Queen of Tropical Flowers

Love At Sea

[Before you read...

I have to tell you guys that my quarterly exams are coming up so I have to study ^^ So I'm gonna be on hiatus for about 2 weeks or so ^^ I hope you guys won't throw stuff at me after you finish reading this ^^;;]

 

 

            I paced around the main deck, looking out into Hibiscus Lagoon from a distance every once in a while, trying to see a familiar figure into the land. I couldn’t wait to see her…I just have to see her or else my heart will start erupting.

 

I stomped my foot, halting my walk to a complete stop and leaned against the wooden barrier to get a better look. “Is she there yet…” I mumbled to myself, looking more carefully as  I realized the sun began to glow the color of red and orange as it slowly sank.

 

The Atlantic Compass stood still ashore an island away from our meeting place so that it’s still reachable but cannot be seen clearly in the night without the help of a spyglass…and I’m the only one who has such a thing on this ship.

 

We agreed to see each other once the sun wasn’t visible anymore but even though I knew that, I still hoped that she would arrive early so we can see each other sooner. Honestly, I wish that we agreed to just meet each other this morning—even though that sounds too greedy.

 

I sighed heavily, realizing a fact.

 

I really have fallen hard and deep for her to be so flipped out like this.

 

Tiffany nodded. “You must’ve fallen for me hard to be quickly caught like that.” She giggled. Just remembering her voice is making my lips tug upwards into a big grin.

 

“Oh golly…I think my girlfriend is ever so dreamy~” Yuri’s country-accented voice ringed in my right ear. “I wonder what our wedding is gonna be like~” She mumbled, still with a country accent.

 

I didn’t turn to meet her face and just chose to glare at the island near us. “It’ll probably so darn lovely…Oh! I just can’t wait!”

 

I sighed and raised my right fist to punch her in the arm. “Your teasing just gets worse and worse, you know that?” I muttered under my breath.

 

She laughed, probably thinking how fun it is to tease me. “I can’t help it with that dorky little grin of yours. You give me no choice.” She stated, still chuckling. “And you’ve been looking out into that island for an hour now, why don’t you just go there and look for her yourself?”

 

I paused, thinking about her suggestion. “Fine.” I answered and stepped back. “You’re in charge until I’m gone, alright?”

 

“I know, friend. Just go already. Tell me how it goes.” She winked.

 

~~~

 

            Once I stepped out of my boat and onto the sand of Hibiscus Island, nightfall fell, making everything dark with the moon as its only source of light. I think Tiffany would already be there. This is exactly the time we told each other to meet.

 

I started making my way in the forest to find the lagoon in the middle of the island, running faster and faster as my heartbeat raced. I ran past all the plants and pretended that I don’t see any insects until I finally reached the middle, where Tiffany sat on the opposite side, dipping her legs in the lagoon while sitting down on the soil.

 

I stopped moving for a moment…giving time to admire how beautiful she looked under the moonlight. It felt like my breath was taken away while she waved her legs around in the water with a sincere stare.

 

I slowly stepped out of the shadows, revealing myself to her. She slowly lifted up her head, showing an innocent face. “Hi.” I greeted with a small smile.

 

She slowly smiled back while stopping her legs from waving. “Hi.”

 

I walked towards Tiffany and sat down beside her, removing my shoes before dipping in my legs as well. “Am I late?” I asked and turned to her while moving my legs around in the water.

 

She shook her head. “I was just a bit early.” After that small talk, it became silent for a few seconds. We just took the time to play with the water and admire our surroundings. Above the lagoon was a big open area where trees didn’t cover, showing the bright glow and reflection of the moon on the water.

 

It might not be something ideal to where you want to be but as long as Tiffany’s beside me in this setting, it’s perfect.

 

A minute more in silence, I saw Tiffany’s hand sprawled out on the dirt. I smiled to myself and slowly reached out, wrapping mine around hers.

 

As she turned to look at what was on top of her hand, I turned right back at her, to meet her eyes once she lifted her face. We both smiled at each other lovingly, intertwining our fingers.

 

“That’s enough playing with the water don’t you think?” I mumbled, pulling my legs out and stood up, pulling her with me.

 

~~~

 

            “Have you ever wondered what’s so special about Hibiscus flowers?” Tiffany asked as we walked hand-in-hand through the forest, spotting many different kinds of exotic plants and flowers, such as the hibiscus itself.

 

“Hmm…” I stared at a small shrub of it, with one hibiscus flower in bloom. “I remember that…” I mumbled as I stopped walking and let go of Tiffany’s hand, moving closer to the small shrub. “My mother came in the room with a bundle of hibiscus...and she told me that it’s the Queen of Tropical Flowers.” I smiled at the blooming flower, reminiscing the memory. “It’s beautiful, don’t you think?” I grinned, gently cupping the flower in my hand.

 

“Yeah.” She agreed, crouching beside me. “This island is filled with flowers right? How else would it be named after a flower?”

 

I nodded and turned to her. “What’s your favorite flower, Tiffany?” I asked with a warm smile.

 

“Hmm…” She hummed, giving it to some thought. “Begonias…I love the bright pink ones.” She smiled. I grinned and stood up, helping her up as well and continued to walk hand-in-hand. “Why did you ask?”

 

I looked around, trying to make up anything that could resemble a begonia in the dark. “I just wondered.” I lied, still looking around as we walked.

 

My eyes lit up, seeing a very small begonia bush beside a tree that only had 2 flowers. I let go of her hand once again, walking towards the small bush and picked one flower and went back to her. I admired the flower in my hand, carefully the petals as if it was the most fragile thing in the world. “They say that…flowers are the sweetest things God ever made…and forgot to put a soul into.” I mumbled with a smile, lifting my face to meet her eyes. “But…” I added, while tucking in the flower behind her left ear. “You’re the sweetest person God ever gave me…” I whispered with a grin. I saw something in her eyes sparkle the moment I finished my sentence, making my heart jump. “Saranghae.” I mumbled shyly.

 

Her lips slowly smiled and her eyes went with it, crafting another beautiful eye-smile. “…I love you too.” We stared at each other before realizing how silent it’s been and looked away, shyly chuckling. “You’re making me fall for you harder…” She whispered, refusing to look back at my eyes.

 

I chuckled, pulling her closer by the waist. “At least we’re even now.” I grinned. “I’m falling for you faster and harder…every second I’m with you.”

 

She laughed, meeting my eyes finally. “You’re quite cheesy, Kim Taeyeon.” She commented, wrapping her arms around my neck.

 

“Should I stop?” I asked worriedly, thinking that she feels uneasy.

 

“No…no.” She whispered, soothing my heart. “…it’s wonderful.” She smiled and leaned closer and closer, eyeing my lips. “You’re wonderful.” And with that soft voice, she finally closed the gap between us and captured my lips with hers.

 

~~~

 

            “Do you have anymore brilliant quotes to tell?” Tiffany asked as we decided to walk by the seashore.

 

I gripped her hand tighter, thinking of another quote. “To be overcome by the fragrance of flowers is a delectable form of defeat.” I mumbled, mindlessly.

 

“What does that mean?”

 

“…” I turned to her with a blank expression. “I have no idea, I just read it somewhere.”

 

She stared at me, looking at me as if I was joking. “Y-Yah!”

 

~~~

 

            After an hour of walking, we sat down on the sand, facing each other. It was already around midnight at that time…I hope nothing’s happened to my ship. Or Yuri is playing around in my quarters. Aish, that kid.

 

I blanked out for too long, thinking on how Yuri must be doing. She’s a trusted First Mate but she has the tendency to be childish sometimes. Especially with Yoona, those two can be big kids. After I was silent for 5 minutes, I felt a poke on my cheek, making me avert my gaze to the person in front of me. “What are you thinking about?” Tiffany asked.

 

“H-Huh? Nothing, really…” I mumbled, obviously lying. She raised her eyebrow at me in wonder. “Well…I was thinking that Yuri might be playing around in the ship by now.” I admitted and let out an embarrassed laugh.

 

She giggled and scooted closer, grabbing my hand before playing with my fingers. “You assigned her first mate, she should handle it well.”

 

“She might look like a serious person when we’re in battle but if you hang out as often as we do, you’re gonna get a lot of weird events in your life.” I groaned, knowing that every word of that sentence was true.

 

“Is she really that bad?” Tiffany asked, laughing a bit.

 

“Very.” I grinned. “Hmm…c’mon we always talk about our First mates, tell me more about you.” I pried, turning the tables on her and I played with her fingers instead.

 

She growled. “I already told you everything about me.”

 

“Lies.” I argued back, snickering. “Okay fine…let’s play a game.”

 

“Game?” Her eyes sparkled and sat up straight. I laughed at this cute trait. “What game?”

 

“Just a basic question and answer game. You go first.”

 

“Alright…uhm…” She continued humming as she thought of her question, grabbing my other hand to play with in the process. “What’s your biggest phobia?”

 

“I guess…fire.” I admitted, sheepishly.

 

She stopped playing with my fingers, staring at me in astonishment. “Fire? How can you handle a battle if your ship is on fire?”

 

I sighed. “I don’t really know…That hasn’t happened to me before but I hope it never does. I’ll most likely leave Yuri in charge for the meantime and stay near the sides so in case fire comes, I’ll just jump overboard.”

 

“Wow…” She whispered, showing a smirk. It actually has been a while since I’ve seen that smirk of hers. “Okay, your turn.”

 

“…am I your first love?” I asked, daringly…even pausing to look in her eyes to make sure that she wasn’t going to lie. I wanted a relationship where we’re both our firsts, not knowing what happens next so that we can figure it out ourselves…together.

 

She slowly shifted her eyes to mine, showing a small smile. “No.”

 

Once I heard that small insignificant word…something inside me dropped like a big anchor and I didn’t want to play with her hands anymore. So much for that dream… “Oh.” I reacted neutrally and chose to stare at our hands instead. “Your turn.” I mumbled, not wanting to continue with this topic.

 

She chuckled, suddenly gripping my hands tightly. “Am I your first love?” Tiffany asked so softly, it was voice that could melt my heart instantly.

 

I lowered my head, refusing to meet her eyes as I answered back. “You…definitely are.” I whispered. “I don’t know why…but you’re special in my eyes.” I smiled warmly, holding her hands tightly. “…no one was ever worth falling for until I realized you were.” She stared at me, listening as if she was in a trance. “If all that fighting wasn’t our introduction, I would’ve fallen for you sooner.” I grinned.

 

She laughed. “Kim Taeyeon.” She suddenly leaned and pecked the tip of my nose. “For what it’s worth…I wish you were my first love.” The second I heard that sentence, I couldn’t help but smile.

 

~~~

 

            At 3am, Tiffany and I were still together. Even though this was the darkest part of the night, I was leaning against a palm tree with Tiffany leaning against me as I snuggled her. “Taeyeon…” She mumbled.

 

“Hm?

 

“Tae…”

 

“What?”

 

“Taengoo…”

 

“Tiffany?” I tried to take a look at her face, wondering if she’s drifted off.  She was still awake…but half-closed eyes.

 

“Taengoo-yah~” She whined, turning her face to meet mine. “Why do I have 3 names for you but you only have one for me?” She whimpered. “C’mon, think of something.” She insisted, constantly hitting my leg lightly.

 

“W-What? Where’s all this coming from?”

 

“It feels unfair…” She pouted. “Give me a cute name like Taengoo.”

 

“U-Uhm…” I mumbled the first name I could think of. “Fany?”

 

Suddenly, her eyes lit up and she started bouncing on my lap. “That’s perfect. Taengoo and Fany.” She grinned.

 

I started laughing as she continued to bounce on my lap. “Is this what you act like when you want to sleep?”

 

“I don’t know…” She sighed and bounced back to a comfortable position.

 

“You sound like it.” I smiled. “Let’s just stay here then. I don’t think this island has any other people and it’s too late and tiring to row back to our ships so—“ I cut my sentence as I felt the added weight on me.  I slowly leaned towards the side, to check on her.

 

I found an angelic sleeping face, slowly sinking on my lap. I grinned and carefully positioned her back on my thighs. I wrapped my arms around her waist and laid my head on her shoulder before drifting off to sleep as well.

 

~~~

 

            A warm sensation on my face and the smell of vanilla woke me up, opening my eyes slowly to find that I was fortunately in the same spot I was last night. The sun was shining bright over the island we were on and seagulls started to squawk above us.

 

I smiled to myself, seeing as the vanilla-scented person in my arms was still sound asleep. I stretched my arms by stiffening them and hugging her tighter then yawned quietly, making sure that the latter won’t be disturbed. Unfortunately, she woke up seconds after I relaxed again in my spot. “Tae?” She mumbled, stretching afterwards.

 

I unwrapped my arms around her, giving her some space to wake up. “Fany?” I replied with a big smile.

 

She chuckled a bit, stretching her arms upwards. “Hmm…we should get back to our ships.” I reluctantly mentioned.

 

“…yeah.” She replied, obviously disappointed.

 

We both stood up, patting our clothes for dirt before turning to each other. “We’ll see each other again on the battlefield, right?” She asked with a pout. I nodded firmly.

