First Sail

Love At Sea

 

            I stared at Tiffany as she sewed. The way she pulled the needle through the silk flag really made me hold my breath since she looked so graceful. Her eyes sparkled, showing the enjoyment she was receiving…and the sweet smile she has plastered on her face made everyone not even dare to disturb her.

 

She volunteered to make the flag herself. From design to actual creation, she’s in charge of it all. Even if everybody tried to help, she kept insisting that she did it by herself. And now, it’s her 7th day working on it.

 

The design was a back-to-back flag that was pink on the other side, and blue on the other but both sides had angel wings—hence our ship’s name: Fallen Angel.

 

Everyday, Tiffany would grab her sewing kit and the flag-in-progress and go to the middle of our deck—that was recently completed—and just sit there, continuing to work on it. Whenever I would see her, I stop in my tracks to admire her for a moment. Once I snap out of my trance, I approach her and kiss her cheek, giving her some words of encouragement. “It’s beautiful.” One of the things I would whisper to her.

 

One night, I kept on insisting for her to go to sleep but she wouldn’t drop her needle. “Fany-ah, it’s 1am, there’s gonna be another day tomorrow. Please climb in bed with me so we can both have a good sleep.” I tried to persuade her.

 

She shook her head and continued to work on the flag, not even bothering to utter one word to me. I sighed and gave up. “Just don’t overwork yourself to the point of fainting, okay?” I mumbled as I leaned to kiss her forehead tenderly. “Goodnight.”

 

I put myself in the bed and drifted off, seeing her continuing to work being the last thing I saw.

 

~~~

 

“YES!” A loud squeal woke me up.

 

I rubbed my eyes to get rid of my blurry vision. I quickly sat up to see what was going on and right in front of the bed, Tiffany was dancing around the room with the flag. “What happened…?” I mumbled before yawning and stretching.

 

She stopped prancing around and looked at me with the biggest smile ever, holding up the flag in front of her proudly. “It’s finished.”

 

I stared at the beautifully sewn flag, with the wings and everything.

 

Before I knew it, I couldn’t stop smiling and got out of bed. We approached each other and I grabbed the flag in her hands, feeling our ship’s flag for the first time ever before looking at her sincerely. “Let’s sail.” I smiled eagerly.

 

~~~

 

            “Where’s your girlfriend, Taeyeon?” Yuri asked—almost in a form of a shout—as she ran up to the helm where I stood.

 

I continued to check the wheel and inspecting the rudder since I had to make the last check-up for our ship before setting sail. “She’s asleep.” I answered Yuri, moving to the side to see all of the crew to be working hard in setting up everything.

 

“What? The other captain of this vessel that we all worked hard on to make for the past 2 months is just sleeping for our first sail?!”

 

I nodded and kept examining everything. “She was up all night making our flag. She deserves some sleep. I don’t want my own girlfriend and fellow captain to have puffy red eyes while she’s struggling to just stand straight during the first sail. I’ll be more focused into doing this rather than stopping every once in a while to make sure my love is okay.” I replied with a serious tone as I face Yuri. I hoped that explanation was enough just for her to stop talking. There were so many things to do before the sun is high up in the sky and we have to sail. 

 

“But—“

 

“Kim Taeyeon! Where are you keeping my sister? She has to finalize some things.” Jessica announced, stepping foot on the bridge as well. I groaned at the presence of more interruptions.

 

“She’s still sleeping! Now if you will, I have to—“

 

“Then I’ll go wake her up.” Jessica said and quickly went off to my and Tiffany’s quarters. I widened my eyes and hurried to stop her. I did not want anybody or anything to keep her from sleeping more. She worked hard on that flag and she deserved a break. It’ll break my heart to see a distressed Tiffany.

 

“No! She’s had a long week.”

 

“It’s the first sail. She has to wake up.” Jessica replied with a slight glare at me, emphasizing on the phrase ‘has to’.

 

“But she’ll just be all exhausted if you wake her up.”

 

“She can go back to sleep as soon as we’re in the middle of the ocean, okay?” She sighed, looking a bit irritated with my concern for her own dongsaeng. “Sheesh, you’re more protective of her than me.” She laughed as she started to walk to our quarters.

 

I sighed heavily, shaking my head at that last remark and turned back, seeing Yuri to be grinning. “What?” I asked.

 

“She’s right about your protectiveness though.” She mumbled before bursting into a laugh just like Jessica.

 

I smirked at her.  She’s not the only one who can tease now. “And you seem to be always siding with her. Physically, Socially and Mentally…” My statement was completely true. They seemed to be always together ever a month ago. At first it was only for the sake of the construction but even through breaks and when the sun sets, I could see them talking to each other. Some of the moments were about Yuri making a fool of herself and Jessica throwing a fit of giggles, others were their bickering…but rarely, you would see them just talking to each other with a sincere smile on their faces. I just knew something was brewing up between them.

 

Yuri jumped in her place and denied the sentence with her whole body. “What? No! You guys are just so lazy to actually do something about this boat of yours so we have to take charge of everything. It’s your fault why we’re hanging out so often! Don’t tease me about Jessica if you’re the one to blame!” She said all in one breath and stormed down to the bridge. I laughed at the cute tantrum.

 

“Good luck, dear friend…” I smiled, watching the fuming person in denial walk march around the deck.

 

~~~

 

            (Yuri’s POV)

 

            I can’t believe Taeyeon thinks that. What makes her think that she knows? I don’t even know that. There’s nothing even to know about in the first place.

 

I mean, ever since Jessica has been less…cold since she’s already accepted the whole situation fully, she’s been friendlier and fun to hang out with so of course I’ve been hanging out with her more. She’s also been kind of caring, nice…and sweet…

 

I smiled at the memory of me and Jessica spending time together after waking up in a cool, crisp morning.

 

            I crawled out of my hand-made tent to see Jessica already stepping into the ocean up to only her feet, looking far into the water a bit deep in thought. But still, I smiled to myself and decided to cheer her up a bit. After seeing her sad smile as she implied that she’s had her bad experience of relationships, I’ve wanted to take any opportunity I can to see her smile. Even if it meant my own shame or pain.

 

I kept my head low and legs slightly crouched, not wanting to attract any attention from her and quietly crept to her back. She didn’t seem to notice anything so my plan was going perfect. I crept a bit closer…waiting for a perfect moment.

 

When she stopped moving to stare at the distance again, I stood up and pushed her with enough force to make her legs wobble while shouting, “Oops, you’re falling Jessica!!” She instantly started to shriek like a dolphin as she slowly lost balance. I endured the scream and wrapped my arms around her waist, pulling her back onto her feet while laughing so hard.

 

Jessica turned her head to meet eyes with her prankster. Once she realized it was me, she pushed me away and started to pound on me with her fist. “Kwon Yuri, you, pabo! Pabo pabo pabo pabo pabo!!” She repeatedly screamed. “You gave me a heart attack, you stupid—big—tan—giant!!” She shouted as she continued to hurt me with her fists.

 

“Ow! Ow! I’m sorry Jessica!” I mumbled, trying to protect myself from her pounding. But then I remembered the look on her face when she was about to hit the water and couldn’t help but continue to laugh. “I—Just wanted—some fun!” I managed to reply through my giggles.

 

“How’s this for fun?!” She shouted and lifted her foot to kick me away, sending me off balance and into the water. “Ha! How’d you like the water?” She smirked.

 

My heart was still beating fast from the shock of both the kick and water, making me a bit confused at what just happened. I looked up at her with my hands supporting me as I sat up in the salty water that I was in. When I finally put my thoughts together, I gritted my teeth with anger and grabbed her legs. “Why don’t you tell me?” I retorted and pulled her legs down with all I had, sending her to splash down in the water.

 

I laughed loudly when a piece of seaweed flew out of the water when she landed and plopped down on her head. “You’re right, this is fun!” I stated, continuing to laugh.

 

Jessica threw the seaweed away and slapped the surface of the water with her hand. “YAH, KWON YURI!” She shouted, meaning that she was ready to kill me.

 

“And that’s my queue to go.” I mumbled to myself and quickly stood up, running away from the fuming girl as fast as I could.

 

“KWON YURI, COME BACK HERE! YOU ARE SO DEAD!!”

 

I laughed as quietly as I could without me looking like I’ve gone insane as I continued to reminisce. Unfortunately, that wasn’t enough. “Well, well…it seems the tables have turned.” I turned to my side, finding the owner of the voice. “You’re the one who looks crazy now, Yul.” Taeyeon grinned at me.

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I denied and went back to stare at the water.

 

“Oh come on! You tease and bully Jessica like it’s your job! And I’ve known you long enough to say that your bullying is your way to get closer to her without her knowing your feelings.” She said with a tone that seemed like she knew everything.

 

I shrugged her words off and continued to stare blankly. “Y’know Yuri, if this was a playground, you would be tugging at her pigtails and pushing her down by now.” Taeyeon mumbled before snickering.

 

I furrowed my eyebrows, starting to get irritated by her words. I didn’t want to say anything back because I knew that she’d have a comeback almost instantly so I just turned away from her. But that just made everything worse for me.

 

I saw Taeyeon form an even wider smirk on her lips and that didn’t mean not one bit of a good thing to me. “So Yuri, tell me. If you really don’t have the slightest bit of feelings, how come you’re acting the same way to Jessica as the same way you acted with Victoria?” I clenched my fists and gritted my teeth the moment I heard that girl’s name. Taeyeon took notice of my rising anger and quickly placed a hand on my back, continuing with, “I didn’t mean to bring her up but I’m just really wondering what’s going on with you two.”

 

