Abused

HYUNSAENG SHORT SHORT STORIES ♥♡♥♡

Youngsaeng and I have been friends ever since elementary school when he first came from the country side. Jungmin was the one who introduced us and after that, our relationship built up, soon becoming close friends. We walked to school together, since our houses were very near, and we also ate lunch together, usually with our friends, then would walk home together. In class, if we were asked to choose a partner, he and I would naturally be together unless the teacher was choosing for us.

But every since highschool began, Youngsaeng became more and more distant from me, Jungmin, Kyujong, and Hyungjun. We were the five that always hung around with each other during breaks or lunch or after school but Youngsaeng gradually stopped eating lunch with us and rarely ever talked to me even. When I wanted to be his partner for a project, he always already had someone else he was partners with.

Not only did I notice that Youngsaeng was becoming farther away from us, he also never wore short sleeves anymore. In the summer, he would usually wear a simple black tank top with a shorts and a sweater tied around his waist but now, he always wore long sleeves no matter where he went. He wouldn't hang out with us anymore after school and not to mention, he rarely even came to school. He became known as the "sick boy" in our school because he was always absent due to illness.

I always felt quite disheartened because he never seemed to realize my feelings for him. I had real, pure feelings and suddenly, he grew apart from me, as if avoiding me.

"Heo Youngsaeng," the teacher exclaimed from the front of the room for roll call.

I looked over at Youngsaeng's desk. It was empty. That was expected as he had been like this since the very beginning. His father always called in saying that Youngsaeng was sick but before, he was just fine. How could his body become weak so fast?

"Kim Hyunjoong!" the homeroom teacher called after a bunch of other names.

"Here!" I said loudly back as I stood up and sat back down again.

I felt lonely without Youngsaeng. He used to be my best friend, even though it was quite awkward between us, we still talked about our dreams and revealed our secrets to each other.

A few days before, I had visited Youngsaeng at his house but his father opened the door with a cigarette saying that Youngsaeng wasn't home. That day was also a day when Youngsaeng didn't attend school and I found it strange.

"Kim Hyunjoong, you know where Youngsaeng lives, right?" the teacher asked me. I stood up and nodded. "Neh."

She had a bag in her hands and beckoned me to the front of the classroom, handing me the bag. I peeked to see that it was full of papers. "Here's the homework he has missed throughout the week. Please bring it to him. You're one of the top students so it'll also be helpful if you could explain a few things to him on the homework."

I looked at her curiously. "Now?"

The teacher nodded. "Yes. Now go."

Bowing in farewell, I left the room and started down the hall, my mind taken over by thoughts on if Youngsaeng would agree to see me. Ever since I had noticed Youngsaeng acting strangely, I had visited his house multiple times but to my surprise, it was always his father answering the door, saying that either Youngsaeng wasn't home, was busy, or was too sick for visitors.

It didn't take long for me to get to Youngsaeng's house. Glancing around at the familiar yard, I took a deep breath and creaked open the front yard door, approaching the main door.

As I rung the door bell, I heard a shout and someone running heavily down the stairs. That sound was also familiar and I already knew who it was that was going to open it due to experience. As expected, it was Youngsaeng's father but this time, his upper body was and his jeans seemed roughtly put on without a belt.

"What are you doing here?" asked the man, lighting a cigarette. "Shouldn't you be in school?"

Smiling awkwardly, I bowed politely before holding up the bag for him to see. "The teacher told me to pass the work Youngsaeng missed to him."

The man grabbed it from me and nodded. "Thank you then. You can go back to school now."

Without hesitation, I quickly stopped him from closing the door with my hand. "Also, she requested me to stay and explain a few things to him. There are complicating questions he may not understand."

The older man grunted hoarsely and glared at me. "You think my capabilities of explaining aren't enough? Go back to school, kid. Anyways, Youngsaeng isn't home right now."

My eyebrows furrowed in puzzlement. "Eh? Why?"

"Said he was too sick and got sent to the hospital."

I nodded and bowed. "Ah, alright. I'll take my leave now. Thank you." I turned and walked down the steps, still in reluctance to leave. Was Youngsaeng really that sick? So sick that he needed to go to the hospital?

I arrived at the metal gate and right when I was about to close it, I heard a crash and a scream from inside the house. My eyes widened when I recognized the owner of the scream, Youngsaeng. His father lied about him not being home. Panicked, I rushed back to the door and turned the knob but it was locked.

"Youngsaeng! Open the door! Let me in!" I shouted, banging on the door as I tried to open it. Without thought, I frantically whipped my head around in search for a sharp object. From the corner of my eye, I spotted a silver bobby pin beside my foot. I scooped it up and stuck it into the keyhole. Finally, I broke in and burst open the door, proceeding upstairs to where the scream had come from. The house was incredibly familiar to me except for the heavy scent of second hand smoke now filling the house.

I recognized Youngsaeng's room and stopped in front of it, hesitating on opening it. When I heard another shout, all my hesitation disappeared flowed out of me like water; immediately, I opened the door and stepped in, freezing when I saw that Youngsaeng was lying on the bed , the side of his head bleeding while his father was holding a broken glass jar, panting. On the sharp edges of the jar, I could spot blood.

"What are you doing?" I shrieked in anger. This was why Youngsaeng could never go to school? Because his dad would abuse him whenever he wanted to do?

"How dare you intrude into my house!" yelled the man, his face flushed with fury. "Get out!"

"Get away from him!" I screamed back at Youngsaeng's father as I hurried in and stood in front of Youngsaeng. "What are you doing to him?"

The man grit his teeth and held up the broken glass jar. I could tell that he was planning to hit me with it and closed my eyes, preparing for the pain but then I felt myself fall onto something soft, the pain not arriving. When I opened my eyes. I saw Youngsaeng covering me on the bed. His cheek was scraped by the sharp edges of the glass.

"Youngsaeng!" exclaimed I frantically as I grabbed his arm. That's when I noticed the multiple cuts and bruises lining his arms. That was why he never wore short sleeves anymore. It was so that nobody could see the multiple wounds he had. Even his back had scars, as if he had been whipped.

"You dare act back?" shouted his father at the boy. Youngsaeng cringed but didn't move as he was punched by his father and was sent crashing onto the ground.

"Keumanae!" I screamed and grabbed a clay flower pot from the side, smashing it down onto his head. Without another word, the man fell to the ground with a thud, unconscious from the heavy blow.

In a hurry, I rushed to Youngsaeng's side and shook him in panic. "Youngsaeng. Youngsaeng! Ireona!"

The latter seemed unconscious, his lips were puffy and I felt a boil of rage inside of me when I saw the many hickeys he had branded on his upper body. Biting my lower lip in frustration and guilt, I gathered him into my arms. "Let's bring you to the hospital."

I called the ambulance and waited downstairs on the couch with Youngsaeng in my arms, just in case his father suddenly woke up. I had slipped clothes onto the boy and ran my hand through his soft hair as I cupped his swollen cheek, wiping the blood off his lip with my thumb.

"Is this why you left us?" I asked quietly, although knowing the boy wasn't going to answer. "Because you didn't want us to know or worry about you? You should've told me, Saengie... I could've done something... If you had to suffer for so long..."

My heart ached while I felt a deep pit of sorrow and regret in my stomach. It was hard to see Youngsaeng in this state. He seemed to frail and weak, his skin paler than before. How could I had never noticed? The whole time, I thought he simply didn't like me anymore and didn't want to be my friend. But that wasn't the case at all. 

Finally, the ambulance came and carried Youngsaeng onto a stretcher. I went with him, sitting beside the boy as the ambulance drove off. I didn't know what had happened to his father but all I cared that moment was about Youngsaeng. I felt like crying from the pain my heart was going through, feeling sympathy and pity for Youngsaeng as I clutched tightly onto his small hand.

Cautiously, I stood up and bent down, gently pressing my lips against Youngsaeng's. I forgot about the world and closed my eyes, letting a tear drop. I quickly pulled away when I felt a light squeeze against my hand.

"Y-You're... awake...?" I murmured in surprise when I saw that Youngsaeng's eyes were open, looking up at me as tears welled up. He weakly brought his arms up and wrapped it around my neck, bringing me down to his shoulder. My eyes roundened when I heard sniffling and immediately wrapped my arms around him into a hug as he began to sob into my coat.

Right before we arrived at the hospital, Youngsaeng fell unconscious again and I set him back down gently onto the stretcher. I waited at the lobby while the doctors did multiple check ups on him in the operation room.

Finally, three hours later, a doctor came out to the lobby. I was incredibly worried, forgetting about the fact that my bag was still at school and that I pretty much skipped most of school for today. Quickly standing up when I spotted the doctor, hurriedly greeting him.

"Annyeonghaseyo," I said politely. "H-How is Youngsaeng? Is he okay? He's okay, right?"

The man seemed quite reluctant to tell me as he his lips, hands stuffed in his pockets of the long white coat. I suddenly felt uneasy. At first, I had been comforted by the fact that Youngsaeng hugged me that he was going to be fine but somehow, this tense atmosphere made my heart beat faster and cold sweat drip down. The doctor took a deep breath before speaking.

"Youngsaeng-ssi is still alive but... He is currently in a coma."

I froze and blinked at the doctor in disbelief. "E-eh?" I didn't hear right. That's it. I just didn't hear right. What did he just say?

"Youngsaeng-ssi is in a state of a coma. We do not know when he is going to wake up but it is probably because of the abuse he has been receiving from his father and the blow on the head damaged his skull. He has already had stitches done."

"No... But he can't be in a coma! He was crying on the ambulance! He couldn't have!" I protested as I shook my head. "There's no way..."

The doctor sighed. "I'm sorry..."

***

(9 months later)

I visited Youngsaeng after school at the hospital again, like usual. It had become my daily routine. Every day, I would buy a rose from the flower shop and replace the one from the day before. Youngsaeng was still in his coma, he didn't seem to be ever waking up.

"Youngsaengie..." I whispered after I had replaced the rose in the flower pot. My hand gently combed through the unconscious boy's hair and my other hand grasped onto his hand. "Wake up soon... please, do it for me... I'm sure you know my feelings now so don't leave, arasseo? Don't leave me..."

There was no response. I took a deep breath to keep my tears from overwhelming me and quickly wiped my eyes. It was hard. Every day coming here to see him like this was torture but if I didn't visit, my heart would feel at unease. I wanted to be the first one he saw when he woke up so I did my homework here at the hospital. Youngsaeng's father had been sentenced for five years in prison after the court found him guilty for ually harassing his son and abusing him. The house was abandoned as nobody lived there now. Youngsaeng's mother divorced with his father after finding out the truth, saying that Youngsaeng was to live with her once he was discharged, if he ever was. 

I brought a stool over and sat down beside the bed, still holding onto Youngsaeng's hand. Gently, I the boy's cheek lovingly, avoiding contact with the oxygen mask covering most of the latter's face.

"Saengie-ah... Everybody's worried about you..." I murmured softly. "Hyungjun, Kyujong, and Jungmin really miss you. We've been waiting for you to come back to us. I know the reason why you were avoiding us now. You don't have to stay away any longer. We understand."

I continued to mutter softly to Youngsaeng, only getting up when the nurse entered to check up on Youngsaeng. Soon enough, visitor hours were over but since I was a regular visitor, the doctors and nurses always let me stay.

"Saranghae..." I said as I pecked him on the forehead and closed my eyes, my head on the bed while my hand held tightly onto Youngsaeng's hand.

At the slightest twitch, I awoke and shot up from my seat, checking to see if Youngsaeng was awake. His hand had moved, that was for sure. It wasn't a dream. I knew it wasn't for I saw Youngsaeng stir and slowly, his eyes opened. Tears welled up in my eyes in relief as I smiled gently, choking back tears.

"You're awake..." I could only whisper. "Finally..."

There was not much of a reaction but he seemed to notice that I was holding onto his hand for he squeezed with all the strength he could muster and smiled weakly. That was all I needed.

"I love you..." I said again, tears running down my cheeks in relief. "I love you so much..."

The younger boy sighed and closed his eyes again, his hand going limp as he out again. I didn't know if he went back into a coma or if he had fallen asleep, but the next morning, it was for sure that his wake wasn't a dream for he woke up again. The nurses took the oxygen mask off and he opened his mouth, his cracked lips.

"H... Hyunjoong..." he managed hoarsely before given a glass of water to chug down. I helped him sit up since his arms were too frail to do it themselves. I smiled. "Are you alright now? It's been a long time, hasn't it?"

Youngsaeng looked around and stared at me, furrowing his eyebrows. "What...?"

"You were in a coma for around nine months," I explained to him and took his bony hand. "You're probably hungry, aren't you? The nurses are bringing you food."

Youngsaeng nodded and sighed. "It feels like a dream... Seeing the sunshine again and the green grass... Even you being by my side right now seems like a dream."

Hearing that, I stood up, bending down and tilting my head. "I'll prove that it's not a dream." Gently, I closed my eyes and pressed my lips against his lips.

Once I pulled away, he stared at me with round eyes. I simply smiled softly and sat back down, taking his cold hand into mine. "Are you awake now?"

A few moments later, he relaxed and smiled back with a nod. "Yeah, I am."

Carefully, I brought him into my arms and buried my nose into the crook of his neck, indulging myself in the scent I had missed for so long. "I'm so glad you woke up... It was so unexpected..."

Suddenly, the door slid open and the two looked up to see Youngsaeng's mother standing at the door, her hair messy and her coat dangling from her arms, looking as if she had rushed here upon hearing the good news. 

"Youngsaeng!" she exclaimed happily, her eyes teary when she saw that her son was finally awake. 

Hyunjoong pulled out of the hug and let the son and mother have a reunion together. The woman threw her arms around the frail boy, hugging him tightly. "I'm so glad... I was so frightened when I heard that you were in a coma. Aigoo... And you should've told me what your father was doing! Why did you stay silent when you were suffering so much?"

"Mianhae..." was the only thing Youngsaeng could say. I watched with a calm heart, finally, I could think clearly. But immediately, I paled when I heard what his mother announced. 

"You're coming with me to Gochang-gun. That's where we'll live together."

I saw him glance at me before turning to his mother. "But eomma... Why can't we just stay in Seoul? Why do we have to go so far?"

"I don't want you to be ever in danger of your father again."

"But I don't want to leave!" Youngsaeng began to panic. "Can't we just stay here? Please?"

"Why do want to stay in Seoul so badly? Wouldn't you rather go back to your hometown?"

"He can live with me," I cut in, unable to stay calm anymore. I didn't want Youngsaeng to leave me again after nine months. "He has precious friends here. He can stay with me."

"No, I really don't want to trouble you--"

"It's won't be any trouble," I interrupted again and walked over to them, taking Youngsaeng hand into mine as I stared in determination into his mother's eyes. "I really think of him as a treasured friend, too. None of us want him to leave. I'll take care of him, I promise and I won't let his father near him."

Youngsaeng's eyes roundened. "E-eh?" His mother was also shocked, I could tell. 

"You mean... But..." his mother looked over at her son. "Are you sure you don't want to come with me? Won't you miss your family?"

Youngsaeng didn't know what to say and bowed his head. His hand slipped from mine and fell back onto his lap. "I... I can still go visit, can't I?" He looked up nervously. "I don't need to start a new life... It's hard to make friends in the middle of the school year, too. Can I stay here? I'm sure Hyunjoong won't mind since he offered himself."

My heart skipped a beat in happiness and without hesitation, I hugged him with a wide grin on my face. "Yay~"

He immediately blushed, his cheeks burning as he gazed hopefully at his mother.

She sighed and chuckled. "Arasseo, just be safe, understand? I won't be here." She turned to me. "And take care of him well. I don't want him to get hurt again."

"Neh! You can count on me!"

"Eomma, your work hasn't been finished, right? You should go back," Youngsaeng remarked thoughtfully. "I'll be okay."

"Are you sure?"

"Neh, of course."

She smiled. "Arasseo. Take good care of him." She stepped forward and brought her son into a tight hug. "I'll bring you a delicious dinner, alright? Make sure to take care of yourself."

Youngsaeng nodded. "Neh, see you later."

After his mother left, I immediately pounced onto the latter, grinning and giggling childishly. "You're staying with me~ Hehe~ I love you, Saengie."

"That's the third time you've said that," the latter pointed out and pecked me on the cheek. I smirked as I wrapped my arms around his slender waist, bringing him close until our noses were almost touching. "Don't keep counting. It'll be endless."

With a soft smile, Youngsaeng closed the distance, connecting our lips gently. "I love you, too."