Gangsta Boy 9

Gangsta Boy

Chapter 9


3 years ago...

Tick... Tick... Tick...

The hands of the clock on top of the white board moved painfully slow, making one of the senior students in the 3rd year class playing with his ice blue dragon pendant. Waiting for the school bell to ring for the awaited lunch time. His focused was long diverted from the teacher who was still explaining the maths problem in front of the class. He didn’t have to listen to the teacher anyway for he was one of those people who were blessed with a genius brain. As long as he caught up with the concept of any topics, the rest was easy for him.

He flipped his black bangs from his face and looked at his right side. As expected, his dark brown hair friend was happily asleep with the text book stood straight in front of him. The book was serving as a blocking device to his sleeping figure from the teacher ahead. A trickle of saliva was trickling down his jaw.

Seriously, Jonghyun didn’t have to bring his pillow to sleep comfortably in the hard surface of the school’s table. I just wish that I can slump into a comfortable sleep too. But I just can’t help but to keep on thinking about what father had said to me last night after another gruelling practice.

Flashback


Jinki had just finished another martial art practice. This time it was a samurai practice with the rest of The Pack’s male descendant. As usual, Hyerin was exempted from any martial art or any weapon’s practice. But it doesn’t mean that she couldn’t join them at anytime. Hyerin did join them in their practice sometimes when it was a close combat practice; which she was very good at. Even though she has a small figure, she could catch you unaware and the next minute you’re down on the floor.

The rest of the guys went out of the practice room with sweats beaded on their bodies. Key and Hongki were spotted with some thin cuts from the katana. Blood was wiped off from their arms and faces with the towels that were provided.

I hope they will be more careful and paid more attention to the opponents. This is the result for a split second of their mind wandering off.

Jinki was shaking his head when he saw their cuts. But he couldn’t help smiling when the rest teased those two for their lack of attention.

“Jinki. Come to my office for a while.” Lee Jongmin called his eldest son from following the rest of the group out from the practice room.

Jinki turned to his father. “Neh.” Then he turned to the rest of The Pack and said, “You guys go ahead. I’ll see you guys later.”

“Okay. But you’re still on with our game’s bet right. I won’t lose to you this time.” Jonghyun said with a smirk on his face. Confident that he was going to win this time.

Jinki just shrugged with a nonchalant face. “If you can beat me that is.” He flashed a cocky grin before he turned his back to them to follow his father to the office room.

He knocked three times before he heard his father asked him to come in. His father was standing in front of his many mahogany drawers with a black square box in his hands. Jinki just stood straight in front of his father’s big polished reddish-brown mahogany desk. Almost all of his father’s desk, drawers and cabinets were made from mahogany.

Lee Jongmin walked towards his desk with the black square box and stopped in front of his eldest son. He the box to Jinki to take it. Jinki looked at the box then at his father. His eyes reflected his confusion with his father’s attitude.

What’s with abeoji? He never gave me anything all of a sudden without a reason.

Jinki hesitated in taking the box from his father.

Lee Jongmin took Jinki’s hand and placed the box in his hand. “Take it Jinki.” His father said.

Jinki took the box reluctantly. “But abeoji, what is this for? I mean, it’s not like it’s my birthday or anything that close to it.” Jinki asked questioningly at his father.

“Open it up Jinki.” Lee Jongmin instructed instead of answering his son.

Jinki looked at his father questioningly and slowly opened the said box. The sight that greeted Jinki was a silver chain necklace with a small ice dark blue of a dragon pendant. The design was very detailed. Every curve of the dragons and even the minuscule scale can be seen clearly. Jinki the pendant carefully with an awed face. He felt the protruding chest and scales of the dragon. It was really a beautiful and elegant necklace. He had never seen one as beautiful as the necklace in front of him, except his father’s.

Isn’t this similar as abeoji’s necklace? Jinki wondered.

He glanced at his father’s neck and saw one exactly the same as the one in the box. His father saw him glanced at the necklace on his neck.

“You must be wondering as to why there are two of these necklaces I assume.” Lee Jongmin said to Jinki with a small smile.

Jinki only managed to nod his head. He was speechless that a beautiful jewellery was in his hand. He never possessed anything as elegant as the necklace.