My head was clouded with rage. It was filled with images of her being in the very same bed that we made love for the first time to be with a man. Maybe that happened over 2 years ago but…my heart will forever be scarred by that experience. An experience that I don’t ever want to feel again. “D-Don’t compare Jessica to Victoria, Taeng…” I mumbled with closed eyes, trying to calm myself down by removing my memories of her from my mind momentarily, one by one. “Just…Just don’t.”

 

She nodded and removed her hand from my back. When I opened my eyes, I found her to be beside me, staring at the water as well. “Be honest with me, friend. Even if it was just a bit, do you like Jessica?”

 

I pressed my lips together, staring at the deep blue water as I explored my own heart for the answer. I sighed lightly when I realized the truth…and that truth can’t be hidden or be lied about anymore. But when I opened my mouth to say my answer, a loud sound of a door being slammed open interrupted us.

 

            (Taeyeon’s POV)

 

            I jumped in my place as the moment of truth between Yuri and I was cut by a loud noise, sounding like it was coming from below deck. Wanting to know what was going on, I turned to my side to find Jessica dragging out her half-asleep little sister.

 

I sighed heavily. “What did this block of impenetrable ice do now…?” I mumbled with a load of stress creeping back onto my head.

 

“Hm, hey look over there, friend. Your girlfriend looks like exactly how you didn’t want her to look for your first sail.” Yuri pointed out, making me step forward a bit and examining the sleep-deprived person under Jessica’s arm. She was right. Tiffany looked exhausted and completely dragged out of bed judging by the looks of those red eyes and puffy eyelids. She couldn’t even stand straight which made my heart ache with worry.

 

I quickly marched to the two sisters as I sighed. “Darnit Jessica, look at her. She looks so tired.” I said sadly and pulled Tiffany out of her arms. I talked to her softly with the softest tone I could do. “Are you okay? You’re not gonna pass out or anything?” I asked her.

 

“…I don’t…know…” She mumbled and swiftly wrapped her arms around my waist before leaning and placing her head on my shoulder. I bit my lip in worry.

 

“See, Sica? She’s worn out. You can’t let your own sister push herself like this!” I tried to convince the person beside us with the best of my ability.

 

“I wanna…sleep…TaeTae…” Tiffany whispered in my ear, feeling heavier and I realized that she was falling asleep.

 

“It’ll only be an hour. Then she can sleep for the whole day for all I care.” Jessica shrugged off, ignoring that fact of how beat her dongsaeng actually was.

 

“But—“

 

“That’s fine. “ Yuri barged in. “Don’t be worried since it is our first sail and Tiffany should be here awake and standing. She can just sleep afterwards.” I groaned.

 

“You’re supposed to be on my side, Kwon. Agreeing with Jessica about every little thing is making me tired as well.”

 

“…don’t be so worried, Taengoo…” Tiffany mumbled, awaking for a bit and stepped away. She showed a small mischievous smile to Jessica before saying, “It’s okay if I lose some sleep for a bit…but if Jessica loses even just half an hour of her sleep, hell breaks loose.” She managed to say but still looked sleepy as ever.

 

Jessica looked at her with a look of astonishment; as if she wasn’t suppose to divulge any of that information.

 

“What do you mean?” Yuri and I asked.

 

“If someone keeps her awake or if somebody wakes her up…they won’t be able to leave the room without an injury.” Tiffany continued to say just above the tone of a mumble and laughed lightly.

 

“Tiffany, stop. Talking.” Jessica demanded, glaring holes in her.

 

“Really? Even if it was someone she was involved with?” Yuri dared to ask.

 

“Well…” Tiffany glanced at her fuming sister then turned back to us. “Let’s just say that person won’t be able to leave bed orfall asleep.”

 

Yuri and I widened our eyes as we both just got the sentence.

 

“OKAY! THAT’S ENOUGH OUT OF YOU!” Jessica said in an icy cold tone, with a smile so fake that it looked like she was either in pain or total rage. She pushed Tiffany to the side where they had a conversation that was almost inaudible but I caught their sentences. “How could you tell that to them?!” She whispered.

 

Tiffany smiled widely, just managing to stand while tilting. “Revenge. Did you seriously have to pull me out of bed instead of shaking me awake first?”

 

I laughed at the cute sister relationship they had. I turned to Yuri, saying, “Aren’t they the most adorable—“ But I stopped my sentence, seeing Yuri stare at Jessica with a distant look, as if she was imagining something. I chuckled and pushed her lightly to wake her up from her daydream.

 

“What?!” Yuri exclaimed, regaining her balance from my push.

 

“You’re out of your mind, Yuri.” I stated, shaking my head at the fact and laughing at the same time.

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. Argh! I’m just—I’ll just—I’m gonna go check on the crew.” She mumbled and started marching off, whispering curse words to herself.

 

I chuckled a bit more at the love-struck girl before I was approached by Sooyoung and Tiffany’s Quartermaster, Hyoyeon. “Captain.” Sooyoung started. “All crews have reported that we are ready to sail.”

 

~~~

 

            “All hands on deck!” I shouted to the crew as I stood on the bridge. Everyone started to double check everything and brace themselves from leaving the island that we’ve been living on during construction. “Hoist anchor!” I announced and they pulled up the anchor, allowing our ship to float freely.

 

I was approached by Yoona with a nervous smile. “Captain, who will be our pilot for this journey?”  I turned to her, seeing Sunny to be behind her as well.

 

“Uhm…” I mumbled, unsure about my decision. I wanted Yoona as my pilot but of course that’s just me being biased to my old crew. “Fany-ah.” I  called, twirling to my back where Tiffany was chatting with Jessica.

 

“Yep?” She replied after walking towards us.

 

“Who’s gonna be our pilot?”

 

“Oh. Uh…” Tiffany looked as confused as I did when I first heard their question. We had no problem with the other people on our crew since we were able to build a ship big enough and we only had to lay off on a few people. We didn’t even have any trouble with our officers and just decided to have everyone still on board. But the pilot was really a huge issue since there was only one wheel to steer. “Maybe they could take turns for steering the ship.”

 

“Yeah but what about today?” Sunny asked, looking a bit impatient.

 

“Err…” Tiffany and I continued to prolong the awkward decision making we were supposed to do. We both had too much pride to show our own biasness to our crew.

 

“Oh for goodness’ sake.” Jessica interrupted stood in front of us. “You two, play rock-paper-scissors, winner gets to be pilot for 3 hours.”

 

“What?! That sounds childish, doesn’t it?” Yoona and Sunny disagreed to the idea. I turned to Tiffany, looking at her with a look of disbelief on how her sister was solving this problem. She just smiled lightly and shrugged.

 

“Well it’s either that or you’ll let these two decide which will take 2 years.”

 

Our pilots looked at us then back at Jessica before finally turning to each other with their fists on their palms, getting ready to play. I was kind of annoyed by what just happened. I mean, come on, Jessica’s been pushing my buttons ever since we decided to merge. I didn’t know how Tiffany was able to stand her older sister or how Yuri can be smitten around this woman. Am I the only one that isn’t warming up to her any time soon?

 

“Rock-paper-scissors!” They exclaimed and the result came to Yoona being rock and Sunny being scissors. “YES!” Yoona shouted in victory.

 

“Darn.” Sunny mumbled and sighed, backing away.

 

Tiffany chuckled and stepped away from me to pat Sunny’s back for comfort. “Nice one, Yoong.” I grinned as she took her place behind the wheel. “We’ll be going on my command.”

 

“Aye aye, Cap’n.” She smiled widely and played with the steering wheel for a while.

 

“C’mon.” I pulled Tiffany down the bridge and across the main deck, running to prow where we could feel the full sensation of our first sail. [Prow – The back end of a ship.]

 

As we ran across the deck, I called all the officers to join the first sail of our Fallen Angel.

 

The sun was high and bright in the sky with the wind blowing in perfect strength that we needed. The timing for sailing couldn’t be any more perfect.

 

Tiffany and I waited until everyone was present to see the moment as we will. Once both of our first mates and quartermasters, along with Sunny and Tiffany’s medic, Seohyun were here, I turned to Tiffany with a smile on my face. “Wanna do it together?”

 

She giggled and smiled back. “Like I won’t.” I smiled wider and pulled her close to me before we both announced. “Full speed ahead!!” The whole crew responded to our command, saying ‘Aye Aye Cap’n!’. Everyone loosened the ropes, revealing our sails for the first time ever, sending the ship out of the shore and into the water. Yoona started to steer and soon, our ship was sailing proudly across the sapphire blue sea.

 

I couldn’t stop the smile forming on my face as we were finally sailing after the longest time. Together.

 

Everyone smiled back proudly at us. Jessica, Yuri, Sooyoung, Hyoyeon, Sunny and Seohyun. I could even feel the wide alligator grin Yoona must be giving us now even if she was across this humongous ship.

 

I turned to the girl that had my arm wrapped around her waist, still not stopping my smile. She slowly turned to me as well, beaming at me.

 

We both turned to our back, leaning against the fence to look over the sparkling waters as the wind blew in our hair. Tiffany placed her head on my shoulder and we both sighed happily.

 

“Hey, Fany…” I whispered.

 

“Yes, TaeTae…?”

 

“Are you happy with this? With us?”

 

Silence took over the both of us, making me a bit nervous. But Tiffany turned around and wrapped her arms around my neck before leaning to kiss my lips.

 

I suddenly felt myself engulfed in the moment, wanting it to last forever. Everything felt perfect as we kissed. And when she pulled away, she smiled sweetly at me and whispered. “Kim Taeyeon…I’ll forever be happy with you. Through everything that we’re gonna face. As long as our hearts are beating as one, I promise you that you’re the only one who can give me such unique happiness.”

 

I instantly smiled and leaned to capture her lips.

 

---

 

Chapter 10. 4 more chapters to go *heart breaks*