II.

The Need For Words

Over the next week the face of the other male was a clear and yet dim memory, always nudging Wonshik in the back of his head. It wasn’t like he was trying to remember him – it was a task his mind did without Wonshik having any choice in the matter. Whether he was in class or scribbling down phrases at home, buying groceries or just lazing on his bed, the dark haired male’s features just unveiled in front of his inner eyes.

It wasn’t just that Wonshik always saw that delicate face in front of him everywhere he went, it was also that his lyrics reflected his distracted mind, more than once taunting him with descriptions of fairy wings and captivating eyes, long pale fingers and a feeling akin to flying. He was frustrated, because he wasn’t the type to write cheesy and corny lines. His words held practical meaning, descripting life in harsh yet entrancing words to lay open its secrets, not this kind of emotional bull.

For Christ’s sake, where did he even get these words from all of a sudden?!

He had half a mind to tear up every piece of prose he had created during this week, but something inside of him stopped him. Who knows, it was a phase, and even phases can make you grow. Surprises, memories, experiences… wasn’t that what his Prose Class professor always said made a person grow into a better writer?

Wonshik sighed, which was probably the hundredth of time that week. And resorted to bury the embarrassing lyrics somewhere into his most secluded drawer. Who knows who could find these. Better no one I don’t trust, Wonshik thought.

 

The next Thursday came around faster than Wonshik had hoped for, but he admitted that he felt a kind of curious nausea in his stomach. Would the other male be there again? Would he react to the paper he had given him? Would they talk?

These and more thoughts ran through the blonde’s still half-sleeping mind as he rode on the bus, the city outside drowned in darkness still, except for the street lamps giving off a sleepy glow. It was getting darker and darker in the mornings, as well as colder. It was almost November now, and the trees had shed most of their colorful bearings in the past few days.

Arriving at the gates of the campus, he shuddered at the biting wind hitting his cheeks. He wrapped his parka closer around his frame and started to make his way over to the Musical School, a jittery feeling of excitement flooding his body.

When he entered the auditorium, Wonshik’s first reflex was to scan the rows for a certain bunch of black, shoulder long hair. Something inside of him dropped when he realized the other wasn’t there yet, but he told himself to stop acting like a in heat. He was just curious; yes that was exactly what he was. He wanted to get to know the other student, be friends. That was entirely all.

Wonshik made his way to his now predestined seat, pulling one of his legs up to rest on the other. A sigh escaped his lips, and he figured that instead of waiting with this weird bubbly feeling in his fingertips for the other male to appear, he could just as well catch a few last minutes of sleep.

His eyes closed and he drifted off, not really giving any attention to what was going on around him. He couldn’t say how much time passed until he heard the authoritative voice of the professor proclaiming the topic for this week’s class. His eyes fluttered open then, needing a few seconds to adjust to the light from the projected whiteboard.

His ears picked up rustling to his right, and turning his head to look where the sound came from, a tingling sensation pooled itself in his middle.

The dark eyes that looked slightly curiously back at him glittered from the scarce illumination in the hall, and Wonshik had to keep back a smile that threatened to form on his lips. He had come. Sometime during him drifting off, the other had taken a seat near him, so near in fact that only one empty seat separated them. Wonshik’s heart made a little jump at the realization, but he told himself to calm down. Why was he even acting like this?

His eyes were still fixed on the other male, who had proceeded to pull class material out of his bag. Wonshik looked over with interest, wanting to know what kind of major the other student took. The long and slender fingers pulled out one book after the other tantalizingly slow, before posing them onto the small hinged table in front of him. His dark tresses fell into his eyes as he did so, and Wonshik noticed that the male hadn’t tied his hair back today. His gaze fixed on the other’s features and the way the dark strands of hair cascaded along his slightly angular cheekbones, framing his pale face with soft waves of the darkest black. The complementation had him almost catch his breath, but he refrained. He should really stop acting this strange just at the sight of another, albeit rather attractive, man.

The blonde didn’t notice that the other had stopped his ministrations, the cagey eyes wandering to his own repeatedly. Only when a near undetectable smile seemed to curve the corners of those poised lips did Wonshik fall from his daydream. But as fast as it had come it was gone, at such a speed that he wasn’t even sure if he had seen right. Looking at the other’s once again unreadable expression, he was sure he must have dreamt it.

It was then that their eyes met again, and Wonshik couldn’t help but to raise his eyebrows in surprise. He felt like the other wanted to say something, but didn’t quite know how. Instead, the dark eyes flickered to the professor at the front and back at him, before one of his slender fingers tipped softly at the books in front of him.

Wonshik raked his neck to get a better look at what the other pointed at. His eyes fell on the title of the first book, and then the next. He was confused at first, not entirely understanding what the other man wanted to tell him. The other seemed to notice his confusion before he fished something out of his pocket. In between his pale fingers was the paper Wonshik had given him last week, and looking back and forth between the paper and the books, something clicked in the blonde’s head.

The books were all third year books, some of them coping with even more advanced material. The other probably attended the third or even fourth year of the Music major. Looking up at the other male, who was now bringing his attention back to the front and to the teacher, Wonshik examined him. He couldn’t deny that music seemed a subject to befit the other student. There was something melodic to him that he hadn’t seen before, but now couldn’t deny. It was like the music flowed from him.

But nonetheless, this new information didn’t explain why this probably third year was sitting in a class intended for first years, listening to a lecture he surely had listened to already. No wonder he thinks of this as a waste of time, Wonshik thought, recalling the muttered words he heard falling from the other’s lips the last time.

Curious, the blonde decided they had had enough contact to just ask the other. It was a bit tedious, trying to catch the other’s attention that was concentrated on the lecture before them, but finally Wonshik was able to get the other to look at the waving hand that was dancing in the corner of his eyes.

When the intense gaze, which was now filled with a clear question, landed on him, Wonshik had to gulp. The clearly annoyed ‘wha’t that reflected in the dark and molding gaze made him chuckle under his breath nervously.

“I was just wondering,” Wonshik started to whisper, his eyes darting to the front and slightly confused back to the other male, “why are you attending this class if you already heard it before?”

Wonshik didn’t really know what he had expected, but the narrowing of those black, veiled eyes and the slighted feeling that spread in his chest as the third year shifted his attention back to the front again without saying  word wasn’t what the blonde had thought of.

For the rest of the time, the first year kept glancing back to the man, but the dark haired male didn’t look over another time. With disappointment flooding the pit of his stomach, Wonshik dragged himself out of the hall after the professor had declared the lecture closed.