XV

Unsung Song Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hoya was standing outside the intensive care unit, looking at Hwayoung on the bed through the glass window. His mind was blank and all he could feel was guilt and anger; a deep, scorching anger for Nam Woohyun. He had heard about the incident from Hwayoung's driver who called him out of all people because he said Hwayoung herself pleaded him to. Hoya felt even more dreaded when he heard that. Everything was his fault, he thought, and tears filled up his eyes as he placed his hand against the glass, silently praying that Hwayoung was going to be okay.

 

"Hoya?"

 

Hoya turned his head to the female voice and his heart skipped a beat when he saw Jaekyung standing there, with a stunned face. She opened and closed for a few times before asking, "What... are you doing here?"

"What are you doing here?" he asked back, but it wasn't out of curiosity since he had suspected that Jaekyung might know Hwayoung as well, considering her relationship with Woohyun. But she never suspected the same familiarity from him apparently.

"I'm here to see my student..." she said, walking up closer to him. When she was standing a little closer to him, Hoya's throat felt narrowed but he couldn't take his eyes off her. "Do you know... Hwayoung?"

He was silent for a moment; staring at the face that he had said goodbye to. And there they were then, looking at one another, savouring the longing look in each other's eyes that neither of them could even hide. It was if their meeting the night before had been a dream. Hoya saw her eyes softening, almost hopeful, so he quickly looked away, "No."

"Park-ssam." They both looked to see Sungjong walking up to them, dragging along his IV. He was looking pale but his stance was strong and was surprised to see both Jaekyung and Hoya there. He frowned at the male. "What are you doing here?"

"Sungjong, you know Hoya?" Jaekyung asked, getting more confused.

"Of course I do. Does Park-ssam know him, too?"

"I do..." She looked at Hoya whose face had hardened and still faced the other way, "How..."

"I work for her father," Hoya said, quickly turning to Sungjong. "The doctor said she has passed the critical stage. Though we can't be sure what are the effects... she may wake up soon. She will," he said, almost like a whisper. Sungjong was silent, but he was looking at Hoya with a sharp glare.

"What happened to her?" Sungjong demanded. Jaekyung looked from Hoya to him nervously. Hoya glanced at Jaekyung. He couldn't say it; who would believe that her own brother had hit her with his car, he asked himself. Jaekyung would never believe me, he thought, somehow sadly.

"It was an accident," he said, and turned his face to look at Hwayoung who remained immobile on her bed since the night before. Her driver had even donated his blood for her surgery while he could only wait outside the surgery room. His heart kept on wrenching, but there wasn't anything that he could do for her at that moment except wishing hard that she would wake up. He wondered what he should do when she does. He knew that he couldn't just walk away; not after what he had put her through. "Take care of her," he said, to no one in particular and began making his way away from his stance.

"Hoya, wait!" Jaekyung cried, running after him. He was walking really fast, but she managed to catch up with him and caught his arm. "Hoya!"

"What do you want?" he asked, coldly but he stopped walking.

"Are you, by any chance, close to Hwayoung?" her voice was slow, somehow hopeful that Hoya would deny it.

"That's none of your business, Park Jaekyung."

"You know Woohyun, too," she said, more to herself and then she looked up at him, "Do you know where Woohyun is? I've been trying to call him..."

"That son-of-a-bi-" he said, but immediately stopped himself and shut his eyes as he ran his fingers through his hair in exasperation.

"Hoya," she furrowed and eyed him sharply. "Is there something wrong?"

To her surprise, he gripped her shoulders and stared back. "Jaekyung, please. Stay away from him."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Just... stay away," he said, his eyes softening and he slowly let her go and began walking away again.

"If you don't tell me the reason, how should I know if I should listen to you?" she said, loudly, and ran after him again, grabbing his arm forcefully that he had to stop again. She bit her lip and tried to breathe properly. "I thought you were running away..." Hoya was quiet, feeling his arm strangely burdened by her loose grip. "I thought last night would be the last time we'll ever meet..."

"It is," he replied, looking at her sharply. "I'm not here to see you."

Her face changed. "You don't have to be so mean..." They were both silent as she slowly let him go, leaving him hollow. "You know... I couldn't sleep thinking about last night." Her voice was slow, and small. "I don't think you really meant it when you said goodbye. I don't think it is true that the kiss was meaningless. I think, you know that I'm right."

"We're done talking about that. It ended. You should just act like you don't know me," he said, harshly, but it didn't offend her even a bit. He noticed it when she stared at him, longingly.

"Can a person's heart change in one night?" she asked. "I don't think so... Because the way you're looking at me right now tells me that nothing has changed."

He looked sideways, his lips. Then, he stared back at her with his gaze so sharp but she wasn't looking elsewhere. He almost grinned. "Jaekyung."

"Yes?"

He closed his eyes, trying to find words. "I am not someone you should get involved with. Not under this circumstance. Not now."

"Then," she bit her lip and furrowed, "if we have met under a different circumstance at a different time... Will you stay?"

His gaze softened, along with his heart. Hoya knew he was wishing the same thing. But confirming that Jaekyung was acquainted to Hwayoung has made the situation even more difficult for him. If she knew... Hoya bit back his tongue. "Why are you so stubborn?"

"Because I like you," she said, breathlessly, with a face indicating that she was on the verge of tears. Her cheeks had reddened, along with her ears, and she was gulping down the block in .

"I am no good, Jaekyung," he said, helplessly.

"Do you think I care about that now?" she cried, a bit loud.

"You should," he said, almost comfortingly, "I might even ruin your future."

"Just stop talking in riddles and tell me, Hoya. Just what are you hiding from me?" she demanded, and Hoya's chest tightened at the sight of her teary eyes. He stared into them, no longer cared that his own eyes were longing for her and almost reached for her when his conscience kicked in.

"I can't," he said, in a small, broken voice. "You will hate me..."

"I will hate you if you're not telling me."

"Is that so?" he smiled weakly. "It's better that way then, I guess."

"Don't go," she said, grabbing his arm. "Please, don't go."

"I'm not going anywhere, Jaekyung," he said, slowly peeling off her hand. "I am not even here."

 

Jaekyung looked up in wonder at his words; and his sad face and she wanted to argue more, but Hoya was already turning his back to her, disappearing around the corner. She knew it was futile to run after him, knowing that he would just push her away again. But, their short meeting has sent her hope level back up again though she knew it was going to take more than coincidence to meet him again. Sighing, Jaekyung returned to Hwayoung's ward, joining Sungjong who was still standing there, watching her behind the glass. He was crying a little, and Jaekyung gently patted his back. Her thoughts to question him about Hoya were pushed aside, seeing Sungjong's desperate face at that moment. After minutes of just standing in silence, she excused herself and went home.

 

As she strode up toward the hospital's entrance, one of her hands was slowly caressing her shoulder, at the exact place where Hoya held her. For some reason, every touch that he gave her would linger, as if it was something painful that leaves a scar. But there weren't any. He didn't even hold her that rough. But his hand would always burn when he touches her skin. The thought somehow left Jaekyung even more miserable, thinking that it was really the last time she would see him and how she had basically cried the whole night because of him.

"Jaekyung..."

 

She looked up to see Woohyun standing at one corner. Despite his effort to smile, it only came out as a weary thin line. He was wearing a fine shirt but his slouched posture didn't do it justice. His eyes were red and his hair looked like he had been combing it in all the wrong directions.

"Woohyun, what..." She instinctively reached out for him, holding him by his elbow. "Woohyun-ah, Hwayoung..."

"Yes..." he replied, his eyes losing focus.

"I'm sorry..." she said, rubbing the side of his arm, "She'll be fine. Hwayoung is a strong girl."

"Will she?" his voice cracked, and she immediately realised how heartbroken he was at that moment. Hwayoung was his sister, but she was more than that to him. Losing her would mean losing his whole world. Jaekyung felt her stomach going hollow thinking of it. "It's not my fault..."

"Eh?" she looked into his eyes but they were unfocussed, almost blank; almost sick to be looked at. "What are you talking about?"

"It's his fault..." he said, with an undeniable contempt in both his eyes and hard edge voice. Jaekyung was more than startled, but she was still confused and unknowing of the situation. "Jaekyung-ah..."

