ix.

Unsung Song Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Why am I thinking so much about him?" Jaekyung asked herself, looking up from the paper she was marking, knitting her eyebrows together. She was sitting in the staff room, with her eyes a little red because she didn't sleep a wink after she went out with Hoya. "It's not like I like him that much!" She muttered, looking uncertain. "Like him? Since when do I like him? I don't remember liking him. It's just that... he's interesting and perhaps a bit cute..."

"Jaekyung, who are you talking to?" Her colleague asked, eyeing her in amusement, taking Jaekyung by surprise.

"Ji Yun-ah, how would you know if you like someone?" Jaekyung asked, turning her whole torso to look at her friend. Ji Yun tilted her head and her eyes were focusing on the poster about the school vision behind Jaekyung, but she wasn't really looking. "I guess you will find yourself not being able to stop thinking about him..."

"Yes... And?"

"Um... You will find everything about him rather... fascinating? And then you hope you will see him every day and your heart will go a bit faster when you're with him."

"Right!?" Jaekyung exclaimed, suddenly.

"What?" Ji Yun asked, confused.

"If you like someone, surely your heart will go a bit dugeun dugeun, right?" She asked, with much enthusiasm, scaring her friend a little. "But my heart doesn't go all that dugeun dugeun so this means that I don't like him, right?"

"I guess..."

"And he doesn't make me shy at all."

"Well perhaps you're getting there." Ji Yun said, smiling meaningfully. "Those kinds of thing don't come in a whole bulk you see. Because when you talk about liking someone, I think it's a longer process than just having a crush. The longer it takes, the more you find yourself liking him. And the more you like him, the harder it is to get over him."

"That's not good." Jaekyung said, her face a little distraught.

"Are you perhaps, in denial?" Ji Yun laughed, checking her schedule in her journal.

"I'm not." She said, strictly but quickly losing her passion again. "This is confusing."

Ji Yun laughed again. "I guess when you like someone you just tend to get confused and do all those silly and crazy things."

"Crazy things?"

"Yeah, doing things that you wouldn't usually do just because you want to attract his attention or cooking when you can't even cook."

"Or go out at 4 in the morning to eat Melona." Jaekyung whispered to herself.

"What's that?"

"Nothing." She sighed and slammed her face onto the table, rolling her forehead from side to side, thinking about what happened just a few hours ago. She could still remember how cold it was but sitting beside Hoya, and feeling the heat radiating from him was just... She sat up straight and slapped her face repeatedly, and then she shook her head.

There's no way that I like him. But why did I say those things to him last night? Perhaps it was because I was caught up in the moment? But I can't really stop thinking about him. Even now, I'm thinking about him. But I don't feel all those butterflies in my stomach when I meet him. But my heart does go a little faster sometimes. But it's much faster when I see Nam Woohyun. Woohyun? I like Woohyun, don't I? I've liked him since the first day I saw him at uni. I mean, he's hot and handsome and he's a nice person with all his smiles and everything. But a popular guy like him, he must been taken. Ugh. I wonder who that girl is. See, this is how it is when you like someone. You will feel jealous even seeing his girl friend talking with him. Right? But I've never seen Hoya with another girl... So how would I know that?

 

"Ugh this is so confusing!" She said, out loud, gaining attention from some of the senior teachers around her. She quickly sat up straight and looked around apologetically and gave them an awkward smile. She saw the head teacher looking at her with a scary look, so she quickly looked down and began pretending to mark the papers again.

 

"But I think..." Ji Yun said, suddenly, looking thoughtful. "If you like that someone, you just feel like you can't stop smiling whenever you see him. And when he smiles, or laughs... God, that feeling!" She exclaimed, with her eyes widened, as she heaved a sigh. "And you would want to know about him. Even knowing his full name would probably make you feel like in heaven?"

Jaekyung bit her lip and stared at Ji Yun for a moment, feeling dreadful. Without a word, she kept away all the papers she was marking and walked out of the staff room.

I do want to know more about this Hoya... But... Even if I like him, wouldn't it be useless? It's not like he would like me back. When he's done with his mission, he'll go away, and I would never see him again, she thought, sulkily, while sitting on a bench in the school park. "Maybe I should stop it, before it's too late."

"Stop what?"

Jaekyung turned to her right, and got the shock of her life when she saw Nam Woohyun standing there, with a curious look on his face. She opened to say something but it came out like a squeak, making him laugh. "Woohyun... what are you doing here..." She asked, looking from left to right, and was glad that no one was really around since the classes were still ongoing.

"I came here to see you, of course."

"See me?"

"Uh-uh." He said, and sat down, very close to her. She gulped a little, and tried her best to inch away from him and when he spoke again, she almost felt like she had a heart attack. "How are you?"

"I'm good." She said, breathlessly. "But what are you doing here, really? It isn't even lunch time..."

