The Three Times Kibum's Charms Failed

One-shot series

 

"Ah Jinki you are- omo, why are your eyebags getting from bad to worse? What have you been doing?" Jonghyun asked as I trudged into the café wearily. 

 

"Too much homework." I gave an excuse to prevent any more questions being thrown to me. The truth is, I haven't been sleeping well ever since a certain Kim Kibum came waltzing into my life. 

 

"Good morning students, we have a new student joining our class from the USA. Let's welcome Kim Kibum." The teacher announced as I continued reading the textbook in preparation of the upcoming test in the next period. I was not interested in any new addition in the class right now and is more interested in getting all the information into my brain. Last minute studying isn't that good, but that's the only option right now, unless I decide to fail this test. 

 

"Okay the blood passes through the superior vena cava and into the right atria and as the pressure gets too high, the tricuspid valve opens and blood..." I mumbled to myself, nodding my head and smiling as everything seemed to make sense now.

 

"-please take care of me." The new guy's last sentence caught my attention as I looked up. The new guy was smiling and looking at everyone row by row before he caught my eyes. Wait, did I just see his smile widen? I quickly looked away and went back to the textbook. Focus, Lee Jinki, focus.

 

"-person to stand up will volunteer to be Kibum's guide for the day." Everyone stood up almost immediately, and then there is me, who was too engrossed in memorising, that I didn't even catch what the teacher was saying. I assumed he said the last person, since everyone is standing up- oh wait! I scrambled up awkwardly and everyone's attention is on me.

 

"Thank you Mr Lee Jinki for volunteering yourself." Crap, what have I landed myself into. I looked up and smiled awkwardly before mumbling a no problem and sat down. Hold on, what did he say his name was?!

 

"-e Jinki! YA LEE JINKI!" Jonghyun shouted and waved his hand in front of me to get my attention.

 

"Ah yes yes?" I answered almost immediately, embarrassed that I was dreaming in broad daylight and didn't even realized that my best friend had called me many times. 

 

"Oh finally. What is wrong with you dude? You are so distracted nowadays? A penny for your thought?" 

 

"Nothing, a lot of things are on my mind. Sorry." 

 

"It's all right, by the way, you have an order for a caramel macchiato, the customer insists that you make it, it's so weird how he asks for you, I mean hello, my skills are not that bad and I am pretty hot myself-" 

 

I smacked his head and said, "Stop being so egoistic, you are lucky you are my best friend if not I would have kicked your out of this door and out of this planet." Jonghyun tried to defend himself but I just shut him up by putting my fingers on his lips and pushing him away. 

 

The bells hung at the door rang, signalling that someone had entered the café. "Welcome-" I looked up from wiping the counter and met eyes with a boy with high cheekbones and defined lips. "Oh hi Jinki! Do you know who am I?" The latter smiled.

 

"Of course! Kim Kibum from geography class, right?" Of course I knew him, how could I forget him when I involuntarily volunteered myself to be his tour guide. 

 

"You work here?" At that moment, I almost replied something sarcastic but he quickly replied, "oh I am sorry, of course you work here, what am I even saying." 

 

"What would you like to drink?" I put on a smile and politely asked.

 

"Caramel macchiato grandé please! I trust that it would be good?" He winked.

 

"Don't worry, we assure good quality coffee to anyone if not you can get a refund. That would be 6.70." 

 

He opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out and he handed the money to me and walked to the side.

 

Why did he looked so disappointed after I said that? Did I say something wrong? And what’s with the wink, is he trying to flirt with me?

 

"Damn Jinki, you are dreaming again." Jonghyun shook me as I snapped out of my daze. He shook his head as he walked away.

 

"Are you sure you don't need a rest?" He shouted from the kitchen. 

 

"Hey tone down, we are in a café. The customers are looking." I warned.

 

"Oops sorry. You look exhausted, just go back and rest, I will cover for you." 

 

"I think I better do that, thanks Jjong." I replied as I took off my apron.

 

"Don't thank me, that's what best friends are for right?" He winked at me and passed me a box.

 

"What's this?" 

 

"I don't know, that exact same customer who wanted you to make the caramel macchiato told me to pass it to you. He even threatened me that if I don't, he would cut off my the next time he sees me." Jonghyun re-enacted the entire scene as he told me.

 

"Maybe I should tell the person that I didn't receive anything so he can cut your off." I said, earning a hey from Jonghyun, "kidding. Hey I am going now, thanks again buddy!" 

 

"Bye and I hope you fall flat on your face." A faint reply was heard as I walked out of the kitchen. 

 

I open the box given to me and stared at the slice of cake, it looks extremely familiar, where have I seen it?

 

Ding-dong. The door bell rang as I yelled a 'coming' to the door. I opened the door, and there stood Kim Kibum holding to a plate with a slice of cake on it. What? Is this guy stalking me now?

 

"Oh, hi Lee Jinki. Don't get me wrong, I am not stalking you. I am your new neighbour and I just wanted to say hi."

 

"Oh what a coincidence, welcome to the apartments. Ah so you were the one who was moving in this morning."

 

"I am sorry, did I disturb your sleep?"

 

"Oh no, don't be mistaken, it was just a little too loud to not be heard over the thin walls." 

 

"Right, here's a slice of cake to celebrate us being neighbours!" He ed the plate on his hands to mine. 

 

"Oh thank you, I will wash it before sending it back to you." 

 

"Oh it's all right, you can just give it back to me without washing it, I will wash it. Oh, and if you are free tonight, you can come over for dinner!”

 

"Sorry, I made plans with my friends." 

 

"Oh it's okay then. I guessed it can't be helped. See you around!" He showed his disappointed face once again and plastered on a fake smile before waving a bye and walked back to his apartment.

 

"Hey, is tomorrow all right with you? I meant having dinner at your place." I blurted out, hoping he heard me.

 

His head popped out of the door and replied, "of course!! So I will see you at 8?" This time he had a wide grin on his face.

 

"All right! See you!" I said and closed the door. It actually felt good knowing that I was the one who made him smile. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

 

I reached the apartment building without knowing and took a large breath before sighing it out. I am glad that the café was near my apartment (and there wasn’t any roads I had to cross), if not I am pretty sure I would have died walking back since ‘Kim Kibum’ practically occupied my entire thoughts right now.

 

I got into the elevator and pressed the 17 button as it lit up and the door closed. It felt as if something was about to happened as my heart started beating faster than before and I find myself getting breathless. I looked up and saw the numbers quickly changing to ‘17’ before coming to a complete stop. ‘Well nothing is wrong, you think too much, Lee Jinki.’ I smiled to myself as the door begun to slide open. As it slid open, I realized what got my heart to race.

 

A lonesome figure sat right outside of my house and I swore I could recognise that figure anywhere. It was the guy who I hadn’t stopped thinking about ever since I met him, Kim Kibum. He seemed to have heard the elevator reaching the level as he turned his head to face me. He scrambled to his feet as he greeted me, “Oh Jinki you are –hiccup- back.” He held the walls for support and tried to walk forward. I rushed to catch him before he fall and supported him up.

 

“Oh Jesus Kibum have you been drinking? You reek of alcohol and it’s only what? 3 in the afternoon? You should be glad I came home early and why the hell are you outside, did you forget your apartment is right next to mine or something?” I put his right hand over my neck and walked to the door.

 

“Heh, I lost my keys –hiccup- and I know you wouldn’t –hiccup- wouldn’t be so cruel to leave me out of your house. Plus you are the only person I know here.” He replied as he gave me a smile and his head plopped right back down on my shoulder. I fumbled for my keys in my pocket before pulling it out successfully and opening the door.

 

And for the first time I was glad that my house is small and I am able to get across to the sofa in just a few steps. I released his arm from my neck as he laid on the sofa while I prepared a hot drink and a wet towel.

 

“Jinki, why are you so dense?” I was about to reply, but he cut me away, “the first day when I saw you, I thought you looked extremely attractive in that spectacles. Man I could in my pants.”

 

I decided against replying as he continued talking, “you looked so y biting your lips while you concentrated on the biology textbook in front of you. I tried to get you to notice me but it seems like you were not interested in me. So imagine how glad I was when you volunteered to be my tour guide.”

 

‘He needs to know I didn’t volunteer myself, I wasn’t even paying attention to what the teacher was saying. But I have to admit, he did look attractive too.’I thought to myself.

 

“The second time I met you was at the café. I tried to flirt with you but you brushed me off. I was pretty sure any guy would have fell for me, but you? I even doubted if my charms were even working.” Kibum giggled as he relayed the entire story.

 

‘How could a drunk person have so much to say.’ I thought as I brought the wet towel and the hot drink out to the living room.

 

I took the wet towel and placed it on his forehead as he suddenly grabbed my arm and said, “the third time we met, it came as a surprise that you were my neighbour. I swear I didn’t know. Really. I even thought I wouldn’t have the chance to try and get you to like me. I guess this is called fate. I was so disappointed you rejected my offer for dinner but at least you made it up for the next day.” He smiled and released the grip on my hands as I hummed.

 

“I really like you Jinki-ah. Do you like me too?” His voice fading as he slowly slipped into a deep slumber.

 

“Pabo, I think I like you too.” I whispered as I kissed his forehead. 

 

I was preparing dinner when suddenly there was a loud crash and a hiss outside. I quickly rushed out to find out what caused the crash. Kibum stood there, grabbing his foot as he begun to massage it. I guess he realized he wasn't alone as he looked up and gave an awkward smile before saying, "sorry I didn't mean to."

 

"Sorry? Sorry for what? For bumping onto the table or for getting drunk and sitting outside of my house?" I joked.

 

"Both. And also for what I've said earlier this afternoon, please don't take it to heart." He looked away and didn't dare to meet my eyes.

 

"Oh, so you didn't mean what you said? Hmm, and they say people are the most honest when they are drunk. So should I believe you?" I walked towards him as he backed away and finally there wasn't anymore space for him to retreat as his back hit the wall.

 

"Uh... about that..." God he looked so cute trying to find something to look at and not meet my eyes. 

 

I brought my hand to his chin and tilted it up, "I like you too, pabo." We shared a sweet kiss and pulled away as we got breathless. 

 

Well it wasn't until he suddenly asked, "don't you smell something burning?" 

 

"OH CRAP MY CHICKEN!"

----------------------------

Dedicated to my dearest eomma who is working hard to write her next chapter. I hope this will be a great mood booster and inspiration booster for you! GOOD LUCK!

AND HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! ^^ 새해복 마니마니 받으세요! Do comment!!