Chapter 5: He won’t just stop

It All Started With A BET (ON-HOLD)

 

“Hwejang, the try out just ended. You’ll watch the final try out next week,right?” JiHyo the Manager of JYHU’s basketball varsity team asked Seohyun one day after the officer’s meeting.

 

“Ne. I’ll make some time to watch it. I’m sure Hyoyeon Unnie will watch it too.” She replied while gathering her things.

 

“Great! So, I’ll see you then. I’ll go ahead.” JiHyo then bowed at her before leaving the room.

 

After a few more minutes, she also left HQ. She’ll be picking up YoonA since they agreed to go shopping today with the rest of the girls.

 

It has been a week since YoonA transferred to JYHU and just like what she planned, she ended everything with JongHyun but he did not agree with it. In fact, YoonA said that he has been acting sweet to her all of a sudden. What made them mad is that they knew that JongHyun is already engaged. ‘I think being a playboy runs to that group.’ Seohyun thought. But they are starting to get worry since they know that YoonA still love that guy.

 

When she reached the classroom, the students are already going out.

 

She walked closer to the door when she suddenly saw YongHwa going out of the room with Minhyuk and Jungshin behind him.

 

“Oh?! Are you waiting for me? Have you finally decided to go out with me?”

 

“In your dreams.” She said rolling her eyes.

 

It has been also one week since YongHwa was asking her out. He almost did all the possible invitations and strategy but Seohyun is consistent in rejecting his offer. And their bickering moment still goes on everytime they will see each other. They are like cat and dog that shouldn’t be together for they will just end up fighting.

 

Then she saw YoonA coming out of the room. “Unnie. Let’s go. I can’t take the bad air here.” She said grabbing her friend’s hand.

 

But YoonA didn’t move so she turned around to see her.

 

“Joohyun-ah, can you tell the girls that I won’t be able to make it today. There’s something I need to go.”

 

Then she saw JongHyun at YoonA’s back. “Don’t tell me you’re going with him? Again?” she asked, Yoona gently nodded.

 

Seohyun bit her lower lip feeling frustrated. She looked at YoonA with a straight face and heaved a sigh. “Geure, ahrasseo. But let me just remind you Unnie, that guy, he’s getting married. I hope you don’t forget that.”

 

She looked at JongHyun with a serious face. “Not because we’re letting her go with you,we’re already good, Jonghyun ssi. We are just doing this because it’s what she wants, but make her cry again, I won’t stand still. I won’t just stand still JongHyun ssi. Don’t tell me, I didn’t warn you.”

 

She looked again at YoonA. “I’ll see you at the shop. Bye.” She kissed her on the cheek before walking out feeling disappointed.

 

====================================================================================

 

 

“What I don’t get is why she is still going out with him?!” Taeyeon, the oldest in the group said. They are inside their favorite restaurant. They just finished shopping and they decided to eat something. YoonA had been their topic since Seohyun told them what happened.

 

Taeyeon was like the mother of the group because of the way she protects and talked to the girls. She just graduated in College last year and was now preparing to take over her father’s position as the CEO of their own cosmetic brand.

 

“Should we talk to Jonghyun?” Sooyoung asked grabbing a slice of  pizza. Sooyoung, the second oldest in the group is a well known chef in Korea. She recently won in a cooking competition that was held in England. She owns her own Italian restaurant somewhere in Seoul and it is really popular since people knew her from that competition.

 

“We can’t do that. YoonA will be disappointed. We made a promise.” Sunny, the smallest girl in the group said. Sunny is a Multimedia Arts student in Seoul University. She wanted to work behind the camera someday. Her family owns a broadcasting station.

 

“Sunny is right. Besides, I think YoonA and Jonghyun, they are doing well. YoonA is happy everytime she hangs out with him.” Tiffany said after sipping her juice.

 

“But he is still engaged.” Seohyun butted in.

