Chapter 6

Forgotten

 

 

Chapter SIX


 

 

Weeks had passed since I started attending school, and I’m glad I’m spending each day of it with Suho—him, from being a customer to classmates, and now as close friends. We attend the same classes, eat lunch together and leave the school together. It was always fun having him as a company. It seems like every day I spent with him gave me the breakthrough of knowing him better and better. It seems like I have already known him for a long time.

 

“Two years ago, I left the country to pursue a business course which my father wants me to do. Since he’s an entrepreneur, he wants me to follow his footsteps of handling the family business.” Suho told me. We were in the library doing research for a minor subject. We don’t have a class for the last subject so we’ve decided to spend the rest of the hours in the library to do the research and also to chill out.

 

“Don’t you have any siblings?” I asked, looking at him while playing the pencil.

 

“I have a younger brother. Actually, I’ve already confessed to my mother that I don’t want to pursue what my father wants me to be. I loved painting, and I want to pursue this field. But since the expectations are all on me, I followed his request and studied business.” Suho rested his head on his hand, arms resting on the table. He was doing doodles on a piece of scratch paper.

 

“But it’s only been two years. How come you’re here taking up a different course? Did your father finally agreed for you to pursue Fine Arts?” I asked, suddenly getting curious.

 

“He’s not actually opposing to my liking in art. I was just giving it a try if I can do betterby studying business. But after two years in the field, I realized I’m just giving myself a hard time. Business is actually fun, like really. But then my heart doesn’t belong to it. In the end, it is painting that I have chosen.”

 

“Then what about your father’s expectation?”

 

“Well, it’s actually like this. When my brother finished high school, he told our father that he’s willing to study business. My brother has been a witness how I was striving to learn business, and he knew so well how I important is painting for me. So after graduation, he confessed to me that I don’t need to push myself anymore. He wants to pursue business so that he’ll inherit father’s position.”

 

“Isn’t that good? You should be thankful to your brother. I know he deserves it since he’s so keen at it. Your father must be very happy.” I said.

 

“Yeah, he is. It was a big relief in my part, but there’s also a part where I feel sorry for my brother.” Suho sighed out.

 

“Why?”

 

“Because now that he’s following our father’s wish, I feel sorry for him that all expectations are on him now.This situation made me think I’m a not a being a good brother to him. I’m thinking that he’s doing this because he feels pity for me.”

 

“You said that he loves business way more than you, right?” I asked him. He nodded. “Then, you shouldn’t be thinking it that way. Just think of how much effort he is doing on his studies, then you as his brother, should also be doing the same effort. In the end, I can foresee that you’ll both end up as successful persons. Your father will be very proud of his sons.”

 

Suho slowly turned at me. He smiled. “Thanks for reassuring me, Daeun.”

 

Seeing him intently staring at me, I looked away. It will be very embarrassing if he could see the blush starting to creep up my cheeks. “You should be happy since you’re finally here to pursue your dream. Am I r-right?”

 

He sighed out and rested his head on his folded arms. “I came back here to pursue Fine Arts, with also the purpose of seeing the girl I loved.”

 

I eyed him, my ears perking up. “You have a girlfriend you left here?” I don’t know what came into me, but why am I asking him this question? Hearing such revelation gave my heart some irregular jolts. A part of me just didn’t want to hear it, but curiosity just got the best of me.

 

He sighed, nodding his head. “Yes, I have. But sad to know, she’s not the same girl I’ve met before.”

 

“How come?” Another more question, then I’ll really give myself a facepalm later.

 

Suho looked at me for seconds and slowly opened his mouth to answer. “She has forgotten me.”

 

I paused. Is… is that even possible? “Are you talking about her purposely ignoring you?”

 

He shook his head. “I’m saying definite, she has literally forgotten me.”

 

I looked at him at wonder. What is he talking about? The girl forgot about him? That his girlfriend totally forgotten about his existence? Is he playing jokes on me again?

 

Then the bell rang.

 

I was about to dig further about this matter but Suho quickly gathered his things. “I’m leaving first. I told my mother I’ll be calling her on the phone by five. See you tomorrow, Daeun.”

 

Before I could even reply, he was already gone. “See you around, Suho.” I whispered.

 

-

 

I was walking my way to our shop from the school. What Suho told me earlier about his girlfriend sparked my curiosity. I don’t know if I’m going to believe it but as I remembered the look on his face, I can sense that he’s serious about it and it’s not just a small matter.

 

As I reached the park where the wall of paintings is located, I saw him. Thinking that he may see me, I quickly hid myself behind the tree. What is he doing here?

 

I peeked at him, curious why he is here. He was standing there alone, hands firmly tucked inside his pockets. He was staring at the wall, and he has that serious look on his face. With my eyebrows furrowing, I followed his gaze.

 

Suho was staring at that wall which I had stared too from the last time, the same wall where it was labeled as the winner of the contest. I looked back at him, trying to read his thoughts on that blank expression.

 

After a few minutes of standing there, he let out a sigh and walked away.

 

Assuring that he’s already gone, I walked out of my hiding spot and went in front of that certain wall, seeing that beautiful butterfly pattern. I eyed the painting in wonder. What’s with this painting that made Suho stare at it? Why this painting looked so familiar to me? What’s the relation of this to Suho?