III.

Ellipsis...

Chapter 3.

Chirp chirp… the birds hanging around in my balcony were performing an orchestra in that early morning. I did not bother to get up, because it was a Sunday morning. I rolled in my blankets. I imagined myself as the fillings of Kimbap, while my blankets role-playing as the seaweed. Oh yeah… such a wonderful morning…

Beep! Beep! Beep!

“Ai… which b*tch…” I cursed as I stretched my arms to grab my cellphone.

As I took a glance on my phone screen, I cursed even more, “This stupid boss… Where did he get my phone number… And at this time? 7AM?”

As far as I remembered, I never receive any phone call from Shinhwa, until that morning, Minwoo called and disturbed my beauty sleep.

“Hello…”

“Hi, Mika-sshi… Minwoo oppa here.”

“Good morning, Minwoo. But it’s my off day today…” I groaned as I was still half-asleep.

“Are you speaking informal language to me?” He changed his easygoing tone to a serious one. I hate the age difference culture… Gr…

“No… No! Did you have a good sleep? How may I help you, Minwoo-sshi?”

“I did.” He paused for a second and said, “It’s my birthday tomorrow, however I have tight schedule tomorrow. So I’m going to celebrate it tonight, care joining us?”

“Oh… b-birthday…” As I was still in a midst of wondering why this guy is including me, I suddenly came to sense that politeness and courtesy is needed, “Happy birthday, Minwoo-sshi! Sorry I’ve forgotten about your birthday. I’ll go to your party! I promise!”

The reason why he is inviting me is not really important. A request from the boss can only be accepted with grateful heart. No reject option.

“Of course you will. See you tonight.” He laughed as he ended the phone call.

I stoned for a few seconds…and then rolled myself into the blanket.

“AHHHHH… I want to sleep so badly and this jerk interrupted my sleep…Now I’m so wide AWAKEEE!! AHHH!!!” I sat up and scratched my bedhead hair like a meow would do.

“Wait…” I grabbed the cellphone and began calling, “Hyomi ah… it’s Minwoo-sshi birthday today.”

“Ne, Mika-unnie, I’m going to the celebration party later.”

“I’m invited too…”

“Really? Daebak… unnie, I’ve worked for 3 years and only get invited last year. You are invited to Minwoo’s birthday after working for 3 months. Jinjia daebak…” She must be really jealous of me.

“Is it so…” I murmured, as I wondered why I am even getting invited, “but… what kind of gift is more presentable?”

I got no chance to give presents to male friends all the while. I only gifted my father birthday cards whenever it’s his day. As when I get employed as a makeup artist, I get to worry about these courtesy thing I need to face in working place.

I decided to obtain a necktie from Dong Dae Mun, as I grabbed a sandwich as breakfast from the nearby bakery. After that, I strolled along the roadside, with mixed feelings. I guess it was because I missed my hometown. While I was in Taiwan, I used to hate drinking bubble milktea, as that is the most common drink available. However, as I strolled along the food stalls, I came across a bubble milktea store, and ordered it. As expected, it was far different from what I consumed all the while. And that, made me missed my hometown even more.

“Know what, I sneaked into Shinhwa Hyesung’s condominium yesterday… And it is real that Eric and Hyesung are living in the same building!” “Whoa… How did you do that?”

I usually do encounter many people gossiping about Kpop on the street, however these days Shinhwa really became the hot issue. I turned my head around to witness two teenage girls chitchatting with one another, who just bought bubble milktea from the store too.

When these fangirl, or sometimes fanboy, interrupts the privacy of their idols, they are usually called Sassaeng fan. They are usually dissed by most of the fans, who wished the privacy of their idol to be protected. However, many still exist.

“Ah, how I did that is not important. I’ve saw Ricsyung scolding each other at the lobby.”

“They are water and oil. It’s normal, isn’t it?”

“No, believe me. I saw Eric’s face; he’s really looked like he’s going to cry any second. Hyesung was so mad; they almost hit each other on the face!”

It’s true nowadays their relationship is like . I thought that was only unveiled to me because I’m part of the Shinhwa cody crew. To my surprise, these fans are like God. They need not any newspaper, they just knew everything. They deserved to be worshipped.

“Hyesung’s marriage is driving soon, isn’t it? Eric is really opposing it. Like for no reason…” That Sassaeng fan continued.

“Ricsyung ah.. ricsyung.” She cried, “How sad… Our Eric oppa deserves Hyesung oppa…”

Fangirls will always believe Ricsyung is real.

“Love is what? Eric oppa and Hyesung oppa will still need to get married one day. Homouality doesn’t work here.”

They both agreed in grief, and walked passed me into another street behind me. Those two fangirl somehow made me curious about this issue. Or maybe, I was just bored…

When I headed home, the first thing I do is switched on my laptop and Google. I really wondered how homouality is viewed by the Korean. I ended up learning a person called Hong Seok Cheon.


Hong Seok-cheon (born February 3, 1971) is a South Korean actor, restaurateur and politician for the Democratic Labor Party. He was a male model and actor before causing considerable controversy in his home country when he came out as gay in 2000. Hong is the most prominent openly gay celebrity in Korea.

Hong Seok-cheon appeared on South Korean television, including children's programmes and variety shows. After revealing his homouality, the network fired him from his prime-time variety show, and he went on to be selected by Time Magazine as the 2004 Asian Hero. He also appeared in the thriller films Ggotcheul deun namja (English release title Man Holding Flowers) in 1997, and the 2001 film Hera Purple as well as a 1998 romantic release entitled Tie a Yellow Ribbon.
 

As an Asian, I wish all the best to everyone who found their true love, although I know many does not see things the same as I do. It must be a hard time for any homoual Korean celebrity to coming out of the closet, and that to even lose his job. Not only Korean, I believe most Asian people believe homouality is against human nature.

I purred as I finished reading the passage. I thought I finally understood something. I scratched my scalp, although it does not itch at all. My fingers then unconsciously went to the power button and pressed it, and the laptop was switched off.

Maybe understanding this “something” is kind of unnecessary. Sigh.