Other Half

Love At Sea

 

            The next day, we didn’t dare to even look at each other. Not one glance, contact or words were shown. We pretended that nothing happened last night even though it clearly scarred our relationship forever. Neither of us said anything to any of our crew members but it was as if they already knew that we didn’t want to be bothered right now and it’d be best if they just do their job.

 

It was a depressing day for our Fallen Angel.

 

There was nothing but heavy atmosphere as we sailed around mindlessly. I just kept walking around the deck, allowing myself to be shrouded with my thoughts, alone.

 

My heart was so heavy. And my body felt like it was dead since I was so numb to my surroundings. I wasn’t hungry, tired or anything at all during the day.

 

I finally felt what everyone was talking about when you get heartache. The feeling of wanting to disappear from the world just to escape the pain for even just a bit or wanting to go back in time and fix everything. You won’t care if you’re going to place all the blame on yourself or you’re going to risk your life as long as you fix everything.

 

But mostly, the part where you replay every moment you had together in your head over and over again. You look for signs of trouble, uneasiness…and uncertainty.

 

And because of that, I’m throwing words at myself for being so stupid.

 

“Tae-Tae…” She whispered, not letting herself meet my eyes. “…should we break up…?”

 

“…F-Fany…”

 

“I think we should since this is leading nowhere…” She mumbled, letting a tear fall from her right eye.

 

“N-No, I won’t let you go. I love you, Tiffany, I love you so much. Please don’t let this happen.” I said with all my breath, feeling my heart starting to implode within me as I rushed to her side, caressing her arms.

 

“Taeyeon—“

 

“Tiffany, please.” I begged.

 

“…I…” When I looked into her eyes, it wasn’t even the Tiffany I knew anymore, it was filled with pain, sadness and loneliness.

 

I didn’t even know what to do anymore, so I tried to lean and kiss her, hoping it’ll work as an apology but she just pushed me away and cried, running inside the ship.

 

“Tch.” I slapped myself mentally for being such an idiot while kicking the mast near me.

 

At that moment, a hand was placed on my shoulder, making me turn back and see that Yuri was looking at me in worry.

 

I just glared back at her. I wanted to be alone right now and didn’t need anybody to tell what I should do or how stupid I am. I can do that by myself.

 

“Leave me alone, Yuri.” I uttered bitterly and started to walk away from her hand’s touch.

 

“You don’t have to act like such a jerk, friend.” She replied, meaning no spite in her tone of voice. “What happened between you and Tiffany?”

 

I stopped walking since her question made my mind replay last night’s events and it just drove my self-control to almost completely vanish. “It’s none of your business.” I said with a tone that was all too coldly to Yuri, with my back turned to her.

 

“…So that’s all I am to you? After all we’ve been through? Just because Tiffany and you are breaking up, you’re disregarding our friendship like that too?!” I clenched my fists and gritted my teeth. My blood was boiling with every word Yuri said. My rage was reaching its limit. “If you’re gonna do that to us then I think Tiffany will make a right decision in leaving someone as pathetic as you!!” She shouted at me.

 

That does it.

 

I sprinted towards her and lifted my fist to punch her in the face as hard as I could. It sent her to the ground, causing a loud noise and for our crew to direct their full attention to us.

 

Two pairs of feet suddenly came from the upper deck. I just stared at Yuri groan in pain for a few more seconds since I already knew who those two were. And I won’t even dare to set my eyes on one of them after the way I hurt her.

 

“Yuri—Yul…are you okay?” Jessica soon came to my first mate’s aid, caressing her face gently. The sight made me suddenly sick and bitter, especially be filled with jealousy. I just rolled my eyes and turned to the right, wanting to head to my quarters but instead, Tiffany and I met eyes.

 

It was the most contact we had all day.

 

I was just frozen in front of her, she was just staring at me with the same sad eyes last night and I still didn’t know what to do. I wanted to say sorry and I really do want to end up with her. I wanted to pull her in my arms and tell her that I love her so much and didn’t those words. I’ll give her anything she wants if that’s what it takes to get this over.

 

But nothing came out of me. Not one move or word.

 

“Yuri, don’t!” Jessica shouted. I turned to look at what was happening but instead, I get a fist on my face, sending me to the floor.

 

I hissed in pain. Yuri has always had a good punch. Regret filled my mind about punching her.

 

Yuri even looked like she wanted to continue beating the hell out of me but Jessica held her down by the waist and other crew members did their best to stop her as well.