His father placed his hands on his son’s shoulders and stared at Jinki’s eyes in a serious manner.

“Jinki, I am giving you this necklace as my way of giving you the responsibility to lead our clan and The Pack.” He said with conviction.

Jinki’s eyes widened by his father’s news. He never expected that was what his father wanted to talk to him about. He did think about it and had an inkling that he was the one going to take his father’s place in the future. But it was definitely not now. He was only a senior high school student anyway.

“Abeoji...” Jinki mumbled then stop. He couldn’t find any words to say to his father. His face indicated that he was worried and anxious to hear the news.

Lee Jongmin noticed this and began to smile reassuringly to Jinki. He gave a squeeze to his son’s shoulders. “Now now Jinki. Don’t look so worried. I won’t dumped everything on you today and ask you to lead the whole organization.” He chuckled when he saw Jinki released a deep sigh. “I have been teaching you a lot about our intricacy haven’t I?”

“Neh abeoji. You did.” Jinki said.

“I will keep on teaching you everything that needs to be learned but the rest, you have to pick it up with your own skills. You are a bright young man and I know you can lead the clans well.” Lee Jongmin said proudly to Jinki.

Jinki felt his heart was tugged by his father’s proud voice. He felt as if he had won a gold medal in a race.

“I chose this time to tell you this because from this moment on you will slowly take over the things that I do and learn to manage the clans and the martial arts school. I know this will be a heavy responsibility for you Jinki, but I trust that you can do it. You are not alone in this. I believe Jonghyun and Minho will receive the news of them leading their own clan too.” He smiled.

Jinki nodded. “I will not let you down abeoji. I will try my hardest to take care of everyone and manage all this as best as I could as you did.” 

Lee Jongmin’s face was wide with his smile that flashed with joy that his eldest son took his responsibility head on without any complaints. He was really proud of his eldest son. It was not that he was not proud with the rest of his sons. He loved all of his sons dearly, but he always knew that Jinki has a really great potential as a great leader.

“That’s my son.” He said proudly and gave his eldest son a rough embrace. 

Jinki was surprised by his father action. His father was not known as a person who showed his affection through hugs and kisses. Or maybe he did with his mother but he wouldn’t know. He hesitantly brought his hands to wrap it around his father’s back.

Then his father broke the embrace by retreating himself from the hug. He took the necklace out from the box that was still in Jinki’s hands and clasped it around Jinki’s neck. He leaned back and looked at the necklace that was now on Jinki’s neck with the pendant held closely to his chest. Jinki’s the pendant again.

I will make sure that I won’t do anything that will bring the clan down.

End of Flashback


He snapped back from his flashback when the teacher called his name.

“Lee Jinki. Where did your mind wander off again?” Miss Kang said out loud.

Jinki lifted his head to stare at her silently. He tried to gather his thoughts back to the classroom and looked around him trying to gauge what were they doing at the moment.

“Cat got your tongue Jinki? I asked you to solve the math question in front. What are you doing there still sitting on your chair? Get your out of the chair and solve this problem now.” Miss Kang demanded.

Jinki slowly got up from his seat while glancing at Jonghyun who was still comfortably in his dreamland.

This guy. Why did the teacher call my name anyway? It would be more fun if Jonghyun was the one to be called. I can already imagine his frantic action to what he’s going to do. But seriously, did abeoji meant it that Jonghyun and Minho was handed down the responsibility for their clan too? He doesn’t look like someone who was just handed down a big responsibility.

Jinki shook his head and slowly made his way to the front of the classroom. He felt the eyes of most of the girls followed his every move. He could hear some of them whispered to each other at how he was cool and handsome. He didn’t get it why were the girls obsessing about every little thing that he did. The same goes for the rest of the clans’ member. Hyerin once said to us that it was because we always hung out with each other and made it look exclusive. And it doesn’t hurt that we were all good looking. Hand it to her to say that. It made Jonghyun excited over the moon. 

He took the black marker pen and began solving the maths problem on the white board. It was not even a challenging question to him. He finished it in less than a minute. He put down the marker pen and headed back to his seat. Miss Kang eyed the answer that Jinki jotted down and looked at the answer on her book. She looked back at Jinki with a surprised face.

