STORY 1 - SANDARA

THE STORY OF US (Romantic Comedy)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SANDARA's POV

 

WOW! Rise and shine.

 

I am here lying at our grassy little backyard while having a game with the sun. Yep, with the SUN! We are staring at each other and whoever tears first (which, of course, no other than ME) without reaching the thirty seconds limit...will be DOOMED! So better put my best here before I just plan to kill my own self.

 

"20 seconds, unnie.", GO! 20 more seconds.

 

"15 seconds", I blinked my eyes for how many times to prevent my eyes for tearing while praying for my life at the same time.

 

"5 seconds left, unnie", Waaaaahh! My eyes hurt. Please eyes, cooperate.

 

"4 seconds", AJA! AJA! AJA!

 

"2 seconds", one more second. No tearing. No tearing, please!

 

"One anddd...", and? Zero, please say zero.

 

"YA! There is a tear. YOU LOSE, UNNIE!"

 

That is the most terrifying sentence I ever heard. The cold liquid streaming down on my cheek is the proof that my ears are not deceiving me. My eyes, my not for good eyes, betrayed me. Now, committing suicide is the best opinion.

 

I slowly pushed myself up to a sit and started rubbing and blinking my eyes to get a normal vision after I stared at the stupid sun.

 

"Unnnniiiee!", I heard my sister playfully calling me but I chose to act like I don’t heard her. After my vision comes back to normal, I hopped up and dust off my clothes while putting an INNOCENT expression on my face like nothing is happening around.

 

"Unniieee…", I still ignored her. Oh please, just think of me as a bubble that was about to pop in no time. I showed her a smile and started pacing the door to our house but my sister is quick enough to block my path. Argh. I looked at her and smiled again. I need to shoo her away because I will commit suicide.

 

"Unnie, don't forget about your promise", she reminded me while waving the stopwatch in front of my face. I automatically glared at the non-living thing before I roughly snatched it and looked at it with firing eyes. Grr. One second, a FREAKING ONE SECOND LEFT.

 

"Can we do that again?", I then asked my sister and effetely clasped my hands together and looked at her with begging eyes.

 

I think I totally lost my mind at this moment.

 

She stared at me in disbelief and I know she would scream at me this time.

 

"NO!", she screamed. "This would be the tenth time you're going to do that. Look at your eyes, it's now sore. Have some pity", she rant at me while throwing her hands here and there. Oh look at her, I'm older than her if that's what you ask but she acts like she's the one older than me. Pffft.

 

"But..but."

 

"NO buts."

 

"But.."

 

"NO!"

 

That's it! Step away and I will commit suicide.

 

I looked once again at the timer before glaring at the sun. I will seriously start hating the sun from now on. I grumpily gave back the stupid timer to my sister and was about to run away when she held her hand up while shaking her head.

 

"Minzy-ah!!!!", I whined like a child. Okay, just a reminder, I AM OLDER THAN HER.

 

"You made a promise, unnie."

 

"But that school really doesn't suit me.", there, I finally said it.

 

"And what do you preferred more? School of dogs?", she sardonically said with raising eyebrow. I formed my lips in an exaggerated sad expression while also trying to think if there is really a school for dogs.

 

"Can I join those dogs?", I voiced out. She slapped a palm on her forehead and sighed in disbelief. In normal reaction, I would laugh at her but this is not the right time to do that. "Can I just choose that school?"

 

"Cut that, unnie", she glared at me and sighed again. "Look, it's your chance now. It's a big chance and don't just let this opportunity slip in your hands", she explained. WOW. Where did she get that line?!

 

Big chance? That school is the nightmare for me. I can't even take imagining landing my cute toes on that school. Golly, I am so...

 

"Lucky!", Minzy blurted out. I snapped my head and looked at her incredulously

 

"What did you just say?", I asked with disbelieving tone and she repeated the word that I almost collapse. What do you mean lucky???????

 

"Minzy-ah, you don't know what kind of life you are putting me into", I frantically exclaimed and was about to sidestep to continue my suicidal when I saw my Auntie running towards where we are while holding a piece of paper. I know by now I won't like the news she's going to announce.

 

"Dara, look. I got now your registration form", she announced lively the moment she reached us. "You are now an official Seoul University student."

 

I don't breathe and I don't blink. I just stared at the paper with deadpan eyes.

 

"I am so proud of you Dara-ah. Only chosen people has the chance to land their foot on their golden pathway, and you are one of them.", my aunt Gummy enthusiastically said, the excitement on her voice is really obvious.

 

I saw her and Minzy high-fived and started jumping like a kid. I blinked twice and totally took the chance to run away and hurriedly go to my room in no record time. I tripled locked my door for sure, and if it's possible, I will forever stay here inside.

 

Not long after, I heard the loud tapping of their hands on my door while calling out my name.