 

Tiffany just stood there, looking at me with so much hesitation in her eyes. Probably thinking if she should aid the person who broke her heart or not.

 

I just kept lying down on the floor, groaning in pain. Even my nose started bleeding.

 

And by some miracle, a familiar touch cupped my face and a pink handkerchief was wiping away the blood from my nose. “F-Fany…” I whispered, not believing that she’s actually doing this.

 

“Ssh.” She hushed shortly and continued to wipe my nose.

 

I stared at the face hovering on top of me, ignoring Yuri who had finally calmed down and just started to walk away with Jessica chasing behind her. I started to think hard, wondering how I could win this angel in front of me back. 

 

And I just figured…what else is better than just say what’s in your heart.

 

“Tiffany.” I started.

 

“I told you to keep quiet.” She replied, having a straight face.

 

“I want to talk to you about last night—“

 

“Tae—“

 

“Listen to me.” She finally looked in my eyes, signaling that she’ll take me seriously now. “I know that we want different things but…if what you want is to be married, I’ll give you that. I’ll do it if I have to. I’ll raise kids with you—and I’ll make sure to raise them with all I have; I’ll do the 4 o’clock feeding, I’ll change diapers.” I was saying all these things that she’s been asking for but…it only seemed like her expression was growing darker. “I’ll grow old with you, Tiffany…you’ll be my first and last. I’ll love you infinitely eternal. And if I have to get married to you and have kids I’ll do it. We retire from this pirate life and get a wonderful house. I’ll do that if I have to just—just don’t leave me, Fany…” I begged.

 

I waited for a response—any response that would signify everything’s alright.

 

But…she faced me with a sad smile and caressed my face lightly. “…you’re…a wonderful, amazing person, Taengoo-yah…but…if you’re being forced into this, everything you said doesn’t even matter to me.” She mumbled sadly. “You said ‘I have to’ a million times…and that just means you don’t really want to do this. And I can’t live the rest of life with someone that didn’t even want this life from the start…it’s not fair. It’s not fair to both of us.”

 

She stood up, dropping a tear on my face as she did.

 

I sat up quickly and rose from the ground, wanting to face her properly. “What are you saying then?” I dared to ask.

 

She looked at me, crying again just like last night. “It means…we were wrong. We aren’t the ones we’re supposed to spend the rest of our life with...” She cried and walked away.

 

“But Fany—“ I tried to reach out for her, but she just kept walking.

 

---

 

            I was sitting in the galley, resting my upper body on the table as I had my arms as my cushion. I’m alone once again, thinking about my constant horrible decisions. I don’t even know what to do with myself anymore…I feel like the worst person to ever live. Even I started to hate myself for doing all these things.

 

Everything used to be perfect. But now, I somehow managed to destroy everything. Even my friendship with Yuri.

 

We promised to never let anything like a relationship to get in the way of our friendship and just a few hours ago, I did just that.

 

“You still pack quite a lousy punch.” I quickly lifted my head to the voice of my best friend even though I thought it was just my imagination. But Yuri really was sitting across the table, drinking a pint of wine. She was just looking at me with a straight face. I wasn’t surprised…I doubt she’ll forgive me that easily even if I kneeled in a pile of salt.

 

I decided to play cool and not just start blabbering ‘cause we both knew Yuri hated people who begged for forgiveness because it’s all words—not actions. “…you were always the fighter between us.” I managed to reply while fixing my sitting position.

 

A light laugh came from her nose before she sipped the mug in front of her. “Listen, Taeng.”

 

I placed all my attention on her as opened to say, “I know that you and Tiffany had a rough patch last night, I’m even okay with the fact that you didn’t talk to me about but…for you to say that it’s none of my business…” She looked away. “…does 15 years of friendship mean nothing to you?”

 

I sighed, feeling the disappointment within myself. “I was blinded that time.”

 

“Because of heartache?” Her hand clenched the wooden handle of her drink. “I never did that to you, Taeyeon. Not even after I discovered Victoria was cheating on me.”

 

“I know…” I couldn’t even look at her anymore. I’m so ashamed of myself. “…I know that there’s no excuse to what I did but it’s my first time falling in love and for me to lose the person I’d want to spend the rest of my life with because of my stupidity is just—“

 

“It was my first time falling in love too and what happened to me was probably equal to your situation right now. Or even more.” Yuri glared.

 

I just chuckled bitterly and set my sight on the table. “…But you’re a lot stronger than me, Yuri…I easily breakdown. You’re always calm and collected; always knowing how to handle your feelings and when to act. And I’m definitely not you. If…If Tiffany cheated me, I would’ve lost it all. Living with a memory like that is practically my ticket to suicide.” I mumbled just above a whisper.

 

I heard Yuri exhale deeply right before silence filled our atmosphere.

 

All words were said and now…there’s nothing left to do but wait for her to talk or wait for my heart’s courage to speak.

 

But then again, Yuri’s always been the fastest.

 

“So your father was wrong. We aren’t twins…just life-long mates.” I looked up, seeing her to be smiling at me already. My face instantly lit up and I reached over the table, hugging her tightly. “Whoa, wait! My drink!!”

 

I went back to my chair, feeling my tears to be forming since a one of the huge stones were removed from my heart.  “Since when did you start crying about things like this?!” Yuri laughed.

 

“It’s just been crazy recently, friend.” I mumbled, wiping away my tears.

 

She smiled, waiting for me to calm down. “…what happened between you and Tiffany, anyway?”

 

I sighed, looking away for a brief moment before I said, “What usually happens. Me.” I chuckled. “I’m so stupid, Yuri.” My lip started to quiver. My tears came back. “How could I tell Tiffany that I didn’t want to marry her?” I cried. “Ever since I fell for her, my life has been just a complete bliss, why did I say that I didn’t want the title of being her other-half…?” My heart could finally vent out all my pain just because of my lousy mistakes. “I hate myself, Yuri. I can never do anything right when it comes to these things. And now, I’m going to lose the best thing that’s ever happened to me just because of it.”

 

“…why don’t you say that you were wrong about yourself? That you really do want to be with her?”

 

“I tried. But she said that…she doesn’t want to be with someone that’s just forcing themselves. She probably doesn’t even want to look at me anymore.” My voice wavered, imagining her face and voice as she said that to me.

 

“Friend.” I looked at Yuri, finding her to be looking back at me with determination in her eyes. “Fight for her. Make her believe that you two belong together.”

 

“But I—“

 

“No. You haven’t fought for her yet, at least not hard enough.” I sighed.

 

“I don’t know, Yuri…”

 

“If you’re gonna fight for her, you’ll get married to her. You’ll forever have your other half—your soulmate. Tiffany will always be with you in mind, body, spirit and heart and you two will never ever let each other go. I imagine you guys to be so incredibly happy…and I see you two with kids and raising them up to be exactly like you guys: two strong, smart and wonderful people. Don’t you want that, Taeyeon?”

 

I looked at her, thinking about everything that she just said.

 

Unfortunately, Tiffany was already asleep at this time.

 

---

 

(Yuri’s POV)

 

            Taeng and I decided to return to our own quarters. But since I decided to finish my drink first, Taeyeon went ahead and I’m just walking out of the galley now. I yawned as I grabbed my nape, feeling tired after this emotional day. So many things have happened today that Jessica and I have barely even done anything similar to last night.

 

I stopped abruptly in my tracks, surprised to see the person sitting in front of my door. The sight of it just made me smile as I slowly walked towards her. She was already on the brink of falling asleep.

 

I crouched quietly in front of her and leaned, kissing her forehead tenderly. “Wake up, love.”

 

The blonde girl’s eyes opened slightly and furrowed her eyebrows, trying to wake up for my sake. “Yuri…” She mumbled and started rubbing her eyes awake. “I need to talk to you.”

 

“I guess you do since you actually waited for me outside.” I chuckled before helping her up and entered my room. “So what did you want to talk about?” I asked Jessica after we sat down on my bed. She still constantly yawned since she just woke up, making me chuckle and took it as an opportunity to intertwine our fingers.

 

“First…are you okay, now? Did you and Taeyeon fix things?” She asked, looking at me almost fully awake.

 

“Yeah, we’re alright. That girl is just being crazy as usual.” I smiled.

 

“What about that spot where she punched you?” She poked my cheekbone.

 

My eye twitched out of pain. “A-Ah…Sica, there’s a light bruise there.” I mumbled, gently pulling her hand down.

 

“Sorry…” She smiled apologetically.

 

“Alright, so...what did you want to talk about?” I looked at her, smiling with a good expectation.

 

But it doesn’t look like it’ll be fulfilled. She bit her lip, avoiding my eyes and just tightened her hand around mine. And the next four words completely turned my mood around. “Tell me about Victoria.”

 

At first, I didn’t believe what she just said. I wasn’t prepared to do what she just told me and I don’t think I’ll ever be. It sent my heart into a state of panic and I just became completely upset. “I already told you, Jessica. I can’t talk about her—“

 

“…I can’t let you love me until you do.”

 

It was the ultimate threat.

 

And I’m not someone who would be stupid enough to let go of Jessica just because of my past. As I stared in her determined eyes, I knew that I had no choice. “I feel that the reason you can’t tell me is that you’re still not over her…and for me to forget that feeling, you have to tell me what exactly happened between you two.” She continued and looked away.

 

 I breathed deeply, staying in the silence between us for a few more seconds just to prepare my heart from reminiscing old scars. And finally…

 

“…when I was 17, my father’s friend came over our house right when Taeyeon and I were dueling in our courtyard. He had a daughter, named Song Victoria. She hid behind the tree as she watched us fight and when we met eyes, she smiled so sweetly that I lost focus—making Taeyeon win a fight between us for the first time.” Jessica turned to me, instantly listening to me. I smiled lightly. “We started to spend more and more time together, always meeting up whenever we had free time. Soon enough, I confessed to her after a few months. She looked so happy about it…And I was even happier when she said that she reciprocated my feelings. We dated for about 2 years. Everything was just going so well…I loved her with all my heart so I couldn’t imagine what could go wrong and I already considered her as the person who I’ll love and live with forever.” Those words tasted so bitter in my mouth now.

 

My heart started to feel pain with the memory I recalled—the image of it. My lip quivered and tears threatened to fall as I continued. “…when Taeyeon and I were finally given a ship of our own, I hurried to Victoria’s place…I wanted to propose to her so that we could go on the amazing journey together as a married couple. But instead, I overheard a conversation.” I breathed in and out, wanting to get through this without crying. “Yuri’s just my puppy to follow me around and adore me. I don’t really love her. It’s just fun having someone to be so desperate to keep you in your life. I think she’s just a weird freak.” I gritted my teeth, feeling all my feelings to come back as I repeated her words. “…but still, I was in love with her and just ran away, deciding to disregard everything. When I came back to her house and entered her room…I found her half- with another person hovering on top of her.” I bit my lip, stopping it from quivering. “She never cared. She never loved me and I was just a toy. After that incident, she just threw me aside. Even if I begged for her to keep dating me—even if I said that I didn’t care what ever she did with another person as long as she stayed with me…I was still trash to her. I vowed to never love again.”

 

My tears finally flowed out. But instead of letting the bitterness take over me, I received a light squeeze around my hand, when I looked down…I found Jessica’s hand to be holding mind so lovingly. I turned to her with a smile, despite my tears. “But you entered my life. And I’m never gonna let you leave it.”

 

Jessica smiled slowly and released my hand, reaching over to hug me tightly. “…Yuri-ah…thank you for telling me…” She whispered. My tears just kept falling as I buried my face in the crook of her neck, taking in her scent to calm my heart. “…I promise that you will never get hurt like that again…and I’ll love you eternally, as long as my heart beats…until my last breath.”

 

And with those words, my heart was renewed.

 

I hugged Jessica tightly, whispering, “Jessica Jung, I surrender myself to you.”

 

---

 

            (Taeyeon’s POV)

 

            Even though I told Yuri that I’ll just go back to my quarters, I knew that I couldn’t do that since Tiffany’s sleeping there…and I can’t handle that atmosphere of being around her unless I’m already going to say what I have to say. For now, I’m walking around the bridge, thinking of what I’ll say to my lover.

 

But I didn’t get the peace I wanted.

 

I saw something from afar. An enemy ship.

 

I got out my spy glass and looked through it, wanting to see through the thick fog.

 

My mind became even more chaotic when I realized what ship it was: The Elven Beast.

 

I put my spy glass back in my coat and slowly backed away before finally getting a hold of my senses and ran to the quarters. “YURI!! JESSICA!! TIFFANY!! WAKE UP!!”

 

---

 

Is anybody else shaking with anticipation? 'Cause I sure as hell am. The real final chapter is next :) And the epilogue will be the only thing left. Darn, I'm so excited. I wish I could start on the next chapter but I have to sleep haha.

 

Sorry about the late update. Laziness and other things to do is a deadly combination.