X.

The Need For Words

His eyes fluttered open as he felt the body next to him shift slightly. It took him a moment to put his surroundings together, his still half closed eyes landing on the serene face in front of him. Recollections of the previous events flooded his mind and a slight blush spread over his cheeks, a smile tugging at his lips. His eyes drifted over the relaxed face in front of him, his smile widening as he took in the soft looking features just inches away from his own. He could feel that the other was awake by his breathing, making him chuckle at the elder’s attempt to fool him into thinking he was still asleep.

“Hey.”

Wonshik’s voice was merely a whisper, soft and affectionate. Taekwoon sighed before opening his eyes. They landed on Wonshik’s smile and the glistening in his eyes, and immediately pink streaks colored his cheeks. Breathtaking, Wonshik thought as he took in Taekwoon’s slightly sheepish expression, lifting a hand to run the tips of his finger along the line of the other’s jaw.

Taekwoon shuddered at the contact, shy dark eyes flickering up to meet his in a silent greeting. Another chuckle escaped the blonde’s lips, and he leaned in, brushing their mouths together in a gentle touch, just enough so that Taekwoon’s taste lingered on his lips for a short second after they parted. The blush on the elder’s cheeks intensified at the affectionate gesture, and his eyes darted anywhere but at the younger’s eyes, embarrassed.

“So cute.” Wonshik mumbled, his fingers trailing down Taekwoon’s neck and chest before they locked behind the elder’s back, and Wonshik bent down again to press his lips to the base of the other’s shoulder. He nuzzled his nose into the crook of his neck, breathing in his scent deeply, closing his eyes. This had all really happened. Wonshik still found it hard to believe, but he wouldn’t spend any more minutes doubting when he could just bathe in the feeling of having Taekwoon so close to him. His chest was inflated with giddy happiness, making him wonder if Taekwoon was feeling the same.

As the comfortable silence between them stretched on, Wonshik’s thoughts wandered to Hakyeon and the words the redhead had said earlier that had made Taekwoon so annoyed. He wondered if Taekwoon really only went to their shared lecture at Hakyeon’S suggestion, only to… But that was so unlike the other that he felt silly thinking about it. Still, the curious feeling in his chest wouldn’t subside without him actually asking.

“About what Hakyeon said before…” Wonshik started, and he could feel Taekwoon let out a deep sigh at the words. The elder knew that it would have only been a matter of time until Wonshik asked him about it, Hakyeon’s overly eager mouth never really having been on his side.

“Forget it.” Came the soft but firm reply of the elder, and Wonshik’s eyebrows furrowed a bit. He leaned back to be able to look at Taekwoon’s face, which was once again harboring a healthy blush. The younger’s eyes became soft, and he leaned in, touching their noses playfully.

“Come on, what’s the matter? There’s no need to feel embarrassed,” Wonshik’s lips formed into a grin again, “not after what we did earlier…” A chuckle escaped Wonshik as Taekwoon’s hand connected with his chest in an embarrassed but weak attempt at a punch. Then Taekwoon sighed, and hid his face in the crook of Wonshik’s neck to escape the other’s slightly mischievous eyes.

“Okay…”

The word was barely muttered, and Wonshik smiled. There was silence again, but the younger knew that Taekwoon had to find his voice before he started speaking. He waited patiently, running his fingertips soothingly over the skin on the elder’s back. After another deep sigh, Taekwoon started talking softly.

“You were following behind one of Hakyeon’s friends, and I dunno, I just noticed you.” Another sigh brushed past his soft lips. “After that everywhere I went you would just kind of pop up, and as annoyed as I was, I became… curious.” Taekwoon paused for a moment, hesitant. “Hakyeon just… he suggested I should talk to you. That was just ridiculous. Then he came up with the idea that I should just join one of your classes, so we’d have to talk sooner or later…” His voice trailed off, Wonshik having to bite on his lips to stop the chuckle that was threatening to break free. “Hakyeon asked for your schedule from that friend of yours, and I was… intrigued. You took music classes, even though you didn’t look like… I mean, you know…” Wonshik felt Taekwoon toying with his fingers behind his back. “Anyway, I signed up for Classical Music because it was the least bothersome, and things just…”His voice became quiet towards the end, and Wonshik figured that he had made the elder talk enough. He let out a bemused laugh, finding Taekwoon’s attempt to gain his attention by attending the same class in purpose profusely adorable. He pushed the elder back a little to be able to look at his face, and planted a small kiss on the tip of his pointy nose.

“See, that wasn’t so bad.”

Taekwoon merely rolled his eyes once before closing them, pulling Wonshik closer again. The blonde couldn’t help but feel giddy at the thought of Taekwoon having had an interest in him from the start. He wouldn’t have expected the elder to be the one intrigued by him, and he couldn’t fathom how Taekwoon hadn’t caught his attention earlier.

Wonshik sighed contently, combing his fingers through Taekwoon’s black locks, feeling the other hum at the touch. This was so much better than what he had hoped for, and he couldn’t entirely believe that it was real. It was weird for him to have things go the way he wanted them to for once, and he figured that it was a feeling that he would take some time to get used to. He pressed his lips to Taekwoon’s gently, their mouths moving lazily against each other.

“Thank you.” Wonshik murmured against Taekwoon’s lips, only getting a soft hum and fingers squeezing his hip in return. But if was enough, enough because Wonshik knew that it was Taekwoon’s way of telling him that he was more than welcome. Wonshik made a mental note to later to thank Hongbin, but not before having kicked him for trying to set him up behind his back.

Neither cared if they still had classes for the rest for the rest of the afternoon, simply bathing in each other’s warmth, not even batting an eye when they heard the front door open again (Wonshik reckoned Taekwoon had unlocked the door before things had gotten out of hand) and Hakyeon’s attempted quiet footsteps sneak into the apartment.

Sleepiness drifted over them again, and they let it take them, welcoming a few more calm and relaxed hours until they had to eat dinner with the redhead, both knowing full well that the eldest wouldn’t shut his eager mouth at seeing them entangled together under the covers. They wouldn’t be able to escape that, but right now the thought was pushed to the back of their minds to be worried with when the time would come to heat up the leftovers.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Epilogue

 

There was one thing Wonshik learned over the months being with Taekwoon that he was sure that he would never forget. Their relationship wasn’t entirely about telling each other how they felt; it wasn’t about having to convey things all the time, which didn’t mean that they weren’t honest. They barely fought, because both knew that words couldn’t always express what you felt; and the possibility of using the wrong words and hurting someone along the way was higher than expressing themselves the right way.

Wonshik had learned that it was safer to show Taekwoon his feelings than to say them, even if he would do it frequently just because he felt like he would otherwise burst from all the emotions bottled up inside of him. But Wonshik also knew that Taekwoon was different, that words were if not unnecessary than just not always right for him, and he felt it every day and in every kiss and touch that he would receive from the elder that he didn’t need them to be understood. Taekwoon gave him more than enough silent and wordless reassurance for the things he couldn’t express with his voice, and Wonshik came to love the little things he did more than the words he would say.

But then there were times when Wonshik would write, write what he thought Taekwoon would feel, because he had started to be able to read him like an open book. He knew Taekwoon’s pages by heart, and so he started writing, and the flow of words that he scribbled down often amazed even him. And then Taekwoon would read the phrases that Wonshik wrote for him, and his eyes would glisten, and Wonshik would know that he had interpreted everything right.

And when they were entangled under their sheets, skin touching skin and affection for each other oozing out from their bodies with the simplest touches, Taekwoon would sing Wonshik’s words to him, for once being able to express what he felt, because he knew that even though he couldn’t find the right words himself, Wonshik had found them for him. And that, that was their favorite thing – being able to understand the other enough to take care of the need to find words to express themselves.