 

“I wouldn’t miss a day of seeing you.” I smiled and stepped closer. “Hey…don’t you think…” I wanted to ask her if we still have to fight. I don’t want to fight her anymore. Actually, it’s because I can’t fight her anymore. I can’t bear to hurt her or anything that she cares about. But then again…I’m afraid that she won’t be in the same position as I am. “Nevermind.” I continued, showing a big grin.

 

“Alright…” She laughed. “I’ll see you soon then.” I nodded. She moved closer and hugged me tightly, pulling away to whisper, “I love you.” She smiled, still not pulling away. I smiled back.

 

“I love you too.”

 

She stepped back and turned around, starting to walk away from me.

 

I stayed there for a minute until she disappeared into the horizon and made my way to the forest.

 

~~~

 

            Our ship was hidden behind a massive rock near crystal bay; I had the upper-hand in this battle. I was too busy to form a strategy so I’m just going to go with the flow in this battle. I actually don’t even know if I could lay a sword on her.

 

“Taeyeon, do you want me to lead this battle?” Yuri asked as we both stood on the main deck.

 

I shook my head. “Even if I did let you, Tiffany would ask for me.” I sighed.

 

I turned around and faced Yuri, seeing as she was on serious mode. I laughed inside, remembering the time when I explained to Tiffany about Yuri’s goofy and serious sides. “What?” Yuri asked, confused about my staggering lips.

 

“N-Nothing.” I managed to mumble.

 

“Captain, Poseidon’s Gem has been sighted.” I stood frozen, suddenly not knowing what to do since the battle is about to start. Yuri stared at me for a moment, waiting for orders before finally giving up.

 

“All hands on deck! Battle stations!” Yuri shouted, sending the whole crew into a flurry of tasks.

 

~~~

 

            I just stayed on the stern, watching Yuri handle everything from attack strategy to maintaining the ship. The battle was as fierce as ever. The sound of cannons never leaving the air and the tense atmosphere always hung around the scene.

 

My mind was blank. I had no strategy and I forgot everything that a captain’s head is supposed to have. It’s like everything’s been erased by Tiffany.

 

I took out my spyglass, wanting to see her. I extended it and looked through it, glancing around the whole ship, I couldn’t find her. Not even a sign. “Where could she be…” I mumbled to myself.

 

“Maybe she’s behind you.” An icy voice muttered and the sound of a gun loaded behind me. I widened my eyes, turning around quickly, finding Jessica.

 

“J-Jessica…” I mumbled, shocked. “How did you get here without being noticed?” I glanced behind her, finding Tiffany with a nervous expression.

 

“It’s easy getting past a crew that’s too ignorant to look around.” She smirked. I clenched my fist. Nothing is more insulting to a captain than getting an insult for their crew.

 

“TAEYEON!” Yuri shouted from the main deck. I turned to her, finding her running up the stairs with a sword in the air.

 

“Ah!” Jessica exclaimed. “Come any closer and I’ll shoot her.”

 

“That’s impossible. We agreed to never kill captains and important members of a crew.” Yuri said, gritting her teeth in rage. “And I don’t think you have the guts to take a life anyway.”

 

Jessica chuckled and said, “I thought that we should put an end to everything now. And I’m not taking her life. Tiffany is.” She explained and grabbed my collar, throwing me to the person behind her.

 

“Tiffany? But—“ I threw half of my energy away just to glare hard enough at Yuri, getting her attention. I sent signals to her, to say no more so that our relationship won’t be revealed.

 

Tiffany caught me by grabbing my arm, glancing at me with a worried look. I looked back at her, not knowing what to do now. “Go ahead, Tiff.” Jessica mumbled and gave her a gun, keeping the one in her hand at Yuri.

 

Jessica pushed me to drop on the floor, getting a clear shot for Tiffany. I watched as she loaded her gun and aimed it at my head. “F-Fany…” I mumbled, seeing her finger being placed on the trigger. I tried to analyze her face, hoping that this isn’t real. I saw that everything on her expression was firm except for her eyes…they were watery and filled with fear.

 

“Tiffany, what are you doing?! Do it!” Jessica pushed.

 

I stared deep into her eyes, trying to get through her.

 

I felt everything pause for a second just for us…everything rushed in my mind. Every interaction with her and every word we’ve said to each other…every experience and every word. I don’t know if that happened to her but I just felt it. Like our hearts suddenly started to beat as one.

 

Once that moment passed, Tiffany threw the gun away and turned to Jessica. “No.” 

 

---

 

[I didn't mean to leave it as a cliffhanger, I swear. I'm not that evil T.T It was just chance. I'm really sorry ^^;; *grabs a shield*]