Eleven

Petals and Punches

ELEVEN : OH BROTHER

 

Never had Nana expected a date-dare turned out to be a real date. For her, that is. Luhan and she never exchanged a single sentence; save for a ‘goodbye’ and a ‘see you tomorrow’ in return as the car slowed to a stop near Nana’s hostel. Nana realized as well that her roommate could have this Yura-Inquisition moment when she drilled Nana questions about her day out with the male. With innocent blushes and accidental raised octaves, Yura beamed like a mother whose child is about to get married as Nana re-tells her day’s events.

 

With Yura feeding her ego as the story went on, Nana even showed the elder pictures of her and Luhan before their roller coaster ride, before jumping for her dear life and in Luhan’s car. Cooing at the pictures, Nana wondered what their current status is; how would they interact and how would she even be able to breathe if she gets anywhere near Luhan. She might be ignored and considered as ‘one of Luhan’s toys’ or maybe, just maybe, Luhan would accept her despite her past. Cradling her phone with a wallpaper of her and Luhan, Nana went to dreamland and smiled in her sleep.

 

Hapkido training hours had been multiplied and Nana heard news of Luhan’s and Yixing’s friends coming over to spar with them. Luhan had offered her a ride to the sports complex before training hours and Nana saw that her fingers were shaking when she replied his text. Maybe she was afraid of what would come or maybe she was just afraid that trusting someone too easily would break her like how it did the last time. Pushing the thoughts aside, Nana cleaned herself before Luhan would come over to head off for their training.

 

A lot of cars were parked around the dojang, more than usual that is. Nana even noticed that Yixing’s car was there and she was excited to meet the senior she hasn’t seen for quite a while since the last Arts Club meeting. “My friends are here, look, those cars with a different sticker,” Luhan pointed out to a few cars as Nana looked over them. She did notice different stickers and was indeed nervous to meet Luhan’s friends, what if they thought she was a freak?! Luhan saw the look Nana had on her face and he approached her slowly.

 

Taking her training bag away from her, Luhan smiled as he assured her, “you’ll be fine. The guys would like you. If not, I’ll personally execute their death sentence.” With a wink, he walked off ahead of her, leaving Nana to follow behind with a furious blush she wished would go away immediately. After they had both changed their clothes for more appropriate attire for practice, Luhan once again claimed Nana’s bag and they entered the place to be welcomed by a loud cheering from a bunch of good-looking males. Like seriously, do they like have a ‘Flower Boy Club’ or something?!

 

Going through introductions, Nana tried hard to remember all of their names. The cute yet feisty one; Byun Baekhyun, the adorable yet dorky one; Park Chanyeol who turned out to be Yura’s little brother, the tall and handsome one; Ahn Jaehyo and a cute baozi-like guy; Kim Minseok. Jaehyo and Baekhyun were the only ones who participated in the training; the other two were there to just join in the fun. Yixing was there as well, talking animatedly with his friends. Training hours were over and they all headed off to the cafeteria to fill themselves up. It was really noisy that day.

Speakers blared as the MC of the tournament’s voice was carried out against the four walls of the building. That was the first time ever for Nana to join a competition and she was secretly hypered up yet nervous about it. She and the rest of the Hapkido members were doing their stretching as they listened to the MC explaining the flow on that day. Participants were called out to the arena as they tried out the place; college students of all year, colour and even uniforms pulled out moves while trying to get used to the new dojang. Practice time was over as time passed and Nana was getting more nervous.

 

That year, the tournament was held in Hanyang University and it was indeed a good thing. The students weren’t involved of course, since they’re from outside organizers whose name Nana could hardly remember. Nana was listening to some songs to ease her giddiness at that moment when her earphones were plugged off of her ears and a figure sat down beside her. “You okay there, Nana?” Luhan asked as he popped the ear bud he stole from Nana. She nodded, hesitated and shook her head a little. “Well, Yixing’s here to support you and a few other Arts Club members. So, don’t worry, we’re all here to support you,” he ended it with a smile as he squeezed one side of her shoulder softly.

 

“Really? Oh well, I’d better do my best. It’s just that it’s my first time, and I don’t want to screw this up,” she explained and wondered why would he need one? An explaination that is. “Well, seeing that it’s your first time, you’d wanna make it a memorable one of course. Oh, and make Hanyang proud!” Luhan said yet ending it with another sweet smile as Nana looked away to hide her blush and cheered on Kyungmi instead to distract herself. It was her turn and the rest of them also went through a few rounds easily. Baekhyun was also advancing through the main draw easily and seeing the chart, if there is any luck for the two good friends; Luhan and Baekhyun would go against each other in the finals.

