To the Next Destination

HYUNSAENG SHORT SHORT STORIES ♥♡♥♡

This was inspired by an anime called 07 Ghost :D It's actually very good. I recommend it :3


 

It was summer when Hyun Joong and I went on a trip. We still wore our school uniforms as we hopped onto the next train from Seoul. Hyun Joong was my first friend and we were like brothers, always attached by the hip. Other friends from our circle teased us being a couple due to the time we always spent together. 

Although that thought had crossed my mind, I was surprised at myself when I realized that I didn't mind if I got a boyfriend. As long as I was with Hyun Joong, I found calmness and peace in myself, no matter how dire a situation was. 

We rode the train all the way to the terminus station and quickly got off, not sure where exactly we were. But we didn't care. Today, we were alone together and we were free. 

When I was Hyun Joong, I found myself relaxing and forgetting about the fact that I was actually a reincarnation of God, that all my friends relied on me, that I held the whole world in the palm of my hands. All my troubles seemed so far away, out of reach, as if they were only dreams and illusions. 

Together, we ran down the streets in the warm afternoon, spending a few of our happiest hours together at this unknown place where no one knew us and we knew no one. Hyun Joong held on my hand the whole way, dragging me along as we visited shops and ate to our hearts' content, admiring the artificats and goods those shops sold. We bought snacks, munching on them as we strolled together down the road. 

From the corner of my eye, I saw Hyun Joong's smiling so brightly he nearly glowed. My own lips upturned slightly at his happy expression, his own golden aura effecting my own. 

"Young Saeng," Hyun Joong spoke, turning to me with that same beam. "Let's go over there!"

I only took a glance at what he was pointing out, though I didn't know exactly where for his point of direction was quite vague, but I nodded anyway, returning his cheerful grin with my own soft smile. Almost immediately, his grip around my hand tightened and he dashed off again, dragging me behind. 

"Hyun Joong! Slow down!" I exclaimed, afraid that I would trip over my feet at the speed he was going. His only response was a light laugh as he continued speeding towards the fields. Not being able to help myself, I chuckled at that foolish grin plastered on his face. Together, we laughed as we ran, not even knowing what exactly what we found so amusing. Maybe it was that Hyun Joong's hair was blowing wildly in the wind. Maybe it was the fact that he had almost face planted himself onto the ground, nearly bringing me down along with him. Maybe it was because tears had suddenly found their way out of my eyes and down my cheeks. Maybe it was because I never wanted today to end. 

Fortunately, Hyun Joong was still running in front of me, pulling me along behind me, so that he did not see the tears trickling down my cheeks. Quickly, I wiped them with my the black sleeve of my school uniform and only smiled as I looked up at my bestfriend's back again, running along the golden light of the sun. 

I was lucky, so lucky to have a friend like him. At that moment, I felt more blessed than I had ever felt before, and for some reason, words of gratitude began to ring in my head. 

Thank you. 

Soon, we ended up at a secluded area of the town where the only people who were there were me and him. We spotted a bench at the side of the rocky road and being exhausted and sweaty from running so much, Hyun Joong pulled me along again and plopped onto it, his laughter ringing out into the vast, open sky. 

"Next! We take the bus!" he exclaimed excitedly, sweat dripping down hiw neck and along his temple. I smiled and dug out a hankerchief from my pocket, passing it to him. He took gratefully and began to wipe his face before asking. "Young Saengie, can you show me your ticket?"

I stared at him incredulously. "My ticket...?" I reached into my other pocket and pulled it out, handing it over to him in confusion. "Yeah, here. Why?"

He seemed to be reading the information on it and then smiled gently, this time softer than the other times. It maybe have been the light playing a trick on my eyes, but I thought I saw a slight sadness in his eyes. It was gone in an instant. Perhaps it really was my imagination. 

"You," he began quietly. "Are going quite far away, aren't you?"

Once again, I was puzzled. My eyebrows furrowed, not understanding what he meant. "Hyun Joong... What are you talking about? Aren't you coming with me?"

He gave the ticket back to me with a warm smile that seemed to be glow even brighter than the sun. "Ahead of you is the real world your path leads to. From this point on, you're on your own."

And without warning, there was a strong gust of wind before a black bus suddenly appeared in front of the bench. It was no normal bus, seemingly to be floating and emitting a dark, purple and black aura. My eyes widened when I saw Hyun Joong step closer to it. Upon instinct, I grabbed his wrist. "What are you doing?"

Hyun Joong turned back to me and place his own larger hand onto mine, making me loosen my grip. "This is my ride. You're getting on the one that comes after."

The door of the vehicle opened and a large skeleton hand reached out. "Please show me your ticket," a booming, deep, gravelly voice spoke out. 

I grit his teeth and his hand caught Hyun Joong's shoulder. "No one is getting on this bus, especially not you. I'm not letting you go."

The voice boomed again. "The bus was scheduled to pick up one person. It cannot be changed."

"Then I'll go." Hyun Joong stared at me with wide eyes and I looked back in determination. "Trade tickets with me, Hyun Joong. If it has to take one person, it will take me. You're my best friend. I'm willing to do anything for you, you know that."

Hyun Joong smiled in response, but then shook his head. "No, Young Saeng. This is my duty. The years I have spent with you were the happiest of my life. You have no idea how glad I was to have met someone like you. But your own duty lies somewhere else. And besides, I can't trade tickets with you even if I wanted to."

I watched carefully as my best friend ed his uniform jacket and dress shirt, pulling it apart for me to see that there were letters engraved into his chest and abdomen, and they were glowing dark purple as if responding to the bus. "This is my ticket."

My breath hitched in my throat as tears welled up in my eyes once more. Before I knew it, I was crying again. Hyun Joong walked up to me with a forlorn smile, placing the once-warm hand onto my cheek and I found myself leaning into his cold touch. "I'm sorry, Young Saeng. Please don't cry."

With that, he stepped back and turned around to face the bus. The skeleton hand had disappeared and all there was a pitch darkness in the doors of the bus. I could only watch helplessly with tears streaming down my face as he stepped onto the bus. 

Please...

He turned around as the doors began to close. 

Please...

He smiled softly and sadly, his eyes that were once filled with happiness were now clouded with grief. Yet there was something else.

God... Save...

He opened his mouth. 

Save him... 

"I love you."

Please...

That was it before the doors closed and the bus burst into hundreds of white feathers, floating and fading away into sparkling dust. I collapsed onto my knees, hand grasping my ticket in my hand. 

The bus I was expecting never came. Instead, as the sun set behind me, someone stepped out of the shadows before me and I looked up from my knees to see a person wearing all black with a dark hood over his head stopping in front of me. 

"Who..." I started hesitantly. "Who are you?"

The figure seemed to smirk. "You really don't recognize me, Heo Young Saeng."

I wiped my tears, sniffling as I looked at the man again as I slowly stood up. He was around the same height as me, a centimeter or two taller. "Am I supposed to know you?"

"Follow me. I will show you your destiny."

"You have not yet answered my question," I persisted, staying rooted at my spot.

"I am your guide to your next destination."

Slowly, my eyes blinked open and I was a met with a pair of warm, brown orbs. With a smile of realization, I slowly sat up and pet the puppy beside me gently. The puppy whined and pounced onto my lap, curling up there. I gently scratched him behind the ears with a sigh. 

That's right... Hyun Joong left me years ago on a summer day just like the one in my dream. 

After all these years, I couldn't forget. I would never be able to forget. It wasn't like he was going to let me, and it wasn't like I wanted to.

"Hyun Joong," I called the dog and almost immediately, he responded to his name and gazed up at me with his brown orbs filled with happiness and in the corner, I could see a sparkle of love. I recognized it. That one spark I had seen in my best friend's eyes in the clouds of sadness that had overflowed his eyes. Love. That's what it was. "Shall we go?"

The adorable caramel puppy hopped off the bed and barked softly, turning his head to me as if he were grinning. It reminded me of those cheeky grins Hyun Joong used to have plastered on his face all the time. I closed my eyes, allowing myself to indulge in the past for just a few moments for opening them again and exhaling. 

"Let's go..." I said as I swung my legs off the bed. My puppy waited as I washed up and changed, and then followed me as I walked out of my room and downstairs. "... Hyun Joong."

 

 

 




Well, that's my story! I hope you got the ending. I'm not sure if you guys got it, so I'll write an explanation down here. 

So basically, Hyun Joong passed away years ago and that dream is to represent that fact. Of course, Hyun Joong didn't "actually" die like that, but it's just to show that he did leave. At the end of Young Saeng's dream, the shadow was actually his future self leading him to the "next destination". And at the end, when he wakes up from his dream, the puppy is actually a reincarnation of Hyun Joong and Young Saeng knows this, which is the reason why he names the puppy Hyun Joong as well. 

That's my explanation :D And yes, this was inspired by an anime XD Or manga, haha~ Well, the anime derives from a manga... so I guess a manga :D

It's called 07 Ghost if you're interested! XD XD XD