6 Minutes

HYUNSAENG SHORT SHORT STORIES ♥♡♥♡

Young Saeng had also been a shy boy who didn't like to step out of his comfort zone, who wasn't extremely friendly towards strangers, who was pretty quiet in general. He was conscious of his own looks and his self-esteem wasn't exactly the highest. He was the quiet boy throughout elementary school and middle school. And it wasn't until highschool before he was changed, he became a different person. 

 

"Annyeonghaseyo, I'm Hyun Joong. Kim Hyun Joong."

"An-annyeonghaseyo. My name is Heo Young Saeng. Nice to meet you Hyun Joong-ssi."

"There's no need for honorifics. We're the same age anyway. Just call me Hyun Joong."

 

It was because of this boy named 'Hyun Joong' that Young Saeng was able to change, was able to grow out of his shell, was able to smile to the world. And Young Saeng was grateful that he had met Hyun Joong, so glad that he could find something in himself to change. 

After graduation, Young Saeng entered university to study biology, aiming to become a doctor. 

 

"Why a doctor, Saeng?"

"Because I want to help people. I want to be of some use."

"Is that the only reason?"

"No."

"Then what's the other reason?"

"Because it's what you wanted."

 

Hyun Joong was intelligent, athletic, perfect in any way you could think of. He could play instruments, he could play soccer, he could earn a gold medal in a national math competition. Young Saeng looked up to him as his boyfriend and a role model. But what use what perfection be when the only imperfection is sickness? Hyun Joong was diagnosed with cancer in the last year of high school and by this time, the tumor was already too large to treat with chemotherapy. All Young Saeng and Hyun Joong could do was wait and try to lengthen the amount of time Hyun Joong could live. 

 

"I'm fine, Saeng"

"No, you're not. I can tell you're lying."

"I'm telling you. I'm okay. You don't have to fuss over me so much."

"You can put up that strong mask in front of our friends, but you can't do that in front of me. Don't say you're okay when you're not. I know you're feeling just as bad as me."

 

Hyun Joong wanted their love to be forever so the two got married two months after graduation. But six months flew past like six hours and soon, it seemed like any day could be Hyun Joong's last day. And deep in Young Saeng's heart, he already knew when. As a doctor in training, Young Saeng could see symptoms, knew that the cancer was only spreading, and could sense his lover's life slowly ending. 

Six minutes. That's all he needed. He needed six minutes of courage and then he could let it all out. Taking a deep breath, Young Saeng grabbed the knob to his lover's door, just as he had done every single other day, and turned it, stepping in.

 

00:01

Hyun Joong sat on the bed, staring out the window. His usual lively, cheerful eyes were dull and blank, his skin ghostly white. 

"Hyun Joong?" Young Saeng called gently, stepping in. The older slowly turned his head and managed a small smile. Young Saeng took Hyun Joong's cold, clammy hands and squeezed them with a soft smile. "Hey."

"Saeng," his husband croaked, returning the younger's hold with all the strength he could muster. "You're here again."

Young Saeng chuckled and nodded as he sat down beside Hyun Joong, climbing onto the hospital bed with him. "Yeah, I'm here again. This is the only place I really want to be because you're here."

"I love you," Hyun Joong managed quietly. Their hands linked together and they intertwined their fingers. 

The younger leaned forward and gently pressed his lips onto the latter's, tilting his head. He could feel Hyun Joong returning the kiss with the small amount of energy he had left. 

"You know," Hyun Joong started when they broke away. "Some say that if you close your eyes, you see darkness. But if you close them a little longer, you see light."

Young Saeng nodded and giggled. "And even though my eyes aren't even closed, I can still see light in your eyes."

The younger gazed lovingly at his husband, feeling as though he were swimming in the latter's eyes. However, before he could drown, Hyun Joong's eyes were already shut and they seemed to be closing a little longer. 

06:27

 

Six minutes was the time he needed courage for. Six minutes and twenty seven seconds was the most courageous task he had ever accomplished. Young Saeng let teardrops trickle down his cheeks as he felt multiple stabs in his heart, seeing as his lover's pain was finally let go.

 

 




I know, I know. It's really short. It still has yet to be proofread and edited. But I'm just gonna post this out for now. :P Check back any day to see if it grew XD