|| Chapter 4 ||

My 12 Guardian Soulmates

"Hey guys, give her some space. God dammit Chanyeol, did you not hear what I just said?!”

“Mom? I just had the weirdest dream. I dreamt that you and dad were assassinated by some people and I was next but 12 boys rescued me.”

 Miyung rubbed her eyes as she slowly sat up. She expected her mother to hug her but when she put down her hands, she saw the 12 boys she was referring to. Tears streamed down her face as she realised that all these were not a dream.

“It’s real isn’t it?” MIyung said bitterly

“Unfortunately, it's true. I'm sorry that we arrived late. We could have prevented it if we arrived earlier. And-“

“Then why didn’t you!” Miyung screamed at the boy. “Why didn’t you arrive earlier?! If you said you’re sorry, then give me back my parents! I want them back!” Miyung said as she repeatedly pushed Suho by his shoulders.

“That’s enough! We did what we could to try and save your family.” Kris said angrily and grabbed her wrists.

“It’s okay Kris, she’s grieving.” The boy took out two letters from his pocket.

“I know nothing we say will make you feel better, but just know that we will be outside if you need us. These letters are the ones you wanted to take before you passed out.”

Miyung snatched the letters out of the boy’s hands and ordered the twelve of them to leave the room.

 "Do you think she will be alright?" Chen asked as he looked at the door.

"Miyung's a strong girl. I'm sure she will be fine." Baekhyun answered and the rest nodded in agreement.

≈≈≈≈≈

It has been fifteen minutes and all Miyung did was to tare at the two letters. She wiped away a stray tear and opened her mother’s letter.

Dear Miyung,

If you are reading this letter, it means that your Dad and I are probably gone. Promise me you will not spend time mourning our loss. Make us proud by avenging our death. Find the people that did this. I love you so so much. We actually knew this would happen the moment we adopted you. But....we fell in love with you when we met eyes with you. I’m sure you have many questions but you are on your own to find out things. Just do me a favour, move on and be happy. I love you. A lot. More than words could ever explain.

Love,

Mum.

 

How can I simply move on?

Miyung then took out her father’s letter from the envelope.

 

Dear Miyung,

Now, I'm going to explain the things that I know in this letter. Like what your mum mentioned, we knew this day would come. We have no idea who your real parents are. On that fateful day, a woman came and begged us to take care of you. She even knew our names...your mum and I were freaked out and wanted to reject her. But when we met eyes with you, you looked so innocent and vulnerable and that was when we accepted the request of the woman. She warned us about the dangers of adopting you and that you were not from Earth but we still agreed. That was the reason why we forced you learn Taekwondo. I hope you didn't hate us for that. We did what we did to protect you from dangers and also for you to become a good fighter. We wanted to give you a normal childhood an so we did not mention about your adoption. Before your biological mother left, she told us that on your 16th Birthday, you would have a superpower. What power is it, I'm not sure.

Precognition

That's all that I know, I hope you understand the situation and accept it. Remember your promise to your mum. Move on and be happy. I love you.

Love,

Dad.

 

Mum, Dad why did you sacrifice for me? I was not even your child.  

Tears started falling down uncontrollably as Miyung clenched onto the hem of her shirt.

“Why?! Why me?! Of all people, all the goddamn people in the world, why me?!" Miyung screamed as she brought her knees to her chest.

It was like someone pulled out her heart and broke it into a million pieces. She stood up and punched the mirror behind her with both hands. She stood like this, with her bloodied hands in the mirror until she felt someone raise her hands up. She tried to pull her hands away but his grip on her wrist was firm. He cautiously put his hand over hers and a bright light appeared. When he retracted his hands, the wound was no longer there.

"I…We will always be there for you. I know we can’t change what has happened but we can change what will happen from now. You have two choices – one, keep wasting your life, your parents’ sacrifice by blaming the world. Or two, join us. Find the truth and avenge your parents." He whispered and left the room.

“What exactly did you say hyung? I haven’t heard anything for the past thirty minutes.” Chanyeol said as he walked towards the living room. He has been standing at Miyung’s door to see if he can hear any sound.

Lay shrugged, “I just said what she needed to hear.”

The door clicked opened as Miyung came out of her room. The boys looked at her like she was made of glass and paved the way for her as she walked to the centre.

"I can’t say I’m fine. I don’t think I ever will be. But he is right.” Miyung looked at Lay, “I cannot change what has happened, but I can change what will happen. And what I want is to avenge my parents’ death. They did not sacrifice their lives for me to waste it.” Miyung then bowed ninety degrees. “I’m sorry for what I said earlier. I hope you would forgive me and allow me to join you to find the truth about my family.”  

"You are already forgiven." Suho said as he guided her back up. “You will be part of us even if you don’t want to. But, before we do anything else, let’s introduce ourselves first.”

After the little introduction session, Miyung learnt that the twelve boys are called EXO. They have two sub groups EXO K – guided by Suho, whose ability is water, and EXO M – guided by Kris, whose ability is flight. The overall leader, however, is still Suho. Under EXO K are, Chanyeol – fire, Baekhyun – light, Kyungsoo – earth, Kai – teleportation and Sehun – wind. Under EXO M are, Chen – lightning, Luhan – telekinesis, Lay – healing, Xiumin – frost and Tao – time.  

“So Miyung, what's your power?" Xiumin asked.

"I think it's Precognition. I had a few incidents when everything that I saw in a dream or vision came true. It’s pretty useless since I couldn’t even do anything when I saw my parent’s death hours beforehand." Miyung said bitterly.

"But you have us now, and that is something you can do about it. We can help you maximise your power.” Kris reassured Miyung.

“I guess you’re right.” Miyung slowly walked to the window and drew open the windows but there was no sky. It was black.

What. What is this place?

Luhan noticed the confusion on Miyung’s face and said, “Just in case you’re wondering why there’d no sky, it’s because we are in space.”

 

what.