Chapter 3

Forgotten

 

 

Chapter THREE


 

 

 

I was in my room doing some painting unto the canvass, all the while listening to some instrumentals playing on the speakers. It was a nice Sunday afternoon, and I’m spending most of the day by finishing an artwork. I was currently doing a painting of a garden, filling it with different colors to illustrate the blooming flowers like how it does in the start of spring.

 

I’ve been keeping my mind void and must be focus unto my artwork when a sudden thought of him just popped out.

 

Why that guy does have this kind of effect on me? Why do I keep thinking of him?

 

Then I heard the door open, seeing my mom entering with a tray of food. “How’s it going, dear?”

 

“Oh, I’m almost done Mom.” I told her, somewhat stuttering.

 

She placed the tray on the bed and came closer to see my work. “This is very impressive. Ohwait, and this place looks familiar.” She studied.

 

“It is? How come?”

 

“This post right here,” she pointed on my painting, “it looks like the one at your high school garden. And this building right here,” she pointed again. “It looks like the butterfly sanctuary in your school, just like what it was next to the garden.”

 

“Really?” I muttered, taken aback.

 

“Can’t you remember?”

 

I shook my head. “There was a butterfly sanctuary in my school? Actually, I’ve drawn this without referring or copying to any place. This picture just came out of my head.” I eyed my painting and awed.

 

“Well, didn’t you use to say that you often visit the garden when you were in high school?”

 

I sighed out. “I can’t remember when I said that.”

 

-

 

Mom and I were in the shop on this one fine Tuesday morning. She was on the phone calling Dad just when I entertained the last customer liningthe counter that moment. She came back to me after saying her goodbye.

 

“Your daddy just landed in Australia early this morning. He called from the airport and said that he was stuck for two hours due to the outnumbered passengers and late hotel service.” She said, checking the receipts I was printing.

 

“Today was that art summit, right? A lot of people came. The event place must be really crowded.” I supposed, trying to imagine the situation.

 

“Yeah, he was stuck up so he decided to call.” She chuckled. “What time is it now?”

 

I checked time on the computer. “It’s almost twelve.”

 

“Alright, I better get some food for lunch. Stay here, okay? I ordered some Chinese food from that new restaurant two blocks away. I’m going to get it.” She grinned.

 

“Wow!Chinese Food!” I clapped. “Okay Mom, I’ll watch the store for the meantime.”

 

I watched her get the wallet and waved at me, heading to the door. After seeing her disappear, I grabbed my sketchpad and made doodles again. A few minutes passed by, not minding a few people coming in and out of the shop.

 

“Excuse me. I’m going to buy these.”

 

I looked up to the customer and gawked. “Oh,” he was that guy, the one who suddenly left without getting his change. He’s finally back, looking really simple in his white tee and cargo pants. “Good to see you, mister.” I smiled.

 

He smiled back, touching his nape. “Uh, yeah. You remembered me?”

 

“Of course! You’re a customer who purchased a framed canvass last week. Do you know you forgot to retrieve your change?”

 

He nodded, sighing out. “Right, I forgot to get it.”

 

I pulled the cupboard from the records desk, taking out the envelope for him. “Here.” I gave it to him. “It contains your change and receipt from your last purchase. I’ve been anticipating for you to comeback. I thought you’ve forgotten about it.”

 

He chuckled, shaking his head. “I haven’t forgotten. Thanks.”

 

“So,” I looked down on his items. “Are you going to buy them?”

 

He nodded. “Yes please.”

 

He bought three pieces of charcoal pencils, a set of poster colors and a piece of binder notebook. After placing them in the bag, while getting his receipt, “If you don’t mind, you look familiar to me. Do I happen to know you or something?”

 

He looked at me and blinked. “Actually, a lot of people say I look like one of those people they know. I get that a lot.”

 

“Really? Oh, pardon me then.” I bit my lip, feeling embarrassed. I took his payment after showing him the screen where the total price is shown.

 

“It’s okay. You’re not the only one who says that.” He laughed.

 

I gave him his receipt and change, making sure he got them this time. “Here you go. Well, thank you for coming here.”

 

“Thank you.” He slipped the money and envelope in his pocket, now heading to the door.

 

I watched him left, suddenly feeling the urge to ask him again. I can’t help myself and I called out, “Excuse me.”

 

He was already holding the handle of the glass door when he looked back, “Yes?”

 

“May…” I stuttered. “May I know your n-name?”

 

He flashed me a smile and said, “My name is Suho.”