 

Seohyun have eight friends that she all met in a dance academy two years ago. But since the three of them graduated last year, they never really got the time to see each other very often. So they are really making an effort to do it at least once a month that’s why they are disappointed that they are not complete today.

 

“I bought the new CD today. Are you going on Saturday Maknae? Let’s listen to it together.Hmm?” Sunny changed the topic since this YoonA and Jonghyun issue is making her sick already.

 

Aside from shopping, there’s one thing that the nine of them enjoyed doing, listening to music. Yes, unknown to everybody, Seohyun loves music. It’s something that she never told anyone from school. She is in fact a music lover, she feels like she has her own world when she’s listening to it.

 

“Mianheyo Unnie. I can’t. I’ll be meeting a new student this weekend. I have to earn more money now, we have so many expenses in the bakery that are all due next month.”

 

“I told you, we’ll just lend you money.” Jessica coldly said crossing her arms. Jessica, like Taeyeon and Sooyoung also graduated last year. And since her family owns shopping malls, she is managing one of her family’s shopping mall. Jessica may look like a cold person who doesn’t care to what’s happening on her surrounding but she has a soft heart when it comes to her friends. She is the most over protective girl among them. She hates people who are giving the girls a hard time. She always does what she wants and prefers doing everything in her own way.

 

She shakes her head. “It’s fine. Just keep it Sica Unnie.” Seohyun smiled.

 

“As always.” Jessica replied while looking at her nails.

 

=========================================================================================================================

 

“JooHyun-ah, breakfast is ready.” Seohyun’s mom said enough for her to hear.

 

Seohyun went out of the room wearing a blue top and denim pants.

 

“Are you going somewhere today?” Her mother asked as soon as she was seated.

 

“Ne, Omma. I have to meet my new student. I just got a text message the other day and she asked me if I can meet her today.” Seohyun said picking up some kimchi with her chopsticks.

“Joohyun-ah, you should at least take some rest. You’ve been working on weekdays after your school. You have to take care of your health.” Her mother said after giving her some egg rolls.

 

“I am taking care of myself Omma. I take my vitamins regularly and---“

 

“That’s not what I mean, JooHyun-ah.” Her mother cut her off. Seohyun pouted but later on smiled.

 

“Kwaenchanayo Omma. I can still do it. You have a very strong daughter, remember?” Seohyun giggles when her mother just rolled her eyes then they continue to eat their breakfast.

 

“Joohyun-ah,” her mother called again when they are already cleaning the dining table.

 

“Ne?” she turned to her.

 

“Your Imo called yesterday.” She began, hesitating if she will tell her what her sister told her over the phone.

 

“Min Jae Imo? Really? What did she say?” Seohyun excitedly asked. Her aunt is the only sister of her mother who lives far away from Seoul. She is living with her mother, Seohyun’s grandmother who owns a small bakeshop in the province.

 

Her mother holds her hand and smiled a little. “She have to go to Japan for some job opportunity, she asked me if I can stay with your halmeoni while she’s away. You know that your halmeoni is not getting any younger.”

 

Seohyun was taken aback with what her mother said that she only muttered a short “Ne?”

 

“I told her that I’ll ask you first. You know that I don’t want to leave you here. You’re a girl and it’s really not a good idea to leave you alone besides I have to take care of our business too.”

 

Seohyun tried to smile swallowing the hard lump in while digesting what her mother told her. It took her a while before she finally got the courage to talk. Seohyun might look like a very strong woman in JYHU who seems to be not scared of anyone or of anything. But there’s one thing she is really scared of, being away with her mother and anything related to her mother. Yes, Seohyun’s weakness is none other than her mother.

 

“Don’t worry about me Omma. I can take care of myself besides, I’m already twenty three, I’m not that young anymore. You can go to Halmeoni. She needs you now.” She said suppressing the tears that wanted to fall. This will not be easy on her part since this will be the first time that she will be away from her mother but she needs to be strong. She can’t show to her mother that she’s weak. Besides, she knows that time will come that she will live away from her.

