Chapter 8

Happy Viruses (HIATUS)

After Amber's first meeting with Minwoo, she thought of many ways to befriend him. "There has to be something that will make him like me," Amber thought.

"Maybe I can buy him a new video game! Or uhh cake? What do 14 year old boys like?" Amber mumbled her ideas out loud while walking around campus during lunch with her girl friends.

"Chanyeol's brother sure has you worked up, huh?" Krystal commented on Amber's actions.

"I'm sure kids those age like talking about girls, video games, sports, food, and erted things." Victoria counted each thing on her fingers. Amber nodded at Victoria's input, trying to incorporate all of those things in her plans.

"Maybe you should try not to go in too strong. He's been in the hospital for a while now, right? He probably hasn't talked to many people besides his family." Luna added with concern. Sulli nodded beside her in agreement.

"So are you going to go visit him today?" Victoria asked.

"Yup! I asked Chanyeol to take me again."

"Yah! You ate my side of the food!" Krystal scolded Sulli, who was sharing a packed lunch with her.

"Nu-uhh! I'm pretty sure that was my side to begin with." Sulli defended herself. The two ended up bickering the rest of the lunch period, while the unnies tried to stay out of this one conflict.

---

"Hello?" Chanyeol picked up his phone. "Party? Right now? Cool! I'll be there." He hung up.

"Chen is throwing a party tonight. He invited you too Amber."

"I want to stay a while longer if it's okay with you, Minwoo?" Behind Amber, Chanyeol was making a pleading puppy dog face to let her stay with him.

Minwoo sighed in defeat to his hyung, "Suit yourself. I can't really force you to leave." He gave into Chanyeol's silent plead.

"I'm going to head out then," Chanyeol ruffled Minwoo's hair, and then patted Amber's back before leaving. "So Minwoo-ah, do you like anybody?" Amber immediately started the conversation that she thought long and hard about.

"Nope. Not worth my time." He bluntly answered.

"What's your favorite food?"

"Don't have one."

"Play any sports."

"Kind of hard to play sports when I'm in bed all day."

"Watch ?"

"What?" Minwoo gave her a dumbfounded look.

"Nevermind." Amber had run through her entire list of conversation topics and nothing had worked; even tried mentioning something about erted things because of Victoria. The room had gone silent.

Amber rested her chin on the edge of Minwoo's bed. She puffed out a breath of air that made her bangs fly up for a brief second. Minwoo was comfortably tucked into his sheets, reading a book. "Minwoo~" Amber whispered. No answer. "Minwoooo~" She whispered again except a little louder. Again, no answer. "Minwoo. Minwoo. Minwoo." Each time she said his name, she'd poke his arm.

"What?" He finally responded.

"I'm bored." He rolled his eyes. "What do you want me to do about that?"

"Well aren't you bored too? Always in this room."

"What's your point?" he asked, almost glaring at her.

"My point is that, I'm going to take you out. Get up!" She rushed to the closet and pulled out a wheelchair, "We're going on a ride." Her eyes beamed with excitement.

"It's against the rules to go out without consent."

"At times like these, rules are meant to be broken~" She in a matter-of-fact tone. She helped him out of bed and placed  him in th wheel chair (though it was hard because of his unwillingness to go). "It's a little chilly outside so," she draped a few blankets around his shoulders and wrapped a few around his legs for warmth.

"W-wait, you're planning to sneak outside?!" He almost shouted.

"Shhh. Don't worry about it." He had stopped complaining due to actually being a little excited himself to be rebelling for the first time. Amber opened the door and peeked out into the hallway to look for any workers--the coast was clear. She wheeled him out and into the elevator. "Where are you taking me anyway?" He asked suspiciously.

"Just to the court yard. I saw some ramps and long walk ways we can play on." She was practically jumping with excitement.

Outside, the sun was just about to set. Amber wheeled Minwoo to the top of a ramp. "You ready?" Minwoo's eyes bugged out of his head as he looked down the slope. "You're seriously insane-- Ahhhh!" Amber had pushed the wheel chair, secured herself on the back of the seat, and allowed gravity to glide them down the slope. "Woo hooo! Don't look down. If you look up it feels like you're flying!"

"It's kind of hard to not look down, stupid!" Minwoo screamed. Not being able to stop the chair on time, the two had flown off the chair and onto the soft, damp grass. They rested there for a few seconds; Amber was sprawled out on the grass with her eyes closed. "I guess we really did fly, huh? Minwoo said. Amber sat up to look at Minwoo who was actually laughing to himself about the whole thing. "Should we try one time? I wont' look down this time." He asked.

Amber's eyes widened in disbelief, but most of all joy at his request. She saw something in him that she had never seen before. He was having fun. "Of course we can!"

The two ended up gliding down that ramp more than two times. In the end, they returned to Minwoo's room without being caught, covered in grass, and a unspoken forming of friendship.

 

(updated: 11-2-13)