“That’s correct Jinki. The rest of you can copy the solution.” She said and took a seat on the teacher’s desk.

Jinki smirked and shook his head again. He knew that he solved the question correctly. Usually the rest of the teachers wouldn’t be bothered to ask him to solve any questions at all because they knew that he would get everything correct. So they would ask other students to come up and solve the questions. And the guy beside him would always be busted from his sleeping streak to answer the questions. But Miss Kang was a new transferred teacher. She didn’t know the students in her class well enough.

The school bell finally rang. Everybody was busy getting out of the class. Hurrying their footsteps to go to their friends’ class to take their lunch or went to the school’s cafeteria. Jinki jerked his elbow towards Jonghyun who was still sleeping even though the bell had already rang. Jonghyun was really a heavy sleeper. That was why Key and Hyerin always played a prank on his face when they were little.

He doesn’t even move an inch from Jinki’s elbow jerk. So Jinki used the last method to wake Jonghyun up. 

He slipped his hand to Jonghyun’s neck and leaned in closer to Jonghyun’s ear to whisper, “Baby, if you don’t wake up, I’ll kiss you full on the lips and you know I won’t hesitate to do that.”

Sure enough. The reaction was instant. Jonghyun snapped from his sleep and jerked to sit straight on his chair with a horrified face expression. Jinki smiled wickedly at him and crossed his arms on his chest while leaning on his chair to look at Jonghyun. Jonghyun glared at Jinki.

“How many times do I have to tell you not to do that Jinki? You could ruin my image. The girls will run away from me thinking that I’m gay.” He said, crossed.

“How many times then I have to jerk you to wake up from your blissful sleep may I ask?” Jinki replied in mock politeness with a devilish grin.

“Gah Jinki. Stop that grin. Okay okay. I’ll listen to you next time okay. I just don’t want to wake up from my beautiful dream.” Jonghyun said with a dreamy face expression. No doubt thinking about his interrupted dream.

“Say that earlier then.” Jinki said and stood up to walk out of the class to meet the rest of the members. “Oh Jonghyun, by the way, you should wipe off your saliva that trickled down your jaw.” He said nonchalantly and quickened his steps out of the room.

“Oh man. That was disgusting.” Jonghyun’s voice could be heard behind him.

They walked swiftly towards the rest of the members who were already waiting for them on one of the cafeteria’s tables. Each of them took their seats. Jinki sat beside Taemin and Jonghyun sat beside Minho.

“Where’s Hyerin?” Jonghyun asked after he saw that his sister was not in the group.

“Well she said she wants to go to the library again to borrow some books.” Key said then bit his half eaten apple.

“Again? That girl really needs to get out from the library. I mean, I don’t mind her reading and all, rather than her hanging out with unknown guys around this school. I cannot let her date any of these guys in this school. No one is a match to her. But she needs to socialize with girls her age.” Jonghyun said seriously.

Minho looked at him weirdly. “Hyung, what’s with you today? Why are you suddenly talking about Hyerin’s future date? She’s in the library and you’re talking about guys that would date her?”

“Well I wouldn’t want any guy to play with her heart or her body. You know, you wouldn’t know what will happen.” Jonghyun said again.

“You’re worried the guys will treat her that way because you are acting like that towards the other girls right.” Jinki said playfully. “Since you’re dreaming about flirting with another girl just now didn’t you?” He asked him slyly.

“Yah... I did not.” Jonghyun said vehemently but his protest was made unbelievable as his face turned red. The rest of them laughed at him.

Taemin stopped laughing and glanced at Jinki who was laughing hard at Jonghyun that his necklace was out of his school uniform. Taemin looked at the necklace and was reminded of the same one on his father’s. He reached out to hold the dragon pendant which made Jinki surprised.

“Hyung, why do abeoji’s necklace on you instead?” Taemin asked Jinki.

The rest stopped their laughing session and looked at Taemin who was flipping the dragon pendant from back to front. Hongki went to Jinki’s other side and took a closer look at it.

“Neh, hyung. Isn’t this abeoji’s necklace?” Hongki asked.

Jinki straightened himself on his seat. He hasn’t shared the news even with his dongsaengs yet. He took the pendant from Taemin’s fingers and put it back inside his shirt uniform. He broke the news to them that his father already approached him about handing down the legacy to him. The rest was surprised but not shocked that Jinki had been chosen. They have expected it anyway.

“Well, I have been approached by my dad too last night after the practice.” Minho said while twirling the ebony coloured raven studded platinum ring on his middle finger of his right hand. 

Jonghyun unconsciously his new orange-reddish phoenix shape earrings. “The same goes for me.” He mumbled.

The atmosphere suddenly became heavy with responsibilities on the three future leaders in the groups. Especially Jinki who have to manage The Pack. The heavy atmosphere was broken up by Hyerin who suddenly slammed her books on top of the table in front of them and took a seat beside Jonghyun.

“What’s with the long faces boys?” She asked while cocking her head to the side, surveying her oppa-deul faces. They all seemed like they just swallowed bitter traditional medicine or herbs.

The rest of the boys then woke up from their thoughts and smiled up at Hyerin. “Nothing to worry about Hyerin ah.” Key said and came to Hyerin’s side to side hug her. “Anyway, let us get you your foods.” Key said and took her to the food counter, cutting her attempt to asked Jonghyun further.

“Why don’t we just tell her anyway?” Hongki asked Jonghyun after Key steered Hyerin away.

“Well, let me do it at home okay.” Jonghyun said and ended the conversation about the topic. “We should get our food too Jinki. Come on.” Jonghyun grabbed Jinki’s hand and dragged him to buy their food.

On their way to the food counter, Jinki saw a girl that looked familiar sitting at the far corner of the cafeteria which was almost concealed by the huge statue of the founder of the school.

Isn’t that Park Jihyun? I’m sure that’s he girl that I met at the convenience store last week. She went to this school too? Why didn’t I notice it before? She seems to be alone though.

Jinki kept on staring at Jihyun that he didn’t realize he was in front of the food counter. The guy behind the counter was asking him what food did he want, but he hardly listened until Jonghyun jerked him on his sides.

“Yah Jinki, what are you staring at? Don’t you want to eat?” Jonghyun asked.

I looked at the choices of food in front of me and grabbed whatever that was near me and paid for it. “Jonghyun, you go ahead and sit with the others. I have someone that I want to talk to for a while.” Jinki said and quickly made a beeline to Jihyun’s table.

Jonghyun looked at where Jinki was heading to and was quite surprised that his friend was heading towards a girl’s table in a secluded corner.

What is that guy doing? He never really approached any girl before this. It was always the clans that came first.Jonghyun thought. Well, this will be interesting. I wonder what will happen after this.

With that thought in Jonghyun’s mind, he went back to their tables and set his food down. The rest who saw him back alone without Jinki asked his whereabouts. 

“In a secluded corner.” Jonghyun answered cheekily.

Oh ho Jinki. You’re gonna get it back after what you’ve done to me in the classroom. Wait for the bombing of questions from the rest of them later. 

He smirked and added slyly, “With a girl.”

The rest widened their eyes in shocked. Key spluttered his drinks on his shirt. Hyerin’s spoon clattered on her plate. Taemin choked on his milk. Hongki’s mouth was wide opened. Minho was Minho. He just remained collected though one of his eyebrows rose high.

Jonghyun just chuckled at their reactions and continue to eat his lunch happily.


***


To be continued...


A/N:
Lol... What do you think with this chapter? This was how the responsibility was handed down to Jinki, Jonghyun and Minho. It was quite a heavy responsibility neh. Because of that I slipped in some (I hope) funny scenes. I hope you readers like it. :D 
I had fun writing OnHyun moment. Lol. As most of you would've known, I like to slip in SHINee’s OTP in my fic. Hahaha.. For those who read IWLG, you guys have already witness almost all OTP right. But I don’t think I have made any Onew and Jonghyun moment before. Kekeke. What do you think? Don’t get me wrong though okay. It’s not going to be a S-AI. Lol. I have no talent in writing it for now. :D Anyway, hope you have a fun time reading this update. Drop by your comment neh and thanks for subscribing. Annyeong.