Chapter 1

Her Rapturous Sun

 

Chapter 1

It had always been the three of us. Baekhyun, Eunji and Daehyun. The three of us, and Baekhyun was the center. The sun which we revolve in.

He was the one who brought us together.

He was the one who brought us back.

He was the light that brightly glimmered upon our dark existence.

Byun Baekhyun.

 

 Daehyun was feeding his pet rabbit Kekemato on a warm sunny day. His report paper was scattered all over the floor due to the fact it was again rejected by his professor. Kekemato meekly nibbled on the carrot Daehyun gave him. The owner watched his rabbit intently as it slowly devoured the carrot.

“Good boy.” He ruffled his pet’s fur.

The door bell rang in his apartment. He walked towards the door and asked who it was.

“Its me!” an annoying female voice said.

“This apartment does not welcome violent pandas.”

“Go to hell Jung Daehyun!”

“Hey Dae, I’m with her.” He heard Baekhyun’s familiar voice.

He immediately opened the door and let them in. Eunji walked passed him and immediately lay on his sofa.

“Yah! Who said you could lie down, anytime to want?” Daehyun said in annoyance.

“Sheesh Gayhyun, can’t you at least treat a lady with respect?” Eunji spatted.

“I will when I see one.” Daehyun smirked.

“Why you-“ she was about to charge after him when Baekhyun pulled her back.

He flashed his nervous smile and held on to Eunji tightly so as not to start a fight between the two. “Now now, Eunji, you promised me that if I’d give you ice cream you wouldn’t bicker with Daehyun.” Baekhyun scolded her.

“He started it! Gayhyun never listens to me. He’s the one who’s always mean to me.” She stuck out her tongue at Daehyun.

“You’re such a kid.” Daehyun shrugged.

“I’m not the one with the messy room.” Eunji mocked.

“I’m the one who’s writing a report on something my teacher always rejects.” Daehyun told her.

Eunji ignored him and switched her attention to Kekemato. “Hey Keke, how are you? Have you been well? You want me to take you home instead?” She caressed the rabbits fur gently and cradled it in her arms.

“He’s mine.” Daehyun said possesively.

“Take Baekhyun instead, I’ll take Kekemato.” Eunji smiled.

“You’re trading me for a rabbit?” Baekhyun dramatically cried.

Daehyun hugged Baekhyun from the back and snuggled him close. “I’ll do that anytime.” He smiled.

“GET AWAY FROM ME GAYHYUN!” Baekhyun yelled and tried to break free from his grasp.

“You don’t love me anymore?” Daehyun dramatically cried crocodile tears.

“Oh shut up.”

 

Daehyun and Eunji were in the kitchen while Baekhyun was in the living room cleaning up the mess. Daehyun’s friends came every weekend to check on him and see if he was ok. He didn’t want to bother them but it somehow comforted him, due to the fact that their presence warmed his home.

Eunji was helping him with his dirty dishes. “Aigooo…. Why can’t you clean up by yourself? Sheesh, and you call me the kid.” She was the one washing them with water and soap while he dried them all in a clean towel.

“Sorry for being a guy.” Daehyun scoffed.

“Say Daehyun, are you free this Friday?” Eunji asked.

“Why?”

“I’m going to this circle group and well, I was hoping that you would well….”

“Why don’t you ask Baekhyun?” Daehyun said.

“I think its more comforting if you’re with me. I don’t want to burden Baekhyun and besides you understand me the most anyways……” she said.

“This’ll make him really upset.”

“He’s going to a convention on that day, he’s entering a competition so he can’t go even if I ask him to.”

Daehyun sighed. “Ok.”

 

 

Daehyun was really the only one who could understand Eunji. As much as she loved Baekhyun, Daehyun was the friend that could understand her shattered past. Baekhyun was her light and support. The one she could hold on to and move on with. Daehyun was her guide in the darkness. The one whom she could turn to in order to face her dark reality. Two different people, but she chose to cling onto Baekhyun the most. He was the one who made her feel more alive than she actually was. The one who made her who she felt she needed to be. The one who pulled her out from her hell of a life. She treasured Baekhyun the most.

Eunji leaned her head on Baekhyun’s shoulder and closed her eyes. They were still in Daehyun’s apartment and the owner was out in the convenience store buying food for supper. They had the apartment all to themselves. Daehyun’s room was clean thanks to Baekhyun and Kekemato was soundly sleeping in his basket.

“Hey Baekhyun, promise me you’ll always stay with me forever.” She said.

“Of course I will, I always do, don’t I?” Baekhyun told her.

“Don’t leave me ok?” Eunji whispered.

“I won’t.” Baekhyun told her.

“I’m counting on it.”

He lied.

 

After Daehyun bought all he needed at the convenient store, he decided to sit on a bench for a while and give Baekhyun and Eunji some time together. He knew that both of them didn’t have that much time together this week since Baekhyun was busy with his school project.

He closed his eyes and pondered on the little things that made the day, not really perfect, but just right. He found it weird how he didn’t appreciate these things before. He breathed in the warm summer air and smiled in contentment.

“Can I sit here?” he opened his eyes and turned towards the person who asked him.

“Sure.” He nodded.

The woman who sat beside him looked pretty and her gummy smile radiated the air. She was probably years older than he was but she wasn’t too old. She looked really mature and calm-looking at the same time.

“It’s a beautiful day, isn’t it?” she asked him.

“Yeah, it is.” He replied back.

“Five centimeters per second.” She spouted.

“What?”

“Five centimeters per second is the amount of time a cherry blossom falls. Neat huh?”

“You must be very smart noona.” Daehyun told her.

“Nah, I just read that somewhere. Say, this is just random but, why do caterpillars change into butterflies?” she asked.

“Because some insects are narcissistic and they want to turn beautiful somehow, that’s why they turn beautiful.” He replied.

“Peculiar answer.” The woman told her.

“It comes from a peculiar man.”

The woman snorted. “Really?” Her smile looked bright as day. She extended her hand for a shake and said, “The name’s Jeon Hyosung. Nice to meet you!”

“Jung Daehyun.” He replied.

“Daehyun-ah then. That’s great, I actually made a friend today. I should check that off my bucket list.” She stood up and stretched her arms wide.

Daehyun looked at her curiously and wondered why someone like her had a bucket list. Usually bucket lists were for people who were about to die. Did she have some kind of condition?

He brushed off the idea away and decided to head back.

“I should be going, my friends are probably looking for me.” He said.

“Alright, it was nice meeting you Daehyun. I hope to see you soon.” Her smile not fading.

Daehyun decided to smile back, only to think of it as proper. “Same here Hyosung noona.”