Seven

Petals and Punches

SEVEN : THE SHORT YET SWEET SPRING FESTIVAL

Nana nodded slowly, excusing herself from Yura's place and went off to her table to start on her assignments. She was fully focused on her work and she even studied a little, not wanting to miss out on anything or everything. She even studied ahead of time, worried that she might not be able to understand. Petrochemistry seemed like a pain in the a*s to her and she did not want to flunk any subject. Her stomach grumbled to remind her that she actually skipped lunch and dinner. She headed for the kitchenette to see if there was anything edible for her and settled on a few pieces of tuna-spread sandwiches.

 

Lying on her bed somewhere around 2am, Nana’s thoughts went back to the part where Yura told her about her brother and his friends; about Luhan. It’s impossible. Guys like him won’t like a girl like me. I kick, punch and have a weird hobby, plus, a shady background. We’re the exact opposite of each other. But the sleek new white-gold iPhone 5S stood out brilliantly against the cast of moonlight. But, the phone, why? He said it’s not charity and I’m sure as hell not a donation centre. Ugh I hate you Luhan. But I think I’m falling for you… With that thought, Nana fell into a deep slumber.     

   

By Saturday, right after arts club meeting ended; Luhan’s screaming red Turbo was parked right beside Yixing’s Golf when they all exited the museum. Nana didn’t see the driver, but he appeared a few seconds later with Yixing by his side and Yixing was showing off Nana’s painting to Luhan; her last week’s painting of deep pink roses as a symbol of gratitude towards Yixing’s kindness. “That’s really pretty, Xing, is that your painting?” Luhan asked. Yixing looked at her and as he was about to answer, she did a throat-slit action and Yixing looked away, half giggling.

 

“Yeah, it’s mine,” as he looked at Nana again and Luhan also looked up to finally meet her hazel brown eyes. “Let’s go, Luhan. I can’t wait to kick you’re a*s again!” She said as she pulled him away from Yixing. I have to get you away before Yixing oppa spills anything else. “Calm, tiger, calm, I will kick your bottom later, don’t worry,” he slowly pried her hand off him as he pushed her into the passenger seat with care. Undeniably, the interactions between the three didn’t go unnoticed by the rest of the club members yet Nana failed to see the slight change behind Yixing’s usual sweet, dimpled smile.

 

It became a routine to the three of them on Saturdays. Yixing picks Nana before arts club meeting and Luhan picks Nana up before Hapkido club meeting. Yixing would be more than happy to fetch and send the girl to both club meetings, but, no, Luhan decided against it. While they hang out with the other guys, Yixing would always be the one to bring up the topic about Nana, while Luhan would always for bringing up the subject about the girl, but Yixing felt that something weird was going on in the head of the other guy. And few of the many evidences he saw were Nana’s new iPhone and number.

 

They would bicker, but it seemed as if their bickering became less vicious and more flirtatious now, to Yixing’s eyes and his thoughts ended as the Porsche drove off towards the sports complex. At the dojang, training was basically the usual, and it seemed like the two main trainees were actually quite playful around each other and even the President noticed it. Less curses were thrown at each others’ faces during their full-body combat and President Choi sensed that something is quite not right somewhere.

 

He gathered all the members after they were all fresh and clean after they hit the showers when training session ended. Then he briefed them on the upcoming HYU’s Spring Festival that would be held in another month’s time. Siwon then asked around if there would be any members who would look forward to organizing the booth together with him. Luhan was picked right away before he could say a word and hands began shooting upwards to volunteer as a part of the organizing team. Nana’s shoulders fell as she saw the number of members who offered to help. I hate you, Luhan.

 

Nana almost lost her interest in helping out when suddenly a hand grabbed her wrist, “you wanted it badly, the last time I recall. Come on,” as she was pulled out from the crowd, she heard the silky sweet voice scolded her and she lowered her head. Siwon nodded at her once as he acknowledged her presence and she smiled back at him. More spots were filled and finally Siwon has already a team of organizers in front of him. The higher committees; which included Luhan, were the ones who call the shots and as for the EXCO, they carry out the work.

 

Nana was the leader of Decorating Team with a few other members with her and there were other teams as well. As for the main event of the festival, the Hapkido club chose 4 of its members to perform as representatives; whom everyone agreed to put forth their President, their MVP, their Blue Bull and the Trump Card Nana. And so, the preparations of the festival began and everyone got busy for the next few weeks. Budgets were drafted and sponsors came in easily for them since they have Luhan and a few other members with business tycoons’ family members.

 

Their spot during the festival was voted and Nana and her team were ready to get their booth all garnished and spruced up. They decided to sell Japanese snacks instead of Koreans since everyone would of course sell their own delicacies. On the side note, they also confirmed on selling a few of the club’s hottest male members gift cards to spice things up and boost their sales. Nana laughed her head off when she saw Luhan’s annoyed face when the President made him go through series of photo shoots for the club’s sake. He even stuck his tongue out at her when she passed by.

 

Nana and her team were doing a great deal of work on organizing and she was thankful that her other members were putting as much effort into their work as she was. They were really nice people and they didn’t even judge or tease or insulted her for being who she is in front of them. Nana decided to use fennel flowers as the symbol of strength. In contrast with their blue colour theme, Nana decided to adorn the blue against the fennel’s yellow tint. Even Luhan was always around to offer her help and he was indeed quite a good helper despite them having enough people in the team.

 

He even bothered her to take a few selcas with the new phone they purchased together. Nana shook her head at his stubbornness, but went along with it nonetheless. While Nana busied herself back to her work and Luhan scrolling and playing with the phone, she didn’t notice that he placed a new cover for the phone and it was a beautiful sketching design of lavender, her smell. Luhan left them to continue on their work with a reason that he had something else to do. She perked up when she received a text and felt something different when she grabbed for the phone that Luhan left a few seconds ago.

 

Luhan:
Hope you’ll like it :)

 

She turned the phone around and saw a new cover now hugging itself tightly to the phone. Nana was no stranger to gifts but after a few years of not receiving any, added with the fact that the very first after so many years actually came with a beautiful picture of the lavender she likes, she almost sobbed if not for the fact that there were other people in the room. She smiled her lopsided smile and caressed the purple cover with care. She didn’t want to admit it, but the feeling had always been there. She was falling even deeper this time and she hated it, hated listening to her heart.

 

Nana:
Thanks, man. You’re a good friend

Luhan:
Just thanks?! And there’s not a single smiley or a ‘dot’ at the end. Do you hate it that much Nana?

Nana:
No, I love it, Luhan. I really do :D

 

 

She quickly stashed the phone away before she could read his replies and follow her heart instead of her head. Another week was left for the festival and all the preparation for the booth was almost done. Everyone did their parts well and when everything was ready just as they planned, Nana and her team were all smiles and were very pleased, but Nana knew that when they finally put everything up into place then only they could feel the real relief and the pure joy of seeing their hard work. Then, it was just another few days for the festival. Another look at her screen lock, it was almost time for them to meet up to finish the booth’s design.

 

She stared at her phone a tad while longer which had a wallpaper of Luhan being the derp himself and putting it up on his own free will, demanding her to keep it that way for no real reason. If he was being flirty, then he was doing it so obviously. But if it was a friendly gesture, then, Nana thought, just go screw with some other girl’s feelings. I don’t need to be fooled by the people I trust. But, in all honesty, Nana liked how Luhan and even Yixing did not force and ask her questions about her past when others try so hard to break the wall she created for herself.

The festival was a success for the Hapkido club that May. Their club swept a few titles; namely ‘Best Decorated’, ‘Best Selling’, ‘Best Product’. They even won the main title: ‘The Best Booth’ and it made Siwon smile from ear to ear. The Arts club participated in the festival as well, but they were more subtle compared to the Hapkido club. Yixing came over to tell her that most of the paintings sold were made by her and he told her that it was painted by a mysterious ‘Butterfly’. Nana was very happy and she thanked Yixing for his kindness despite her absence at the Arts club booth.

 



If I'm not mistaken, the competition is just a month's away from its closing date. This story meant a lot to me since it brought me and my room mate closer. I'd like to dedicate this story to everyone or even anyone who decided to read this story. I hope you guys would enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy writing it.

Ugh, I'm sorry AFF, I hate the fact that my favourite font is not available. I'm actually using a different font, kindda disappointed.

Okay, enough from me. I'm just gonna cry on my own while watching Secretly, Greatly. I've always been so in love with Kim Soo Hyun and Lee Hyun Woo, oh dear me, seeing the two of them on action together, oh dear me. The feels ~

Updated; October 2
Edited; Feb 18