I.

The Need For Words

There are times when people can’t explain their feelings. There are times words just can’t put what you are feeling into perspective, can’t convey what you want to say. Wonshik didn’t know when he had started to understand, started to know this, but maybe - just maybe – it was along the way of falling for Jung Taekwoon.

 

~~~

 

It had been a completely normal and easy Thursday, the day that he had met Jung Taekwoon. There had been no change in the air that indicated anything special, no inexplicable foreboding feeling whatsoever. It was fall, and it was a completely meaningless day. But if he were ever to look back on it in the future, Wonshik would be sure that he thought he had felt something. Which he hadn’t, but he figured he would be allowed to romanticize things a little bit.

On his way to his Classical Music lecture he just let his blonde head swing to the rhythm that sounded from his earphones, the beat making him want to move his body. It was such a fine albeit cold morning, and yet here he was, having to sit through two hours of babbling about octaves and the ‘chemistry between the chords’, as his professor would always put it. It wasn’t that Wonshik disliked classical music, or any music for that matter. Oh no, he would never. He just wasn’t so much the type to compose music. He liked it more to write words, to give the melody a voice. But it’s not just that easy to be a lyricist. You have to know the melody, know the chords, know what creates what mood, and know the basics. After all, there were no lyrics without a melody for them to go with. And no lyric and writing classes without the same amount of music classes to complement them.

Wonshik sighed.

His feet stopped in front of the Musical School building, extending an arm to open the door. He shuffled his way inside, bringing a few stray fallen leaves into the hall with him. He passed his foot over them for good measure before making his way to class.

Once he was in the big lecture hall, which was comparatively full looking at the sunny weather that was starting to unfold outside, he gazed around briefly before taking a seat in the second to last row on the right. His light backpack sunk down to his feet, and he lazily pulled out a sheet of paper and a pencil. Even though this class didn’t capture his attention much, it gave him a nice little inspirational kick most of the times. He really didn’t want to pass one up. He closed his eyes, humming the beat he listened to earlier under his breath.

The sudden absence of natural light made Wonshik crack one of his eyes open, and he saw the professor starting the lecture by projecting a complicated set of musical notes onto the board.

“Today we’re going to talk about the essentials of quints and their use in melodies.” The professor announced.

Wonshik already decided that taking a nap sounded about right, when the seat two places up his right dipped forward. He heard the person scoff softly, a low ‘waste of time’ escaping their lips. The voice, even though Wonshik had to strain to hear the whisper, sounded soft and clear, like blossoming petals falling gently onto the grass. It piqued his interest, and he turned his gaze towards the person that had just arrived.

His eyes fell onto the delicate features of a young man. His long, jet black hair reached him just to the junction between his neck and shoulder, the top tresses bound back into a slightly messy little bun. His lips look poised and soft, his eyes adorning the top of his pointy nose. Wonshik noticed that there was something angular about his face that was illuminated by the projector’s light. Somehow, he looked like he had fallen right out of a fantasy novel. It wasn’t only his face, but his thin yet distinct figure and his slender, long fingers looked just as fay-like as the rest of him.

He didn’t know why, but a shower ran down Wonshik’s spine.

He kept staring at the dark haired male for some time, not really sure if he was dreaming. It wasn’t as much the other man’s features as the aura that seemed to engulf his body. Almost like fairy dust, Wonshik thought. Okay, that was it. He had completely lost his mind.

He blinked his eyes a few times and forced himself to look away from the student, and fair enough, when his eyes wandered back, the gleam that had seemed to levitate around the man had vanished.

Deeming his eyes to play a trick on him from the start, Wonshik lowered his gaze to the sheet of paper in front of him and started to scribble little nothings, distracting himself from staring.  Words fell from his mind onto paper that he couldn’t entirely catch the sense of, and they seemed somewhat more melodious than he had intended them to be.

Wonshik became too engrossed in his scribbles that he didn’t notice the dark haired male looking at him repeatedly. Only when his pencil stopped for a second and his eyes looked up in an inspirational halt did he see the other man looking at him from the corner of his eyes. He looked over, but when their eyes met, the other just casted his dark gaze downward to the paper between Wonshik’s hands. Feeling a bit taken aback by the sudden contact with the other student, Wonshik tried to bring his eyes back to his writing, still fully aware of the pair of dark ones set on his hands.

It remained like this for the rest of the lecture, Wonshik being able to feel the intense gaze concentrated on his fingertips. He wondered why the other male was so entranced with him writing, that he didn’t even seem to blink. At least, he never did when Wonshik dared to look over, which was more frequently than he would admit.

When the professor ended the class, Wonshik looked over at the other man to see him rising from his seat. He quickly slurred down a few words onto his paper. ‘You looked quite bored by what the professor was saying, weren’t you? You can keep this, you kept staring at it.’ He ran the words through his mind a couple of times, and deemed them fit enough before he hastily slung his backpack over his shoulder and ran up the stairs and towards the door.

He saw the back of the other’s head heading for the building’s main entrance, and with a swift movement he caught up with the male. With really only stopping for a couple of seconds, he extended the folded paper for the other to take. Confused dark eyes met his for a second before long and pale fingers curled around the sheet of paper, grasping it in a gentle hold. Giving an encouraging smile before he left, Wonshik made his way out of the building, but not without looking back and through the window panes, to see the other student looking at the unfolded paper with a cagey, still slightly confused look.

The smile from before crept its way back onto his lips, and Wonshik dashed off to his next schedule, smiling at the tainted leaves and the sun shining through them.