Surreal

Love At Sea

 

        “Taeyeon! Taeyeon!!” Yuri’s voice blared in my ears followed by a series of loud bangs on my door, causing me to wake up. “Wake up!! It’s noon!” She continued to shout. I groaned, rolling around my bed before finally dragging myself out.

 

“I’m up!!” I shouted back, finally getting enough of being irritated. Hearing continuous shouts and banging on my door isn’t something I want to hear first thing in the morning.

 

I put on my coat and shoes before leaving my room, seeing Yuri waiting for me right outside. “You’ve never woken up this late before. What did you and Tiffany do, last night?” She stated, failing to stifle a laugh.

 

“We just talked.” I mumbled and stretched.

 

“Sure.” She replied, turning her back on me and walked to the main deck. I ignored the fact that she was obviously making up even more comments about Tiffany and just walked past her, wanting to check the progress.

 

As soon as I stepped up onto the deck, I saw that everyone was mostly on deck, preparing the ropes and patching up sails and checking everything was battened down, not on the hull where the damages are. I looked around, a bit surprised. Are they done already?

 

Sooyoung approached me with a wide smile. “Ready to set sail, Captain.”

 

“We were supposed to stay here for another day, how can you guys be done already?” I mumbled, fairly overwhelmed as we both walked across the deck.

 

 She just grinned widely. I turned back at her, smiling back. “I’m very impressed, Sooyoung.” I commented, looking around. “Tell the crew that they’ve done excellently.” I smiled before walking to the bridge where Yoona was preparing to steer.

 

I stood in beside the helm, watching my crew do all their duties before I smiled proud and shouted, “All hands on deck! Set sail, full speed ahead!!” And at my command, everybody started scrambling around on deck. One was pulling up the anchor, handfuls were climbing up the ropes to release the sails and others were tightening ropes.

 

“Where are we headed, captain?” Yoona, behind me, asked. I turned to her, announcing with a big grin.

 

“Set course to the northern islands.”

 

“Aye aye, Captain!” And as soon as the wind pushed my sails, making the ship move out farther into the deeper waters, we were finally sailing once again.

 

~~~

 

It felt good to finally be out on the open waters again…to feel that sea breeze blowing on you and the sight of your ship standing proud and strong. Hearing the waves crash against the ship as the scenery around you passes by slow and steady. It’s one of the reasons why I decided to choose the life of the pirate. You can always have a moment of peace.

 

As I stood around the stern, leaning against the railing to watch the passing landscape, I felt Yuri’s presence behind me. I smiled and mumbled, “I’m not thinking about Tiffany. Tease me all you want.”

 

She laughed and stood beside me, leaning against the railing as well. “I wasn’t planning to tease you as of this moment. But if you insist—“

 

“No don’t!” I quickly said before she could start. Yuri laughed once more.

 

“All kidding aside, what happened last night that made you so…cheerful today? You’ve been smiling all this time.”

 

“Hmm…” I looked over the waters as I remembered the conversation last night.

 

“…Thank you.” She whispered. “For saving me. Thank you for saving me.” She smiled. “Jessica got lost and I didn’t have any weapon, I didn’t even expect another pirate to be on this island.  If you weren’t there, I’d probably be…” She smiled while she looked down for a second before looking back at me. “Well, you wouldn’t have anyone to hate anymore.”

 

I closed my eyes, running her words all over my mind until I felt a gentle smile wash over my face. “Nothing much.” I replied, opening my eyes to watch the scenery again. “Aside from the fact that we’re finally sailing again.”

 

We both turned to each other, staring at each others faces before Yuri smiled at me. “What?” I asked, smiling back.

 

“Have you fallen in love before?” I blushed at the comment, not wanting to meet eyes with her as I replied.

 

“I don’t know…”

 

“Then you haven’t.” Yuri said with a grin on her face, stepping away from the rail. A second later, I felt her whisper in my ear. “If you and Tiffany get together, don’t hide it from me.”

 

“Wha—“ When I turned to reply to her irreverent remark, she was already stepping down to the main deck. I sighed. “Yul’s the same as ever.”

 

~~~

 

           

“Heave to and Drop Anchor!” I shouted upon the crew as we were about 5 meters away from the island. I walked to the Main deck where Yuri and Sooyoung were present while the crew dropped the anchor and adjusting the sails so the ship comes to a standstill.

 

“Sooyoung, gather a team of 10 and bring 4 people with you that carry baskets before setting into the forest and gather as much fruit as you can.”

 

“Yes, Captain!” She replied and walked past me.

 

“Yuri. I need you to gather the strikers to gather seafood down on the beach. Make sure no one will keep some for themselves. You know where the nets, harpoons and baskets are.” [strikers = expert hunters who trapped sea turtles and manatees; fished for sharks and other large fish; and also hunted wild game when the crew came ashore.]

 

“Yep~” She replied with a smile and walked past me too. “Oh hey.” She called out, making me turn to me.

 

“Hm?”

 

“What are you gonna do while we collect resources?”

 

“I’ll scout the area.”

 

“Bring weapons.” She grinned. “You might see your fair maiden in distress again.” She teased before running to the lower deck. I rolled my eyes at her statement as I walked to my quarters to grab a gun and sword.

 

~~~

 

            I walked along the shore, aiming to walk around this island just in case there were other ships trying to collect resources as well. Right before I could walk away from the ship any farther, I saw Sooyoung enter the forest with some of the members and Yuri dropping down fishing materials on the beach. I smiled at all of them before disappearing to the other side of the island.

 

After walking 20 minutes around this place, I stood on my toes, looking around. “The place is pretty much deserted…” I mumbled to myself, stopping for a brief moment.

 

I took a few more steps forward, wanting to make sure. “Alright. I should head back—“

 

I turned my attention to the voice behind me. It was definitely a girl…she was singing in a language I wasn’t familiar with. But even though I didn’t know the lyrics, she was still singing so angelically. I was hypnotized.

 

“You’re so close but still a world away~ What I’m dying to say, is that I’m crazy for you…touch me once and you know it’s true.”

 

I walked forward, looking for the source.

 

“Slowly now we begin to move…Every breath I’m deeper into you. Soon we two are standing still in time.”

 

And my eyes turned to the figure coming up from the horizon, walking at the same pace I was. She was looking down as she sang even more powerful, as if she meant every word. I just stood there, admiring her voice while I stared at her beautiful face.

 

“You’ll feel it my kiss…You’ll feel it in my kiss because I’m crazy for you. Touch me once and you know it’s true. I never wanted anyone like this.”Soon, we were only a few meters apart and as she seemed to end the song, she finally looked at my eye-level. “T-Taeyeon!” She exclaimed, looking shocked.

 

“Hi Tiffany.” I smiled sheepishly.

 

“H-Hi.” She replied, giving the same smile I was giving.  “We weren’t following you. I’m not here to attack so don’t—“

 

“No, it’s okay.” I laughed at the adorable panic mode she was in. “We’re both here for the food, right?” She nodded. “Then we’re okay.” I smiled.

 

She grinned at me, chuckling a bit. “Well, I’m just exploring the area for other pirates. And that other pirate seemed to be you.”

 

“Same here.”  I answered back, still smiling.

 

“Yeah…well…I’ll be going back to my ship now.” She mumbled, giving a final smile before turning her back on me.

 

But no, I didn’t want her to go. I wanted more from her…my heart yearns for more time with her. I want to know more about her. I want her to…

 

I want her to love me back.

 

“Hey wait.” I called. Why is my heart beating so fast…

 

“Yeah?” She responded, turning back to me.

 

“Do you want to…talk for a while?” I breathed in deep and held my breath, hoping that she’ll say yes.

 

She giggled, replying with, “Are you really Kim Taeyeon?” I blushed, looking away and turning back.

 

“N-Never mind. See you next time, Tiffany.” I hesitated, suddenly feeling so stupid for asking her that question.

 

Soon, I heard a fast pace of footsteps afterwards, a grip on my arm. “That didn’t mean I didn’t want to, pabo.” I turned back, seeing her putting on a unique eye-smile. I stared at her for a second before I realized what she has just said and finally, I smiled back at her. It’s like a big weight lifted from my chest.

 

