CHAPTER SEVEN

Bittersweet High School

Jieun packed her things and got dressed. Her flight to Seoul was at 9. So she needed to go to the airport at least at 8.30. She went to the restaurant to have her last breakfast and checked out. When she was about to got inside the cab, her phone buzzed.

“Hello? Jieun? Where are you now?”

“Yes, Peniel? I’m on my way to the airport, waeyo?” Jieun asked and went in the cab.

“WAIT! WAIT FOR ME!! WAIT!!!” Peniel screamed when the cab started to move on.

“Hold on, sir. Can you please wait for about 10 minutes?” Jieun said to the driver. He agreed and Jieun went off the cab again. “Where are you?!”

“Wait, wait.... I am.....urgh using my shoes. I’ll be there in 5 minutes,” Peniel said. When Jieun was about to say a word, Peniel hung up the call.

Such a troublemaker. She tought and waited patiently for him. Six minutes later, a guy ran to Jieun and said sorry. She said that it was okay and that guy put his suitcase on the cab’s bagage. Now the cab started to move on to the airport. Unexpectedly, Jieun and Peniel were having the same flight. They even sat next to each other, just like what happened 4 days ago, on their way to Jeju Island. They went inside the plane together and took a sit. Peniel slept along the way and so did Jieun. When they arrived, Jieun her phone and called Minhyuk immediately. Last time he said that he’s going to picked her up at the airport.

“Turn around,” Minhyuk said on the phone. Jieun did what he told and saw him. She ran to Minhyuk and hugged him tight. For your information, Jieun took off the bandage last night. It wasn’t hurt anymore.

“You left your siutcase, Miss,” Peniel said pulled Jieun’s suitcase to it’s owner.

“Thank you, Sir,” Jieun patted his head and laughed. Peniel laughed and greeted Minhyuk. Actually, Minhyuk was confused why were they together. It looked like they were back from their honeymoon or something. But Minhyuk knew that wasn’t true.

“So... why are you guys together?” Minhyuk asked awkwardly.

“It’s a long story. We met on the plane, we were at the same hotel, we spent our holiday together and we were on the same plane again,” Jieun explained.

“It is called destiny,” Peniel said and laughed. Jieun joined in and then Minhyuk joined in awkwardly. He was so jealous when he knew that his biggest crush spent her holidays with his friend while he was there waiting for her to came back and missed her so damn much.

“I miss you so much,” Minhyuk said and hugged Jieun again. She hugged him back and replied, “I miss you too, oppa,” Minhyuk let go his hands and grabbed her hand. He grabbed her suitcase as well.

“Let’s go,” he said and walked outside the airport. Jieun hold his hand and walked together.

“When are we going to have the beach party?” Jieun asked when she sat on Minhyuk’s car’s seat. Peniel’s parents picked him up so he went home with his family, while Jieun’s parents couldn’t pick her up so they called Minhyuk to pick her up.

“Tonight,” he said and drove the car out from the car park. “Sungjae, Ilhoon and the others will go there at 3 to prepare the party. I told them that I’ll catch up because I know you must be so tired, right,” he ruffled Jieun’s hair.

“I am,” she pouted. “Where are we going now?”

“We’re going to my apartment first, and we’ll go to the beach at 4 or 5. We need to buy some stuffs for the party too,” he explained. Jieun agreed and they both went to Minhyuk’s apartment. At his apartment, Jieun decided to take a nap and Minhyuk told her to sleep in his bed because he knew Jieun must be so tired. When she was sleeping, Minhyuk saw something wrong with her foo. There was a scar. So he decided to asked Jieun when she was awake. Twenty minutes later, Jieun’s phone rang. Minhyuk didn’t want to disturbed Jieun, so he answered the phone call and it was from Jieun’s mom. Minhyuk explained that Jieun was sleeping, so her mom said that she will call again later. They hung up the phone and Minhyuk found something on Jieun’s purse when he was going to put it back.

A teddy bear? I’ve never seen this before. Minhyuk thought. Oh maybe she bought it at Jeju.

Minhyuk put her phone back and patiently wait Jieun to woke up. Suddenly he felt like someone patted his shoulder. He looked up and a smile appeared on his face.

“How do you feel? Better?” Minhyuk asked and Jieun sat beside him.

“Much better,” she answered.

“Go take a shower and then we’ll go to the beach,”

“But I’m lazy,” Jieun said and pouted. Minhyuk laughed and started tickling her.

“Okay, okay, oppaaa! Stop! Aaaa!” she laughed, ran away, took her clothes and ran to his washroom.

