Chapter 2

Forgotten

 

 

Chapter TWO


 

That night, I dreamed.

 

I was happily painting on the plain-white wall with my paintbrush, humming to my favorite song. I don’t know what day it is or where exactly I am right now, but I look rather younger and my hair was a little shorter. I dipped the paintbrush on the cup of paint I was holding before brushing it again unto the wall, tracing the outline which was drawn by a pencil. I hummed again, my heart feeling so light and at ease.

 

A small squeak of protest came out of me when I suddenly felt warm arms wrapping around my waist, someone back hugging me. “Hey, you scared me!”

 

I felt him leaning closer to me, his head resting on my shoulder. “I’m sorry. Did I scare you that much?”

 

I giggled. “No. It’s because I didn’t noticed you coming.” I lifted my right hand to ruffle his hair—it felt so smooth against my fingers. “Better release me now; you still have to help me with this wall.”

 

“Why don’t we take a break first? Hmm?” he said, snuggling his face on my neck. It tickled. “I brought food.”

 

“Really?” I asked, my eyes glistening in anticipation.

 

He nodded. “I don’t want my girl to get hungry.” He plunged his head deeper, inhaling my scent. “I love you, Areum.”

 

I flinched.

 

Areum? He called me Areum?

 

I gently wriggled out of his arms to see his face, my heart beating so fast. But once I turned around, everything suddenly starts to fade in brightness.

 

 

Then I woke up.

 

 

I was lying down on my bed, facing the window where sun rays are beaming from the outside. I blinked my eyes, trying to regain my senses back. What kind of dream was that?

 

I sat up from my bed and pondered for a minute. Is that going to happen if I’m going to have a boyfriend? That was a really strange dream.

 

Concluding that maybe it’s just a random dream after all, I started my day like I usually does.

 

-

 

Mom and I were eating breakfast. She was doing some paper works while I watched her, at the same time munching onto my toast bread.

 

“Do you have something to tell me?” she asked, not leaving her sight from the paper works. She must’ve noticed me staring at her.

 

I swallowed down my food and nodded. “I had a strange dream, Mom.”

 

“What dream?”

 

“That I had a boyfriend. He was so sweet and caring. He loves art too.” I said, observing her reaction.

 

She stopped working on the papers and looked at me, her eyebrows furrowing. “Have you seen his face?”

 

I shook my head. “I haven’t. I tried to look at his face but then I woke up. It’s really weird.”

 

She sighed out, resuming on her work. “That’s a waste. Maybe you could dream of him again.”

 

I chuckled. “I certainly hope not. I haven’t even got myself a boyfriend. That’s hilarious.”

 

She sighed again. “Yeah, pretty hilarious, you say.”

 

“Mom,” I called her.

 

“Hmm.”

 

“There was this guy yesterday in the shop. He purchased an item but he suddenly left without getting his change and receipt. I tried to run after him but he already disappeared.” I told her before sipping on my juice.

 

“Do you happen to know that guy?” She asked me.

 

“No. But do you know what’s weird, Mom? The way he looked at me, it’s very… unusual, like he knows me or something. It’s creeping me out.” I cringed.

 

She laughed, looking at me. “You know what, dear. We meet random customers every day and some of them are pretty weird people. You said that guy forgot to get his change? Perhaps he’s going to go back and get it. Do you remember his face?”

 

I nodded. “Of course, I can’t forget him.”

 

“Well, I hope you do so.”

 

-

 

I waited the entire day for his appearance, but he didn’t show up in the shop. Same thing goes at the next day, then Thursday too. I’m starting to wonder maybe he has forgotten about it.

 

Friday came; I and my mother went to the supermarket to do some groceries after closing the shop. She was carefully choosing some items ahead while I’m just pushing the cart forward, following her tail. After almost an hour of strolling and picking the items, we headed for the cashier to purchase them.

 

When the packing was done, I placed the bags into the cart again. I was leisurely placing them one by one when out of my peripheral vision, something peculiar caught my eyes. I stopped picking the bags and focused my sight on his familiar figure.

 

That guy, I thought. After his encounter back in the shop, it’s almost impossible to forget him.

 

I dropped the bag I was holding into the cart and walked after him, seeing him entering the entrance to the grocery area.

 

“Wait!” I yelled, speeding my strides.

 

“Daeun!” I felt a strong hand holding my arm, stopping me. I turned around and met my mother’s eyes. “Where are you going?”

 

“Mom, I saw him!” I pointed towards the entrance.

 

“Who’s him?” she asked me, getting aware of some people now watching us.

 

“That guy who forgot to retrieve his change, that guy I told you last time.” I retorted.

 

“Well then, where is he?” she asked impatient.

 

“I saw him right there!” I pointed to the entrance again. Mom followed my gaze.

 

I heard her sigh out. “Maybe you’re just imagining things, dear.”


“No, I really saw him!”

 

“Then where did he go? Oh dear, come on now. Let’s go home, it’s getting late.” Mom gently pulled my hand, heading towards the exit while she pushed the cart forward.

 

I looked back to where I saw his figure. Maybe Mom was right, I’m just imagining things. Sighing out, I followed Mom and insisted to push the cart for her instead.