Bus Number 085

Bus Number 085

 

Onew stumbled on the sidewalk as he looked into the windows of the bus. It was bus #085- no one ever took that bus. Yet there was someone in there. He took note of the time and determined that he would be there again tomorrow to see if that person would be riding it again.
Onew went to the corner of Flaxton Street every day waiting for the 085 to pass by. Everyday, without fail, the boy would be sitting in the samw seat of the bus. The sight of this boy intrigued Onew to the point that he grew anxious to know more of the mysterious boy.
One day he found himself showing his bus pass to the driver of the 085 and taking a seat in the row across from the boy. The silence in the bus would be deafening if his heart beat hadn't been loud enough for Onew to hope that the boy couldb't hear it. Onew checked the stops off as they went by. The bus had almost made a full cicuit when the boy finally began to move. Onew could tell that the boy was planning on getting off, but why at the same place he had gotten on? Onew quickly followed the boy off the bus.
"Hey!" He had called out without thinking.
The boy froze and looked at Onew. Although he held a straight face there was a pain behind the boys eyes that struck a chord within Onew's heart. The bus came to a stop, and Onew followed the boy out of the bus. He watched the boy sigh and slowly start off.
Onew suddenly found himself reaching out, "Wait." His own voice surprising him. "Um... Hi. I'm Lee Jinki, but you can call me Onew." He smiled. Although Onew had no idea why he decided to speak to the boy, he had no reason not to offer a kind smile.
The boy was stunned as he stared at Onew. "Hi." Silence ensued once again.
"Do you take the 085 often?" The only response that the boy offered was a nod. He then lifted his hand, gave a slight wave and left. Onew just stared at the boy as he disappeared down the street. "He really is an interesting guy..." He said to no one in particular.
~*~*~
Minho walked to the front door of his house and put his ear to the door. Listening for the yelling and crashing that he had left the house to avoid, hearing nothing he opened the door. He noticed that the house was shrouded in a near defeaning silence. He started his way into the house planning on making his way up to his bedroom and staying there until morning.
As he passed the kitchen, however, he noticed heavy breathing. Although his conscious told him to ignore it and continue walking, he looked anyway. What he saw sent hin running out of the house. Was there anyway to erase a memory completely? Not without pain. Where should he go? There was no where... so he ran blindly down the streets. Minho allowed his feet to take a life of their own as he raced as far away as possible from the place he had once called home...
~*~*~
Onew decided to stop at a convenience store before going home. He was wandering through the aisles of the store throwing random items into his basket when he looked up and saw the boy from the 085 running past the window. The look on the boys face was enough to make Onew drop the basket he was holding on the nearest surface and dash out of the store after the boy.
It was only now that Onew was grateful to his parents for making him join a sport- this boy was really fast. Eventually Onew covered the ground between him and the boy and grabbed his wrist. "Wait!" Onew heaved forward as he exclaimed.
The boy turned at the familiar voice, his eyes still wide. "O-O-O-Onew..." he recalled the awkward introduction from less than an hour ago.
"Are you alright?"
Minho recalled the scene he had laid his eyes upon and burst into tears. "Ottoke?" He cried out to Onew.
What happened next, neither boy was entirely sure but somehow they ended up in Onew's apartment. The boy curled in a ball on the couch and Onew in the kitchen making something for the boy to eat. While prepsring the food he continually glanced in at the boy on the couch- just to make sure the situation hadn't changed. He finished making rice porridge and a glass of green tea and brough it to the ball on the couch.
"Are you ready to eat?" The boy slowly unfurled himself and faced Onew, then the food. He slowly began to eat what had been placed in front of him. The elder one just stared at the red-faced boy, curious as to what had sent him this far over the edge- and slamming into Onew's life.
"Minho." Onew jumped at the quiet voice that the younger boy had produced.
"Minho?" The boy nodded.
"Choi Minho." He focused intently on the porridge, refusing to speak further.
"Minho, um... is it alright if I ask what happened?"
At this question Minho immediatwly tensed up. He slowly exhaled the breath he had unknowingly held and looked to Onew.
"It's a long story."
"I have time, are you willing to tell it to me?" Minho searched Onew's eyes as if he was looking for something before giving a quick nod.
"I am an only child and I live with my two doting parents. My life was nearly perfect until one day something snapped in my parents' relationship. I don't know exactly what it was, but I needed out. At first I would just wander around town without paying much mind to anyone or anything; but that routine quickly lost any appeal it once had, and their arguments kept getting worse. That's when I discovered the 085. There is something interesting about that bus, did you know that?"
Onew shook his head. The only thing he knew about the 085 is that no one ever really took it.
"The route that bus takes stops at every religous site our town has to offer." Minho smiled a bit at that thought. "My father and mother used to be very religious people, but shortly after they started arguing church and God ceased to exist in their lives." His face darkened a bit. "So, whenever they started to fight, I got into the habit of taking the 085 as a means of escaping the shouting; however, recently their arguments had started to become a bit violent. I have come home several times to see a shattered vase or totally destroyed plate set all over the floor..." Minho's voice caught in his throat as his mind once again reviewed what he had come home to today.

"Minho... you don't have to continue if you don't want to..." His heart went out to the boy who was sitting beside him.

Minho shook his head, "Everyone will know sooner or later anyway." He sighed heavily before continuing, "I just- I just never thought that my father could ever do something so... heinous! Onew, when you caught me on the street... I was... running away... away from my home. Because... because..." He started shivering and it took every bit of will power Onew had to not grab the boy and pull him as close as possible. Minho took another deep breath, "I went home and... and saw... my father in the kitchen... next to my mom... with... with..." Minho's voice dropped so low that Onew could barely hear it, "a knife in his hand.... and mother! Mother was..."

Onew understood where this was headed and he didn't like it- not one bit. All of his will power disappeared and he pulled Minho into a tight hug. "Minho, you know what has to happen, right?" Minho looked up at Onew with tears in his eyes but he nodded nonetheless.

"I do." Minho whispered.

With that Onew almost started crying himself- how could he feel so much for this boy whom he had only just spoken to for the first time today?

"Minho..."

"Onew, can I please borrow a phone?" Minho's voice had changed, it was still that faint whisper and it just broke Onew's heart.

All Onew could do was nod his head and grab the cordless phone off of his end table. "Do you want me to call for you?"

Minho shook his head slowly and took the phone from Onew. He stared at it for a moment before he pressed the three buttons that would take away the only living relative he had left. He placed the phone to his ear as it rung for a few seconds, then a female voice spoke up, "Thank you for calling 119, what is you emergency?"

"My father killed my mother."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

O.o Sorry! This story didn't start out with my intention of ending it this way! I am so sorry! I really didn't mean to let it take such a turn.... it kind of just wrote itself that way for me! O.o Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry! (Anyone else singing SuJu right now?) But seriously, thanks for reading. tell me what you think. I'm marking it as complete... but depending on my mood I might add to it... because it really wasn't supposed to go in this direction... O.o

Thanks again for reading!

~BaiLingLing