~~~

 

            “Alright so what did you want to talk about?” She asked as we took shelter from this sun under a pair of coconut trees.

 

“Hmm…I don’t really know.”

 

“What?” She turned to me, surprised. “So we’re basically just wasting our time?” I nodded. I honestly did not know what to say. I just wanted to spend more time with her. I already felt kinda happy being this close to her actually…

 

“Did you…hit your head or something? ‘Cause first, you’re being so nice to me and now you want to waste your time?” She stared at me as if I had the most peculiar thing on my face. “Is this a trap?” She asked, starting to stand up.

 

“No no! This isn’t a trap.” I quickly countered, pulling her back down. She still stared at me, eyeing me carefully. “…what should I do so that you don’t think this is a trap?”

 

“Let’s put all our weapons far away from here.”

 

“Fine with me.” We both stood up and walked nearer to the forest. I pulled my sword out and plunged it to the ground then got my gun and placed it near the sword. Tiffany did the same, only she had 4 guns on her. Specifically…two in her coat and two in each of her ankles. “Wow. What were you expecting to fight?” I stated, still staring at her in surprise while we walk back to our original spot.

 

“Jessica wanted to be sure that I was safe since last time, I almost died if you weren’t there.” She explained before sitting down with me.

 

“Oh. You two are close.” I remarked.

 

She grinned, staring out onto the sea. “It’s because she’s my older sister.”

 

“What? You two don’t look like each other.”

 

“She’s my step sister. My mom died when I was young…and my father remarried.” She explained, surprisingly calm.

 

“I’m sorry.” I whispered, finding the courage to move even closer to her.

 

“It’s okay. I shouldn’t even be telling you this.” She chuckled. “You must be bored.” I shook my head.

 

“Not at all. Tell me more about you. I’ll listen, I promise.” I insisted. Knowing about her life intrigued me…for all my life, I cared for no one else but myself and Yuri and it was only because she was like a sister to me. She’s making me feel so many things at the same time that I’ve never thought existed until I just realized my feelings for her. It’s scary…but feels good.

 

She looked at me, surprised. “You’re out of your mind.” She laughed.

 

“I’m serious, Tiffany.”

 

“But why? You hate me. How can you be so interested in your enemy’s life?” How I wish I can tell you the reason but I’m scared. You’ll reject me for sure.

 

“I’m…I’m just interested. You look like an interesting person.” I lied.

 

She looked at me funny for a second but turned back to the sea. “Hmm…if you say so.” I smiled wide, seeing as she bought it. “I was born and raised in America before moving to Korea when I was 15. That’s when my father trained me the ropes in sailing a ship, taught me how to handle a sword and aiming a gun.”

 

“So the song you were singing earlier was English?” She blushed and glanced at me shyly, nodding. “No wonder I didn’t understand anything.”

 

She suddenly flinched, standing up straight and looked at me as if she discovered something extraordinary. “You don’t understand not one bit of English?” I shook my head. She turned to the ocean with a deep gaze.

 

“Tiffany?” I said, trying to see if she’s still with me.

 

“Not one word?” She asked, turning back to me. I shook my head again. “Are you sure?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

She stared at me for a moment before saying, “Not even this?” She paused for a moment before talking in English, which I couldn’t understand at all. “I think I’ve been slowly falling for you the moment you saved my life. I don’t know how but I am. I love you. I think I’m in love with you. You’re my enemy but I love you.”

 

I shook my head. “I did not understand any word you just said.” She suddenly grinned, sighing happily and started laughing. “What? Did you just make fun of me?” I grumbled. She just continued laughing. “Tiffany.”

 

She finally stopped, smiling at me. “Never.”

 

I smiled back, feeling relief. “Then what did you say?”

 

“…hmm…I said thank you for saving me in English. It’s the best thing that’s ever happened to me.” She mumbled, showing an eye-smile.

 

“Y-You’re welcome…again.” I stuttered, feeling my cheeks blush.

 

~~~

 

We ended up talking for hours. She told me so much about her that I just had to tell something about myself, before I knew it, it was already sunset.

 

“Seriously? Your first mate is better in sword fighting than you? That’s the silliest thing I’ve ever heard.” Tiffany said as she failed to stifle a laugh, releasing loud laughter after she finished her sentence.

 

“Hey! It’s not my fault that she’s taller!” I whined, slamming my hand on the sand. “At least I could run circles around you.” I countered.

 

That’s when she stopped laughing to look at me with a raised eyebrow. “Is that a challenge?”

 

“There’s no challenge, milady. I just defeated you in a battle a few days ago.” She flinched, having an offended expression.

 

“That was sheer luck. You had a gun with you, if you didn’t have one, I would’ve grabbed my sword and defeated you.”

 

“The gun has nothing to do with it!”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Yeah!” I replied, proudly. She stood up, looking down on me.

 

“Prove it.”

 

“What?”

 

“Prove. It.” She challenged, running to the place where we put our weapons and came back with both of our swords, handing mine to me.

 

I stared at the sword that hung in the air as she stared at me expectantly. “You’re on.” I answered, standing up and taking my sword.

 

We walked to the middle of the area, making sure that was nothing that could get in our way and pointed our swords at each other. “Ready. Set.” I mumbled, keeping my eye on her. “Go!”

 

She recklessly charged at me, making the blocking easy enough right before we could collide with each other. Our faces were so close. “That all you got?” I teased, intimidating her.

 

“Not by a long shot, Taengoo.” She smirked and twirled backwards to separate our swords, charging back by series of attacks.

 

I managed to avoid every move she made, managing a few counterattacks yet unfortunately, she was too quick.

 

“Not bad for a shortie.” She teased with that familiar smirk.

 

The rivalry came back in my mind, before I knew it, a part of me woke up, wanting to actually defeat her. “Don’t. Call me that.” I muttered and charged at her with a combination me and Yuri developed together. It required speed and focus. If you did it right, the opponent will remain unarmed and at the end of your sword in a matter of seconds.

 

I couldn’t help but snicker as I saw her overwhelmed face at the speed of technique I gave her.

 

“Wait…T-Taeyeon. Wait!” She exclaimed, looking a bit anxious. But I still kept going, thinking that she was afraid to lose this challenge. “A-Ahh!” She yelped and suddenly fell to the floor, pulling me in with her. Good thing we both let go our swords by instinct before the inclined structure of the beach made us roll down until we reached the shore.

 

“O-Ow…” I hissed, pushing myself up slightly with the support of my arms, my eyes still closed.

 

“That hurt…” Tiffany’s voice whispered. I opened my eyes and found her under me, our faces so close. My heart started beating faster and louder again, feeling the warmth emitting between us. My nose was filled with the scent of vanilla every second I breathed.

 

I was completely paralyzed by the sight before me. I took a second to take the chance of analyzing her in this close range… my eyes landed on the necklace her mother gave her…the beauty mark on her neck…her pink lips…and her eyes. She was staring at me right back. “T-Taeyeon…” She whispered.

 

We stared at each others eyes, losing ourselves in them. I felt like I could stare at them for hours…they were just so beautiful. Then I got hypnotized, like I wasn’t even the person that was controlling myself, I just felt my arms bending and my face leaning…toward her lips.

 

When she her lips, the urge in me just powered up, leaning even faster. I hovered my lips against hers, brushing against them lightly. But it seems like Tiffany couldn’t wait anymore as she leaned herself, capturing my lips with hers.

 

It all felt like a dream. A wonderful dream.

 

The sensation of her lips against mine was indescribable. The softness of her lips…the way they felt so right, it was like they were made to fit together.

 

I felt her hands being placed on my cheeks, caressing them lightly as our kiss got deeper.

 

It was only after a minute we decided to pull away, slowly. We both lingered, neither of us wanting this moment to end.

 

I was breathless and most of all, speechless. We just stared in each other’s eyes, not knowing what to say after that. I was still in denial, trying to convince myself that this wasn’t a dream. “Captain Tiffany!!” A familiar voice shouted behind me.

 

We both quickly stood up, not wanting anyone to see us. “T-That’s Sica…” She mumbled, looking down with pink cheeks. “I-I’ll s-see you next time.” She stuttered, running away before I could say anything.

 

“S-Sure.” I managed to answer back.