Dancing Instruction

Falling Stars (On Hiatus)

Word Count: ~1.5k

 

“Yixing hyung? Can you hep me with my form on this dance? I’m not sure whether I’m getting it exactly right,” Sehun asked innocently after practice.

“Sure.” Yixing smiled and Sehun almost squeaked with excitement. Sehun checked the time quickly.

“Do you think we have time for one run through before we meet with everyone else?”

“They will probably wait for us,” Yixing replied before going into his bag for his ipod and hooking it up to the speakers. He quickly scrolled through the music while Sehun moved into position. Mirotic began and Sehun began to dance, concentrating on every movement of each muscle in order to do it as perfectly as he could. At the end of it, he was breathing hard.

Yixing had been watching the performance thoughtfully the whole time. “You seem a little stiff and jerky,” Yixing commented. “Just relax a little and flow with the music.” Yixing turned back to the chorus of the song and went over the movements as fluidly as water flowing down a glass dome and Sehun stared at beautiful boy before him.

“See?” Sehun continued staring like an idiot and Yixing chuckled. “Why don’t you try this with me?” He stood in front of Sehun. “Move like this and when you’re changing directions, try and go in a semi circle to turn around instead of stopping suddenly and then going backwards.” Sehun tried it, but in an attempt to look perfect, his movements were still rather robotic.

Yixing came around to stand behind Sehun and lightly grasped the boy’s wrist. He guided Sehun’s arm in the arc he was describing like a puppet master. He noticed the red that came to the back of the boy’s neck.

“No now we add the steps,” he instructed as he guided Sehun’s arm so that he could follow with his feet and they did the chorus with Yixing guiding Sehun lightly at the wrists. “Just loosen up a little and it should get smoother.” He smiled, dimples showing as he released the younger’s wrists at the end. “If you still want help, we can practice back in our room,” Yixing said lightly. Sehun took it just a little differently before he realised what Yixing actually said. Yixing noticed Sehun’s embarrassed look, the one that he found so endearing.

“S-sure. That sounds great.” They smiled at one another until Yixing’s phone rang with Gee, Jongdae’s custom ringtone, which made Sehun jump.

“What is it Jongdae?” Yixing asked.

“It’s already 6:00! Where are you and Sehun?”

“I’m just in the dance studio helping Sehun,” he replied innocently. “We were just about to leave, actually. After we shower, we’ll be right out to meet you guys.” He quickly hit “end call” before Jongdae could protest or make some sort of snarky remark.

“Let’s go. We don’t want to keep the others waiting.” They collected their belongings and headed to the showers.

 

--

 

“So, just the two of you practicing together in an empty dance studio,” Jongdae said, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.

“You need to get your mind out of the gutter, Jongdae,” Sehun replied. “It isn’t what you make it out to sound like.”

“Oh it’s exactly what I’m making it out to be. You got some serious alone time with Yixing. I bet he’s a very good teacher, if you know what I mean. He can show you how to move and show you all of the positions and the things that he’s learned.”

“I think that’s enough, Jongdae ah,” Joonmyun chided lightly.

“Yeah. Listen to Joonmyun hyung and stop with all of this suggestive talk,” Sehun added.

“It’s only suggestive if you make it suggestive,” he replied simply. “Besides, nothing like that happened, so give up on it, Jongdae,” Sehun huffed.

Jongdae, Joonmyun, and Yixing just laughed. Chanyeol began laughing loudly and hysterically because that was just how he laughed. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo were caught up in Chanyeol’s happy virus and soon all seven of them were laughing like idiots. When they all finally calmed down again, it was time for dinner and the dining hall was open.

 

--

 

The dance class continued with pair dancing, although this time, it wasn’t the classical boy-girl pair dancing, it was simply a duet with student choreography. The partners had to choreograph complimentary parts and then perform in front of the class the following week. Luckily enough, Sehun was partnered with Yixing, which gave him an excuse to spend more time alone with him. Sehun hoped that maybe, just maybe, through this, he could get one step closer to winning Yixing’s heart. Jongin was extremely frustrated that he didn’t get paired with Sehun, but then again, he still got to help Sehun with chemistry, which was better than nothing.

Yixing and Sehun practiced in their room quite often because the dances studios were usually occupied. It was lucky that they were roommates and could practice together without bothering anyone. The choreography portion of the assignment was difficult for them to come up with on their own, but after a week, they came up with the two complimentary parts. The song they had been given was called “Angel: Into Your World.”

“You would look really cool—I mean it would look really cool if you stood up in a reverse backbend at this part here,” Sehun suggested as they wrote out the step plan.

“That sounds like it could work,” Yixing agreed.

“Even though it is a really smooth song, I think that if we do it correctly, we could pull off more jagged movements alongside the smooth and round ones. How does that sound?”

“As long as we use it in moderation and catch the beats correctly, I think we can do it. So if we put the movements in these places, it would look really good,” Yixing said.

The two of them spent the first week just planning how they would do it before actually starting practice and coordinating their movements.

 

--

 

After another two weeks, they had all of the moves down and were just working on synchronisation. Sehun was often just slightly ahead of the beats.

“You can relax a little Sehun, the beats aren’t suddenly going to disappear if you don’t get ahead of them,” Yixing pointed out.

“I know. It’s just I’m expecting the beat and I get a little impatient,” he sighed, turning pink at the ears, which Yixing found endearing.

“Why don’t we change the order then? I’ll stand in the front for the first part so that you can find the beat and then we can go side-by-side.”

“Okay. That’s fine,” Sehun replied.

Yixing turned the music back to the beginning and they went over it a couple more times with the new footing. At first, Sehun kept going back to the front, forgetting he was supposed to be behind, but after a while, he got the hang of it.

 

--

 

The music was playing as Yixing and Sehun practiced. The two were completely synchronised as they danced, until Sehun tripped over his own feet and landed on top of Yixing. For a moment, all he could do was stare into Yixing’s perfect eyes without saying a word.

“I-I’m so sorry,” he stuttered as he scrambled off, face bright red. Yixing chuckled.

“It’s fine,” he replied smiling.

“Y-yeah. I-I think I’m fine. Are you okay?” Sehun stammered stupidly. Yixing had to admin that the boy was growing on him, from the cute way he looked when he was embarrassed, to the soft voice, to the delicate face. Yixing got to his feet and extended a hand, pulling Sehun to his feet. When he put weight on his left ankle, Sehun winced from the stabbing pain that shot through it.

“Sehun? Are you okay? What happened?” Yixing’s voice quickly filled with concern.

“I think I turned my ankle,” Sehun replied with a grimace. Yixing helped him to the bed so he could take weight off of the injured ankle.

“Just give me a minute, I’ll get some bandages.” Sehun nodded, inwardly cursing. Like this, he might not be able to perform with Yixing, or he might do a rubbish job of it.

Yixing returned after rummaging around in the medicine cabinet. “I have some sprain cream and some bandages. Can you remove your shoe and sock please?” Sehun obliged, turning a little red. Yixing noted the smooth and pale skin covering delicate ankles but tried to ignore the fact that his brain was telling him that it was cute. Yixing began applying the cream.

“I’m sorry about this Yixing ge…”

“Huh? No it’s fine. I don’t really mind,” Yixing replied as he began taping the ankle. Sehun winced. “Well I hope that this doesn’t trouble you too much… It doesn’t look too bad. I’d say that you’ll be find in a week or so. And then we’ll still be okay to perform this in two weeks,” he said, replying to Sehun’s unspoken words.

“I hope so…” Sehun replied.

 

A/N:  I hope you liked it. Things are really going to heat up in the near future!