"I was just looking around, waiting for lunch time." He smiled.

"Don't you have to work?" She asked, but she quickly bit her tongue.

"I have a flexible working time." He chuckled, looking around, with a smile on his face. "You don't have class?"

"Um, no." She cleared and watched his side profile. "Are you by any chance, here to ask me out for lunch?"

"Um, that's right." He nodded, sounding casual. "Why? Are you busy?"

"Ah? No, no. I'm not... busy." She said, looking away, and her fingers wouldn't stop fumbling on her lap, feeling her heart going faster. See, this is the how it is when you like someone! Your heart will just go crazy and you will feel your face burning and you hope he will somehow cup your chin and place his lips on yours... NO WAIT. What am I thinking!?

"Jaekyung, are you okay?" Woohyun asked, because she was shaking her head while closing her eyes.

"I'm fine!" She replied, and laughed awkwardly. "But Woohyun, can I ask you something?"

"Of course."

"How do I say this..." She tilted her head and gulped a little. "Why are you asking me out for lunch?"

Woohyun stared at her, with a slight pout as he was thinking. "How would you like me to answer that?"

"Um." She began getting a little panicky. "Honestly."

"Honestly?" He grinned before he laughed, and Jaekyung watched him in wonder. "You think?"

It can't be! It can't be, right? She screamed in her mind, looking a little red and this didn't go unnoticed by Woohyun.

"It's an honour you see, to go out for lunch with such a beautiful lady." He chuckled, making Jaekyung's face scarlet red and she was hanging her face low because she was so embarrassed. Jaekyung could only laugh nervously, scratching her cheek, hoping that no one else heard what he had just said. "What if... We go out for dinner some time?"

"Dinner?" She choked, looking up immediately.

"Um. This Saturday. How about it?"

"Dinner is... okay." She uttered, mechanically.

"Okay?"

"Okay." She muttered, looking at Woohyun who was beaming at her.

"Lunch this afternoon is also okay, then?"

"Lunch is okay." She said dreamily, staring into Woohyun's nice pair of eyes. He was also looking at her, with a rather amused face; a slight grin was forming across his face. Ahhh, he's so handsome and those lips must be nice to bite since they look so tempting... "AH! I forgot."

"What?" He asked, looking amused.

"I have to finish marking some test papers and I'm already delaying it... So I can't go out this afternoon..." She said, shooting him a guilty look, feeling a bit regretful about it. "I'm sorry..."

"Ahh I see. It's fine. You can't help it." He said, but he wasn't looking all that 'fine' hearing it because his smile had faded a little. "I'm looking forward to our dinner then." He said, and tried to smile brightly and the attempt sort of left Jaekyung in despair.

"Okay... I'm sorry..." She sniffed, bringing her face down.

"You don't have to feel so guilty about it!" He laughed, looking at her. "I should have called but I guess I was thinking that you would always be available, so the fault is mine." He paused and eyed her, rather teasingly. "But I've already seen you for the day, so it's okay."

What? What does that mean? Yah! What does that mean, she asked herself but the words wouldn't come to and he was already saying 'see you' and 'I'll call you' and he was walking away. She stood up, wanting to run after him but the bell rang suddenly, and the school roared up suddenly, with kids screaming to get their lunch along the corridors. "This is confusing..."

 

 

 

"Hwayoung, what are you doing here?" Sungjong asked, once he found her at the park after school. She was sitting on the bench, staring at people walking by and spacing out. She stood up when Sungjong arrived and began walking away.

"How did you find me?" She asked, clearly annoyed.

Sungjong ignored her question and asked, "Are you going for your tutor this afternoon?"

"No. Park-ssam has something to do today."

"Where are you going then?"

"No where."

"Where did you go after the third class?"

"Somewhere."

"Hwayoung!" Sungjong overtook her, and stood facing her, furrowing deep. "You can't go on like this. You have to go to school or otherwise people will really think that the rumour is true."

"But it is true." She said, laughing wryly. "You know that it is." Sungjong's face changed a little and he lost his confidence to keep on staring at her face any longer. When she tried to walk again, he stopped her. "Lee Sungjong, move."

"So what if the rumour is true? Hwayoung, you'll still be you, right?"

"No I won't!" She said, loudly. "I won't be the Hwayoung that you think you know, Lee Sungjong! I will be the drug dealer's daughter and no one wants to be friends with a drug dealer's daughter because you would think that everything that she owns and everything that she eats come from those dirty money you got from selling all those dopes!"

"Hwayoung..." Sungjong watched her eyes getting teary, and reached for her hand but she dodged it and looked away and ran off to the car which was waiting for her. Sungjong could only watch, cursing himself mentally. When the car disappeared from his sight, he turned his heels and walked towards his house, kicking pebbles and thinking about Hwayoung. He took the train home and stopped by the supermarket to buy some groceries that his mum had asked him to buy. He was choo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter