Two

Petals and Punches

TWO : FLOWER BOY...GIRL?!

True to her words, Nana was correct when she predicted that her step-mother would relay the news about her college acceptance to her step-brother. She would never understand how her once sweet and overprotective step-brother became a beast with human mask, a wolf behind a sheep mask. She would also never understand why her step-mother pretended to be nice to her, when she should have started being Cinderella’s step-ogre from the very beginning. Nana even actually left out the information about the name of her university and her scholarships privilege.

 

God knows what those two masterminds would plot next if they knew about that piece of information. Nana shook her head as she set her focus back on her painting. She could hear her step-mother’s voice downstairs; reporting the details to her son. Nana tried her best to shut the sound out and focus back on her drawing. She was halfway done, and she would never leave any of her paintings undone. Then her thoughts flew back to the scene at school where she saw her name on the list. The interview is scheduled in another 3 weeks time, and Nana, despite the stoic and calm feature she was masking, was actually quivering with excitement.

 

The entrance is based on : first an entrance exam, later on, an interview and that’s when they decide to pick their new batch of students. The university system would also go through school record which is quite a difficulty for Nana due to her past, but, she was determined to prove her best with her results and to ace the interview. She was hoping for a new life; where she would respect people and they would give it back to her in response, where she would hope there wouldn’t be any discrimination, where she is accepted. Nana just wanted to forget her past; which was a lackluster fairy tale.

 

Her hand moved on its own accord and she was done with her painting. She sighed deeply and leaned back a little to admire it. Once again, she was satisfied with her work, hell, she would always be satisfied with them and she doesn't care about those who would judge her – not that anyone would if they could classify the differences between influence and talent. Nana stretched her arms and legs with a contented groan. She felt like she needed some good exercise before her muscles actually rot and rust. Then, a shrill voice calling for her came from downstairs.

 

Oh yes, time for dinner. She thought to herself and got up from the square stool. Clearing , she replied a loud, “coming!”

 

Two weeks flew by swiftly and much to Nana’s concern, it rained that day. It’s a good sign, don’t worry, Nana. She told herself and sprayed a little perfume on her wrists, the back of her palms and neck. She breathed into the scent of her personal preference; lavender. Symbolizing calmness, that was what Nana needed at that time and even each and every time, especially when she has to mix around with people. She need calmness, a lot. Nana barely engages in any conversation and it is quite difficult to hear her talk. Some even gossiped about her being mute. Rude much? She thought as she grabbed on the bag which contained her clothes for the interview.

 

It was just drizzling outside, and Nana thought she could handle it; after declining her step-mother’s ‘sincere’ offer to drop her off at the university to attend the interview on time. The campus was situated on the main state; Seoul, the city which she never even dreamt of reaching out for but at that moment, everything became possible to her. She was not going to withdraw this time around and escape for sure. At the crack of dawn, with all the necessities needed present for the interview in one bag and her outfit in another bag, she was ready to begin her journey. It shouldn’t have taken an ever-nervous Nana along with other more than half a dozen passengers a long time to reach their destination and Nana almost broke down into tears when the country bus actually decided to break down in the middle of nowhere!

 

But luckily, an emergency bus came to their rescue and they were loaded out of the old bus and into the slightly better bus to continue on with their journey. As the journey resumed, Nana pulled her cap lower to her face and plugged in the earphones of her MP3 and replayed Ailee’s I Will Show You as a sense of inspiration. She bobbed her head and hummed softly to the song while staring out the window and smiled to herself. She was just a few miles away from home, but she already felt the freedom crawling on her skin.

 

The 2-hour bus journey finally touched down in Seoul and Nana was fascinated at the sight of the metal skyscrapers that loomed above her with the rows of buildings with numerous height differences and vibrant banners, headboards, signs on shops and even the unlit streetlights gave the surrounding a lively feeling. Nana wondered what it would be like if it was night time instead. If a bright morning could give me such multihued visions, I wonder what would the night time offer me. A quiet voice thought within her as she moved her sight from the window as the bus came to a stop.

 

At the bus station, she hopped onto a local bus which was routed for the Hanyang University; somewhere around Seongdong-gu. Another sightseeing slash off-to-interview journey, Nana stared out the window on the green bus, with her cap still on and earphones corked in. The grandiose entrance stood out as the bus approached the university ground. Nana got up and did what she saw others before her do; she rang the bell closest to her as she got up and the bus came to a halt. As Nana descended the bus, she thanked the driver. Entering the university, she stepped into the compound and didn’t even notice that she held her breath in for quite a while.

 

As she walked on towards the guardhouse, she asked for the direction and was set for the supposed place for the interview. She walked on, crossing paths with a huge green field fitted for a football match with adjoining tracks encircling the large green lawn. Sprinklers protruded from the greenery and it gave the field a great view as the sprinklers glittered with water, bursting with droplets of crystal-like splashes. That was on her right side and to her left, the lake was laid out across the green park. There was no one at that time, but the view was spectacular.

 

Her 15-minute walk was sunshaded by lines of huge trees as she finally arrived at the large Chancellor complex and looked out for the washroom. She followed the sign of the lady with the skirt illustration downstairs. Nana felt the heat rising and a free hand flew to her cap as she was about to take it off. As soon as she was getting ready to enter the ladies, suddenly she felt a hand clasp on her shoulder. Of all the things Shim Nana liked the most about skin ship, a hand placed on the shoulder is the one that she essentially detest the most.

 

According to Nana’s logic, it’s either this person is out of his or her mind or this person is not afraid of losing his or her finger. Added with the fact that this person might not know any form of martial arts, Nana would go easy on him or her. If it’s a guy, then it would be too soft on him, if it’s a girl instead, then Nana would apologize later. Judging by the fingers, it would probably be a girl. Well, sorry then, babe. Nana thought as the fingers that were caressing her cap previously travelled downwards, heading for the slender fingers. She forced a supination on the wrist and Nana knew that the force would be transferred towards the forearm of the person behind her which would cause a radioulnar rotation, easier said: inflicts pain plus induces a scream or a shout. Better yet, a curse. 

 

The last thing she expected was for the person to alleviate the lock Nana had firmly applied on the other’s hand. “That’s the ladies, dude,” soft, velvety yet firm voice echoed as they were both in a series of wrist locking battle. Oh, I see I got the wrong gender then. Nana thought as she twisted her way around. “Then, that’s where I belong,” Nana snapped and they finally faced each other. Staring right back at her, his adorable features actually made her jealous of his existence. His golden brown locks tousled well companied with puppy brown round eyes, a cute semi-concave nose, with luscious red lips. Not that I even noticed any of it. They let go of each other’s hands simultaneously after an extra fraction of time holding on to one another.

 

“My apologies miss…,” as if he was expecting her to answer, but Nana left it at that before the guy ahead of her could catch her name and she kept staring at his appealing beauty. Stop it, Nana. Get a grip of yourself. And what is this weird feeling anyway? She felt like there were shivers swarming up to her against her skin, like thrilling static surging up in her body when they held hands. Nana shook her head and stepped right into the ladies, leaving the male behind her – probably – dumbstruck by her reaction. Then, she heard whispers of the other girls who were in the washroom together with her. Mentioning something about a certain ‘deer’ or ‘something-han’ but Nana ignored them and continued with her preparation.

 

Entering an open stall, she changed into a – luckily – still non-wrinkled white button up blouse compiled together with a pair of long black pant that she bought with the money she stored away in case of emergency because she knew her step-mother or step-brother wouldn’t even bother. With her hair down and her glasses off, she stepped out of the stall to use the large mirror above the sinks. Several girls actually looked her way but she just ignored them. There they go again, they’re probably judging me. Fine, these are second hands, but don’t stare. Nana thought and she reached out for a fish net to tie a bun up. Although at times, she'd prefer cream in her bun.

 

Combing through her hair with extra measures, she settled for a neater bun than what she usually settled for during school and used a few pins to manage the few strings of wild brown ringlets of her hair that seemed to be having a mind of their own and messing up her whole secretary image. She applied a few make up; the basics mainly, some foundation she self-borrow from her step-mother, compact powder, a touch of eyeliner wouldn’t hurt, and finally slapped on some lip balm on her puckered up lips. Collecting her things and stuffing them back into her bag pack, Nana was ready to head for the interview.

 

Lining up with the rest of the other students to enter the Chancellor Hall, Nana looked around towards the other candidates. Entering the hall together, she could see the majestic stage right in front of her as they were ushered to climb up a few stairs to their seating location. They were briefed through on a lot of topics which Nana paid attention to but took none into her memory. She was too anxious for the moment to come for the interviews to begin. The other candidates around her, as she noticed, were as jumpy as she was as they actually shook when the MC announced something into the microphone at the podium below them.



A chapter dedicated to a best friend of mine, D.N, who is always there to support me when no one was there. The one who puts up with my fan girling moments when we like the totally opposite things. The one who never got away. Thanks, dear. I hope our friendship would bloom as the years pass. Love you loads, D.N. May God bless you. Amen.

P.S Just so you guys know, I've never been to Hangyang University and I've never participated in Hapkido. I just happen to use these sites   to aid me in this chap. Credits to them for being amazingly informative. And as for the scenery in the university, I'm actually using my own uni. I find it more convenient, since it might be bad if I imagine something else because I have a bad imagination. And all the experiences Nana went through like the grand entrance, the guardhouse, walking to the complex, the Chancellor Hall, interviews and soon many more to be mentioned in the future, they are mostly based on my own university and my own experiences. So, I'd like to apologize before I create any confusions.

Thank you 

Updated; August 31
Edited; Feb 17