IX.

Ellipsis...

Chapter 9.

It was 730am in the morning. I could not believe I managed to wake up that early, especially when it was a Sunday. I put on a lovely and luxurious looking dress, that I do not remember owning it at all. I just unintentionally discovered it in my closet that morning.

I was happy, as I can see my own bright smile reflected through the mirror. The weather was good too, the sun shone through the curtain and lightened up my little room. I was all prepared to have my date.

Ding Dong!

My jaw dropped, almost to the floor, as I swung opened the door to see Minwoo, in his outfit from This Love MV. He is stylish, I know, but wearing this for a date is just too extreme to me. Why am I always surrounded by people who overdressed?? They always make me feel so underdressed… Life’s unfair. I sulked.

“Aw, what’s with that face? You look pretty in this dress.” He smiled. For the first time, I completely understand the meaning of shrimp eyes.

“Really?” I took a glance of my outfit and asked unconfidently.

“Of course…” He sang, “It’s such a nice weather today. Where shall we go?”

Then we walked, hand in hand to the first destination, which was the small Italian restaurant. It was located pretty near to my place. We decided to settle our brunch in the quiet restaurant, with only a couple of tables occupied by the customers. We sat on one of the table in the corner, and began to flip through the menu.

“One Pizza Margherita, please.” I closed the menu, as I ordered to the waitress.

After Minwoo named a dish, the waitress headed to the kitchen.

While waiting for the food to be served, Minwoo took the newspaper from the shelf besides our table. He gave me part of the newspaper, while he read the other part. Well, it has been a long time since I last read the newspaper. Basically, I learned that Kim Hyun Joong was chosen as Asia No.1 Good Looking Male by the KpopEveryday website. Whoa… He indeed is handsome.

As Minwoo noticed my admiration towards Kim Hyun Joong’s photo, he moped and asked, “So do you wanna work with Big Bang, still? Or have you changed your mind to work under Kim Hyun Joong-sshi more…?”

“Eh…?” It took me a second to get what he meant, “No, I still prefer Big Bang…”

Then I received a fiery glare from the person in front of me. Did I say anything wrong…?

“Ah!” It took me another second to realize what was wrong, “No, I mean… I choose Lee Min Woo-sshi!!”

Although he seemed to be dissatisfied, he continued with his reading and let the topic alone. So, I continued reading the next page.

“Shinhwa will continue activities with… only 4 members…?” I was confused as I read the headline on the second page aloud, and stared at Minwoo.

In fact, it has been a week after the scandal between Eric and Hyesung surfaced to the public. There were news spreading across the nation, rumoring the main vocalist and the leader had registered as married couple when they were overseas. I used to think that was merely a rumor to gossip with. I guess I was wrong.

“Oppa! Shinhwa’s becoming 4… 4 members?” I was quite annoyed by how relaxed he is towards this matter, “And you… you’re fine with it…?”

“Yea… I’m okay… I mean, of course, they are my brothers. I will support them no matter what happens to them, but how other people view it, is more important. There is no way Eric and Hyesung are going to be accepted as idol with this image.”

Minwoo frowned as he said, “Eric and Hyesung have decided to leave South Korea entertainment industry. It’s decided. Nothing can be changed. Coming out in Korea is not a thing that can be laughed off.”

“…I know.”

I knew that since long time ago but I still could not accept it the way it is. The news completely ruined my mood. I just swore that I will not read newspaper again, as I folded and tossed it back to the shelf. I could even feel my anger as I was slicing the pizza intensely. I could not enjoy my pizza at all. The food just tasted so unappetizing. However, I tried my best to stuff the unsavory food into my mouth. Eat for the sake to live, I hypnotized myself.

As time passed, the surrounding turned noisy, while more and more customers joined in. A couple of high school girls entered the front door and caught my attention. The girls were pointing their fingers at our table, as they were chatting with one another.

“Is that Shinhwa Minwoo??” “Is that girl his date?? He’s dating, isn’t it?”

I took a glance at the man in front of me. They recognized him.

He definitely heard them too, but he showed no concern at all. He probably should have adapted to these situations after 15 years of debut. But for me, I guess I never will adapt to this kind of lifestyle.

“Look at that girl’s dress… She’s poor, isn’t she?” “Yea… I doubt what Minwoo oppa sees in this poor girl…”

I took a glance at my dress, again. I felt insecure, again. I swore I wore the best dress I could find. Yet, it was still a contrast to Minwoo’s outfit? What’s wrong with this dress? What do these girls understands about fashion?! These teenagers nowadays…

“Mika… Let’s not get bothered by them…” Minwoo said, as he noticed me clenching my teeth.

I took a deep breath. As I tried my best to appear as ignorant as I could, I heard more and more voices.

“It’s Minwoo!!” Customer from another table noticed and shouted.

Coming out of nowhere, a swarm of reporters and some fangirls gathered to our table. They pushed recorders to our direction as they asked tons of questions.

“Minwoo-sshi, are you two dating?”

“Since when did you two start dating?”

“What is her name?”

“Oppa! She is not your style!!!”

“When are you two getting married?”

“Do you mind introducing your girlfriend to us, Minwoo-sshi?”

As the situation turned out of control, I exchanged look with Minwoo. He got my message and he blocked the reporters from nearing me, while I rushed to the exit. Thanks to him, I positively escaped from the situation, but Minwoo failed to flee from the reporters that encircled him.

This indeed is how a worst date could be. Just… how worse can it be?

I felt so messed up, as I strolled along the street aimlessly.

It was kind of busy on the road. There were many queuing at the bus stop station. The bench provided there was occupied by a homeless person. He looked quite dirty in his dull green windbreaker. And probably because of that, no one wants to share the bench with him. He was resting on the bench selfishly, in which left the bench a small blank space to be seated by others. Without thinking much, I seated beside him.

I leaned onto the bench, as I felt lost and exhausted.

I wondered which way I should go. I wondered what I should do. I wondered what I had been doing all this while. Eventually, I wondered how Eric and Hyesung were doing.

As I was in deep thoughts, I felt a sudden grasp on my right hand. It was the vagrant’s hand.

“Food… Give me food…” He begged.

As I could feel his hand was shivering, I felt sorry for him, instead of feeling afraid.

“Food?” I asked for confirmation, “Do you need food?”

He raised his head to look at me and pleaded, “Yes… Give me food, please.”

As I looked into his eyes, I was too shocked that I backed off.

Tears filled my eyes.

I tried hard to look at the man more carefully but tears blurred my vision.

I called, “E-Eric-sshi…?”

He looked exactly like Eric. No, I mean, he is Eric… I could just tell it from his eyes. Things have been ridiculous since this morning, that I started to doubt my eyes.

“Mika-sshi? Give me… food…” His voice was trembling.

“No… What is happening…? This couldn’t be…” I shook my head in disbelief.

“There, student, tell me what happened to our Shinhwa Company’s president…” I asked a student, who was standing beside me, but he moved away.

I looked at the crowd, but they gave me the disgusted look.

“These heartless people…”

“Yah… what did you do to our Shinhwa Company’s representative? What sin did he do to deserve this? You tell me!!” I randomly grabbed the collar of a young man, but he pulled my hands off eagerly instead.

Helplessly, I walked to Eric, and his skinny face. I could not believe that a week ago he was still a shining star; and then, he became a beggar. I could not forgive this society, which had turned him into this condition.

I cried as I embraced the trembling poor guy, “It couldn’t be… Who?! WHO DID THIS TO YOU?!”

I could hear Eric still begging for food, while I was having a mental breakdown.

Beep! Beep!

I reached to my pocket for my cellphone, but the pocket was empty. Eh? Did I misplace my phone…? I rubbed my teary eyes and checked again at the surrounding.

There… there was no Eric beside me.

I was all alone in my bed… So, it was just a dream??

I slapped myself. It was painful… So I concluded that it was a dream.

“Tsk…” I moaned as I knocked my head. I should have known straightaway it was a dream, which Kpop star on Earth would wear his stage outfit on a date? And… since when Ricsyung are married couple??

The irritating beeping sound leaded me to reach for my ringing phone.

“Hello? Unnie?” It was Hyomi voice through the phone.

“Hyomi…” I could not get rid of the sadness in me, and continued to cry aloud, “What is this?? Uwah…”

“W-What happened?” She probably was terrified when she heard my cries, “D-don’t cry. Unnie... D-did I disturb your sleep again? I’m sorry…”

I blurted a lot, but I bet Hyomi could not even understand a word I said. I was basically suffering from trauma after the nightmare. For that moment, I felt so depressed, because I almost could not tell off the difference of a nightmare and reality.

Nonetheless, when reality goes the wrong way, it can be just exactly like a nightmare… isn’t it so?