I miss her laugh. I miss her smile. I miss you so much, Jieun. Please stay by my side forever. He thought and smiled by himself. Ten minutes later, Jieun came out from the washroom wearing a white, sleeveless shirt and half-thigh jeans, and left her hair untied. It made her look even prettier and cuter. Minhyuk stared at her and looked back to the TV.

“You ready?” he asked without looking at her.

“Wait a sec,” she opened up her suitcase and took some fashionable bracelets. “Let’s go,”

When they were on their way to the apartment’s basement, Peniel called and told them that he was going to pick them up. So Minhyuk and Jieun decided to wait at children’s park across the street. They used to play there with Juniel as well. Jieun and Juniel used to teased Minhyuk because he always play with girls, but he never cried or angry with the girls. He really loved them like his own sisters. Juniel and Jieun used to sat on the swings while Minhyuk pushed them from the back. Those were beautiful memories of the three of them.

Jieun sat on a swing, stepped back and let go her legs. The swing flew forwards and Jieun let the air brushed her face and her soft hair. Minhyuk watched her from apart and smiled happily.

Her face doesn’t change. Cute and pretty. My Jieun is a big girl now. His thought flew away when he heard a car honked a couple of times. Annoyed, he looked at the car and saw Peniel on it. Peniel smiled and waved at Jieun. She jumped from the swing and ran towards Peniel’s car, then stopped in front of his car. She looked back to see Minhyuk.

“Oppa, hurry up!” she said and ran back to Minhyuk. She grabbed his hand and pulled him towards Peniel’s car. Jieun sat on the front seat and Minhyuk sat at the back.

“Eunkwang hyung told me to buy some marshmallows and other things first,” Peniel explained and Jieun nodded in understandment.

“I know,” Minhyuk answered coldly. Peniel’s car started to move on to the ministore. It was 2 kilometers away from the children’s park. Peniel parked his car at the parking lot and then three of them went in the ministore. Minhyuk and Peniel let Jieun picked anything she liked for the party, and will the boys for it. She took four packs of marshmallows and put it inside the trolley. Minhyuk started to pushed it when Jieun started to walk.

“I’m going to make s’mores with Juniel. So I need.... biscuits and chocolates,” she said to herself and picked some pack of biscuits and four bars of hershey-style chocolate, then she took three big bottles of cokes and many other stuffs. After 30 minutes of shopping, they went to the cashier. Peniel paid all and they put all stuffs inside the car. In the car, Minhyuk saw something on the car seat next to him. He was shocked when he realized that it was a prince teddy bear, while Jieun’s doll that he saw that afternoon was a princess teddy bear. Minhyuk started to feel curious and jealous as well.

“Peniel, is this yours?” he asked, hanging the prince teddy bear in his hand. Peniel looked at him and nodded.

“Yes, hyung. I know it’s weird when a guy has a teddy bear. But Jieun picked that for me at Jeju a few days ago,” he explained. Minhyuk glared at the teddy bear and felt angry. Actually, jealous. “And I bought a teddy bear with princess outfit for Jieun, too. Sorry I forgot to buy anything for you, hyung,” Peniel continued. That explained everything. Minhyuk felt her body burned. Even his heart too. He felt like he wanted to flip the car and crashed everything. But he knew he couldn’t do that. All he can do was keep calm because things must go on.

It was 3 when Peniel, Jieun and Minhyuk arrived at the beach. Juniel waved at them from away. She and the other members were preparing everything. The grill, chairs, tables and blankets, and the foods. They set it up perfectly. Jieun ran to Juniel and hugged her tight.

“I haven’t seen you in ages! I miss you so much, babe,” Jieun said, still hugging Juniel.

“I miss you too, Jieun-ah,” Juniel replied. They laughed and helped Eunkwang preparing the foods. He made toast with ice cream and syrup. It tastes so good. He brought a small cooler for ice creams. Ilhoon and Sungjae were busy setting up the bonfire, while Hyunsik and Changsub set up the mat and chairs. Peniel and Minhyuk came with four plastic bags, put it on the mat and simultaneously laid down. Jieun took out the chocolate, biscuits and marshmallows and waited for the bonfire to be ready.

At 3.30, all was ready but Jieun, Juniel and Sungjae were still busy making s’mores, and the others were having a chit-chat on the mat. They joked and laughed together.

“Go and join them,” Juniel said to Sungjae and took out some biscuits from its pack.

“Really?” Sungjae grinned happily and Juniel nodded.

“Go on,” she said. Sungjae gave him a back hug for a couple of seconds and thanked her. He ran to his friends and laughed together.

“Couples,” Jieun growled.

“How was Jeju?” Juniel asked and heated some marshmallows.

“Oh it was good,” Jieun said and explained everything that happened at Jeju. About her feet, the teddy bear and the kiss. Juniel was really amazed with her story.

“You should date him,” Juniel joked and chuckled as Jieun gave her a death glare. Actually Jieun really want to date him. But it was just impossible since he liked Jessica very, very much. Jieun’s heart broke everytime he said ‘Jessica’. When Juniel and Jieun were talking and sharing stories, a red sedan parked behind Peniel’s blue car. A lady with pink and white shirt that tied under her s with pink, short pants walked out from the car. She was wearing sunglasses so Jieun couldn’t see her face well. The lady tied up her long, brunette hair and jogged towards BtoB.

“Peniel!” the lady patted Peniel’s shoulder and grinned. He looked back and grinned too.

“Jessica nuna!” he said and stood up to hug her.

“. It’s Jessica. I want to go home,” Jieun said and covered her face with both hands. She wanted ran away but Juniel blocked her way and told her to stay. It was for their own good. Peniel introduced Jessica to the other members and they chattered. They were happy because a hot girl came to their beach party.

“You can help them first,” Peniel pointed at Jieun and Juniel who were busy making s’mores. Actually Jieun pretended like she was busy and act like she didn’t see someone who was walking towards her.

“Hey, girls!” Jessica greeted and took off her sunglasses. “I’m Jessica,” she introduced herself. Jieun was still (pretending like she was) busy. She took out some biscuits, heated the marshmallows, cut the chocolate bars and snatched them into one.

“I’m Juniel. Nice to meet you,” she held out a hand and Jessica shook it.

“Nice to meet you too, Juniel,” she said. “And this is?” she looked at Jieun. Juniel kicked her leg and Jieun showed her OH-LOOK-I-JUST-REALIZED-THAT-SHE-IS-HERE face.

“Oh, yeah. I am Lee Ji Eun,”

“I’m Jessica. Oh, you must be that girl on the bus,” she said and Jieun nodded. This time Jessica is the one who held out her hand, because Jieun didn’t held her out. They both shook hands and an awkward silence happened.

“So, what are you making here?” Jessica asked.

“We’re making s’mores,” Juniel explained and gave a stick and marshmallow to her. She pierced the marshmallow and started to heat it above the bonfire. Jessica told many stories about her and her family. She even told them that she was looking for a job already. At first Jieun felt uncomfortable with Jessica. But because Jessica was kind to her, she tried to make friends with her. After they done making s’mores, they put it on three big plates and gave it to the others. Eunkwang, Changsub and Hyunsik were sitting on the chair while the others sat on the ground. Jessica sat next to Peniel, Jieun sat between Peniel and Minhyuk, while Juniel, of course, sat next to Sungjae.

“Wait a sec,” Sungjae suddenly stood up and ran to his car. Everybody looked at each other with confused face. A minute later, Sungjae was back with a guitar on his hand. He gave it to Juniel and sat next to her. “Go on,” he said and Juniel looked puzzled. She didn’t know Sungjae bring a guitar there. Everybody stared at Juniel and Juniel started to sing and her fingers were dancing beautifully on its strings to play some chord.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H6il8r0k0g

“...Your and my happy ending,

Watch it together,

If i open my eyes in the morning sunshine,

Kiss me, kiss me,

Our very own happy ending,

I dream of happy ending...”

From the beginning until the end of the song, she stared at Sungjae with full love. When the song ended, everybody clapped their hands and cheered for her beautiful voice and her romantic scene with Sungjae. She kissed his cheek and laughed as the other cheered and clapped their hands again. Unexpectedly, she gave the guitar to Jieun and Jieun glared at her, but she took it when the others started to cheer for her. She was not in the good mood, actually. So she started to play a beautiful-but-sad song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeySBjG4yfA

“...How much did you like her to be like this?


How much did you love her to be like this?


What was so great about her?


Why are you like this?...”

 

It ended with everyone’s clapped and cheers. Jieun’s voice was really good and the others enjoyed it (and because Jieun sang the song that fitted to her at that time, too). Jieun smiled at the others and bowed to thanked them. She looked at Peniel and smirked.

That song was for you, boy. I was talking about that girl who sit next to you. She thought.

“Now it’s Minhyuk hyung’s turn!” Ilhoon cheered and clapped his hands. Minhyuk glared at him but agreed when he saw Jieun’s smile and cheer. Minhyuk cleared his throat and started to sing. Everybody was amazed with his amazing voice. Even Jieun was amazed too. Minhyuk sang a song from 2PM, one of the most famous boy band in Korea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh2F81m3pHE

 “...Only you,

If it’s not you,

I can’t be fixed,

I wouldn’t able to breathe again,

It’s only you, my baby,

Only you...” he paused, looked at Jieun and continued.

 “...Listen,

You are very beautiful,

When you smiled,

I was blinded by the light,

To that bright smile,

I lost track of all thought,

Oh, miss you, baby,

I miss you so much...”

Same like Jieun and Juniel, everybody clapped their hands and cheered as soon as the song ended. Minhyuk were still looking at Jieun, locked on her beautiful, shining eyes. The song he sang was for Jieun. He really couldn’t live without her. Ever. He smiled and hugged her tight. The rest knew that Minhyuk liked Jieun since they were little. Even Jessica knew it too, because Peniel told her. Jieun was the only one who doesn’t know anything at all. She hugged him back and smiled happily. At that time, Minhyuk really want to said three words that stucked on his throat for many years. He just can’t say it. He was too afraid to say it. He was afraid Jieun would feel uncomfortable and stay away from him.

“Jieun, I love you,” Minhyuk said. Yes, he was succeed after all this long. The others stared at them and waited for Jieun’s reply.

“I love you too, oppa,” she said. The others smirked and chattered, but they were silent when Jieun continued her words, “As my brother,”

Everybody was silent. No one even dare to talk. Minhyuk let go off his hug and hold his tears. Jieun looked at his sad face and blinked. She had no idea what was wrong, then so looked at the others. The others stared at her with disappointed face, except Juniel. She knew it would be like this. Minhyuk looked away to the sky and covered his face with both hands when he couldn’t hold his tears anymore. Ilhoon who was sitting next to him rubbed his back and gave him tissues. Minhyuk never felt this sad before. Juniel looked at Jessica and gave her a sign. Both of them stood up and walked towards Jieun.

“Jieun, let’s go for a walk,” Jessica patted Jieun’s shoulders and she looked at her. Jieun nodded blankly. She was still blank what just happened. The girls walked along the seashore in silence. Sound of water were the only sound that they heard. Jieun stopped walking and looked at Juniel and Jessica.

“What happened to Minhyuk oppa?”  she asked. Juniel and Jessica looked at each other in confussion.

“Look, here. Minhyuk,” before Juniel continued, Jessica grabbed her hand, telling her to stop.

“That’s Minhyuk’s privacy. He will tell Jieun when the time is right,” Jessica said and Juniel nodded in agreement. Jieun were still blank though. She wasn’t good in love since she never felt it. The girls walked back to the others and joined in. Minhyuk was much better after the others cheered for him.

“Hey,” Jieun greeted and sat next to Minhyuk again.

“Hey,” Minhyuk replied. He was still sad, but he tried to smile. Jieun smiled back and ate a some s’mores. It was 5 and the sun sets. BtoB and the girls were silence, staring at the beautiful sun set. Juniel laid her head on Sungjae’s shoulder and he embraced her.

Jieun spent the rest of the day staring at Peniel and Jessica, while Minhyuk was staring at Jieun. It was not a triangle love, anyway. It was more complicated. Jieun decided to went home first since she did not feel really well at that time, so Minhyuk drove her home with Peniel’s car. Peniel was going with Jessica earlier. They said that they were going somewhere first. Nobody knows where were they going.

Minhyuk stopped the car in front of Jieun’s apartment’s lobby.

“Thank you, oppa,” she said as she was ready to went off, but she stopped when Minhyuk called her name. “Yes?” she replied.

“I need to tell you something,” he said. He was going to tell everything about this little thing that had bothered him for many years. But he just could not do that. He opened his mouth to explain and closed it again. He did that for many times. Jieun looked puzzled and waited for him to say something. “T-take care,” he said. He was failed again.

“Okay...” she replied and went off the car. She waved at him before walking towards the elevator. Minhyuk made sure she went in safely and drove away to his apartment. He tried to hold his tears, and that made his vision blur. He wasn’t focused on the road either. A light was coming closer and closer to Minhyuk, but Minhyuk didn’t do anything.

...

All was black. Minhyuk did a short flashback about his life. The first time he met Jieun, the first time he met BtoB, his first day of school, his thirteenth birthday, his summer vacation, all were flashed at once. He tried to open his eyes. It was all blur. He was so dizzy and when he touched his head, he felt something wet. Red liquids were sticking on his hand. He saw some people knocking on his window. He couldn’t stay any longer and he was dying. His tears flowed on his good looking face. All was black again.