iii.

Unsung Song Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Didn't get enough sleep?" A man asked loudly, slapping Hoya's back once he entered the room. Hoya shot him a glare and sat down on the couch, shutting his eyes with his face facing up the ceiling. "Were you perhaps with a woman?" He chuckled, and the other men in the room laughed along.

"Female ghost..." He muttered, overheard by everyone. He took a deep breath and opened his eyes again, studying the men who were sitting around the table. "Am I on today, Jin?"

"Depends." Jin said, grinning at him. Hoya stood up and looked down on the paper they were looking at, and his eyebrows rose up, with his face still straight. "20 packets to Mr. Moon near Hongdae?" He pronounced, a bit loud.

"Keep it down will you?" He said, though his face was still bright, Hoya could sense a streak of threat in his tone. He apologized and kept his head down on the paper while the others were discussing matters. The man looked around the table, "What do you think? Trustworthy?"

"They wouldn't dare to mess with us, would they?  I mean, you know that Boss only deals with real business." The other man with crop haircut spoke, his eyes scanning everyone at the table. "I think it's safe."

"Yeah, but the amount bothers me." The man said, cupping his chin. "Something is bugging me."

"Should we not go on then?"

"But this is a direct order from the Boss."

Everyone became quiet at once, with their eyes on the paper. Hoya was unmoving from his stance, with his hands in his pockets, twirling something between his fingers.

"I don't think Hoya will be able to handle it." Hoya looked up the man who was not looking at him, but at Jin who looked thoughtful. "He's never delivered this much."

"I can do it." Hoya said, hastily, looking at everyone.

"It's true that Hoya has never delivered this amount... but he raises the least suspicions compared to the rest of us." Jin said, tapping his fingers on the table, and everyone was quiet, making the sound rang loudly in Hoya's ears. "Do you really think you are able to do it, Hoya?"

"Yes." He said, firmly and Jin broke into a loud laugh, slamming his hand on the table. "The Boss was right about you. You know how much you will get from this, huh? You son-of-a-." He shook his head and chuckled. "Well, it's yours."

Hoya smirked.

 

 

Hoya skidded along the streets of Hongdae, carrying a bag pack casually. At a glance, he looked just like the hundreds of students walking by and past him, with their lively chatters and laughter. Though upon seeing him up close, one could almost sense the tense he was radiating from his stare. Hoya looked around the countless shops around him, at girls squealing to some shoes outside some stores and at boys who were checking them out. None of those concerned him but he was looking around for more keen eyes; to see if he was being watched.

 

He walked casually up to a building at the end of the street, and taking a glance nowhere but up, he climbed down the stairs. Once he found a door, he confirmed the address, and feeling his heart was going a bit fast, he knocked. At the third knock, someone unlocked the door but the person didn't bother to open it for him. Hoya looked down on the doorknob, calculating his moves in case something goes wrong. With a firm grip, he turned the knob and pushed the door open a bit, trying to scan the insides of the room as much as he could.

"Do come in." A voice said casually, and Hoya pushed the door open, his eyes immediately scanning the place. There was no one in his sight, but he could hear the sound of water from one corner of the room. It was an underground studio, though by the look of it, the equipment wasn't used much. Hoya's eyes were on the white Passive 4-string BB Bass placed on a bass stand when a young man appeared in the room. He gave a warm smile, strangely reminding Hoya of someone but he couldn't be sure. He watched the man walking up to a desk and started to look for something. "You're a bit late."

Hoya said nothing but he stole a glance at the clock on the wall that read 4.20. He then looked at his watch on his wrist which showed it was 10 minutes earlier than the clock. "My watch says 4.10."

"Oh?" The man looked up to him and raised his eyebrows and looked at the clock. "Must be her doing again." He sighed and leaned against the desk, and he was looking at Hoya squarely in his eyes. Hoya was of course unrelenting as he studies the man before him, who didn't look any much older than he was. "Got the stuff?"

"Yes."

"Well, you do know that the money will be given later, right?"

"Yes."

"Well, you can leave the bag here and go. Thank you, oh?" The man said. Hoya put on a pair of gloves before he touched the bag's straps and put down the bag.

"Why do you need so much?"

The man turned to him, and looked at him strangely. "I thought it was a rule to not ask the customer what they are going to do with the stuff they buy." Hoya said nothing but he went on looking at him, until the man broke into a small smile. "Just a bunch of people having fun."

"Fun." Hoya pronounced, as if the word tasted disgusting on his tongue.

"Yes, fun." He said, leaning forward to smile at Hoya whose face looked tighter. "Do you walk around having that tight face on you? The police are going to sniff you soon if you're not careful though... You don't look like you're someone who takes the stuff. I wonder why you're working so hard. Is it for the money? Does it worth the money, given the risk you have to carry behind you every day?"

"Mind your business." Hoya hissed.

"Mind yours first."

Hoya's lips twitched to form a sinister smile, making the other man smiled even wider. He turned away and walked to the door, opened it and left the place. The man went on smiling at the closed door, before his eyes darted off to the clock on the wall and sighed loudly "You just made me embarrassed, you know that, Hwayoung?"

 

Jaekyung was sitting on the stool before the keyboard, but she wasn't even touching the keys. Instead, she was only looking down on them, not actually thinking of anything. She had arrived home early that evening, and she thought that it was perhaps too early to play the keyboard. She got up from the stool and peered out to Hoya's balcony to see if the door was opened. When she saw that it wasn't, she sighed and walked back in but as soon as she wanted to, the door was opened and Hoya appeared before she managed to fully gets inside.

Hoya immediately noticed her and he frowned a bit, remembering about the female ghost but there was no way that he was going to admit being shaken by her story. Jaekyung offered him a nervous smile which he didn't return, so she pouted slightly, stepping into the balcony again.

"Hello." She said, and as the sun was still in the sky, she saw how his haircut was rather fancy, with the sides shaved and it dyed a lighter shade. She raised her eyebrows, registering his look which seemed to emit some dangerous feeling, and her eyes went up to the ceiling of the balcony.

"Hello." He replied. "Aren't you playing the piano today?" He asked, as if demanding for her to play. Jaekyung was left baffled at the question for a moment, and she stared at him. "You're staring at me."

"First of all, it's not a piano. It's only a keyboard."

"The sound doesn't differ."

"Yes it does." She furrowed.

"Doesn't matter to me." He shrugged.

"Second, we've just known each other and you're calling me 'you'."

"What should I call you then?"

"I don't know. My name?" She said, feeling a bit hesitating herself.

"Which I do not know."

"I will tell you my name if you tell me yours." She said, looking determined.

"Why would you want to know my name?" He said, leaning and putting his arms on the rail, no longer facing her. He was looking up the sky, his eyes squinting as the sky was rather bright.

"To address you."

"I don't mind you calling me 'you'." He shrugged again.

Jaekyung's mouth fell open, and she was only staring at him again but he wasn't paying any attention. "A man should tell his name first."

"But it's only polite if you tell me yours first." He said, turning his face to her, his face was still straight.

"I will call you whatever if you refuse to tell your name." She said, threatening him.

"Then call me whatever." He said, dreamily. "It doesn't really matter anyway. A name is just... a name."

Jaekyung fell silent and her frowns disappeared as she went on staring at him. There were something in his tone, in his voice and the looks in his eyes that made her felt lonely when she heard him saying those lines. "But a name distinguishes you from the others."

"What about namesakes then?"

"Well... Those are..." She looked down on the tiled floor of the balcony for a few seconds and when she looked up, Hoya had turned his body to her again and his face looked a bit apologetic but she couldn't be sure of why. "Even when you have the same name, you're not the same individual, of course. But a name carries meanings and even when you forget someone's face, the person's name will remain longer."

Hoya was only watching her, whose face had turned a bit distraught. "

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter