THE OTHER SIDE OF THE DEAD END

Just Admit It, I Know You Love Me

 

Sorry for the long wait! Enjoy and comment!

 

THE OTHER SIDE OF THE DEAD END

 

Seconds ticked on as Gui sat in her apartment, thinking about Aaron’s phone conversation with Prince earlier. The news of Prince’s engagement caused a shock that was way bigger than she thought. Though she never dreamed of possibilities with Prince, the thought of him permanently taken had shocked her so great that she had canceled all of her work for the rest of the day.

 

She had unavoidably let Hebe, Aaron and Mike see her inner self that was so fragile as to be on the edge of collapse. Through her insistence, though, Hebe, Aaron, and Mike were forced to leave her alone though they desperately worried about her.

 

She now sat on the white leather sofa in her rather large and empty apartment, alone. She had the TV to shoot away the emptiness. But, it turns out that the TV news cut her even deeper. The first channel showed news of Hebe and Mike, sweet and happily shopping together. She flipped the channel to a food network show; the main entrée, shrimp with garlic sauce, soon proved to be a very, very unappetizing picture for a pregnant girl. Quickly switching the channel once again, Gui stopped and stared at the picture of Prince and Michelle with a large focus on the ring Michelle wore. The road between her and Prince seems nothing but a dead end now.

 

 

-Prince’s House-

 

Prince: Why did you call a press conference for our engagement?

 

Michelle: Why do you ask like that? I want to share our happiness with everyone. And this way, my parents will just have to accept my decision and live with it.

 

Prince: Don’t you think all of this is a little rushed? I mean we just got back together-

 

Michelle: Stop. What are you trying to say?

 

Prince: I don’t really know myself either, but I just think we’re going a little too fast.

 

Michelle: Then why did you even agree to get engaged in the first place?

 

Prince was silent for a long while before Michelle finally got up and picked up her purse.

 

Michelle: I think this isn’t a good time to talk. I’ll call you later, I’m going home.

 

Leaving just those words, Michelle walked out and shut the door behind. Prince sighed and lay back down on his couch and stared at the ceiling.

 

 

-Hebe’s house-

 

Mike: I brought another two bags of fan gifts for you. Wanna go through them?

 

Hebe: Sure.

 

They sat down comfortably on the couch and started to go through the gifts one by one. Of course, there were the usual stuffed animals, the cards, and then something caught Hebe’s eyes. While Mike was at the restroom, a small box nicely wrapped in shiny silver gift wrap tied with rich blue ribbons. The fine wrapping made it stand out from the rest of the gifts. Hebe slowly untied the ribbons pealed the wrap.

 

The nice box on the outside was obviously a disguise and could not nearly compare with what was inside. As soon as Hebe opened the box, she recognized the special Tiffany’s collection necklace that she secretly wanted for a long time. It shocked her as a surprise because not many people knew this little secret and chances are, it’s not a random guess. Searching up and down from the wrapping to the actual box, Hebe could find nothing else that gave information about the sender. As she took the necklace out, a small card dropped out from the bottom of the box reading:

 

Hope this gift finds you well.

Your happiness,

My blessings

-Anonymous-

 

The necklace was so beautiful; and costly too. Hebe was dazzled by the necklace, not because it was expensive or because it’s was from Tiffany’s, but rather enticed by the design and the sparkling diamond on the necklace itself. Though she did conclude such a design and texture could only be done by Tiffany’s. The “anonymous” intrigued Hebe, she wanted to know who it was. But she soon composed herself again and realized how costly such a present would be and her principles of accepting gifts. However without a name or address, there was no way to return this gift.

 

Hebe heard Mike’s footsteps and quickly hid the necklace in a drawer nearby. But in her mind, she spent the rest of the day thinking about this “anonymous” person.

  

Later on, Mike left to bring back the gifts that needed to be returned and also to resume filming. Hebe, however was surprisingly free, which gave her way too much time to think about “anonymous” person. As she tried hard to block out this intriguing mysteriousness, she thought of Gui instead. She worried for Gui, and though Gui shooted everyone away just earlier, Hebe decided to pay another visit anyway.

 

Hebe stood impatiently as she rang Gui’s doorbell. No one answers. She rang again. And again there is none other than silence. She rang three times in a row, hoping that Gui will get annoyed and eventually open the door; she calls out Gui’s name, but she hears only the echoes of her own voice. Almost irritated now, she crosses her arms and glares at the door, feeling stupid at the same time. Then suddenly, she remembers Gui’s childish habits. She bent down and lifted the carpet outside the doorstep, and surely, there was a key right underneath. Victory radiated through her grin as she slips the key into the lock and the door clicks open.

 

Hebe: Success! Gui, I know you too well! Come out of your room and talk to me! I’m worried about you. And DO NOT try to shoot me away again. Gui? Gui!

 

Hearing no response, Hebe strides over to Gui’s room, she barges in, expecting Gui to be curled up in bed.

 

Hebe: Hey get—

 

Except… Hebe opens the door to a large empty room, with Gui nowhere to be found. Confused, Hebe walks around the room, checking the walk-in closet and the restroom, only to find more empty space. Everything else seemed normal, nothing was missing, except GUI! Hebe walks back to the living room, checking every possible room, corner, space available while calling for Gui. After searching everywhere, her eyes settle upon a yellow post-it note that sticks out from the refrigerator door. Hebe rushes up to see.

 

Hebe:

          I know you will get in here somehow, I don’t know exactly how, but you always have your ways. And I left this note for you to please stop worrying about me.

 

          I’m so sorry I couldn’t tell you in person. I couldn’t bring the courage to directly speak with you, because I fear if I hear your voice, I would not be brave enough to do what I am doing right now. Yes, I have left. But, it is not permanent, at least I hope not. Honestly, I don’t even know what I plan to do or how long this will last, but just know that I am fine, safe and sound. Don’t worry about me.

 

          Please don’t ask or ponder where I am. Please don’t try to contact me, not that you will be able to, since my phone will be off. And please don’t try to find out. I will come back when I am ready, and when that time comes, I will be the old Gui again, the one that you loved, the one that is untroubled, the one that has found another path to the dead end I am stuck in right now.

 

          I will miss you very much, in fact, I already do. I know you will too, and I’m sorry I had to go this way. My only request is you not mention ever seeing this letter to anyone, not to the agency, not to my manager, not to ANYONE. Just know that, when I am ready to come back, you will be the first to know.

 

                                                                                      Love,

                                                                                       Gui

 

P.S. You may deny this, but I think we both know that Mike is a great friend, but not the one for you. Look around you, that person may be so close within your reach, don’t let your true love pass by.

 

And like that, Gui left without a trace, not taking anything with her. It had only been a few hours since she’s last seen Gui, and no one would have ever guessed that within these few hours, Gui would just be gone. Hebe stood frozen in Gui’s vastly empty apartment, this place that was once filled with the joyful laughter and sunshine that always radiated from Gui. Hebe wondered how things had turned out in such a sad way, and for once, she really felt like she was reliving a TV drama, lamenting over the loss of her best friend.

 

Hebe read the letter over and over again, between every line, she could feel the sadness Gui is experiencing. Hebe knows right away that “anyone” implies Prince; it also implies Gui wants to continue to hide her secret. She also noted the P.S. part, but decided to think about her own problems later. She was certain that Gui could not have possibly planned out this escape, and this spontaneity only worried her more. Gui’s assurance was weak, how could she not worry? Especially the fragile condition Gui is in, Hebe was more worried than ever.

 

Suddenly she felt mad, mad at Gui for leaving, and even more angry at Prince, who has driven her always happy and optimistic friend to such drastic measures. And with that anger slowly broiling within her, she ran out to her car and stomped on the gas pedal, determined to find an explanation of this madness, but from who, she has no idea. She ran two red lights in a row but stomped on the brakes as she passes a wide LCD screen hanging on a building displaying the earlier news of Prince and Michelle’s engagement.

 

She decided to begin with Prince.

 

***

Dear readers,

 

Hope everyone enjoyed this chapter! I sincerely apologize for the long absence. Please feel free to comment :D I will be updating as time permits throughout break! Of course, the more comments and support I get, the more motivated I will be to update!

 

Please stay tuned and I look forward to hear from you guys.

 

Love,

Grace

PS. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! 

12.25.10