 

‘I won’t be by your side all the time. I can’t stay with you forever, soon you’ll have your own family and when that time comes, I can’t live with you anymore. You’ll need to live independently before that time comes. You need to learn to depend on yourself and not to the people around you.’ Her mother will always tell her these words whenever she is feeling down. She grew up remembering these words from her mother. Her mother made her to a strong woman she is right now that’s why she can’t show her that she’s scared of living alone.

 

“But—“

 

“Omma, it’s really fine. I’ll be okay here. I can still visit you during my vacation and we can still call each other.” She tried to smile so her mother will stop worrying.

 

Her mother smiled. “Thank you Joohyun-ah.” Her mother said sobbing. She knows this is also hard for her mother. She hugged her mother tightly. “Don’t worry too much about me, Omma.”

 

“So when are you going to leave?” she asked after their hug

 

“Next week. Is that okay?” Her mother said wiping her tears.

 

“That fast?” She smiled and heaved a sigh. “Ahrasseoyo Omma. Don’t worry too much. Okay?” She said  giving her mother a hug again.

 

“I’ll go ahead now Omma. I’ll see you later.” She said gathering her things.

 

“Geure. Take care on your way.” Seohyun hugged her mother again.

 

She hurriedly went out of their house and when she’s sure that she’s already far away from their block, she stops at the corner.  Her mother was her only companion after her father left them years ago. She doesn’t know if she will survive without her but what she only knows is she has to be strong. She has to be strong for her mother and for her family. Anyway, it will be only a few months before she’ll graduate then she can already followed her there.

 

She took a deep breath. “Just hang on JooHyun-ah. Fighting!” She said fixing herself then her phone vibrated. It was a message from her new student.

 

“OMO! I’m late already.” She hurriedly catch a cab to reach her destination.

 

====================================================================================

 

She arrived ten minutes late at the coffee shop where she will be meeting her new student. She was looking for a girl wearing a black shirt and blue cap as what she said on the text message as a description so she will easily find her when she saw a very familiar figure.

 

It’s YongHwa but she ignored him maybe he was here to meet someone and that’s not her business anymore. She passed through his table without even looking at him.

 

‘Where is she?’ She thought as she was scanning the people in the coffee shop.

 

“Are you looking for Soojung ssi?” She was about to call her student when she heard YongHwa talked behind her.

 

She turned around to look at him. “Ottokke Ahrasseo?” she asked raising her right eyebrow.

 

YongHwa crossed his arms. “You’re ten minutes late. I thought you never get late.”

 

Seohyun frowned when he did not answered her question then it suddenly hit her when she saw what he’s wearing.

 

“Y-You…Seolma..D-Don’t tell me---“

 

“Ne. I am your new student. I just used that name because I know you will not go here if I told you who I really was.” YongHwa said grinning.

 

“You are seriously driving me crazy. This is non sense, I wasted my time going here for nothing.”

 

She walked straight but YongHwa grabbed her hand. “Where are you going? We’re not even starting yet.”

 

She shoves his hand away. “Who told you I will teach you?! I only tutor female students. It seems like you didn’t read the whole details in the flyer. Also, I’m not yet crazy to teach a bastard like you.” She turned around ready to walk out.

 

“I’ll double the payment.” She suddenly remembers the things she needed to pay for this month.

 

‘There’s still another way.’ She said to herself.

 

“Then find someone who will accept your offer because I won’t accept that no matter what.” Then she walked out of the coffee shop feeling annoyed.

 

Instead of going home she headed to a place where she can release her anger. She decided to see her unnie-deul.

 

====================================================================================

 

When Monday came, Seohyun came to school early as usual. She’s walking to HQ when she notices that the people are all looking at her. It’s like they are talking about her but when she turned to look at them they will act as if they are not looking at her.

 

“Weird.” She whispered and just ignored them then continued walking.

 

She’s busy discussing the proposal of the officers for the Acquaintance Party to Tiffany and Luhan when JiHyo came in with the rest of the officers.

“Good morning Hwejang!” she greeted her cheerfully.

 

“Good morning.” She greeted back.

 

“So as I was saying, are we---“

 

“Hwejang!” she stops from talking when JiHyo came to her table.

 

“JiHyo-ssi. Can’t you see we’re in the middle of a meeting?” LuHan said in a serious tone.

 

“Mianhe, I was just curious of something.” JiHyo replied pouting.

 

“It’s okay Luhan-ah.” Then she turned to JiHyo. “What is it?” JiHyo smiled widely.

 

“How was your weekend Hwejang?”

 

“Ne?” She asked as she finds the question weird. Nobody asked her about what she’s doing when they don’t have a class. Everybody knows that she’s still a busy person even on weekends.

 

“Oh, it was good. Why?” Then JiHyo suddenly squealed that made everybody in the HQ surprised.

“Really?! So where did you go with Jung YongHwa ssi?” Seohyun’s eyes widened with her question.

 

“Ne?!?!”

 

“Aigoo, don’t tell me you will still deny it. Come on. You should have at least told us that you are dating him. I got really jealous when I saw the photo last night but—“

 

“Yah, JiHyo ssi. What are you saying?!” Tiffany banged the table loudly in annoyance as she stands up and looked at JiHyo.

 

“Where did you hear all these non sense rumors?!” LuHan asked her.

 

“Eh? You don’t know? The picture of her and YongHwa-ssi holding hands is all over the internet since last night. I was actually shocked because I thought you said he was just joking when he asked her to go out, right?”

 

“We did not go out and we did not hold hands! I’m not yet crazy to do that!” She corrected her.

 

“So where did those pictures came from?”

 

“I saw him yesterday in the coffee shop. I thought I’ll have a new student but it turned out that it was him so I backed out. He grabbed my hand when I was about to leave but I still rejected his offer. That’s it!” she explained.

 

“That’s it?” JiHyo asked again.

 

“Ne. I’ll go to our room first.” She bowed at everybody because she can’t take the way they look at her.

 

“YAH! Neo Jinjja! You should watch your mouth! Aish!” LuHan scolded JiHyo when Seohyun left the room.

 

“’ll go to my room now too.” Tiffany said as she gathered her things.

 

“Fany-ah. Mianhe, I didn’t know. I thought you already know since everybody has been talking about it.” JiHyo tried to explain.

 

Tiffany looked at JiHyo then to everybody in the HQ.

 

“You don’t need to apologize to me. I was not the person you judged, it’s my friend. I’ll let this off for now but judge her again, I won’t stand still. Geurigu, I thought we should  all know her better than those people outside this HQ. Before we believe with those rumors, I hope you ask her first. I’m not mad, I’m just disappointed that you believe those rumors without even knowing what really happened. Seohyun is having a hard time right now. Let’s not add to her burden anymore.” Tiffany said before walking out of the room to follow Seohyun.

 

====================================================================================

 

‘Is that why the students are looking at me strangely?’  Seohyun thought as she was walking the hallway.

 

“Is that really her? It’s impossible.”

 

“I thought she doesn’t like guys?”

 

“I heard she rejected YongHwa Oppa by calling him gay.”

 

“Jinjja?!”

 

She heard  three female students  talking outside the classroom. She looked at them and faked a smile.

 

“I will really appreciate it if you will be inside of your classroom studying your notes instead of gossiping outside of something you really don’t know the whole story. Your parents sent you here to study and learn not to gossip about non sense things.” She said glaring at the three girls before they entered the room.

 

She continued walking when she heard a familiar voice.

 

“Look who’s here?”

 

It’s Chae Rin with her three friends looking at her from head to feet while crossing their arms.

 

‘Not this time,please.’

 

“So after calling YongHwa Oppa a gay, you still went out with him? You hate guys? What a joke!” Chae Rin looked at her from head to feet then smirked.

 

Seohyun smiled and went closer to them. She looked at Chae Rin coldly. “I don’t know if you’re saying this because you’re still bitter that you lost on the election or is it because, you can’t accept that I was spotted with YongHwa ssi? Whatever it is, you still look bitter.”

 

“Mwo?!”

 

“Wae? You can’t accept the fact that YongHwa went out with me when in fact he can ask you out instead of me since you’re close with him. Or maybe he already dumped you so here you are venting your bitterness to me.” She smirked as she saw Chae Rin’s reaction. She  can tell that Chae Rin is pissed now. The students have gathered around them since they are already making a scene.

 

“You’re such a gold digger, so after Prof.Lee, YongHwa Oppa is your next target? So pathetic.”

 

“I’m not a gold digger. I earned my money. I worked hard for it. I never asked money from my mother. I’m not like you who cannot live without your parents. I never asked money from my mother just to buy my own food unlike you; you can’t live without your parent’s money. If it’s not for your rich family, YOU are nothing, Chae Rin-ssi.”

 

“YAH! What the hell did you just say now?! You don’t know who you’re messing with.”

 

“I did not start the fight. That’s why I told you, never underestimate this pathetic girl because you don’t know her well. You know that I can do better than you.” She smirked.

 

Chae Rin was about to slap her but---

 

“YAH! CHOI CHAE RIN!”

 

They heard YongHwa shouted.

 

“Oppa! It’s good that you’re here, once and for all---“

 

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING RIGHT NOW?!” YongHwa yelled at Chae Rin.

 

Seohyun was shocked that YongHwa shouted at Chae Rin. Nobody in JYHU dared to shout at her. It’s also the first time that she saw YongHwa being mad. She saw those glaring eyes before but it was different now.

 

“D-Did you just shout at me now?” Chae Rin looked at YongHwa then to everyone who are around them.

 

“Have you been like this the whole time? Bullying someone just because she’s not like you?! HUH?!”

 

“Mwo?! I-I am not---“

 

“Then what do you think are you doing?! You think I don’t know what you have been doing since you entered MY University?! The student Council was a mess last year because you had been an irresponsible President. But I let it off! We let it off! But what are you doing now?! You think bullying her will make you better than her?! Act properly Choi Chae Rin or I will let your parents know what you have been doing here. Stop giving your family’s name a shame!” YongHwa said seriously. Then the people started to whisper with one another. Seohyun never thought that YongHwa can be this serious. She never thought he has this side. It surprised her because she is used to see him pissing her off. ‘He’s not that bad, I guess.’ She thought.

 

YongHwa looked at the rest of the people. “Geurigu, what’s the big deal if I went out with Seo JooHyun?! Why the hell are you making it a big deal?! It’s not like we committed a crime! So what if we are dating?! Our love story is not your business anymore!”

 

Seohyun’s eyes grew much wider with the last sentence that he said. She was about to say something but YongHwa grabbed her hand and dragged her out of the hallway.

 

‘No, I take back what I thought about him a while ago! This bastard really knows nothing but to piss me off!’ She thought as she was dragged by him in the hallway. Seohyun feels so frustrated with what he did.

 

“YAAH! LET GO OF ME!” She yelled when they turned in the corner.

 

She shoved his hand away. “How dare you drag me here?! Mwoya?! ‘So what if we are dating?!’ NEO?! MICHEOSSEO?! You just made the rumors worst! You should have told them that it wasn’t true! Because of what you said there, people will assume that the rumor is true! Aish!”

 

“Then let’s make it real. Problem solved.” YongHwa said leaning his back on the wall while both his hands are in his pocket.

 

“That’s easy for you but not for me. You think that rumor is a joke?! It’s a serious matter for me! You really know how to piss me off. Can you at least stop pestering me?! Just for one day. I really don’t understand why you are being like this to me! WHAT DID I DO TO YOU TO DESERVE ALL OF THESE?!” She said frustatedly before walking out.

 

 

Author's Note:

 

Thank you for the comments. Keep them coming. See you on the next update. *wink* 

 

~ilovegoguma29~