iv.

Unsung Song Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jaekyung stood frozen before the man whose eyes were looking so solemn for a split second before they became sharp again. He looked restless then, and with his eyes closed, he broke into a sinister laugh. Jaekyung was confused, as she kept on blinking and blinking, watching the man shaking his head, as if he had seen or heard something so funny.

"Ahh... I got you there, didn't I?" He chuckled. "You should look at your face."

Jaekyung took a few seconds before she realised what was happening and with her face flushing a little, she opened . "That is not funny..."

"What is not funny?" He asked, still laughing.

"You should not make fun of things like that..."

"Why are you so serious about it?"

"Because!" She began, fuming in anger. "You seemed like you really... Wanted me to... not forget you."

Hoya's face hardened a little. "I was just joking. You're not good at jokes, are you?"

"It's not something to joke about." She snapped, breathing shallowly. "You're not good at being honest, are you?"

With that Hoya spurned his heels with his face still tight and entered his house after slamming the balcony door with too much force that it shook. Jaekyung was only standing there, staring at the closed glass door, and with so much contempt, she went inside and slammed her door as well.

 

She felt rather energetic for the next few days, after being angry pretty much the whole night before that. She hadn't met her neighbour after that night, and was rather glad for it as she thought she would just shout at him if she were to see him. Strangely, he ticked her off so much that she vented her anger to her students though it wasn't really an appropriate thing to do. She even went to the extent to teach the class she was relieving, much to the students' annoyance but she made sure they were listening to her by throwing questions every now and then. When it was almost lunch time, her phone rang and she was hesitating to answer it because it wasn't a familiar number. Nevertheless, she picked up the call and almost choked when she heard his voice.

"Park Jaekyung?"

"Nam Woohyun." She said, more like stating it.

"Am I disturbing you or anything?"

"Ah? No. No." She shook her head rather frantically, totally falling for his deep voice that sounded just slightly different over the phone. "Is there anything?"

"Are you free for lunch? There's something I would like to discuss with you about..." He explained, somehow he was sounding a bit reluctant and shy, and it made her heart went a bit crazy.

"Now?"

"Um, yes." He said, puffing.

"But it's a bit too sudden..."

"Actually I am standing outside of your school."

"Eh?" Jaekyung's eyes went wide as she stood up and almost stumbled when she walked over to the mirror and scanned the gate area. There he was, pacing up and down before the gate, scratching his head. "I don't remember telling you I work at this school."

"I had my sources." He chuckled.

"Ha." She said, amused. "Give me 5." She said, and hung up, and sprinted to the washroom to take a look of herself. She wasn't wearing her best blouse for the day, but she guessed she looked rather nice in her dark blue blouse and black leggings under her skirt. She was a bit worried that she might look too much of a teacher but she didn't have time to think too much about it. She frantically fixed her hair, leaned closely to the mirror to see if she had any smeared eyeliner or mascara, and to see if there was any hair sticking out of her nose or any strange strand of hair on her head. When she was satisfied with her look, she took a deep breath and walked out of the building. She tried not to look excited but when Woohyun put up a hand and said hi, her voice came out like a little shriek. Woohyun tried hard not to laugh but she was already flushing as she kept on clearing .

"I shouted a lot today." She tried to explain, with a serious look but Woohyun was already smiling so widely, gesturing for her to get into his car, which was a really expensive one, she mused. She got in gingerly, sat with her back straight and put on her seatbelt, watching Woohyun fixing his as well.

"You look lovely." He said, casually. "Why weren't my teachers as pretty as you are?" He asked, tilting his head. Jaekyung flustered at his words, shifting in her seat uncomfortably as he was driving.

"Is that a compliment?"

"Of course." He said, laughing a bit. "What else you think it is?"

"Probably you're just making fun of me." She stated, narrowing her eyes at him, staring at his side profile. His hair was a bit long on the sides but he looked good nevertheless.

"Why should I? You know I am always true with my words." He said, breaking a wide smile when he turned to her and looked at her meaningfully.

"You made fun of me once when we were in uni. You said I was too short to teach and that no one can tell who the teacher is." She said, pouting a bit.

"Ah... That." He laughed. "Park Jaekyung, you're not good at jokes, are you?"

Jaekyung stopped pouting and stared at this side profile again, and her gaze then dropped to her lap. "That's funny. Someone said the same thing to me a few nights ago."

"Your boyfriend?"

"No way!" She retorted, a bit too loud that Woohyun raised his eyebrows. "He's just my neighbour." She added, with a little contempt. "Flower boy next door." She added sinisterly, under her breath.

"Your neighbour must be an interesting man." He said, smiling to himself.

"What's with this sudden invitation for lunch? I don't remember being that friendly with you at uni." She said, testing him. He chuckled and tilted his head sideways.

"Sharp as always, aren't you, Park-seon-saeng-nim? Well, I will explain over lunch." He said nothing more so Jaekyung was quiet, staring out of the car. The smell of leather filled up her nose, along with his cologne that smelt good, somehow intoxicating. Jaekyung sat up straight, scolding herself and shook her head. "Something wrong?"

"Is this a new car? It smells new." She said, though at that instant, she wanted to just throw herself out of the car.

"I don't really use it." He explained, and stopped his car by the side of the road. Jaekyung went out after him, and followed him into the cafe, not saying another word. They sat at a table and Woohyun glanced at his watch and looked around.

"Are you expecting someone?"

"Actually yes, but she's running late." He said, smiling apologetically and he craned his neck suddenly, waving at someone behind her. Jaekyung wanted to turn her head but before she could, a school girl appeared next to her, looking bored. Her eyes looked like she had just woken up from sleep though that wasn't case and her hair was lightly coloured, tied up behind her in a loose bun. When she blinked, her fringe is tickled along and Jaekyung marvelled at her rosy cheeks when she smiled. "You're late."

"The teacher wouldn't let me go." She explained, taking a seat next to Woohyun, facing the empty seat. At a glance, she looked rather too old to be a high school girl but it was probably due to the makeup she was having on her face, Jaekyung thought, as she was studying the girl.

"This is my little sister." He said, curtly. "Nam Hwayoung."

"Hello." She bowed, with a flat smile on her face.

"Your sister?" Jaekyung asked, blinking and blinking endlessly. "Hello. I'm Park Jaekyung..."

"Nam Hwayoung." She replied, nodding curlty. "Do we have to do this?" Hwayoung asked her brother, with a slight pout.

"Yes." Woohyun said, firmly and directed his gaze back to Jaekyung. "As you can see, my little sister is still in high school and I looking for someone to tutor her for her university entrance examination."

"Uh-huh..." Jaekyung nodded slowly, trying to guess what he was going to say next.

"And I thought of you, since you're a teacher and your English is good, and you'll certainly make a good tutor."

"You're offering me a job?"

"You can say that."

"As a tutor."

"Yes."

Jaekyung set herself in a professional mode though her heart had sank a bit. "I haven't done much tutoring."

"Just teach her as you do at school."

"Is she willing to learn?"

Woohyun and Hwayoung exchanged looks and then they both stared back at her. "She is." "Oppa!"

Jaekyung broke into a small laugh and scratched her cheek. "I have to think about it..."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter