Chapter 7 : Dismissal

BEFORE DESTINY

“O, Raemi...” I said gradually lowering the volume of my voice as I realized Raemi was with that transfer student. They were headed outside. Dang! I wanted to eat with her today so that I could get to know her. “Myungsoo ya!!!” I turned around as I felt a heavy arm around me. It was my bestfriend Lee Sungjae. “Ya, why are you just standing there?” he said. “Nothing. I just thought I saw something weird.” I replied. “Don't tell me you were looking at a girl? Who is it, huh?” he said ignoring my statement. I elbowed him on the ribs.. “Ya, I just told you I that I saw something weird, not a 'girl'.” He rolled his eyes at me and said, “Let's just go and fall in line.”

 

While in line, I saw Eunhae and Raemi settling down by the benches. “Ya, Ya, Lee Sungjae, why don't we eat outside for today?” I said tapping him. “What has gotten in to you? You always wanted to eat outside. Whenever I asked you to eath there, you always disagreed. Is there something you're not telling me?” he asked suspiciously. “I just wanted to eat outside all right. Let's just go, okay?” I said, leading him outside.

 

“Now I see..” Sungjae exclaimed. “See what?” “That.” pointing to Raemi and Eunhae's bench. “You wanted to see that pretty transfer student right? I see you're starting to take interest in girls. I'm proud of you Myungsoo a.” “What?” “Oh don't deny it.” “I'm not denying anything. I don't even like that girl.” “Oh right, I saw how you treated her earlier. That was cold you know. She just wanted to get to know you.” “Whatever.” “Well, that's fine with me. That girl's pretty cute. Poor thing she's with Han Raemi..” he said with disgust. “Ya, what's wrong with Raemi? She's done nothing to you” I said interrupting him. “Why are you so defensive?” “It's just that..” I said but he interrupted me, “You should worry about yourself too, you know. Your luck's gone bad. First you get to pick her as your seatmate then you get to be elected as her vice president. You're gonna be spending a lot of time with her. Be careful if you want to retain your status.” “It's not bad luck. She's not that bad. She just has a bit more acnes than usual. She hasn't even done anything that would offend anyone so it's not really bad luck. Plus, she's the only girl I know that hasn't stared at me for hours.”

 

“There's no need to get worked up. I'm just warning you. Well, as for me, that Eunhae girl is pretty interesting. Lucky me, I got her as my seatmate.” he said returning to his food. “You and your girls.” “Oh, shut up you.”

 

 

Ding Dong Ding. The bell rang. “Class dismissed.” Raemi stood up and said “Attention” just like I taught her. She's gotten confident overnight. Did she practice? Probably not. Haha. I bowed and when I looked up, I saw her going in front. She'll probably announce what the teacher told her to do earlier.

“I'll announce the names of those assigned to clean for today. Kim Minji, Kang Seukhyeon, Kwon Sunmi, Lim Mi Sol and Shin Jae hee.” She said. No one was listening to her but she still said it. “I'll be expecting everyone later.” she continued but still, no one paid attention to her. Poor girl. She'll be having a hard time controlling this class. One by one, the students went out of the room even the ones she mentioned. Soon, she and I were the only ones left. There was an awkward long silence that lasted for who knows how long.

 

“Let's get started then.” I decided to say. “We probably should.” she said agreeing with me. “Let's start with the chairs since our kind classmates decided not to do it.” I said. She sighed loudly. “Wae? What's wrong?” “Nothing,” she said, “It's just that, I don't think this position suits me.” “What are you talking about? You're doing a great job.” I said, trying to comfort her. “Great job? You call this a great job? I can't even control the class.” raising her voice.

 

“Ya, there's no need to get all worked up. They're just playing some nasty jokes on you.” too nasty in my opinion, I thought. “I know.. it's just. Why did they even vote for me if they're gonna do this to me?” “Don't worry. I'm here to help you, Raemi.” I said and smiled at her. “Thanks. You've been a big help to me. Also, with Eunhae's appearance, I think it would get better.” That girl's name came up again.

 

 

Myungsoo and I continued cleaning while we were talking. He did the windows and I swept the floor. I was done with it so I continued with th board. I thought it would be pretty easy I mean I would just be erasing stuff written on it but as usual it wasn't. Blame my height and everything. I started with the lower half. Now that was easy, the top part was a challenge. Here goes nothing. I tiptoed and reached for the top but I lost my balance and almost sat on the floor. Luckily, my hand was fast enough to support me. “Ya, gwaenchanha?” Myungsoo called. “You sure you can do that?” he continued. “Huh? A. Ne, I can do this.” “Then be careful.” I don't want you to see me as some weakling, I thought. One more time Raemi, I told myself. You can do this. Don't embarrass yourself further in front of the guy you have a crush on. Fighting!

 

I stood up again and tiptoed. I started to get the hang of it when suddenly, I felt a searing pain in my ankle. I closed my eyes and readied myself to hit the ground but halfway through, I felt a hand wrap around my waist. I opened my eyes and saw Myungsoo's face near mine. “Ya, I told you to be careful.” he said. He helped me stand-up but then I felt the pain again. “Appa.” I suddenly said. “Huh? Raemi a, are you hurt somewhere?” he asked, worried. “It's nothing. It's just.. I think I hurt my ankle.” “Why don't you sit first?” he said, pulling out a chair. “Sit. And let me continue with what you're doing, all right?” “But..” “Just, sit.” “Okay, fine.” I said and he grabbed the eraser in my hand. Our hands brushed against each other. I felt something there. How do they call it? Is it an electric current? I sat with that feeling when he suddenly spoke...

“Ya, who falls because of erasing the writings on the board? Are you really that clumsy?” he said looking at me and with a twisted smile.

“Ya...” I began.

“Are you really that small, huh?” he continued, teasing me.

“Ya... if you don't want to do it, I can still continue.” I said.

“And what? Fall over again? Besides, how can you do this with those ankles?”

“Well, I can still do it you know..”

“No need. I'm done anyway. Can you stand up?”

“Yea, I think I can.” I hel on the chair and started to stand-up.

“Don't force yourself.” he said walking closer to me. “If you can't do it, I can always carry you on my back.” he offered. Wait. Did he just offer me that? O, how can I refuse? I stopped myself. Han Raemi, what are you doing? As much as you want to experience that, you can't burden the guy even more. But.. stop it. Okay.. I told myself.

“No.. No. there's no need. I can stand.”

“That's not enough. Here” he said offering his arm “use me as your personal walking stick.”

“No.. No. there's no need.” I said but he took my hands and hooked it in his arms.

“Let's go home before the dark settles.” and he walked with me. His hands still on my arm around his arms, afraid that I might let go.