Chapter 2

Her Rapturous Sun

 

Chapter 2

 

Baekhyun was staying at Daehyun’s apartment for the time being since he was waiting for Eunji to finish work. He lay on his couch and played with Kekemato, carrying him up and down. Daehyun was trying to finish his thesis with piles of books towering in front of him. He was stressed about his deadline and still failed to think of what to write. There was a natural silence echoing the room.

“Say Daehyun, what would you do if I left this world before you?” Baekhyun suddenly asked.

“I would kill myself.” Daehyun replied.

Baekhyun, who was annoyed by his answer, threw a pillow at him. “I’m serious.” He said. “What would happen to Eunji if you died?”

“Then don’t die.” Daehyun blatantly said.

“We don’t know God’s wishes.”

“Whatever..” Daehyun shrugged.

“But even so, I want you to take care of her.”

“Why would I do that?” he asked, sounding annoyed.

“Because I know you love her more than anyone.”

 

 

 

Days later, Daehyun accompanied Eunji to the Circle Group. He wondered why Eunji was into these things. Circle groups were for people who needed someone to share their experiences with. She had Baekhyun to do that, why did she need to hear other people’s experiences and listen to theirs? What’s so special about other people’s experiences?

They arrived at a small shop where a few people gathered together and sat. They formed a circle facing each other and each looked different from the other. There was one ahjumma who looked anxious, one ahjussi looked furious, one looked like he didn’t trust anyone. A number of peculiar people were gathered. Daehyun and Eunji sat together next to a nice-looking ahjumma. She didn’t look like she had any problems, she was probably there to just listen. They waited for the moderator to come and when he finally did, everyone payed attention.

“Good morning everyone.” The man greeted.

The moderator looked young, probably in his mid- twenties. He tried to look as optimistic as possible amidst the depressing atmosphere.

“My name is Lee Byunghun. I shall be your moderator for today. I would like to say that I find you people very strong to actually share your problems and traumatizing experiences here today.”

He started talking about the things he experienced and about being able to get past it and move on with his life. He shared inspirational words of wisdom with his audience which made the people grow fond of him.

Daehyun studied the man intently and wondered why people looked entranced with the way he spoke. He tried making his situation sound lighter than it really was. Heck, it was probably lighter compared to what the others have been through.

When he finally finished, they started with their sharings. There were people who were victims of abuse, others were victims of bullying, the others had drug problems and others were battered wives. When it came to the normal-looking ahjumma, she said she was also a battered wife. She talked about her experiences with her husband and how she wanted to escape. It was hard and one wrong move made her husband abuse her emotionally and physically. She looked teary but tried to hold it in as much as she could.

Then, it was Eunji’s turn.

“Hi, my name is Jung Eunji.” She started. “I was a victim of bullying and abuse.”

She started talking about her hellish life as a teenager and as a child. When her mother left, her father hated seeing her face and tried to break as much as he could so that the painful memories of her mother would disapppear. Her father hated the fact that Eunji was there and her mother wasn't. And what was worse, he wasn't even her real father. He was her stepdad.  Whenever she came to school, she heard whispers about her, other people would call her a e and was probably a masochistic call girl. She cried upon telling her story. Her things would be scattered everyday and her locker would be filled with trashes. Daehyun could see people weeping with her as they listened. The people that understood her. The people who experienced the same thing.

“Then I met my friend Daehyun,” she turned to Daehyun, “ and my boyfriend Baekhyun. They helped me get back on my feet and made me realize that life isn’t so bad…they brought me back to the light.”

Daehyun smiled at Eunji. He was proud of his friend. He knew that her experience was worse than his, yet she was stronger than him. She pulled through till the end and never held on to the past. He admired her courage. The courage he wished he had.

 

 

After Daehyun accompanied Eunji, he walked her back to her flower shop; bid her goodbye and sat on the same bench where he met the woman named Hyosung. He studied his surroundings and looked blankly at the scenery.

“Hey again!” he turned to see Hyosung, smiling brightly at him.

“Hey” he smiled.

 

Eunji was preparing the orders she had piling on her table. As a child, she had always loved flowers and right now, she was happy being with the things she loved the most. Flowers, for her, was a symbol of hope. At first, she really hated them. She hated them for being so beautiful amidst the dark world she was in. She hated them for living and making people smile. She hated them for being a symbol of joy and not even once, did they ever cheer her up. She hated them.

But gradually, she overcame her hatred and started to love them.

Baekhyun gave her flowers everyday.

He used to say that each flower had its own meaning, that not all of them meant joy.

She was curious about this and started searching for the meanings of each.

As time went by, she grew more and more interested and decided to work at the flowershop her grandmother owned. She began learning how to arrange flowers and appreciate it as well.

As she was about to place a vase full of calla lilies for display, she paused as she saw a familiar face and name flashing on the television. It was reporting about a bus that just crashed, leaving no survivors.

The vase fell, crashing and breaking down on the floor.

Her world shattered.

She went numb.

“Baekhyun..” was all she said.