Helping Hands

Love At Sea

 

            Tiffany and I watched as our ships were being remade to be put together.

 

Everyday on the island we stayed on, it was filled with noise from cutting wood, knocking down walls, hammering and even constant sighing and groaning with all the work everybody had to do.

 

It was kind of heartbreaking to see the ship that I practically called my home to be torn apart. I even had to look away as my sail was taken away for the last time…at that moment, a wave of heartache splashed around me. But warmth enveloped my hand, when I looked to my side, I found Tiffany to be smiling at me for comfort. I smiled back and held her hand tightly. Everything is worth it if it was for Tiffany.

 

30 days passed for our construction. 30 days of non-stop hard work for my and Tiffany’s crew. I crawled out of the tent Tiffany and I made and hurried down farther up into the shore, looking at our progress. I grinned contently as our ship was almost completely done with the body was fully constructed and only the main deck was left to be finished. I stared at it with a content smile and breathed deeply. “Hello, new ship.”

 

 “Nya!” A cute familiar voice exclaimed behind me, followed by a pair of arms wrapped around my neck. I smiled even wider as I turned to meet the person behind me.

 

“Why are you awake early?” I asked, pulling Tiffany closer. She smiled at me sweetly before opening to reply.

 

“I woke up too early and found you still asleep beside me so I decided to take a walk. Guess what I found while I was strolling through the forest.” She quickly pulled out a yellow begonia flower from her sling bag and held it in front of me. I couldn’t help but smile as the memories of our date during that night flooded through my head.

 

I gently took the flower from her and tucked it in her hair, allowing the color to make her face even more radiant. Tiffany looked at me with pink cheeks, smiling slightly. I chuckled at the flushed person in front of me and caressed her face. “You’re beautiful.”

 

My heart fluttered as she looked away out of bashfulness along with her cheeks developing into a beautiful shade of scarlet. I chuckled slightly at the sight and started to lean, wanting to capture her lips.

 

“Kim Taeyeon!! Why do you keep doing PDA with my sister?!” I pulled away immediately, hearing that sergeant’s voice.

 

Tiffany and I turned to the source of the sound and found our first mates to be meters away, supposedly coming from the ship. I scratched my head out of annoyance. This is more than the 10th time they’ve interrupted our moments.

 

As soon as they reached us, Yuri stepped beside me and put me to a headlock. “I’m happy for you, dear friend but I don’t like looking directly at you guys.” She laughed and tightened her lock around my neck.

 

“Ah! Yuri, get off!!” I shouted, trying to push her away. “Why do you keep doing this to me if even I’m older than you!?”

 

“Two words. I’m taller.” I stomped my feet unto the ground as soon as I heard that phrase.

 

“KWON YURI, GET OFF ME!!”

 

Beside me, a fit of giggles burst out. I quickly turned to who was amused and found Tiffany to be red, trying to breathe through her laughs. I was devastated to find that even my girlfriend wasn’t even helping me. “Tiffany, how could you laugh at this!” I exclaimed, still in Yuri’s headlock.

 

“You two are just…so…silly!” She managed to say through her giggles.

 

“Oh, would you look at that, Taeyeon? Your own lover is enjoying the sight of you being helpless like this!” Yuri said with triumph before giving me a noogie.

 

I pushed Yuri away with all my strength and glared at her as I fixed myself up. “Alright that’s enough fun, guys.” Jessica announced. I turned to her, completely appalled.

 

“YOU CALL THIS FUN—“

 

“Enough distractions, Taeyeon.” Jessica quickly cut me off before I could throw a fit, making me fold my arms and stomp my feet, getting filled with anger. “Some of the carpenters need some rest since they are on the verge of becoming ill so we have to cover for them. There’s only a few things needed to be done today and they’re not very heavy tasks so we can finish them our selves.”

 

Tiffany, who had just recovered from too much laughing, turned to Sica. “What? Sis!! I’m not good with woodwork!!”

 

“Then you just have to ask Taeyeon for help. Right now, we have to cut up floorboards, make the wooden fences, make doors if we can, double check the ship for any leaks and if we do find some, we need to fix that up and…you two will have to come up with your ship’s name and flag.”

 

As soon as Jessica announced that, my anger disappeared and turned to Tiffany, realizing that we actually haven’t even discussed what our ship is going to be known as. She slowly turned to me, after meeting my eyes, we both looked at each other the same way: slightly uneasy.  

 

“So let’s get started. Yuri and I will cut up floorboards and you two can probably start checking on those leaks.” Jessica finished before gesturing Yuri to follow her and started walking away.

 

I cut through the tension between Tiffany and I, giving a smile and gently taking her hand and said, “Shall we?”

 

~~~

 

            We got in the incomplete ship’s body and started to walk around inside it, look for any water to be squirting in or flooding the floor. As we strolled in, hand-in-hand, I analyzed Tiffany’s face and found it to be slightly distracted. Even I was actually. I couldn’t stop brainstorming ideas for our ship and at the same time, wondering if the name was okay with Tiffany.

 

I held up the lamp in my other arm, moving it closer to the wooden walls of the hull to inspect any reflection of water. We were doing our jobs but we were too silent. Even though I was also thinking of ideas, I can’t help but feel that the silence was deafening my heart. I needed to hear her thoughts and voice out loud. We’re never silent if we’re together.

 

So I opened my mouth and took the first step. “So what have you thought up so far?”

 

Tiffany lifted her head from daydreaming by staring at the floor, startled. “Huh—oh, nothing quite real actually. The names I’ve thought up of might a bit…weird to you.”

 

“Like what?”

 

I turned to her, wanting to see her face as she said possible names for our future ship. She struck an expression of nervousness before saying the first name, “The Atlantic Gem.” I giggled, realizing that it was an attempt to combine our names.

 

“That’s not bad. It’s a good one actually.”

 

“A good one? You laughed!” She whined.

 

“No! Really! It’s good!” I denied. It really was. But it sounded like a cute name, not a name for a fierce pirate ship.

 

She sighed and stared. “You say a name this time.”

 

“Hm…Trident of the Atlantic.”

 

She looked at me, biting her lip to stop from laughing. “Oh c’mon, what’s wrong with Trident of the Atlantic?” I asked with a raised eyebrow. She chuckled and shook her head.

 

“It sounds tougher than we want to look. Just like The Atlantic Compass.” She grinned.

 

“What?! The Atlantic Compass was a very tough ship!” I argued.

 

“Which was defeated by a ship called Poseidon’s Gem. A name that was as tough as a honey bear.” She laughed slightly.

 

I stood still and sighed, knowing that every word of that statement was true.

 

“I think it’s going to be a while ‘til we can agree on a name.”

 

~~~

 

            (Yuri’s POV)

 

            I continuously pulled the saw back and forth on the wood that I placed on the workbench, wanting to split it into a size fit for a floorboard. After a few repeats of my action, the wood finally fell off and I let out a loud sigh. “Alright, this is my 8th board and I’m already wearing down. Get pumped, Kwon Yuri!” I said to myself and plopped down the board I just cut up before placing a new sheet of wood on the bench.

 

“Cut this up in 30 seconds, okay? 1…2…3!” I gripped the saw tightly and moved it backwards and forwards at my top speed. I hurried up as the countdown in my head screaming out the last few seconds but finally, the piece of the wood dropped down right at the last second. “YES!” I shouted in success, hopping in my place with the saw still in my hand.

 

Right then, a giggle went through my ear. A sound that was coming from behind me.

 

I turned around, finding Jessica to be chuckling as she cut up her wood in a moderate pace. I put my saw down and approached her quietly. She really looked and sounded like she was having a bit of a hard time in holding in her laughter since air just kept escaping and her hand could just barely continue moving.

 

I stepped beside her and leaned to examine her face that was hung low to hide her expression. But when I finally did see her, she was really doing her all to keep from laughing by biting her lips with puffed cheeks and closed eyes.

 

“What’s so funny?” I asked. She opened her eyes immediately after I said my sentence but she just dropped her saw and stepped back before laughing hysterically right in front of me. “Hey…” I called out with furrowed eyes and my hands on my waist yet she just kept laughing.

 

After a minute, she started explaining through her laughs. “You’re just…so…dorky!” She shouted out and continued to laugh.

 

I raised my eyebrow at the helpless laughing person.

 

~~~

 

            (Taeyeon’s POV)

 

            “What about…Night Watcher?”

 

“Again, it’s too tough. How about The Pink Anchor?”

 

“That’s just…less fierce than we want to sound like.”

 

“But I like pink…” She pouted.

 

I jumped in my place, sensing that she was a bit hurt with what I said. “Not that you’re not fierce, Fany! I mean, pink is nice but maybe we can find a better name for our ship.” I mumbled to her in a hurry, not wanting her to misunderstand. “They’ll also find it an easy way to trash talk us.”

 

She nodded, slowly stopping her pout. “Fine.”

 

I sighed in relief once I got out of that possible fight between us and picked up my brush that was dipped in the varnish to start coating the fences again.

 

After Tiffany and I fixed up the leaks then Yuri and Jessica cut up all the wood they were assigned with into floorboards, we decided to work together into building the fences. Yuri and Jessica were in charge of putting them together while Tiffany and I were going to apply the varnish.

 

The whole morning was spent in fixing up those leaks and floorboards so after we had a break by eating lunch, we started up on these fences right away. Though, my conversation with Tiffany about our ship’s name still hasn’t ended. Throughout the whole 6 hours we’ve spent together, all we’ve been doing is rejecting each name we give out to each other.

 

I don’t even know what will happen if we have to think about the design of our flag already if thinking about the name is this bad.

 

We sat beside each other, painting each fence Yuri and Jessica gave us, who were putting them together right behind us. Right after Tiffany rejected another name I gave out, I heaved a sigh. “Are we ever gonna settle on a name?”

 

I looked beside me and found her to be smiling before turning to me and shrugged. “If we can’t settle on a name, we’ll just go with The Atlantic Gem as a compromise.” We laughed lightly at the statement though we both know that we’re thinking that we hope that doesn’t happen.

 

Suddenly, a scream of pain shoved in our ears.

 

Tiffany and I were both startled at the shriek and turned around to the two people behind us. It appears that Yuri accidentally hammered her own finger which is why she’s shaking her hand rapidly in the air and Jessica is laughing her head off beside Yuri.

 

We giggled at the sight, seeing that our first mates, who were usually serious about working, were actually having a pretty fun time together.

 

“Those two are quite cute together.” Tiffany whispered to me with a small smile. I smiled back and nodded in agreement.

 

~~~

 

            By sunset, everything assigned to us for the day were all accomplished.  From leaks to doors, we’ve finished everything with quality. Except for our ship’s name and flag.

 

The four of us were all laid out on the beach, exhausted. All of us were just staring at the once-blue sky to turn into a red-orange one side by side. No one dare to speak one word since we knew that everyone was too tired to even speak.

 

But of course, Tiffany and I had to settle something. “Hey Fany.” I whispered.

 

“Hm?”

 

“Let’s settle this ship’s name.”

 

“How?”

 

“On count of three, both of us will say the first name that pops into our head. Whichever name is better, that’ll be our ship’s name.”

 

She turned her head to me, looking at me as if I was crazy but I just smiled at her. We were both too tired to think anymore anyway. She sighed and turned back to the sky. “Okay.”

 

“Alright. One…two…three.”

 

“Fallen Angel.”

 

“Fallen Angel.”

 

Both of us were silent for a moment, not believing that we said the exact same thing. But a second later, Tiffany and I shot up from the sand, sitting up while facing each other. “Did you just say Fallen Angel?” Tiffany asked. I nodded.

 

We slowly formed a wide smile on our face. “Our ship’s name is Fallen Angel. Fallen Angel? that’s such a great name!” I exclaimed in excitement and stood up, pulling Tiffany with me.

 

“Gawd, you guys are so loud…” Jessica groaned. We just ignored them as we were too hyped up about finally deciding on the name.

 

“C’mon, let’s make our flag’s design, I already have an idea and I think you’re gonna like it.” Tiffany eye-smiled at me and pulled me to the site near the ship where we can make our flag.

 

~~~

 

            (Jessica’s POV)

 

            After being disturbed by those two loud-voiced lovers, I didn’t even realize that I fell asleep and when I opened my eyes again, I found the environment around me to be scattered with lit torches since it was already nighttime.

 

I pushed myself up with my arms while my eyes were still half-closed. “No wonder Tiffany calls me a sleeping beauty. I can sleep anywhere and feel that it was a good nap.” I mumbled. “I wonder where are those two…And Yu—“ I stopped talking as I felt my hand hit something as I was about to stretch it out.

 

I quickly turned to my side, finding Yuri to still be asleep.

 

I instantly smiled at the person beside me, remembering all the antics we’ve done together today. I decided to move a bit closer, examining her sleeping face…and I found her tongue to be sticking out. I covered my mouth, not wanting to laugh and wake her up.

 

I calmed myself down before reaching out and caressing her face lightly. “You, Kwon Yuri, are quite charming. Stupidly charming, that is.” I smiled at her.

 

---

 

I had to think about when to post this since I just finished the chapter yesterday ahaha. Good thing I was bored right now and decided to update~ ^^