"Yes?"

"Come with me." He wasn't pleading, or asking, but it was rather like an order. She stifled up; Hoya's warning was suddenly on heavy rotation in her head. But she had known Woohyun longer than she had known Hoya, and there was no chance that Woohyun would hold any bad intention towards her. Of course, he had somehow used her to distract his feeling for Hwayoung but it was only because he had no other choice.

"Where are we going?" Jaekyung thought she was must be imagining things as she was him turning away with a wild smile on his face. Nevertheless, she followed him to his car, and climbed in. But her hands were shivering a little when she was buckling up, tensed by how Woohyun was breathing raggedly. "Woohyun, are you okay?"

"I'm not..." he said, starting the engine, and began driving out of the underground parking lot. "I don't know what to do about Hwayoung..."

"I shouldn't have asked that. I'm sorry..." she said, quietly, and stared empathetically at his pensive face. "But... Woohyun, where are we going?" her voice was small, and she hated it. She felt uneasy when he didn't answer her question so she spoke again, "Woohyun-ah, I don't think I should be coming with you right now. Besides, you should be by Hwayoung's side when she wakes up!"

"Shut up!" he bellowed, startling her so much that she shook for a few seconds.

"Woohyun...?"

"You seem to know Hoya?" She was quiet, unsure of what to answer. "I saw you running after him. I heard you called his name. I heard what the both of you talked about."

"What?" she was speechless, and overwhelmed, but she tried hard to recover by shaking her head in a few unsure shakes. "What does that have to do with anything?"

"It has to do with everything," he said, gritting his teeth. "You don't know what that bastard did to Hwayoung..."

"Hoya?" she muttered, blinking rapidly. "What do you mean?"

"If it wasn't because of him, Hwayoung wouldn't have ended up like that!" he cried, furiously. "It's all because of him!"

"I-I don't understand... Because of Hoya? I'm sure Hoya is not someone like that..."

"Someone like what?" he asked, cynically. "Do you even know him, Jaekyung? Do you know what he does for living? Do you know what he made my sister do?"

Jaekyung was stupefied by the hatred in his voice. "I..."

"That's right. You don't." His tone shut and she found herself unable to utter a single word. "He used her. He manipulated Hwayoung for his own benefit. Then he made her sold out her family. Her only family..." he ended his sentence with an air of disbelieved.

"Hoya did what...?"

"You heard me, Jaekyung. I'm not lying..."

She was unsure, confused, not knowing what else to believe. She didn't even know what Woohyun was talking about. "How... What make you say that?"

"It didn't take me long to connect things, Jaekyung. I heard her talking on the phone with him. And she herself confessed to me that she was selling us all out. And I know she has been meeting up with him for quite a number of times. And I know just what he put inside her head to make her agree to send my father and me to prison. That son-of-a-!" he slammed his hand on the steering wheels, making the car lost control for a second; earning angry honks from passing vehicles. Jaekyung sat panting, scared, and began looking at the door, eyeing the lock. "I knew there was something about that guy... He played his role well... That bastard... I thought I would play around a little first - let him a make himself a hole so that in the end I could bury him up. I was stupid, I know. But he was stupid to think that I didn't know... But he used Hwayoung... He used her..."

"Woohyun-ah, please... I don't understand," she said, getting frightened seeing him muttering endlessly under his breath. "Sell out? Prison? What...? Are we... going to see Hoya then?"

"Oh, yeah, we're going to see him. You would love that, wouldn't you?" he said, smiling with his eyes widened. "I heard about what you said to him. I heard that you like him. I heard that he wouldn't tell you his real identity."

"Woohyun-ah, you're scaring me."

"Am I?" he laughed without sound. "I heard about how he warned you to stay away from me."

"Stop it, Woohyun."

"Stop what? Stop talking about Hoya? Stop talking about your conversation with him?"

"Just, stop everything!" she shouted. "I don't know what you're planning to do, but I know it's not a good thing. I don't know what Hoya did or whether what you're saying is true, but I think you should stop whatever it is that you're planning."

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter