Selene

Noblesse Oblige
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Selene
Titan of the moon.

All eyes were on me. I had to wear the word PIG as it was my first, middle and last name. They weren’t laughing anymore. My class- and schoolmates were scared of me. I had carved into my own skin and the entire world could see it. I wanted to cry, but I considered this as some kind of battle scar. This was not who I was and I didn’t let it affect me. Not as much NYF wanted it to be. He never said how long I should wear it and after my first class, I put on something with longer sleeves. No one talked to me. No one looked at me anymore. I was used to be called a freakshow, but this time, people were even sincerer.

There was something else I forgot to address. I never felt any legit pain while doing what I had to do. I didn’t. It was all inside my head and I forgot how it made me feel. The pain came afterwards. The letters on my skin started to swell and it burned. It burned like my arm was on fire and the pain didn’t leave. Everything my arm touched set it on fire again. It hurt so much.

Word started to spread and before I knew it, I was pulled out of class, sent to the principal and ended in the school psychologist’s room. We were now here, both looking at each other with vague stares and I just waited for him to talk again. He had been asking me obnoxious questions about everything and I refused to answer.

Because I scared a lot of people, I was now bound to be here each and every day during lunch. So I didn’t have to eat in the restroom again. I had to eat my lunch with this guy. He was slender, maybe even clumsy and looked more like a girl than a guy. I’d figured he was somewhere in his late twenties and just graduated. Why would he even be a school’s psychologist to begin with?

“Again, Luhan… Why would you call yourself a pig? Was it a cry for help?” This was his last question before he grabbed his smartphone and started typing in a message. “We have tried contacting your mother to inform what happened, but she doesn’t answer the number she’s registered under. Where is she?”

“Working,” I simply remarked and had to remind myself to be home on time. I needed to watch over Miyoung and make sure no one hurt her. I had hurt myself so that my dog could be left unharmed. She was all I had left in this pitiful world and I was not planning on giving up on her.

“Okay, you’re not planning to cooperate with me. That’s not good. You’re obliged to see me for as long as I tell you to. So we’re better start working on improving our relationship first. I know it’s hard to trust a stranger, so I’ll start. You can call me Hyunseung.” I wasn’t even afraid of the school contacting my mother. She wouldn’t answer her phone. She worked three jobs to keep our almost non-existent household running.

“Hyunseung,” I said, almost whispered and frowned. “Are you seeing a lot of people?” That was the only thing that came out of my mouth. I didn’t want to think about opening up to him. I didn’t want to see his fairy like face anymore.

“It would surprise you,” when the bell rang, I couldn’t describe what kind of freedom washed over me. I told him my goodbye and ran upstairs, to the roof where I decided to spend the last two hours of class at. I didn’t want people to stare at me like that every again. I wanted to forget about me. However, I was aware this was just the start and that I had an envelope to get from underneath my desk.

I arrived at the roof and threw down my backpack. I knew that my math teacher wasn’t going to be happy to see I ditched class. I didn’t know what to do with myself. Until at some point, I noticed something on the roof of our school. It was a doll. No, more like a stuffed doll. I didn’t know how to call it. It was there in the middle of the roof, faced down.

It had brownish hair and a pale skin. Its pointy ears and dark eyes were a distraction of the mind. I could

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter