Four

Petals and Punches

FOUR : CRYPTIC TALENT

“That’s very good, I can say. I don’t see that flower around here, so you must have a good imagination,” the guy went on and finally sat down on the empty side of the bench beside Nana. “Oh, and I’m Zhang Yixing, by the way,” he added and offered her his hand. Nana was still shocked with the guy’s sudden appearance that she looked repeatedly back-and-forth between the guy who introduced himself as ‘Zhang Yixing’ and his hand. Maybe Nana gaping at him got the guy chuckling with his dimpled smile once again and gave her a slight nod. Nana must have appeared rude and quickly shot a hand to receive the hand shake.

 

His grip was firm yet his fingers, they felt oddly similar to hers. He’s an artist? “You’re an artist, too?” That came out like a statement instead of a question. “Well,” he started as she let go of his hand, “I join the arts club. So, I guess I am one too! What’s your name?” “Nana, Shim Nana,” she replied and he nodded. “I see. Nice to meet you, Nana. Now would you tell me why did you decide to fall behind and sit here instead of finishing the rest of the tour?” He asked her and Nana looked ahead of her, not replying right away.

 

“Probably tired,” liar Nana, you’re a liar. “I guess it was too much of a walking. Well, I am tired as hell too since this place is enormously unnecessary.” He agreed with her and Nana felt even worst for that. “Anyway, how do you feel like joining the arts club?” He asked like he own it and Nana looked at him. Of course I’d love to. It’s my first choice! “Maybe, maybe not,” she voiced out and looked away, afraid that he could catch her lying. Her right thumb rubbed her left wrist, one of her many habits, and that one is a display of how a big, fat liar she was.

 

“If you are, then, you should come to the club’s meeting on Saturdays; at 10am, seminar room; HYU Museum, near the Administration Building,” he told her and she felt like rolling her eyes at him. “And that is, where exactly?” She asked quietly and he chuckled. “Figure you’d ask. Pack your things; we’re going back to the group tour. You’re missing out a lot,” and as he said that, she placed her paper and pencil back into her bag and got up to stand beside the Zhang guy. He grabbed onto her wrist and started to jog towards a different group who just passed by.

 

As the tour continued, the painter guy stayed by her side to give her a private tour of some sorts, and Nana felt herself receiving weird glances from the other students. Hey, I didn’t ask for it, okay?! But at least, she didn’t feel lonely and she appreciated the male’s company. “You hardly talk, don’t you? Oh and my alias is Lay. But feel free to call me Yixing.” He stated and continued on with the tour. What Nana didn’t know was that very few people were allowed to call this Zhang fellow ‘Yixing’.

 

Nana nodded and with a small voice, “okay, Yixing sunbaenim.” He giggled and said aloud, “don’t have to be so formal. Oppa is fine,” and again that dimpled smile. Nana gulped, praying that it wasn’t audible and looked away. Damn, why are there so many good looking guys here?! Nana scowled at the thought of it and suddenly she was reminded of that day when a deer look-alike guy tried to stop her from entering the ladies. She huffed and shook her head. Looking back at Yixing, she offered him a small smile and at that moment, they came across the sports complex and Yixing pointed out the facilities available there.

 

“This is the Office of Sports Activities which offers a Korean style lounge where HYU’s athletes could rest, use the sauna, and a weight room for the purpose of strength training,” he said, “we also have training rooms where our athletes could exercise any time. Hey, they even have a special athlete’s restaurant where nutritional balanced meals are served. I envy them sometimes *giggles* we have a few soccer fields, but the main team plays at the main field; the baseball team, basketball, volleyball, Taekwondo, Judo, gymnastics, ice hockey and the track teams.”

 

“And since last year, the Hapkido team also came into view as one of the most popular sports here,” and at the mention of Hapkido, it caught Nana’s attention. “Umm, Yixing,” she spoke up and he halted; probably surprised to hear her talk all of a sudden. “Yes, Nana?” He asked and she looked towards the tennis courts. “The Hapkido team, do they still accept people at the dojang?” She asked and he looked down at her with a smile. “Afraid not. They’ve reached the limit quota for a club,” he replied and saw her shoulders fell.

 

“But, hey, you could always go try and ask! One of my friends is a permanent member, and the President; I’m acquainted to him. You could give it a shot. Practices are on Saturdays as well, around noon. So, by this weekend, after classes has started, you could come here,” he assured her and Nana tried to hide her joy by looking down on the road as they continued their tour. They were all gathered back at the Seminar Room and Nana sunk back into the group of students.

 

Once or twice, the other students caught Yixing staring at Nana, but Nana was absolutely oblivious to what was happening. The tour was actually the last activity for their orientation session and after a teary eyed speech by the female head of facilitators, the students were dismissed with a good luck and HYU’s motto: Love in Truth and in Deed. There were already girls formed into groups of fours or threes or two. Nana didn’t feel lonely; she knew it was too soon to make any friends. They could be good friends in front of each other but who knows they’ll back stab each other to hell in the future.

 

Nana shivered at the thought of it, trusting people too easily is something one should never do. And of course, Nana learnt her lesson. I trusted way too much. Walking back on her own, wished she had brought along her umbrella. The sun was roasting hot against her skin and she felt like cursing. But suddenly, a black Golf GTI steered slowly up beside her and the window of the car silently came down, revealing the owner. “Come on, I’ll send you back to G-Hall. It’s a long walk, Nana,” Yixing said from the driver seat while Nana froze at the sight of such an expensive car.

 

I don’t even know you that well, dude. “I only think it is fair for me to walk since the others are doing so too. I don’t want to receive any exclusive treatment,” she countered and he smiled. “Nana, I know we haven’t known each other for a long time, but I’m being a nice senior by offering you a ride. Now be a good junior and get in,” Yixing replied and Nana lost to him as he played the senior-junior card. Pfft, that’s unfair. She thought as she lowered her head and went on the other side of the car. Once she was inside, Nana closed the door beside her with care and Yixing stepped on the gas. “See, that wasn't so hard, right?” He said and drove off.

 

Classes began at the beginning of March, and the night before, Nana came back to her room with a fully furnished side on the other half. My roommate. And before she could admire the identically organized part of the other side of the room as hers, a couple of short knocks came to the door. ”Hi there! So you’re my roommate! Hello, I’m Park Yura. Nice to meet you!” The cheerful voice rang in her ears and Nana replied with a polite, “Shim Nana. Nice to meet you too.” Yura went on and on about many things and Nana respected her since Yura is her senior who just came back from her practical. Nana was glad to have her as a roommate, although Yura blabbers cutely most of the time, but Nana was comfortable with her presence. Hence, Park Yura is in her good books.

 

It was all introductions throughout classes that week. Nana felt like everything was just the beginning and there are many more of what she was about to learn to come for. By the end of the weekday, prepped with her arts supplies and a few sets of clothes for Hapkido later on, Nana set her journey off to the Museum after a farewell to her roommate who was still sleeping with breakfast that Nana made for both of them. Although she was 5 minutes late, Yixing welcomed her with a smile and they began the activity for that day.

 

By noon, the meeting ended and Nana was getting ready to jog over to the sports complex for Hapkido. Yes, some warm up should do. But, no, Yixing decided to offer her a ride in front of the other club members and Nana lowered her head while following Yixing out of the seminar room. After they reached the dojang, Yxing followed her into the building and heads turned to look at them. He greeted one of the guys who seemed to be the leader among the many other practitioners who surrounded him. “Hyung, hi! I’m sorry I came without a warning. My friend here,” pointing to Nana and about a few dozens of head turned instead of one towards her, “wants to try out for a spot in the Hapkido team. Could you give her a chance?”

 

“Hi, Lay. It’s been a while since you came around. Business is getting into you, I bet. Wait a minute. That’s interesting. You never really brought any friends around like that other friend of yours to the dojang. I guess the girl’s something, right?” The chiseled guy before her said and Yixing nodded. “I believe in her. So, is that an okay from you?” Yixing asked as he gave the leader what looked like to Nana an aegyo?! “Sure, sure. Lay, you better stop that before I tackle you down to the floor,” the guy stated and Yixing stood straight with just a dimpled smile. “Thanks, hyung. Now, I’ll just stay behind at the seats and watch you guys. Good luck, Nana!” Yixing said as he balled up his fist and cheered for her. 



Updated with another chapter after quite awhile. I've drafted the ending of the story. I have like two options, and ugh, can't decide. Hope anyone who reads this enjoyed though!

And this chapter is dedicated to another best friend of mine, N.N. She is not in AFF and never will I let her be here. LOL. She's one of the people that I really trust and knows all my dirty secrets. We just love to insult each other. I swear, if you see how we settle our silly fights, you would think that there are two crazy bishes screaming at each other like it's nobody's business. But, I lahv you to the moon and back! Okay, enough telling people about my craziness. Laters.

Updated; September 16
Edited; September 18 
Re-edited; Feb 17