Chapter 3

Her Rapturous Sun

 

Chapter 3

 

Daehyun could hear Eunji cry from the other side of the line. “What’s wrong?” he asked for the fourth time.

He grew nervous at the sound of her vigorous crying.

“I’ll be right there.” He finally said.

Hyosung looked at him with concern and said, “Was that your girlfriend?” she asked.

“No, a friend. I don’t know what happened to her. I’m sorry noona, let’s talk more some other time ok?” he said.

He was about to walk away when suddenly, Hyosung grabbed him by the arm and stopped him. “Wait,” she gave him a piece of paper and held his hand gently, smiling at him who was looking as nervous as hell. “Everything’s going to be ok, Daehyun. Be strong alright.”

He tried to muster up a smile. “Thank you noona.” He said then left.

 

 

Daehyun arrived at the flower shop seeing Eunji curled up in her grandmother’s embrace. He approached Eunji and tried to wipe the tears off her face. “What’s wrong, Eunji?” Daehyun asked.

“Baekhyun…” she said.

Daehyun looked at her grandmother who had a somber expression on her face.

“What happened?” he asked, steadily growing numb.

“Its Baekhyun..” her grandmother said.

She told him everything and as Daehyun listened, his mother’s accident flashed in his head. The feeling of loss and depression sunk in and he felt like he was about to grow crazy. He felt like he was going to tear everything apart. He was about to explode but then, Eunji held his arm.

She was also feeling the same way. She was feeling the same loss. Eunji’s grandmother knew that both of them needed to be alone together. She knew that only they could calm each other down. It was the both of them that understood the hurt and pain.

As Eunji hugged Daehyun, Daehyun burst out in tears as well, trying to fathom the idea of losing his best friend who was like a brother to him. 

The person who was also dear to Eunji. He didn't want to believe it. He couldn't accept it. 

Why? Why did it have to be this way?

 

Daehyun wandered aimlessly in the streets like he usually does.

He would search for thugs like him and beat them up with no reason in mind. He didn’t know why he was angry all the time, he knew he just was.

Every night he would beat up people like he didn’t care. He felt merciless and heartless. He never cared about people nor did he ever care about what they thought about him.

There was no future for him so why bother make one now?

“Daehyun?”

He turned to see who had called him.

“What do you want?” he scowled.

“I’ve been looking all over for you.” He said. “Its been a while. I was actually trying to contact you. I just arrived from America, why didn’t you answer my e-mails?”

“Leave me alone, Baekhyun.” Daehyun told him.

“What about our friendship?” he asked.

“That died a long time ago…… along with the humanity I have left.” Daehyun answered.

“I don’t believe that.” Baekhyun smiled.

His smile was as warm as he could remember but he was from the light. The place he used to be in. The place he could never go back to. Baekhyun was like a brother to him. Before, he was Baekhyun’s other half and vice versa. They were invincible and whatever he felt was what Daehyun felt as well. They were closer than twins but Daehyun blocked the connection off when his mother died.When his mother died, nothing else mattered. His father’s expectations grew higher and he grew more rebellious. He hated hearing his sighs of disappointment. He hated his looks of failure. He hated him.

As days passed, Baekhyun tried his best to dig his way back into Daehyun’s life.He tried his best to be closer to his friend once more. Even if Daehyun drove him away, he was still persistent.

“Why do you want to be so close to me?” Daehyun said one day. “Look at me! I’m not the Daehyun you once knew! That person is dead! He’s dead! Don’t you get it?”

“Nah,” he shrugged with a smile. “I believe he’s just sleeping, like he always does.”

“I’m not-“

“You’re still my Daehyun. The Daehyun I grew up with. My best friend.”

And for some reason, those words brought a small part of him back. As time passed, his missing pieces gradually came back. It was a slow process but Baekhyun was patient, Baekhyun was understanding. He was always there. 

He was grateful for that.

He was grateful for him.

Baekhyun was his blessing.

He was the sun.