Five

Petals and Punches

FIVE : HEAD TO HEAD

Words spreaded like wild fire as the news of a female freshman almost defeated the Hapkido President. Indeed, it scarred Choi Siwon’s pride, but at the same time, he accepted the timid girl who introduced herself as ‘Shim Nana’ into the main team. And to this news, it sparked the attention of a certain Voice Dept. major student; Luhan. “You serious, bro?” He asked with a loud yawn to his course mate whose girlfriend was Hapkido’s club member. “Yeah, Gain told me all about it, man. She settled the girls; even Blue Bull Kyungmi, in mere minutes. Plus, even the President gave the girl a pat on the back!” Jo Kwon added.

 

Wow, that’s some girl! To beat the Blue Bull is one thing. But for Siwon hyung to actually pat her back?! “I guess this is serious after all. What’s she like?” Luhan asked, wanting to know his future opponent. “Eh, Gain said something about a warrior hidden behind geeky glasses. Since Gain was in the ladies with her, she gave me the details that later on came with a spank to the back of my head,” he said and Luhan knew not to ask. The Adam couple seriously talks about the grossest stuff between couples and Luhan wanted no part of it.

Weekend arrived, and once again Nana headed off for arts club. She had so much fun painting the flowers across her canvas. It was the symbol of beauty, cherry blossoms, and it really hit Nana’s core since it was the beginning of spring and she could sense what a beautiful spring it would turn out to be indeed. Noon arrived and Nana was done by the time she finger painted the shape of a butterfly at the bottom of her painting using four swipes of her right thumb; her alias. The butterfly that surrounds the flowers is a symbol of freedom to her and she had been using it since she painted her first ever flower.

 

Yixing smiled at her when he came behind her to observe her painting. “You’re very good at this, Nana,” he praised her and Nana felt her cheeks warm. What the hell? Perhaps it’s the fact that no one ever complimented her drawings that Nana found herself blushing at a simple statement of her talent. “Thanks, I guess,” she mumbled and collected her things to clean them. Yixing helped to place other members’ and Nana’s paintings on one side to let them dry off before picking them up later. When she was done, Yixing was already waiting for her at the exit to drive her off to the dojang.

 

“Before you say anything, I order you to get in the car. Never would I let you walk that far,” he said as he opened the car door for her. Nana nodded her head and got in and as Yixing settled on the driver seat, she murmured, “I wasn’t going to decline anyway. It’s scorching hot today.” In mere seconds, he was laughing his head off as he ignited the car and drove off towards the sports complex. Nana noticed that there were many more people this time around, and surprisingly, even outside the dojang itself. Is there some tournament going on in there that I wasn’t aware of?

 

“Ahhh, he’s here. No wonder it’s a full house,” Yixing commented and looked at the car Yixing was staring at. Anywhere she went, the car would be no stranger to her. It was 911 Porsche. My dream car. Nana had almost forgotten that most of the students here are posh kids, and that included Yixing. Yixing chuckled a little before he had gone off ahead of her and she followed right behind. She headed off for the ladies and changed her outfit to more comfortable clothes for practice.

 

When she came into the dojang she heard the once deafening noise died down to wild whispers among the people who were in the dojang and she looked up to see all of them eyeing her like she grew an extra head or two. She tied her hair into a tight ponytail and used another thicker elastic band to pull her hair up into a bun. Nana then stashed her glasses into her bag and bowed to the other members who were there. Up ahead, she saw the President, Yixing with another member who had his back facing her. Settling her stuff on the floor, she stretched a little while approaching the trio.

 

“Nana, there you are. Here, I’d like to introduce you to HYU Hapkido’s MVP…” Siwon said as the third figure turned his head to face her. “You?!” The both of them chorused the same question; Nana with a faint blush and Luhan with a single raise of his eyebrow. “Wait, wait. So, you guys know each other?” Yixing asked and the two of them shot him a look, “NO!” Once again, they said it simultaneously. “I see. Oh well, even if you already have, let’s go through the formal introductions. Shim Nana, Chemical Engineering; Luhan, Voice Department,” Siwon motioned to the both of them and Nana bowed out of respect.

 

“The tomboy on interview day, I remember you now,” Luhan said as a coy smile displayed on his lips. “That’s right, Marilyn Monroe,” Nana shot back and everyone in the room gasped; well except for Siwon and Yixing who were both laughing out loud. “You did not just…” and before Luhan could finish his sentence, Nana retaliated, “I just did, Mr. Luhan, I just did,” “Oh God, oh praise the Lord *wipe tears away* oh Nana, I like you already!” The President said as he gave Nana a pat on her back. “Sorry, Lu, she’s good,” Yixing’s laughter rang through Luhan’s reddening ears.

 

“Just because you’re prett …I mean just because you’re a girl, doesn’t mean I won’t kick your a*s, little lady,” Luhan mentally slapped himself for the almost-slip. Yeah, he almost slipped the word ‘pretty’ to this Nana girl. Kwonnie really needs to hear his girlfriend talk properly than just drooling at the sight of Gain. Luhan could secretly admit that the girl standing before him is a total beauty. Luhan, what the hell?! She’s a downright, rough tomboy and you only like cute, petite and demure girls. You need a check up, man. He told himself as he looked back into the brown hazel eyes of Shim Nana.

 

“Well, challenge’s accepted then,” Nana stated and Luhan’s eyes widened. Definitely, not my type. “Whoa, whoa, there. Hold your horses, people. We’ll get on the fight later, we have some basics to go over with,” Siwon came in between the two and separated them. Yixing excused himself with a chuckle and a wave at Nana as he left. “Okay, come on, everyone. Let’s begin today’s session!” Siwon’s voice roared as everyone gathered around the leader and the practice began. In all of the clubs available, why, why, do I have to be in the same club as you, Luhan? I hate your existence.

 

As the clock struck two in the afternoon, both Luhan and Nana were panting for air as they both jumped back to avoid any attacks from each other. They were having a full contact sparring and going head to head, both of them knew that they were the same; they use the ‘hard’ techniques which is considered to be similar to Taekwondo and Tang Soo Do. Nana knew that she had to change her style; she had to use the ‘soft’ approach and then finish him off with a ‘hard’ one. She approached him, jumping slightly on her toes. Luhan attacked first and sent her head a side kick and she stumbled.

 

Must not lose footing! All the memories of self-taught Hapkido came back to her as she pretended to stumble back as she let herself fall, turned back, quickly gained her footing and were in equilibrium; and sent Luhan’s chest a side kick. He staggered back and regained his post as Nana approached him and gave him a few short yet firm kicks to his abdomen. As she closed in, she felt his hands on her and Nana felt both her legs were in mercy of Luhan’s as one hand held her hip and the other leg trapped the leg that kept her balanced. In seconds, he gave her his signature grappling technique and slammed both of them to the floor.

 

“Stop!” Youngwon shouted and pulled Luhan away from Nana, indicating that the winner was already decided. Nana thanked her chest protector for not giving away her fluttering messy heartbeat at the close contact she had with Luhan and scowled at herself. Luhan held his hand out to her and she took it, dismissing the zing of electricity that seemed to spark every time the two of them had any kind of skin ship. Nana quickly let go of his hand and stood right beside him while listening to Siwon’s predicament.

 

“For the final round, Luhan receives 3 full points; each for submission grappling, one for a fully controlled take down and another one for a kick. Nana was just ½ point behind since the last 35 seconds from the grappling Luhan did,” and he seemed to pause for effect, “so, Luhan is the winner!” he announced and the hall was filled with cheers and chants of Luhan’s name. Personal fan club? Seriously? And the cheer went on even after they bowed to each other as a sign of respect and Luhan flashed Nana a victorious smile that she felt like kicking him on the face.

 

And since then, Nana had been Luhan’s constant opponent every weekends and he even asked her to come out to the dojang to spar with him during weekdays. They were always seen together, and Nana didn’t know what the whole fuss was about. They just happen to be practicing Hapkido while rumours flew around that everyone in both the Engineering department and Music department were talking about Luhan and Nana. If only people knew better, Luhan and Nana were like cats and dogs; never once would they have a civilized conversation without ending up with a few scratches or bruises after the actual spar session.

 

“Oh yeah, what’s your number anyway, Nana? It’s so difficult to contact you and Engineering students are so weird,” Luhan said once after they finished sparring on Thursday evening. “What do you mean ‘weird’?” She shot back as he glanced at her. “Seriously, they’re like a bunch of weirdos when I talk to them, even mutated weirder if I request for them to tell you about our practice. Super weird, I’m lucky I’m not in Engineering,” he pretended to shiver from a cold and laughed on his own. “It’s not my fault they are weird, and I don’t have a phone,” big fat liar Nana.  “What?!” He stopped and Nana clashed onto Luhan’s back. See what I mean?

 

“Ouch, Luhan, watch where you’re going!” Nana screeched and Luhan replied, “no, you watch where you’re going and you don’t have a phone?” Nana was about to reply as her hands came together to rub her left wrist, but that move caused Nana’s bag to trip open and vomited everything inside, including her devil of a phone that decided to make a grand entrance by slowly falling into the large gutter near the parking. “No!” Nana yelped and went down on all four to watch her 5 years buddy swallowed by the filthy monsters that ruled the gutter. “And you were saying?” Luhan asked as he tapped his feet beside her. “Well, not anymore, I guess,” she grunted and Luhan pulled her back up to stand. “Then, we have a shopping to do!” He said and pushed her into his car.



It's been two days since the last update right? Well, I'm just having fun with the ideas pouring out. Oh, and I've edited the previous chapter since there were many mistakes; didn't proof-read before updating. And must not repeat the same mistake, sorry. I just changed a few things, mostly 'Lay' to 'Yixing'. Only people calling Yixing 'Lay' would be written as Lay. Along the story, Lay will stay as Yixing. Oh God, they're the same guy yet I'm making a fuss out of it. Sorry again.

This chapter is dedicated to the owner of the writing contest I'm writing this story for. I'm spewing crap yet no one really judges, so, I'm having fun all the way on my way. Yay! Okay *bricked* Enough from me. Laters ~  

Updated; September 18
Edited; Feb 18