 

A few days have passed and the tournament was coming to a close as it approached the semis. As expected from the top 4 participants from Hanyang, Luhan, another boy nicknamed Chunji, Kyungmi and Nana passed the semi-finals. On that day, the ladies were to go first and then continued by the men. Nana and Kyungmi had both ended their turn with Kyungmi sadly losing although Nana was victorious all the way. It was Luhan’s and Chunji’s turn as the group of fanclub – yes, they still exist – and other students of the university started cheering on them while everyone watched their matches. Luhan won his match as Chunji gasped his way back to their members, carried by a pair of medics.

 

It seemed that he had to forfeit since he got injured and twisted his ankle. Seeing the cute face of Chunji all scrunched up to endure the pain with whines made Nana’s own heart twist as he looked up at all of them and with a cracked voice, he mouthed, “I’m okay.” Nana had to stay away from the scene as she didn’t want to see Chunji hurting and slowly started cleaning up the space the members used during the matches. Long, slender fingers pressed on top of hers as she was collecting empty bottles littered by God knows who everywhere and some were even stuffed under the chairs.

 

“He’s going to be fine, Nana. You have such a soft heart for that stoic look, Nana,” Luhan said as he pulled the bottles and black plastic away from her hands. Luhan pulled her away from their place and slowly, very slowly, his hand crossed over her back and held the other end of her shoulder. “Things like this happen in tournaments, I’ll pay puppy Baek back for hurting him. And smudge those eyeliner on his eyes,” Luhan joked as he held her close. Nana looked up to his brown irises as she took a deep breath from the close distant they were sharing.

 

“It’s not Baekhyun’s fault, and you know that. He was good with the grappling, I could see. No wonder you guys are competitive since your techniques are the same,” Nana commented and slowly her heart untwisted itself with the silly joke Luhan was trying to pull, “plus, he looks pretty with the eyeliner. Leave him alone.” Finally, the smile touched her lips and Luhan smiled back, satisfied with his silly self. That’s the smile I love. Their moment was disturbed as a student approached them and stopped right in front of Nana. “Shim Nana, right? Someone’s here to see you,” and his thumb pointed towards the crowd that were slowly making their way out of the dojang.

 

Both of them turned their back towards the crowd dispersing as a lone figure stood still and smirked as Nana felt the first cold sweat broke from her temple. The similar sandy brown hair, round eyes and that winning smile that you would even trust if he said he’s Barney’s friend. “Xander oppa,” she gasped and felt her knees go weak. Perhaps Luhan saw her reaction that he closed in on her and took her slim fingers into his. “Nana, you okay? Is there something wrong?” He tried asking but to receive no answer. Luhan thanked the male student who came to tell them about the news and he excused himself.

 

“Luhan, I n-need to s-see him,” with that one stuttered sentence, her cold hand left his comforting warmth and started walking aimlessly towards the figure that seemed to have a Piped-Piper spell on her. How Nana longed for Luhan to be by her side to go against her step-brother, but she quickly decided against it as she didn’t want him to meet this, this…whatever this person she could label as. Upon eliminating their distances, Xander had turned his back on her and once again, appearing to be as if on a trance, she followed him like a lost puppy.

 

But instead of adoration on her face, Luhan could see the fear she held; perhaps even anger and submissiveness. Who is that guy?  Luhan followed the two of them silently as he saw them enter a more private area of the dojang and he wondered how in the world did he even found it?! His steps came to a halt just before the double doors, and he heard the whispers Nana and the other male were sharing. “What are you doing here, oppa?!” Nana asked. “I came to visit my dearest sister, of course. I didn’t have the chance to congratulate her while I was away and here I am, just for you, Nana baby.”

 

Those words sent shivers till the core of her very backbone experienced it. “What the hell? I don’t need you here. How did you even found out I’m here?” Nana fought back. “Mom told me, she was clueless at first, but, oh well, Alexander has his ways,” the smirk came again and Nana felt really sick. “So, now you’ve met me, go home and don’t ever come back!” Nana shouted, the whispers turned to a raised voice. “Awww, at least let me hug you first. And who was that pretty boy? Your boyfriend? He seems like a good fighter,” he said as their distance closed in. “Xander oppa, no…” Nana pleaded.

 

“Come on, Nana. You were already mine to begin with. Remember a few years back, when Mom was away?” His voice seemed to drag her into the past as Nana dwelled on the horror of that night. She tried to fight her tears as he hugged her close to him and Nana was already on the verge of vomiting. She was rigid to the touch and Luhan whom had a peek at them was shocked to see Nana’s emotionless feature as the older male hugged her. It hurt Luhan that he could do nothing, but it hurt him even more to see Nana so weak and vulnerable. But his words repeated on his head: You were already mine to begin with.

 



Hello everyone! I'm back after a while. Yup, took me long enough. The story would reach its peak in the next few chapters. Won't be much action, just a little more here and there. I'm sorry if you expected something big from this story. I'll just be going slow and steady with Petals and Punches and end this fic with a good note, hopefully ;)

Updated; October 29
Edited; Feb 19