 

I am not coming out. Gosh, I cannot believe what they've done to me. They are insisting me to enroll to that /gulp/ University. I ALWAYS keep on rejecting whenever they try to shove that school down my throat. But I don’t know how it happened but the next thing I knew they planned on forming the scholarship by their own secretly.

 

Actually, they were bugging me about it for almost a year but as I say, they are no wins against me for I keep on rejecting it.

 

I HATE THAT SCHOOL WITH A BURNING PASSION.

 

And you are asking me now why I hate that school? Oh come on, that is Seoul Life University, the famous Uni in the whole South Korea and the most prestigious one. Everyone knows that all students studying there (or should I say allowed there) are rich, wealthy, well-known, uhh.. luxurious, heirs or heiress, prince or princess. In short, that’s not ME!!!!!

 

Darn scholarship! You see, I'm quite a smart person. Kekeke. I am very proud of myself not until now that it became the reason why I am being this unfortunate.

 

Most of you think that I should be glad I'll study there??? Come here and I'll kick your .

 

Everyone knows that every people inside there are.. are.. are freaking not like me. /sigh/ I am just a simple girl with a simple and contented life, with a small and a happy family. I am already satisfied with my life selling fishes at the market for our living, satisfied living my life with my auntie and my sister.

 

*blink *blink

 

"Unnie, YA! Open the door.", Minzy's voice cut my thoughts of hating myself (oh, I hated my life just now). They tapping so loudly at my door it can make our neighbor’s cat deaf.

 

"Unnie, don't be so stubborn. Don’t make me kick this door of yours!”

 

"NO! I won't open it. I already told you I don't want to be in that schoooolll.", I came closer contact to the door so I don't need to shout loud my response.

 

"Dara-ah, Seoul University is big time. What keeps you refusing it?", Aunt Gummy then asked as they stopped making loud tapping. I take off my ponytail and annoyingly messed my hair.

 

What keeps me refusing it?! A LOT! To be honest, I before dreamt to be part of that university someday (who wouldn’t), it is very well-known and it's indeed true it’s a rare opportunity for people like me to have a chance to enter that golden place so I once desire of even laying my finger at their gate. But that was just BEFORE.

 

Now I hate it, like what I said, I don't want to even set my eyes there. When one time I searched about that school at the internet (which was actually the first time I tried touching a computer by myself) I learned that they are really strict on keeping their reputation of their school. And oh ghad, their no. 1 rule is the most lamest, dumbness, stupidest, silliest, ravish, (and any kinds of nonsensical adjectives) I ever known:

 

'Keep calm and stay rich'

 

I mean, what is that???!!!!

 

And oh, academic comes LAST. That school is unbelievable. I started to question myself why that school is the most famous one, it's all about pride money So, where is the thing I should be proud of?

 

Knowledge must come first. So I already imagining myself once I set my dusty shoes there, I will be welcomed by laser eyes that'll burn my whole system. Am I being reasonable here?

 

Fish vendor and Seoul Life university doesn’t belong in one sentence.

 

Ohh, and one more thing…

 

*KABLAGG

 

I literally stumble forward when my door suddenly flung open. Ouchhhh! I pushed myself up to see my sister walking with her hands resting at her waist.

 

"Please..please. Have mercy. I've been a good girl ever since.. I-uh.. Don-",

 

I was about to start my drama when Minzy grimaced at my stupid look and my Aunt uncontrollably raised an eyebrow. Hmmm.. Suicide now, suicide.

 

"You are really unreasonable, unnie", she commented accompanied with rolling eyes.

 

"You don't get my point, Minzy-ah. That school is really dumb, it doesn't suit me at all.", I defended myself.

 

"What are you saying? You're not just smart, you can be a genius, you are 110% fits in there."

 

I rapidly shook my head. These two seems like they don't have any single idea about that school.

"Yeah, smart if smart. But..", I paused as I find it hard to explain the whole thing and reason why I don't want to be in that school. Mygosh. I began tapping my foot while fumbling with my fingers.

 

"Unnie.", I heard Minzy sighed. "I am Park Minzy and I will only tell you this once. Tomorrow, you are going to Seoul and accept this scholarship whether you like it or not. You'll leave us here in Busan and.. Epp! Don't talk.", she paused and raised her hands when she saw I was about to interrupt her. I clamped my mouth.

 

"This is your first and last chance, unnie. Please, just this once, give yourself a treat", she stated and her voice lowered. "If you worry about us, don't. Coz' we will assure you we'll be fine here. You already sacrifice a lot for us, so it's your time now", she was looking at me softly when she's stating those sentences. Minzy got a point.

 

"Dara-ah, we did these surprise all for you because you deserve this. You deserve more than just a 'market girl', it's actually not your work to do.", Aunt Gummy mumbled before gazing down, looking sorry.

 

"Auntie? Minzy?"

 

"Unnie, we are sorry. You've been working hard all your life because of me. You're doing what our mom and dad missed to give. I'm sorry, unnie.", Minzy then said with shaking voice. What is this now?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter