, dining with her mother. She noticed that it took Chung Ae a few moments to recover from shock too.

"Yah! Jan Di-ah! Where have you been all this time?!" Chung Ae's hands were in her waist. Ga Eul thought she looked ten times older. And she's worried her heart might give in anytime.

"Omma. . .I just went on vacation. Why fuss over it" She replied nonchalantly and thanked the help that brought her the plates and utensils. "So. . .how's my sister-in-law?" She winked at her and she noticed that she didn't utter a single word since she arrived.

*She knew!* "Jan Di. . ?" She still can't believe that she's face-to-face with her now. The only thing that's playing in her mind right now was she's not needed there anymore. Jan Di's back and she can go back to her old life too and forget everything about the week that turned her life upside down.

"Honestly, when are you going to be responsible? You're going to be an aunt soon--"

"What?!" They chorused. Aunt? She didn't mean. . ?

"You're pregnant, Ga Eul-yang?" Jan Di voiced the question, looking at her wide-eyed.

"No--"

"Not yet." A voice corrected. "Good morning." Yi Jeong kissed Ga Eul on the cheek and did the same to her mother and Jan Di. "Welcome back, Sis." He said before occupying the seat beside her. "I am sorry I woke up late. I had to finish some designs last night."

"So, when's the big day?" Jan Di asked, trying to navigate the conversation away from her while dodging furious glances from Yi Jeong and her mother.

Chung Ae's face lit up. "We were just talking about it when you arrived. Then next year, it would be yours and Jun Pyo's wedding." Jan Di coughed and the coffee that she was drinking spilled on her dress.

"Aish!" Yi Jeong handed her a linen napkin. "I'll just change, okay?" And she disappeared in a flash. Chung Ae just shook her head and Yi Jeong's jaws tightened.

***********************************************************************

"What are you doing?" She looked up from putting her things in the suitcase and gave Yi Jeong a blank stare. He entered her room uninvited and she wanted to send him out. But she had a lot of things in her mind that she let it pass.

"Packing my things?" Then went back to tossing her toiletries inside a drawstring bag. "I need to get back to work." She didn't know what he did but her boss called her the afternoon they arrived from Cheju and informed her that her leave of absence was approved and she can get back to work whenever she wants.

"You're on leave, aren't you?" He asked and there was something in his voice that she can't comprehend. Was it panic?

"I don't remember filing any leave of absence, Mr. So." She glared at him. How dare he make decisions for her! "And she's back now, isn't she?" She zipped the suitcase and placed it on the floor.

"But it's not over yet. I'm still looking for the right timing to tell Omma everything. And the house is big and it's nearer than--"

"But I have my own house! And every single day that I spend here, the quicksand of lies's pulling me down!" She yelled in frustration and slumped onto the bed. She covered her face with her hands.

"Let me talk to her." Jan Di was standing in the doorway. Yi Jeong looked at her briefly and exited the room wordlessly. Jan Di locked the door and didn't say anything for a full five minutes. She sighed heavily and walked towards the bed and sat beside her. "I am pregnant Ga Eul-yang."

"BWOH?!" She exclaimed when what she said registered. She heard the faint 'crrrk' that her neck made when she turned to her and winced. Then she remembered her deciding against smoking and saying no to coffee. Jan Di's a certifed coffee-holic.

"My mind's in shambles and I needed time to think things over. I love Jun Pyo but I don't know if I am ready to be his wife and be a mother yet." Her tone was calm and void of any emotion. "As you can see, even my own mother doesn't believe I am responsible enough." She looked up, trying to keep the tears from falling. "I am sorry I dragged you into this mess."

"Oh, Jan Di!" She hugged her friend.

"My brother meant well. You know it, right? You know what, I can't blame him for treating me like a kid. I've been nothing but a pain in the neck." She said bitterly.

"Jan Di. . .You have to tell Jun Pyo about your baby. He should know. And being a mother comes naturally, you know? My mother was seventeen when she had me." She carressed her back in an attempt to calm her. In her condition, she shouldn't be stressed in any way. Insecurities were eating her best friend.

"I don't know if he will still have me. Not after he proposed to me and I ran away from him." She sniffed.

"Of course he will have you! He almost went berserk looking for you when you were gone."

"I am so sorry I didn't tell you about us. It was childish of me." To inspite her family, whose been openly match-making them together, she kept the relationship hidden or they wouldn't have lasted two years. "I'll talk to him. I maybe undecided about a lot of things but I am sure I want to keep this baby." She placed a hand on her tummy.

"Congratulations! And goodluck." She hugged her again. Despite the circumstances, she's happy for her. "I'll go home with a happy heart."

"Can't you stay for a little bit longer? You agreed to this charade. You can't just let Oppa explain all by himself, can you?" She looked at her with pleading eyes.

"But Jan Di! We can't keep lying to your mother!"

"I know. I promise that I'll explain it to her. I owe it to both of you. But please give me enough time to do that, okay?" She ped the suitcase and took her clothes out. "I'll put these in the closet."

"No! I mean, let me do it." She got the clothes from Jan Di and rearranged everything in tthe walk-in closet. "But I have to go to the apartment. I haven't even talked to Jae Joong about this."

"Alright. Use my car. And kiss Jae Joong-sshi for me, will you?" She found Ga Eul's roommate very charming and cute. And he's an absolute loss to the female population. His looks will pass for a matinee idol.

"I will, thank you."

***********************************************************************

"Yi Jeong arrived a few minutes after seven in the Geum mansion. He was surprised to see rows and rows of cars outside. The whole yard was brightly lit. Nobody mentioned anything about a party. But knowing his mother, she can find a reason to throw one. He had no choice but to park his sports car a few yards from the gate and walked towards the house. The guard-on-duty greeted him with glee and he proceeded to the main house.

He changed into a clean suit and ambled his way to where the party's being held. His mother will definitely disown him if he won't appear. His eyes automatically looked for a familiar figure and she appeared a few meters away from him, awkwardness in her face. He approached her.

"Ga-Eul-yang." He offered his arm and nodded.

"I am not used to wearing this kind of dress." She obviously just arrived. "But I don't want Ahjumma to think that--" She was wearing a strapless champagne-colored dress in satin. He's almost sure it's Vera Wang. Chung Ae's good friends with the famous fashion designer. It accentuated Ga Eul's perfect tan and slim figure.

"You look great. Stop fidgeting." He beamed. He guided her to the poolside. They saw Chung Ae walked towards the sound system. The music stopped after a few moments and the spotlight was focused to his mother who held the microphone. Chin Hae was right behind her.

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen!" Her voice reverberated through the speakers. "Since the stars of the evening are here, we want to tell you the reason why we invited you here tonight." She handed he microphone to Chin Hae.

"We want to formally announce the engagement of our only son, Yi Jeong, to Ms. Chu Ga Eul!" And if Yi Jeong was not holding Ga Eul at the moment, she could have slid to the well-tended lawn.