Chapter 4

Her Small Boy; His Little Girl

For the 6th time, IU’s “mother” rummaged through her already packed suitcase to see if she has brought everything. Jiyeon made sure IU had her favourite strawberry scented perfume, bath foam and shampoo. She also made sure she had her favourite strawberry flavor toothpaste and juice. After repacking everything back into IU’s strawberry designed suitcase, Jiyeon heaved a sigh of satisfaction and lugged the suitcase to the front door.

 

Yes. This girl is just crazy over strawberries.

 

“I’m gonna miss you baby girl. It’s our first time that we’ll be separated and I don’t know how much a portion of food will fill me up. I will miss your cute face that greets me every morning and your childish tantrums that you throw when I don’t cook meat for our meals.”

 

“Oh stop it, you’re making it sound like we’re married.”

 

Nonetheless, the two embraced each other and they felt the warm feeling of sisterhood overwhelm them. It was the first time since IU’s awaken from her coma that she’s going out to live on her own. Even if it were for 2 weeks, it didn’t calm Jiyeon down.

 

Jiyeon was the only one around IU who knew about something that even IU herself didn’t know. All the more, this made her worry. Oh how she wished she could accompany IU to Singapore and make sure that she goes in one piece and comes back in one piece.

 

“Bye bye mummy.” IU waved, holding back her tears.

 

“Bye bye…” Jiyeon let her tears flow freely; she needed to let IU know that she’ll be worrying for her, morally supporting her from America.

 

Just like that, the two separated.

 

“IU, you’re here!” Min Hyuk exclaimed, relieved. They had to check in in 2 minutes but there was no sign of IU up until now.

 

The two ran to the check in counter and quickly checked in their luggage before they leisurely approached the departure hall. Both handed their passports and plane tickets to the securities and swiftly got approved and entered the hall.

 

They had to wait about an hour before their flight gate opens, so they decided to do some shopping.

 

“Look at this, Min Hyuk!” IU ran into the candy store, “Candy Empire”. She awed at the amount of candy displayed at the shop. Looking at her made him think that she was extremely cute and he felt like cuddling her as though she was a huge life-size soft toy.

 

“Do you want to get some?” Min Hyuk offered.

 

IU turned to look up at him, contemplating whether or not she should accept his offer. Well, he was her boss, and it would be awfully wrong to make him buy her stuff.

 

“It’s okay. I’ll just do window shopping.”

 

Flashing Min Hyuk her eye smile, she hopped off to look around at the rest of the shop. Min Hyuk stayed put, thinking if he should get her anything. On one hand, it may not be appropriate for him to buy her stuff. But on the other, she was his supervisee, and it was the supervisor’s job to take care of her…

 

“What the heck, I’ll just scoop a little of each and buy it for her.”

 

Of course, 45 minutes flew by at the blink of an eye, and the announcement was made for all passengers taking Flight 476, otherwise known as the flight IU and Min Hyuk was taking, to approach gate 6 since the plane was prepared for boarding.

 

Min Hyuk continuously sneaked glances at IU, trying to find an appropriate timing to give her the pack of candy he had bought for her.

 

After about 10 minutes of waiting, the gateway was opened, and all passengers started queuing up to board the plane. While waiting in line, Min Hyuk fidgeted uncomfortably, his mind filled with “to give” and “not to give”.

 

Since the stewardesses were efficient, the two were seated very quickly and they buckled their seatbelts, ready for takeoff.

 

“So, IU… I’ve a surprise for you.” Min Hyuk finally mustered enough courage to say.

 

“Oh? What is it?” IU averted her attention to him, excited as to what he has for her.

 

He slowly took out the pack of candy from his backpack and the minute it was in full view to IU, she unconsciously wrapped her arms around him, thanking him profusely. IU had a sweet tooth, and since she couldn’t afford to waste money on candy, she was so happy someone was willing to waste money on it for her.

 

After realizing what she was doing, she immediately let go and let out an awkward cough.

 

“I’m sorry…” she looked away, embarrassed.

 

“It’s okay. Here, enjoy the flight!” Min Hyuk placed the pack of candy gently on her thighs, gave her a small smile and turned to look out of the window. His heart was thumping so hard, he was afraid she could hear it.

 

He still couldn’t believe that she just hugged him. It was his first time ever exchanged such close skinship with a person of the opposite gender that wasn’t his kin.

 

They were 3 hours into the flight, and IU felt her eyelids getting heavy. Min Hyuk, on the other hand, was engrossed in watching his movie, “White House Down”.

 

Suddenly, Min Hyuk felt something heavy land on his right shoulder. He turned towards his right to see that actually, it was IU who had fallen asleep. He smiled at the angelic sight of her sleeping like Sleeping Beauty.

 

He adjusted her head so that the position she was in will be more comfortable, and she can enjoy her deep slumber.

 

“You’re so beautiful when you’re sleeping, IU.”

 

Just like that, Min Hyuk stared at angelic face and soon fell asleep as well.