Eurybia

Noblesse Oblige
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Eurybia Titan of the sea.  

 

"You were gone for what seemed to have been hours. Seriously! I thought you followed those voices we heard." Kai said and kept his eyes glued to his plate. It was Monday and the last few weeks of school were happening right about now. I was not sure whether a break from it would do me good. I was changing. We were all changing.

Something peculiar happened. I got a text message last night, when I got home. It was not from NYF. Or maybe it was. I just had no idea what it meant. I should show it to Kai later. Not now. He was already freaked out. Did not want to cause a fuss again. Sehun was ill. We were visiting him after school.

"There were no voices, Kai. Probably put there to scare people that were looking for a curse." I said. Maybe that would work.

"Hhmm..." He stirred his tea and ignored Siwon as he walked past us. The teacher looked tired. He changed as well. We all did after Yixing died. "You still haven't said what kept you so occupied. I stayed waiting for you. Felt like a dog," he laughed. "Perhaps I'm too loyal."

"You are." I said. "I kinda feel bad. Remember my cousin, Chanyeol?"

"Uhu. The detective person, right?"

"Yes. Sort of. He called me. When I got lost. Has a great timing, my cousin. We should stay away from that school."

"Luhan?"

"Yes."

"Since he is kind of a detective... Has he ever helped you into finding NYF?" Kai's face changed. He seemed occupied by something not present in this room. We all were. "I bet he has."

"He can't." my voice lingered. "It's against the rules. It's like cheating, he says. And whenever we cheat, this all starts over again. Fifteen times, he said." I had no idea whether Kai even understood this. Did he follow? Did he truly understand the universes? I had no idea. He never bothered to believe it. Maybe because he was scared. "But why fifteen?"

"Fifteen is a lot." Was his reply.

Then Kai said something rather genius. Something that altered every single thought I had into something sublime. "Question. If you play a game and you lose fifteen times, is the outcome still the same? For instance, when you play hide and seek and cheat- you know where the other players are hiding. So if you start again, time after time, do the locations of the players stay the same, or are they randomly generated?"

"You're saying that every time I cheat, NYF gets randomly generated into another person? Is that your theory?"

"Yes. I think that is possible. No two universes are exactly alike, right? Or that's what I heard."

"If we take this to the extreme..." I muttered, "NYF is of no significance. What if he does not only get randomly generated. What if we all do? For instance, you were playing my role and I was NYF last time. You cheated and everything got scrambled again. Now I am this role and you are..."

"Huh..."

"My best friend?"

He seemed glad I called him that. Relieved. "Could be. I'm better at this, you know. Thinking. Put me out there in a haunted school and I freak out."

"Understandable."

"But there is one thing I don't understand." Kai remarked. "So we have the words Noblesse Oblige. We know what that means. In NYF's eyes, he is doing the right thing. He is helping you. Did he help you (or your role if our theory is right) the last f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter